daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Bangladesh > Cityscapes & Urban Development

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old November 11th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #61
TIslam
Towhid Islam

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayeem007 View Post
Chittagong is predicted to be the 10th fastest growing city in the world. What surprises me is that growth in Chittagong is more than Dhaka!

http://www.citymayors.com/statistics/urban_growth1.html
Perhaps the operative word here is predicted? Because Chittagong, today, is nothing like Dhaka, nowhere near Dhaka.
TIslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 11th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #62
tanzirian

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Chittagong is predicted to be the 10th fastest growing city in the world. What surprises me is that growth in Chittagong is more than Dhaka!

Well, its easier to have higher percentage growth at smaller populations.

Nice video BTW. Not sure about Chittagong in 20 BC...the general area may have been habited but not sure of its importance.
tanzirian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #63
nayeem007

Likes (Received): 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzirian View Post
Well, its easier to have higher percentage growth at smaller populations.
Yes, that is true. But I didn't see Sylhet or any other smaller cities of Bangladesh in the top 100 let alone top ten. But regardless, it's good to see one city outside of Dhaka growing fast, that should take some load off the capital.
nayeem007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #64
mirzazeehan

Likes (Received): 269

Thanks for sharing this Video Nayeem,we need more such initiatives to promote our cities and country.

Quote:
Even with about 15000 buildings under-construction,Dhaka is lagging behind,lol.Well,thats fantastic news,it means we will have another bustling metropolis in the near future.Chittagong surely has a lot of potential.With its scenic location and a little development,it can easily overtake Dhaka in terms of having a beautiful cityscape.
These days,I can finally go to sleep in peace.....for I know,that even when I am asleep,over 2 million workers are working on 15000 building projects including 750 skyscrapers so that I wake up to a new city every morning: Mirza from the changing city of Dhaka,Bangladesh
mirzazeehan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #65
Manazir

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:

what surprises me more is that some of the cities listed are from underdeveloped countries in Africa and Latin America!
Old November 11th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #66
TIslam
Towhid Islam

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirzazeehan View Post
Thanks for sharing this Video Nayeem,we need more such initiatives to promote our cities and country.

Even with about 15000 buildings under-construction,Dhaka is lagging behind,lol.Well,thats fantastic news,it means we will have another bustling metropolis in the near future.Chittagong surely has a lot of potential.With its scenic location and a little development,it can easily overtake Dhaka in terms of having a beautiful cityscape.
I sincerely hope (and pray) the the development(s) in Chittagong shall be done in a deliberate and meticulously planned manner, unlike the haphazard manner in Dhaka. It would be a real pity if people destroy the natural beauty and thereby the ecology of Chittagong, in the name of development.
TIslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #67
nayeem007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manazir View Post
what surprises me more is that some of the cities listed are from underdeveloped countries in Africa and Latin America!
Latin America(Brazil, Argentina, Chile) and certain parts of Africa like (South Africa, Morocco, Egypt) is actually much more developed than South Asia.
Old November 12th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #68
Manazir

No not those countries, I meant like Angola, Congo, Ecuador, etc
Old November 12th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #69
sidkings

Likes (Received): 0

Does anyone know how old these statisics are? Its says from 2006, but I am 100% convinced I have seen this data before somewhere on another website maybe. Im talking from about 1999/2000!! The reason it stuck in my mind was because of Chittagong @ 10 and all these other cities Ive not heard of before.

Do you think this list has been reused? Is it possible that to find another list of cites that are ranked in the same order? Im sure Chittagong does not come into the top 10 in most fastest growing city lists (Although it should do)

Last edited by sidkings; November 12th, 2009 at 06:52 PM.
sidkings no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #70
nayeem007

KFC outlet in Chittagong
Staff Correspondent, CtgKFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken), a concern of Transcom Foods Limited, started journey in the port city through launching its first outlet here yesterday.

Transcom Foods Executive Director Akku Chowdhury inaugurated the outlet at Ameen Centre of Lalkhan Bazar Ispahani Intersection through cutting cake in the afternoon.

"We take pride in making debut in Chittagong, enriched with history of revolution and liberation war," said Chowdhury.

Fanfare and festivity marked the inaugural ceremony.

"Responding to the demand of our valued customers we will introduce some new items to the existing 11 secret spices recipes while ensuring further first-rated services and overall outstanding dining experience,” he said.

The company boss hoped that the international chain's new outlet would add an extra appeal to the customers.

"We have a plan to open a outlet in the beach city of Cox's Bazar soon," he said.

Both KFC and Pizza Hut are subsidiaries of the world's largest International restaurant company Yum. Pizza Hut has also been successfully serving in
Chittagong since 2005.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=113849
Old November 13th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #71
jjsheed

Likes (Received): 1

I know this has probably been discussed a ton before, but where the hell is McDonald's and why have they not entered the Bangladeshi market?!? In fact, BD and Vietnam are pretty much the two remaining largest nations that Mickey D's does not have a restaurant in. Someone should alert the powers that be in McDonald's about these two goldmines.
jjsheed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #72
dopekhor
bleh!

Likes (Received): 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsheed View Post
I know this has probably been discussed a ton before, but where the hell is McDonald's and why have they not entered the Bangladeshi market?!? In fact, BD and Vietnam are pretty much the two remaining largest nations that Mickey D's does not have a restaurant in. Someone should alert the powers that be in McDonald's about these two goldmines.
nope no gold mine here for them as of yet, hell bk isnt even in india

kfc n pizza hut make a messly amount of money when it is converted into usd!
dopekhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #73
sas

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopekhor View Post
nope no gold mine here for them as of yet, hell bk isnt even in india

kfc n pizza hut make a messly amount of money when it is converted into usd!
Interestingly, McDonald's has been there for a long time in India and understandably has significant presence. KFC outlets aren't that apparent in India. In fact, when I visited Bombay for the first time around the summer of 2006 my friends told me they had only one outlet in this area called Bandra. I was there again last month and was informed that they still have that one outlet.

From what I've heard KFC plans to have around 20 outlets across Bangladesh over the course of the next five years. However, Pizza Hut won't have more than 5-6, as KFC clearly requires more volume and thus has a greater addressable market. They can easily have outlets in Maghbazar, Uttara, Mirpur and Motijheel and definitely in Sylhet.
sas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #74
tanzirian

Maizbhandari Center (a sufi mazar) - photo by Maizbhandar:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old November 16th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #75
jjsheed

Likes (Received): 1

This is another of the four major Sufi shrines in Maizbhandar sharif. This shrine happens to be of my maternal great grandfather. You can find more information and pictures at http://www.sufimaizbhandari.org/index.htm , (website can use a little updating )
jjsheed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 05:31 AM   #76
dopekhor
bleh!

Old November 17th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #77
Manazir

u took this picture? if so, when did u visit lol?
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #78
dopekhor
bleh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manazir View Post

u took this picture? if so, when did u visit lol?
got it off facebook
Old November 17th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #79
tanzirian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopekhor View Post
got it off facebook
Thanks for the pic, Dope, but please add a credit for the photographer.
Old November 25th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #80
tanzirian

Fanciful Chandanpura Mosque (plus, of course, the ubiquitous telephone wire that helps improve the view of all our major monuments).

Photo by Sarah.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: