daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 7th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #21
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

- CANON'S MARSH -

Canon's Marsh is an inner city area of Bristol, England, of approximately one square kilometre. Canon's Marsh is situated on the north side of Floating Harbour, just to the west of the River Frome spur (St. Augustine's Reach) of the harbour. Canon's Marsh borders Hotwells to the west, Clifton to the north, and the city centre to the north east. It is debatable now as to whether Canon's Marsh is within the centre. Canon's Marsh was a shipbuilding area until the last yard closed in 1904, incorporating two of Teast's Docks, and including J&W Peters shipyard.

Canon's Wharf was once one of the busiest quays in the docks, with its own branch of the Bristol Harbour Railway, cranes and a goods shed. The area was also the location of the city gas works. With the decline of industry throughout the 20th century Canon's Marsh was cleared to make way for urban renewal. Due to pollution, however, the gas works remained derelict for several years. The area is now the location of @Bristol, the South West offices of Lloyds TSB bank, a campus of City of Bristol College and many bars, restaurants, apartment buildings and offices. The area has unergone a lot of regentrification since 2005 and I leavit up to you as to whether it has been for the best or not.

01. The Glass Dome of the @Bristol Complex

02. Millenium Square, the Largest Open Area

03. Pitcher & Piano, One of Many Bars

04. Pero's Bridge

05. The View West Towards Hotwells

06. Lloyd's TSB Building

07. New Apartment Buildings

08. Lloyd's TSB Building

09. View of Canon's Marsh from Prince Street

10. One of Many Days For Sunbathing

11. Newly Built Ibis Hotel and Carpe Diem

12. Fairly Recent Apartments

13. Fairly Recent Apartments

14. The City of Bristol College Campus

15. Modern Apartment Spiral

16. View East from Hotwells across the Waterfront

17. The S.S. Great Britain on the South Bank

18. Construction on Cathedral Walk

19. The Terrace Caffe Gusto

20. The View Northwest to Hotwells

21. Newly Built Apartments

22. Newly-Build and Construction

23. The S.S. Great Britain

24. Cabot Tower from Canon's Marsh

25. View of Canon's Marsh and Hotwells
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #22
Madman

Likes (Received): 40

Simply stunning, Bristol is such a fascinating city which deserves far more attention. Sadly for many people who enter the city they are greated by areas such as around the principal railway station, Temple Meads, which really let the city down and a lack of a comphrehensive approach to urban spaces that would improve cohesion in the urban fabric. In addition though much of the city has been regenerated it has lacked the iconic building projects that have boosted the likes of Liverpool, Manchester and Glasgow.

Studying at the University of Bath for four years, I was spoilt for attractive urban planning and so along with my fellow students and neighbours approached Bristol as a rather minging older ugly sister who was best avoided apart from for a quick dash to the mian stream shops that Bath city centre thought it was too posh to provide or for catching a connecting train. Looking over your pics reminds me of what a wealth of vitality and diversity of streetscape Brizzle posesses (you just often have to be good at finiding them!).
Madman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #23
Patachou

Likes (Received): 16

Bristol is a fascinating city, beautiful pictures
Patachou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #24
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
Beautiful pictures! Bristol really is an amzing city.
Thanks mate. Well it's only a hop across the Bristol Channel from you and equally Cardiff is for me. I must come and visit Cardiff again this summer with my latest camera. I really do like Cardiff's downtown feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gea View Post
Bristol does not look like typical English city.It`s really surprising.
As somebody said before, it`s not gray.
Nice city-nice photos!
Well I'm glad you think that. Bristol is one of the country's oldest cities. During the 1500s, London was the largest UK city at 60,000 and the other wo largest were Norwich and Bristol with 10,000. Now the city is even older than that but as such, it has changed over time and has an array of different styles and ages of architecture and so is colourful in that respect. Many other more modern British cities I find a little too samey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas star View Post
I love England so much!!!!!!!
Thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisian Girl View Post
I'm trying to remember if this is the bridge that is the crossing into Wales??

Great photos!
No, that is the Clifton Suspension Bridge which goes across the Avon Gorge from the inner suburb of Clifton to the outer area of Leigh Woods. This is the Severn Crossing into Wales: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...est_750pix.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Simply stunning, Bristol is such a fascinating city which deserves far more attention. Sadly for many people who enter the city they are greated by areas such as around the principal railway station, Temple Meads, which really let the city down and a lack of a comphrehensive approach to urban spaces that would improve cohesion in the urban fabric. In addition though much of the city has been regenerated it has lacked the iconic building projects that have boosted the likes of Liverpool, Manchester and Glasgow.

Studying at the University of Bath for four years, I was spoilt for attractive urban planning and so along with my fellow students and neighbours approached Bristol as a rather minging older ugly sister who was best avoided apart from for a quick dash to the mian stream shops that Bath city centre thought it was too posh to provide or for catching a connecting train. Looking over your pics reminds me of what a wealth of vitality and diversity of streetscape Brizzle posesses (you just often have to be good at finiding them!).
I see what you are saying about the arrival at Temple Meads. I actually find the sight of the numerous tower blocks of Easton and Barton Hillquite eyecatching as you come in from Bath but otherwise the area is a little quiet, and as many say, it doesn't have that 'vibrant city' feel that so many cities do have. They could start by filling in some of the gaps. Block the views of unused warehouses and renovate derelict ones. Finally they are seeing to the old Parcel Force building off Bath Bridge.

As for the Temple Quay development, I totally agree by what you say about a more monumental building. There is something absent from the area and it is exactly that. The new build by Millenium Bridge has a potential iconic appearance but just isn't high enough. We need something higher than 15 floors, 20 ideally to be a landmark of that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patachou View Post
Bristol is a fascinating city, beautiful pictures
Thanks for the support mate.
Old April 19th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #25
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

- REDCLIFFE -

Redcliffe is a district of Bristol, almost adjoining the city centre. It is surrounded by the loop of the Floating Harbour (including Bathurst Basin) to the west, north and east, the New Cut of the River Avon to the south and Temple Way and Temple Gate to the south-east. Most of Redcliffe lies within the city ward of Lawrence Hill, although the western most section, including the cliffs and hill from which the area takes its name, is in Cabot ward.

Redcliffe takes its name from the red sandstone cliffs which line the southern side of the Floating Harbour, behind Phoenix Wharf and Redcliffe Wharf. These cliffs maintain tunnels constructed both to extract sand for the local glass making industry and to act as store houses for goods. Part of the last remaining glass kiln in the area is now the Kiln Restaurant of the Hilton National Hotel in Redcliffe Way. The parish church of St. Mary Redcliffe is one of Bristol's best known churches, with a spire soaring to a height of 90mASL (292ft).

Redcliffe was originally classed as another city, separate to Bristol, during the Middle Ages. In the 13th century Redcliffe and Bristol underwent a rapid expansion and in King Henry III 's reign, due to a 'major harbour improvement' (Broad Quay or St. Augustines Reach), Redcliffe was ordered by the King to assist in this project designed to increase trade to the area.

Redcliffe Wharf as viewed from Bristol Bridge

Bristol Bridge links Redcliffe on the right with the City Centre of the left

Construction is always taking place, and merging with the area of Temple.

Redcliffe Street

One Redcliffe Street is the highest building in the district

Portwall Lane

The South End of Redcliffe Street

The View West from Redcliffe Bridge

One Redcliffe Street from St. Thomas Street

The City Centre from Redcliffe

Redcliffe Bridge

Redcliffe Wharf

View North from Redcliffe Bridge

...and one last look at Redcliffe Bridge

Flats on Redcliffe Backs

The Roundabout

The Roundabout

St. Mary Redcliffe itself

The Flying Buttresses at St. Mary Redcliffe

Temple Circus

St. Mary Redcliffe from Temple Meads

Temple Meads Station

Buildings along Portwall

Redcliffe Wharf

A Pub on Bathurst Basin

St. Mary Redcliffe as seen from Prince Street Bridge
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:32 PM   #26
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

- BROADMEAD -

The area northeast of the historic area, around Broadmead, was heavily damaged during the blitz. After the war the area was redeveloped, and the streets and shops in Broadmead became the main shopping district of the city. To the northwest is St James' Park.

Like most 1950s buildings in Britain, affordable but architecturally uninteresting utilitarian buildings form the bulk of the Broadmead area. In the 1980s some of these were demolished to make way for the Galleries shopping centre, which is a three level covered street.

Broadmead is undergoing regeneration. The shopping area has been extended over the central ring road to produce a new shopping centre, Cabot Circus, which opened in September 2008. This area had been named Merchants Quarter but in April 2006 the name was abandoned after a campaign claiming the name was offensive because it was the Bristol Merchant Venturers who dealt in the trade of African slaves.

Newmarket Street

The Haymarket

The Horsefair

One of Four Pedestrianised Streets

The Old House of Fraser Building, Soon To Become Primark

Tree Lined Pedestrian Streets

The Arcade, East Entrance

Union Street

Inside the Arcade

Construction on The Circus

The Corner of the Old House of Fraser Building

One of Many Pedestrianised Streets

Heavy Traffic on James Barton Road

A Subway outside Debenhams

The Arcade, West Entrance

View To The Circus

The Broadmead Gateway

The Eastern Entrance to the Galleries

View To Cabot Circus

Castlemead Tower

A Look At The More Depressing Corner of Bristol

The Horsefair / Union Street Corner

Crossing the Road

The Circus
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:40 PM   #27
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

- CABOT CIRCUS -

Cabot Circus is a new shopping mall development in Bristol. It is located next to Broadmead, the main shopping district in Bristol city centre. The Cabot Circus development area contains shops, offices, a cinema, hotel and 250 apartments. It covers a total of 139,350 m2 (1,500,000 sq ft) floor space, of which 92,900 m2 (1,000,000 sq ft) is retail outlets and leisure facilities. It opened in September 2008, after a ten year planning and building project costing £500 million.

Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:06 PM   #28
RaKLeZ
Outside the frame

The city looks really nice, good walkaround photos.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:05 PM   #29
mglouis85

Likes (Received): 2

What an incredible thread , thnx for sharing all these beautiful pictures & info...
mglouis85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #30
bristolboy

Likes (Received): 7

Mike this thread is awesome! Wow you really should work for Bristol tourism you have put our city on the map! Im very impressed well done mate!
bristolboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #31
regjeex
Daghay na BANN3D_lol

Likes (Received): 301

wow and wow...hehehe
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #32
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaKLeZ View Post
The city looks really nice, good walkaround photos.
Thanks very much, glad you like the piccies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglouis85 View Post
What an incredible thread , thnx for sharing all these beautiful pictures & info...
No problem, glad you've enjoyed the photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristolboy View Post
Mike this thread is awesome! Wow you really should work for Bristol tourism you have put our city on the map! Im very impressed well done mate!
Well I did consider it, I've had words with Stamfords to see if they're interested in any of the photos but haven't heard back lol . I just feel Bristol needs a little more recognising like cities such as Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regjeex View Post
wow and wow...hehehe
And now look, I've made someone speechless Thanks for the support mate.
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #33
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244524

Beautiful photos @Bristol Mike
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #34
jlshyang

Likes (Received): 13

One of my favourite cities in the UK
Old December 1st, 2010, 01:48 AM   #35
harvey6

Likes (Received): 0

Hi Bristol Mike
I stumbled across your excellent photos whilst searching for a few images of Bristol for a website that I'm creating for a friend of mine who owns a couple of properties in Bristol. He wanted a few pics of Bristol city centre and landmarks on his site so I was wondering if you would mind if I used some of yours? They are much better than the stock photos I have found as they show character and movement & not always a bright blue sky - ie they show an English city as it really is. Would really appreciate it if I could use some as I live in Leicester and don't get down to Bristol very often. Thanks. Chris
harvey6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 12:46 PM   #36
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244524

I remember that second thread of Bristol by Mike... was really very nice indeed
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 02:24 AM   #37
Talbot
3rd Coast

Likes (Received): 14

Beautiful shots of your city!
Talbot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #38
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
Beautiful photos @Bristol Mike
Very belated but thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlshyang View Post
One of my favourite cities in the UK
Glad you like it mate, thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey6 View Post
Hi Bristol Mike
I stumbled across your excellent photos whilst searching for a few images of Bristol for a website that I'm creating for a friend of mine who owns a couple of properties in Bristol. He wanted a few pics of Bristol city centre and landmarks on his site so I was wondering if you would mind if I used some of yours? They are much better than the stock photos I have found as they show character and movement & not always a bright blue sky - ie they show an English city as it really is. Would really appreciate it if I could use some as I live in Leicester and don't get down to Bristol very often. Thanks. Chris
That sounds fantastic. I trust you've received my pm I sent to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
I remember that second thread of Bristol by Mike... was really very nice indeed
Haha thanks again my friend, this was merely an introduction to the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Beautiful shots of your city!
Thank you my friend, glad you like them.
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #39
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Loving the new thread Mike - how's the weather ?
Old January 12th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #40
the_sage

Likes (Received): 57

Nice to see these lovely shots of this underexposed city.
the_sage no está en línea   Reply With Quote