daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 13th, 2009, 03:43 AM   #21
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10144

ive just amended and detailed diagram.
ive added year of completion in lables.
just think out of all those towers, only 1 was built before year 2000, being al burj hotel.

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:34 AM   #22
KingMoody
To live n die in Dubai

Likes (Received): 0

amazing diagram, thanks for the effort
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #23
KingMoody
To live n die in Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
ive just amended and detailed diagram.
ive added year of completion in lables.
just think out of all those towers, only 1 was built before year 2000, being al burj hotel.

Emirates towers too
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #24
ianniss

Likes (Received): 1

There is 2 separate skyscraper place in dubai
SZR in the North and the marina in the south

Dubai North VS Dubai South

ianniss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 05:37 AM   #25
ghost101

The scale of of the number large buildings makes the ~300m look average.
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #26
mclancer
Take off, eh!

Likes (Received): 9

10 buildings either built or under construction
that are taller than the Empire State Building!
Holy Crap
That doesn't include the proposed & on-holds

25 supertalls... 4-5 times more than the next best city.

Great job Culwulla, we all enjoy the diagrams you
produce, pictures convey more info than words.

The time is here, "SUPERTALL FOR TORONTO" !!!
(Man, even the UK & Australia have one!... lol)
mclancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #27
King of Construction
skyscraperized

Likes (Received): 254

Lol Burj Al Arab looks bad, not good at drawing curved lines? But very good diagram. When I'm going to Dubai I will print it and take it with me everywhere. So when I see a building I know which one it is and how high it is.

Visited countries: Austria-Belgium-Bosnia & Herzegovina-Bulgaria-Canada-Croatia-Czech Republic-England-France-Germany-Greece-Hong Kong-Italy-Liechtenstein- Luxembourg
Malaysia-Montenegro-Morocco-the Netherlands-Poland-Serbia-Singapore-Spain- Switzerland-Turkey-United Arab Emirates-United States of America-Wales
King of Construction no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #28
saeed
KING SAEED III

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
over a century ago when Eiffel Tower was numero uno, i reckon if you told them that in early 21stC, the desert city of Dubai will have 26 skyscrapers taller then eiffel tower they would think you were crazy.
and one of those skyscrapers will be nearly 3 times higher!
they would lock you up
Amazing piece of work CULWULLA..... 10/10
Maybe the best one of yours in my opinion so far!!!
I agree with u, u can check my signature to see my confirmation to what u say.
Old March 31st, 2009, 06:51 PM   #29
tony8

Wow! All exciting design, Thanks!
tony8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 06:51 PM   #30
skyscraper100
>:

Likes (Received): 32

gr8! thanks
skyscraper100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #31
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Culwulla, hope you don't mind but I'd like to use this thread from now on to update news on these towers. I want to change from the thread in the city compilations I have so that I can focus on under construction projects (this is all that will matter in the near future anyway). I'll add whatever important stuff to the first post as well as a seperate new post. Would you like to do the same with any new diagrams you post?

Anyway here is now a list of all the supertall towers that started to be built in Dubai. A slightly different system for the status is done here as well which is explained. Also I have made a progress report on all of these towers since I was bored for about an hour yesterday.

Dubai Supertall Progress Report

Nakheel Tower

Foundation works began last year. Along with the official announcement project, Nakheel said that foundation works would take three years with the entire tower being complete in 2020. However, all foundation work has been put on hold due to the financial crisis as of the beginning of this year. They said work would resume within a year, however, work on this huge project will probably not recommence until the next boom, if at all.

Burj Dubai

Since the topping out of this tower at 818m, work has been progressing but incredibly slowly. The developer, Emaar has put many of its developments on hold due to cash flow problems however the Burj Dubai has continued nonetheless but at a very slow pace. Completion is due at the end of this year, however, that will certainly not happen at the current rate of construction.

Pentominium

For the last few months, piling works at this construction site had been accelerated. A total of 5 piling rigs along with two mobile cranes occupied the small site, working also through the night. Recently the piling contractor has left the site. Given the speed of work in the previous months it is reasonable to assume piling has been completed and the main contractor should arrive on site afterwards. However, there has been no mention yet of who the main contractor will be. Clearly if the developer, Trident, have the financing then now would be a good time to build the tower since construction costs are at a low. As of 18th of April reinforcements are being put in to stabalise the site walls before further excavation.

One Park Avenue

A huge tower, but certainly not the biggest planned for the Jumeirah Gardens project (JG). This tower was one of the first projects to be started in JG, however very soon after the official unveiling in October 2008, everything on site was halted along with all other JG construction sites. Nothing has been said of the specific construction sites but it is assumed the developer, Meraas, will be significantly downsizing the project, if it even builds anything at all.

Dubai Towers

A huge development of 4 supertall towers. Some pile testing and other preparation works began but soon stopped once the financial crisis hit. The developer, Sama Dubai, merged with Dubai Properties and they have said that they will continue the master planned project that these towers are part of which is “The Lagoons”. However nothing has been said about the specific towers. Most likely they will be downsized or cancelled altogether.

Burj al Alam

A tower in the master planned project, Business Bay, which was designed to look like a flower. Construction started but works have been moving incredibly slowly. Only excavation and some piling have been done since the start of construction which was 2 years ago. In the past few months work has completely grinded to a halt. The tower does not seem financially feasible so will probably either redesigned or cancelled altogether.

Damac Heights

A tower that was supposed to be built next to several other supertalls District 10 in the Dubai Marina. The foundation contractor, Zetas, arrived on site and maybe did some testing however soon after arrival they left again. Damac said that they were redesigning the project, however, in the current financial climate it is unlikely they will restart it anytime soon.

Princess Tower

This tower recently passed the half way mark in its construction and is now beginning to rise above its neighbours such as the 210m tall Le Reve tower. The tower, although having slowed down in recent weeks, still continues to be built at a reasonable pace. It remains to be seen if this slowdown will continue or if it will resume its previous speed. If it does slow down it will be overtaken by some of its neighbours.

Marina 101

This project is another very tall tower which has recently risen out of the ground. It is now at the 10th floor although the podium still has not been built. As of April 18th the tower has reached the 13th floor.

The Lighthouse

Piling is still ongoing at the construction site of this tower and should be finishing soon. Rumours have suggested that DIFC will not build this tower and will rent office space in The Index instead. However, they recently extended the deadline for the bid of the main contract (for the umpteenth time). Although they have received bids, it is possible they are trying to either find a contractor who will built this tower for a cheaper price, or else negotiate with contractors who have already bid to lower their prices.

Burj al Fattan

Demolition of the structure on site is ongoing and is happening at an insanely slow pace. The developer, Al Fattan Properties, are apparently very wealthy and will not have as many financial problems as other developers due to the financial crisis. Despite not having started foundation work yet, they are receiving bids for the main contract. They will probably delay the construction of this tower although it could still very well be built.

Marina 106

Marina 106 is tower in Dubai Marina for which there is extremely little information. Piling work is progressing and it remains to be seen who the main contractor will be. Most likely it will not be known until the contractor actually appears on site.

23 Marina

A few months ago, work stopped on this tower for a while. However, recently construction was restarted and is now happening at a fairly quick pace. Cladding has begun and is about 10 floors up. It started rising at around the same time as The Torch and Princess Tower. However, due to the delay, it has fallen behind the other two. As of 18th of April the tower has reached somewhere around the 50th floor.

Emirates Park Towers

The construction of these towers is near the half way point and is progressing very well. Cladding has also recently started.

Elite Residence

This 380m tall tower is being built by the same developer, Tameer, and the same main contractor, ACC, as Princess Tower. The podium has been complete and the core is about 10 floors above the podium. The main tower has not risen above the podium yet but is expected to do so in the coming weeks.

Almas Tower

This tower is almost completed with only a few cladding panels waiting to be added. Most likely interior work is still going on. Work on the landscaping around the base of the tower is also going on. Most likely, this tower will hold the title of tallest completed tower for about a year.

LamTara Towers

This is a project consisting of two supertall towers next to the SZR highway. Excavation work had been completed and piling was being worked on at a slow pace. Some months ago work completely stopped at the site and the project has been on hold ever since.

Al Attar Tower

This tower reached its top floor, however, has now gone on hold with much of the tower still left unclad. The spire also needs to be added. The developer behind this project are a strange bunch since they completely stopped work on this tower and then resumed work on a tower which had been stuck on hold at the ground work stage for 2 years.

The Torch

Construction continues on this tower at a reasonable pace. It has recently passed the second mechanical floor and is on the way to the top. As of 18th of April it has reached up to the 59th or 60th floor.

Rose Rotana Suites

A supertall tower on SZR which was structurally completed more than a year ago. However, it still has not opened.

The Skyscraper

This is the tower that has recently been restarted by Al Attar Properties. It is at the piling stage of construction and who knows how much construction will get done, when it will be finished, etc. This is Al Attar we are talking about.

Al Yacoub Tower

This tower recently almost went on hold. Recent reports say that construction is moving again but most likely will remain very slow. The tower has overtaken its 250m completed neighbour on SZR and is to rise to 328m.

The Index

A huge, imposing tower which is topped out. It also has its cladding completely installed except for the top 6 or 7 floors. In the past few months the speed of construction here has slowed down considerably.

HHHR Tower

This is another large imposing tower but this time on SZR. It recently reached its last floor and construction has been going on at a very quick pace throughout the entire building period. The spire is still left to be added along with a large amount of cladding. If previous progress is anything to go by this tower should be open for business early next year.

Ocean Heights

Despite the problems with the developer, Damac, and the late start to this project, this tower is now getting built at breakneck speed by Arabtec, the main contractor. This is now the fastest tower in Dubai with a floor cycle of about 4 to 5 days. Within the next month it is expected that this tower will overtake its 210m neighbour and will top out later this year. As of 18th of April the tower has reached the 51st floor.

Infinity Tower

This twisting tower suffered a nasty construction accident at the piling stage where marina wall burst causing the entire construction site to be flooded. This caused a full year’s delay, however, now the tower is being built at a fairly quick pace. The podium is being built and the core is about 10 floors higher. As with Elite Residence, the main tower is expected to rise above the podium within the next few weeks. As of April 14th the core has reached the 14th floor.

Al Hekma Tower

This is a tower with a portrait of Sheikh Zayed on top. Ground work was briefly started but ceased quickly afterwards and all that remains is a hole in the ground. Will never be built.

Last edited by malec; April 18th, 2009 at 02:11 PM.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #32
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

wow, rich information,

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #33
CULWULLA

thanks malec. great info
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #34
jhalsey

Likes (Received): 182

Great idea to group these together.
jhalsey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #35
saeed
KING SAEED III

Likes (Received): 6

great information malec...
thanks
I feel a little depressed after that though!
but I guess we should be glad that this crisis didnt hit couple of years earlier, then I cant imagine how unpleasent it could've been!!
Old April 15th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #36
CULWULLA

^i concur, if this GFC happened 2-3 years ago, most of dubai you see today would have never happened. no burj dubai either. so we are lucky to have what we have.
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:27 AM   #37
DG
Emirian Lady

Likes (Received): 4

shukran CUL ^-^
DG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:38 AM   #38
CULWULLA

tallest block diagram
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3640/...b91048b4_o.jpg
Old April 15th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #39
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Great update to your diagram Cul. All your diagrams really are worth a thousand words man.

Malec... Great job on compiling the Dubai scrapers into a well laid out list. The percentages with the legend are well thought out.

This thread will be good to keep an eye on - especially when the economy takes off again.

Old April 15th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #40
CULWULLA

^thanks, i love doing them.
hey whats you estimation on global financial recovery?
2-3 years? or more?