daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 10th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #101
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12604

Most of Dubai is either dead or dying! LOL
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2009, 04:07 AM   #102
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15919

@malec, dead means that you are sure it's dead forever or just something like "on hold for a long time and could be cancelled/never built"?

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #103
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
@malec, dead means that you are sure it's dead forever or just something like "on hold for a long time and could be cancelled/never built"?
Nope, just on hold for a long time and most likely (but not certain) to never see the light of day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi View Post
Most of Dubai is either dead or dying! LOL
Actually I think construction is going very well in general and has improved compared to a few months ago.
Nakheel tower will certainly not start soon since Nakheel is practically bankrupt.
The one park avenue tower is part of that huge jumeirah gardens project. Anyone thinks all of that will be built?
Dubai Towers was also being built by a company (government funded) who have suffered badly.
Damac Heights might be starting again and this is certainly one tower I never expected to restart.
None of these towers were in the "expected to be built" class anyway, even before the crisis. I remember giving these at most a 15% chance even then.

The Lighthouse has piling finished but again, there is no money from the government to build it now. I think it might be built in the future though.
The skyscraper and marina 106 look like they're going on hold but that was expected for the skyscraper, and with marina 106 we don't know but we will see.
Princess Tower and Elite Residence are slow but by no means on hold. Tameer (the developer) seems to be having some problems but they have said that these two towers are their focus for now.

The good news is I never expected the pentominium to get a main contractor, and so much piling work to go on at the burj al alam site.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #104
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Marina 106 has a good chance even in this market situation, GGICO is behind them , they have money.
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 03:57 AM   #105
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10144

tallest block update

image hosted on flickr
Old September 4th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #106
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Thanks for GOL2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOL2007 View Post
I made an update of my forgotten Table:

Since the last update on 2008/01/18 they built 393 (!!!) floors in the tallest block. This equals 34% of the floors of the 13 supertall towers. So now there are 554 (48%) of the mindblowing 1156 floors completed!

Ocean Heights was the fastest growing tower, Marina Pinnacle just pathetic.

Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:15 AM   #107
CULWULLA

update
image hosted on flickr
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #108
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

I'm hoping the momentum of this construction will pick up and hoping investors will come back to seek more opportunity. Dubai is a great project to start with and there is nothing like it ever made since Hausmann changed Paris in late 19th. century. I'm hoping Dubai will be the next Paris by reinventing how a city be made. The problem is this World Economic Crisis is really hurting everyone including the investors who are currently scared to get their money out of their pocket. I'm hoping the recovery will be in a fast pace or Dubai and the rest of the Middle East will gradually suffer.

And thanks for giving us a great thread, Culwulla.
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #109
Stephan23
Bonsai

Likes (Received): 93

This Marina Pinnacle Tower sucks so much
Old September 19th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #110
zander0501

Likes (Received): 0

Is the Project of that ugly black Tri-Tower (called Marina-xxx) underway or is there any Tread about it?

Thanks
zander0501 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #111
zander0501

Oh, i´ve found it, it was the "Marina Sky Towers"
zander0501 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 09:44 PM   #112
Stephan23
Bonsai

Likes (Received): 93

By True Blue - Dusk shot;
Old September 25th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #113
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander0501 View Post
Oh, i´ve found it, it was the "Marina Sky Towers"
They were cancelled.
Old October 4th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #114
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Update for the 4th of October:

The main changes since the last update are as follows:

Burj Dubai: Changed the completion date (95%, so structurally complete) to the end of this year.
Pentominium: Changed the progress speed to fast tracked.
Bin Manana Towers: Changed this to on hold.
Damac Heights: Changed from on hold to regular pace progress.
Princess Tower: Changed from slow to regular pace since the speed has picked up. Elite residence remains slow.
23 Marina: Changed to 60% done.
The Torch: Changed from fast tracked to normal speed. This should have been topped out by now but for some reason the floors have stopped but there's still a good bit of cladding work going on.
Signature Towers: Added these towers since some site clearing is going on and it looks like they are shaping the site in the way that is required by these towers.
Al Yacoub Tower: Changed from slow to normal pace. Also I thought all the floors would have been built by now but it turns out there are more floors in the section where the clock was supposed to go.
Old October 15th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #115
CULWULLA

4 towers now approaching 300m supertall mark.
Torch currently 297m, ocean heights 295m,princess 283m,23 marina 282m.

image hosted on flickr
Old October 31st, 2009, 03:30 AM   #116
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Dubai Supertall Progress Report, October 30th

Charts and Stats

Individual Tower Updates

Burj Dubai – 818m

Almost done (exterior anyway). Is set to open on December 2nd but I doubt everything inside the tower will be ready.

Pentominium – 516m

Progress here is very good and now is very likely to be completed. There is no spire anymore though (probably since the Chicago Spire is pretty much dead). The 5m thick raft foundation is due to be poured in December.

Burj al Alam – 510m

Piling is ongoing but has recently slowed down again. It’s difficult to see what progress is being done.

Burj al Fattan – 463m

The previous hotel has been demolished but nobody knows if they will proceed with this tower or not. Unfortunately there isn’t a recent picture.

Bin Manana Twin Towers – 454m

This looks to have died very quickly. Apparantly they were not allowed to start or something like that and the Dubai Municipality closed the site down. We will see whether this is cancelled or if they will get approval.

Damac Heights – 426m

Work has restarted on site and various site preparation activities are happening such as building the site wall, soil testing, etc.

Princess Tower – 414m

Progress has picked up once again and is now back to one floor a week. They have built up to level 75 now.

Marina 101 – 412m

The floors are being built fast, roughly one floor every 5 days but still no sign of cladding. The tower is up to the 40th floor.

The Lighthouse – 402m

Surprisingly there is a little bit of work going on at this site. Piling is complete and pile caps have been exposed. Waiting for the main contractor I think.

Marina 106 – ~400m

There is a new design for this tower and also work has stopped on site. Maybe they need approval for the new design and they will restart once they get it. The company building this has a good bit of money apparently.

23 Marina – 389m

This has been quite fast recently with new floors being added more than 1 floor a week. They haven’t started building the weird balconies up near the top yet though. Tower is up to somewhere near the 74th floor.

Elite Residence – 380m

Like Princess Tower, this one has also picked up speed and is being built at one floor a week now. Core is up to something like the 29th floor.

Hard Rock Hotel – 379m

There has been some news about this tower recently. The developer is inviting contractors to give prices so at least it shows they still want to build.

Emirates Park Towers – 376m

Progress is good and is starting to look better as more cladding gets added. Towers not topped out yet since there are a few more smaller floors to be built on top and then the spires. The current height is around 300m though.

Almas Tower – 363m

This is pretty much completed. There are a few panels missing on top but the tower is occupied and everything.

Emirates Towers – 355m

Complete.

Signature Towers – 351m

For some reason Al Habtoor have mobilised onto this site. They moved a whole load of stuff including a generator, oil tank and water tank. Who knows, maybe Al Habtoor have bought the plot and they will build something instead.

Al Attar Tower – 342m

There are some works on site but it’s very very slow and goes on hold every so often.

The Torch – 338m

Progress was quite slow for the past 2 months since the addition of new floors stopped for some reason (cladding continued though). Now they have started building the next floors again. There are only a few left before the roof and then the roof feature. Core is near the 80th floor.

Rose Rotana Suites – 333m

This tower is completed but is still unused. Nobody knows why.

The Skyscraper – 330m

This is on hold.

Al Yacoub Tower – 328m

Speed has picked up on this tower once again and is now around or just under 300m. I think all the floors have been built and now the roof feature is starting.

The Index – 328m

This is almost done but still interior works left. Also the ground floor and the general entrance area needs a lot of work.

Burj Al Arab – 321m

7 star hotel. Complete

HHHR Tower – 317m

This is almost done.

Ocean Heights – 310m

The last floor has recently been reached by the core. Soon the floorplates will catch up and for the tower to be topped out the little fin at the top needs to be built also.

Infinity Tower – 307m

Progress here is good and the tower is now near the 30th floor.

Dubai Pearl – 300m

A massive complex consisting of four towers joined at the top and bottom (counting as one structure). Work here is progressing quickly despite this being such a massive project. Three of the four foundations have now been poured.

Old October 31st, 2009, 12:39 PM   #117
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

BIN MANAMA: The Municipality has ordered them to fill up the site/hole for safety reasons related to the nearby buildings and pedestrians/vehicles, due to the developer's failure to continue work on the site. Same thing has happened in other construction sites as well.

ROSE ROTANA: The hotel apartments and other areas are fully furnished, but apparently due to the financial situation of the developer/owner, the hotel operator ROTANA, isn't willing to start operating the venue probably fearing they will not be paid for the job. I wouldn't be surprised if they have left altogether because some of their logos on the outside have disappeared.

DUBAI PEARL: I think it's unfortunate that the four towers are considered as one, when they have separate foundations and the connection on top IMO shouldn't be a reason to bundle them together as a single tower.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 09:56 PM   #118
Burj Duboy

I wouldn`t consider Elite Residence as slow construction...
Burj Duboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 11:06 PM   #119
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burj Duboy View Post
I wouldn`t consider Elite Residence as slow construction...
It's not supposed to be. Sorry, I never changed it in the first list but in the 2nd list showing the progress, it's changed to green.
Old November 1st, 2009, 12:29 AM   #120
Burj Duboy

No problem. Great work by the way.
Burj Duboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote