daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 12th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #201
Papacu
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Some american iron chunks in Brazil:

Papacu no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #202
Papacu
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester Planner View Post
The Javelin trains, which are to start running later this year on the High Speed line in London and Kent, are one of the nicest looking trains at the moment:

original british from Hakata...
And these are from Bombardier(Canada). There are british trains, made in England by english companies?

British Rail Class 333 - Made by Siemens(Germany)

British Rail Class 156 Super Sprinter - built by Metro-Cammell (owned by Alstom)

British Rail Class 166 Network Express Turbo - built by Asea Brown Boveri (Switzerland)

Last edited by Papacu; May 12th, 2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #203
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Likes (Received): 4

I'm not fussed who makes them - they're still British trains running on the British rail network with dimensions suited to the British loading gauge, platforms, etc.
Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:10 AM   #204
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Generally speaking, I would attribute the aesthetic qualities of a train to the manufacturer.
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #205
Papacu
BANNED

Quote:
I'm not fussed who makes them - they're still British trains running on the British rail network with dimensions suited to the British loading gauge, platforms, etc.
How old are you? Your statement sounds a bit childish to me....
And that's your taste, it doesn't mean that what you think is nice looking is the same to the most of the people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl3000 View Post
Generally speaking, I would attribute the aesthetic qualities of a train to the manufacturer.
Yeap.
And I think the brits should be more concerned about the quality and conditions of their railways than talking about the appearance of their rolling stocks.

The good looking and brand new Hitachi trains are running to slow due to the horrible conditions of the railways.

Such a waste of resources keeping a fast train like that running as a turtle because the lines are too old.
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #206
kei

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
The fact is that there remains a unique aesthetic to British trains, despite being produced by foreign manufacturers. The loading gauge affects the shape of the design, and the liveries are determined by whatever company is running the trains. Tube trains these days are manufactured by foreign companies, but no one would argue that the designs aren't faithful to the unique Tube aesthetic:

edit: and incidentally, it doesn't even make sense to attribute designs of a train to the manufacturer's country of origin, when really who knows the nationality of the designers, or who is determining why something looks the way it is. Silly argument!

Last edited by kei; May 13th, 2009 at 07:41 AM.
kei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:44 AM   #207
kei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papacu View Post
The good looking and brand new Hitachi trains are running to slow due to the horrible conditions of the railways.
From where did you get that idea? The new Hitachi trains will be running on the high speed line that is currently used only for Eurostar trains.

You seem like the childish one to me.
kei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #208
taikoo.city
ぴったん,ラーラーもじぴったん~~

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kei View Post
From where did you get that idea? The new Hitachi trains will be running on the high speed line that is currently used only for Eurostar trains.

In fact the Hitachi trains are also "too slow" for the high speed line, namely "High Speed 1"

If TVM430 or ETCS is installed on ECML you can put the Javelins there running at full speed without a problem.

> Hong Kong is still part of the United Kingdom!! Please help BN(O)s to get what they deserve~~

> MTR North Island Line Discussion Thread
taikoo.city no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #209
AAPMBerlin

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
And these are from Bombardier(Canada). There are british trains, made in England by english companies?

Yes, Bombardier is canadian. But the headquarter of the transportation division is in Berlin (Germany). --> http://www.bombardier.com/en/transpo...transportation

So it“s a german product for GB!
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #210
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Quote:
The Javelin trains, which are to start running later this year on the High Speed line in London and Kent, are one of the nicest looking trains at the moment:

This is true.
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #211
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

First of all, I like British train designs in general, especially older/vintage stuff- Mk.1 coaches, Great Western steam, anything designed by W.Stanier. Later stuff is good too- HSTs (best high speed diesel trains anywhere, IMO), Mk. 3 coaches, class 37 diesel locos (or anything built by E.E. and powered by [C]SVT engines, basically). But while I realize the appearance of some rolling stock is a function of design limitations- the former Southern slam door stock was based on the Mk.1 body shell, and the Class 153 Supersprinters on the Mk.3, some of the recent British EMU and DMU stock is well, not my taste, to say it diplomatically.
This...

is one example- too insectoid (think caterpillar) with its maw opening, ready to snag an unsuspecting cow or hapless passenger

as well as this(though a different color scheme could improve things):

Virgin Pendos are great tho- hope to ride one next time I visit the UK

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; May 13th, 2009 at 03:15 PM.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #212
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:

Actually it was designed and built by Alstom (former Metro-Cammell) in Birmingham, UK.

Quote:
British Rail Class 333 - Made by Siemens(Germany)
True.

Quote:
British Rail Class 156 Super Sprinter - built by Metro-Cammell (owned by Alstom)
But it wasn't when they were built in the 80s.

Quote:
British Rail Class 166 Network Express Turbo - built by Asea Brown Boveri (Switzerland)

In their factory in York, UK...
33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #213
Republica
BUND

Quote:
And that's your taste, it doesn't mean that what you think is nice looking is the same to the most of the people.

Yeap.
And I think the brits should be more concerned about the quality and conditions of their railways than talking about the appearance of their rolling stocks.

Such a waste of resources keeping a fast train like that running as a turtle because the lines are too old.
Another uninformed and childish Brit basher. We love you guys! Keep it coming.
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #214
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Did I say that?

Dickhead.
Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #215
Papacu
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kei View Post

LONDON'S busiest rail operator is planning cuts for hundreds of thousands of commuters as it introduces its 140mph Javelin trains this year.

The Evening Standard can also reveal that some services along the £5.2 billion high-speed line from Kent to St Pancras will be slower than those on the "old" lines at the moment.
(...)

On a north Kent Javelin journey from Margate, the train will only join the high-speed line at Ebbsfleet, west of Gravesend, for its final 20 miles into London. The first three-quarters of the trip - about 60 miles - will still be on existing low-speed lines. Other Javelin services, via Ashford, will run on the high-speed line for longer and will be quicker than existing trains - Dover by 15 minutes and Canterbury by 23.

And, uh... The Eurostar faced some speed problems in the british railways too, running slower than in the french railways.
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #216
Papacu
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republica View Post
Another uninformed and childish Brit basher. We love you guys! Keep it coming.
First of all, your brit pal created this stupid thread bashing the trains around the world:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
I have been to many countries around the world, and use the trains in most, and seen the trains in them all...
I ALWAYS think that they either look weird, or just plain ugly!
I don't know if this is just because I am used to English trains or if they are actually weird...
What do you think? Do you like the APPEARANCE of English trains and think other countries trains are strange???
The fact is that the british trans are not only ugly but old, unconfortable and dirty.

You have the right to admire your country, praise your trains, the typical british grin, the typical british skin, but without bashing the others.

But i think it's just a waste of time: how can we comparate the british rail infraestructure with the rest of the europe? Or Japan? It's just ridiculous!
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #217
Republica
BUND

I think you have a severe case of Britophobia. Lots of people get it, so dont worry.

Your every post here have been lame digs at Britain. Most of it uninformed and ignorant. In addition you may notice that the original poster started thread on the basis of their opinion. You seem to have a secondary disease on top of the Britophobia problem. This secondary problem is your confusion of facts an opinion. You moan about a thread started as a debate instigator, an opinion. Yet you present your opinion as fact and quite ridiculously you even said this yourself - ignorant and uninformed. The confusion of fact and opinion is also a common problem, so dont be worried about that either. It's normally contracted from excessive reading of tabloid newspapers or poor quality journalism, from Britain or abroad too.

Where are you from, just out of interest?

PS. Did you not notice that TGV's run slower on non high speed lines?

Last edited by Republica; May 14th, 2009 at 12:27 AM.
Republica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:03 AM   #218
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Hz View Post
Actually it was designed and built by Alstom (former Metro-Cammell) in Birmingham, UK.

True.

But it wasn't when they were built in the 80s.

In their factory in York, UK...
The trains were probably also designed by British designers to meet the specifications of the UK... Just manufactured elsewhere.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #219
AAPMBerlin

Likes (Received): 94

Oh yes! Only the British can say :" Javelin is a HST!" *HAHA*

You call 140mph HST?????????????????????????????

Sorry, but I have just to laugh....

--> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_395

Old May 14th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #220
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPMBerlin View Post
Oh yes! Only the British can say :" Javelin is a HST!" *HAHA*

You call 140mph HST?????????????????????????????

Sorry, but I have just to laugh....

--> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_395

Don't knock the Brit trains too much- after all, we sad Americans would be satisfied with trains that "just" go 100mph. For heavens sake, we call 79mph commuter trains "baby bullets"
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote