daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:13 AM   #281
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarflonlad View Post
Can we close this thread? It's embarrassing.

The majority of trains on the continent are far more sophisticated, elegant and roomier than UK trains.

The UK does well on number of trains going at 100mph+ - but that's about it. Everything else on UK rail is surpassed somewhere else.

Maybe we can get back to this when the British start designing trains and technology again.
You are embarrassing. You probably never were in continental Europe, let alone in a rail station there. I know what I'm talking about. And I'd rather have something like British railways than this hideous and unreliable scrap that is supposed to be a railway service over here In Germany. Billions of Euro have been spent and there is still no proper high speed service running. Complete series of trainsets go out of service due to technical difficulties and get replaced if at all by outdated rolling stock. You obviously have no idea how much better you are off.

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:49 AM   #282
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
You are embarrassing. You probably never were in continental Europe, let alone in a rail station there. I know what I'm talking about. And I'd rather have something like British railways than this hideous and unreliable scrap that is supposed to be a railway service over here In Germany. Billions of Euro have been spent and there is still no proper high speed service running. Complete series of trainsets go out of service due to technical difficulties and get replaced if at all by outdated rolling stock. You obviously have no idea how much better you are off.
Grass and green.

DB has by all accounts in my experience, been fantastic. Equally the UK service I feel has a lot of merit in terms of timetabling - and even in some cases good speed.

But lets not digress. We're talking about trainsets. Does the UK have an ICE equivalent? No. There's an aesthetic to be proud of. We have - oh a pendolino, a clunky intercity and a new 'javelin' train that looks like plastic.

It's a no brainer. Continental train sets are far superior aesthetically speaking. Although there is hope in the UK... Go have a look at Irish trains. Now those are ugly!
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 02:16 AM   #283
flierfy

Quote:
DB has by all accounts in my experience, been fantastic.
This sentence is utter mockery. The S-Bahn in Berlin is almost completely out of service right now.
image hosted on flickr

photo taken by Schockwellenreiter

The ICE-T fleet suffered a similar fate. Which left large parts of the country without decent intercity services for more than a year.

Quote:
Equally the UK service I feel has a lot of merit in terms of timetabling - and even in some cases good speed.

But lets not digress. We're talking about trainsets. Does the UK have an ICE equivalent? No. There's an aesthetic to be proud of. We have - oh a pendolino, a clunky intercity and a new 'javelin' train that looks like plastic.

It's a no brainer. Continental train sets are far superior aesthetically speaking. Although there is hope in the UK... Go have a look at Irish trains. Now those are ugly!
Admittedly, the ICE3 is a rather gorgeous train. But then again, it takes more than one swallow to make a summer. There is nothing else that comes even close to decently looking.

Unlike Britain, which has its Electrostar series, Class 444 and many more eye-pleasant trains. And even the 40 years old HST still provide a respectable service and look less outdated than younger trains from the other side of the Channel.

And taking about embarrassments. The staff of British railway companies speaks properly English. Something you can't say about Deutsche Bahn and its ridiculous attempts to flatter travellers from abroad.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:56 PM   #284
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 291

Quote:
Can we close this thread? It's embarrassing.

The majority of trains on the continent are far more sophisticated, elegant and roomier than UK trains.

The UK does well on number of trains going at 100mph+ - but that's about it. Everything else on UK rail is surpassed somewhere else.

Maybe we can get back to this when the British start designing trains and technology again.
Its not the performance of the trains that matters in this thread, only appearance...if you look at proportions, sizes, windows, doors and roofs, imo English trains look so much better...

Just to compare again...

French emu...strange

English emu...normal

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:00 PM   #285
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Likes (Received): 4

Well, naturally the French are strange..
Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:50 PM   #286
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester Planner View Post
Well, naturally the French are strange..
Haha lol...well its not so much the fact its French...but it does look strange anyway...almost like a door stop, with mis-matched doors and windows...

I <3 London
Old July 22nd, 2009, 07:06 PM   #287
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

This sounds like a white wine vs. red wine arguement to me....and it's rather silly.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:50 PM   #288
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62955

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
with mis-matched doors and windows...
In other words, England desperately need double decker trains.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:54 PM   #289
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
In other words, England desperately need double decker trains.
We have tried...but they don't fit in the tunnels...oops

But you can have a double decker train...why can't it just look like an ordinary UK train but with an extra row of windows above? I don't get all the odd designs...

I <3 London
Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:47 PM   #290
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62955

Because then they would be so high that they won't even fit in the bigger European tunnels or even under the overhead lines.

The lower floor has to be lower then normal to make it all fit. And because you also want a 2x2 seating arrangement on both levels you have to make the train as wide as possible for a big part of the body.

And because of the bogies you have to go back to one level at both ends of the cars. Unless you have very short cars with only 1 axle between the cars "Talgo style" so you can have both levels all though the train.

like this (don't look at the front):

But this is just a bit too experimental and no railway company has bought these kind of trains from Talgo yet.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:36 AM   #291
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post

If the coaches where longer with a door at each end rather than one in the middle...it would be alright

the front is bad tho

I <3 London
Old July 23rd, 2009, 02:27 AM   #292
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

I don't get why anyone would compare a Class 444 or something like that to a high speed train from Germany. What you guys mad or just stupid? High Speed to High Speed. Normal to Normal. If not its like comparing apples and oranges.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:31 AM   #293
flierfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123 View Post
I don't get why anyone would compare a Class 444 or something like that to a high speed train from Germany. What you guys mad or just stupid? High Speed to High Speed. Normal to Normal. If not its like comparing apples and oranges.
These part time high speed trains in Germany can very well be compared to any other train. If you haven't sussed it yet this thread is about appearance. And a train is a train. It got nothing to do with apples and oranges.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:08 PM   #294
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo View Post
For comparison, Belgian trains look like this
image hosted on flickr
Love it. Why can't they run those to Roosendaal? We always get that crappy red one.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:31 PM   #295
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Love it. Why can't they run those to Roosendaal? We always get that crappy red one.
I could be wrong, but I think that's the livery of the Airport Express train. Right now there's not much "Express" about it though. They have to go through Brussels first to get to Brussels Airport (basically, they pass the airport and then have to drive back).

EDIT: hadn't noticed the sign >_< Well, I always liked that livery, so I do hope they will repaint them like that, but I fear for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy
And taking about embarrassments. The staff of British railway companies speaks properly English. Something you can't say about Deutsche Bahn and its ridiculous attempts to flatter travellers from abroad.
Emm... Ever realised that's because it's GERMANY and NOT the UK? At least be glad they *try* to speak English. They could just as well speak German to you and completely ignore your language

I don't expect people to speak Dutch when I go abroad (and that has nothing to do with "not enough people speaking it" at all), so I fail to see why you should expect people to speak English. Be glad if they do, accept it if they don't.

Appearances are deceiving.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 02:12 PM   #296
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post
I could be wrong, but I think that's the livery of the Airport Express train. Right now there's not much "Express" about it though. They have to go through Brussels first to get to Brussels Airport (basically, they pass the airport and then have to drive back).

EDIT: hadn't noticed the sign >_< Well, I always liked that livery, so I do hope they will repaint them like that, but I fear for it.
Well anything is better than what the NMBS sends our way

Whenever I go to Brussels I make sure I transfer to a regular Belgian train in Antwerp. Not just if I take the stoptrein either, since the Benelux keeps failing these days it's just the sensible thing to do. I love the double deckers you guys use.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:05 PM   #297
Teach

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I think that's the livery of the Airport Express train.
Actually, it's the livery of the CityRail, to be used on the future GEN / RER. These trains are older than the ones that go to Roosedaal btw, they've just been recently renovated. 40 of the old 'classic' EMUs are being renovated like this.

Quote:
I love the double deckers you guys use.
They're currently lobbying NMBS in Roosendaal to let the Essen-Brussels intercity service come to Roosendaal once the Benelux stops going there. The Essen-Brussels intercity operates with the M6 double deckers, so you might get them in Roosendaal in the future.

Quote:
The staff of BRITISH railway companies speak ENGLISH??? MY GOD, how incredible! Whoever would have guessed such a thing! Are you seriously suggesting that British railway companies are better because their staff speak English?

Quote:
French emu...strange
Quote:
English emu...normal
And if you show those two pictures to someone from France, they're likely to say the exact opposite. The only reason you call one 'normal' and the other 'strange' is because you're used to one, but not the other. It's nothing to do with one actually being better looking than the other, just with what you're used to. This whole 'my trains look better than yours' thing you're pulling here is actually quite silly and childish. How old are you anyway?
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:32 PM   #298
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
And if you show those two pictures to someone from France, they're likely to say the exact opposite. The only reason you call one 'normal' and the other 'strange' is because you're used to one, but not the other. It's nothing to do with one actually being better looking than the other, just with what you're used to. This whole 'my trains look better than yours' thing you're pulling here is actually quite silly and childish. How old are you anyway?
I'm 19...

Do you like trains that look like hump back whales? Or trains that look like trains...

I <3 London
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:33 PM   #299
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
I'm 19...

Do you like trains that look like hump back whales with a roof you could build an attic in?? Or trains that look like trains, well spaced and proportioned windows, doors that do not look like the entrance to a hospital building or shopping mall, a roof that doesn't stick up into the air like a church tower and a front that doesn't look like a door stop...

Do I have to post another comparison image...? I guess I do...I would say this is a fair comparison of train types...

Strange...door stop...

Strange...hump back...

Strange...square windows

Nice...

Nice...

Very nice...

I <3 London

Last edited by poshbakerloo; July 23rd, 2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:51 PM   #300
Teach

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
I'm 19...
No offence meant to other 19 year-olds, but in your case that does explain a lot. Once you're a few years older (and hopefully wiser) you'll realise that different is not necessarily bad, 'strange' or ugly, it's just different. And you're not going to convince me of 'English trains looking better' with those pictures. The ONLY reason you think your trains look 'better proportioned' is because they're the proportions you've been used to all your life. To us, they do not look better proportioned, they just look odd, while the others you've posted (the 'strange' ones) are the ones that look better proportioned in many cases.
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote