daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 23rd, 2009, 05:01 PM   #301
Slagathor
Gay love is love too
 
Slagathor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Hague
Posts: 8,455
Likes (Received): 6136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
They're currently lobbying NMBS in Roosendaal to let the Essen-Brussels intercity service come to Roosendaal once the Benelux stops going there. The Essen-Brussels intercity operates with the M6 double deckers, so you might get them in Roosendaal in the future.
God I hope so!
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2009, 05:22 PM   #302
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***
 
poshbakerloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Manchester, Cheshire, Sheffield, Moscow
Posts: 5,090
Likes (Received): 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
No offence meant to other 19 year-olds, but in your case that does explain a lot. Once you're a few years older (and hopefully wiser) you'll realise that different is not necessarily bad, 'strange' or ugly, it's just different. And you're not going to convince me of 'English trains looking better' with those pictures. The ONLY reason you think your trains look 'better proportioned' is because they're the proportions you've been used to all your life. To us, they do not look better proportioned, they just look odd, while the others you've posted (the 'strange' ones) are the ones that look better proportioned in many cases.
My dad who is 57 agrees with me. But don't you see what I mean about the comparisons? Even if you just take it as English trains being boring looking, they do not have any 'strange features'. They have smooth body sides with no mis-matched doors and windows, and level floor hight through out. There some foreign trains that I think look fine (not perfect looking) like the Valero train and the TGV Duplex...
__________________
"BEFORE WE MARRY...I HAVE A SECRET!"

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 05:44 PM   #303
Slagathor
Gay love is love too
 
Slagathor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Hague
Posts: 8,455
Likes (Received): 6136

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
My dad who is 57 agrees with me. But don't you see what I mean about the comparisons? Even if you just take it as English trains being boring looking, they do not have any 'strange features'. They have smooth body sides with no mis-matched doors and windows, and level floor hight through out.
That's not true though, is it? I've seen lots of strange creatures traveling on the railway tracks back when I lived in England.

Funky square window, driver's cabin looks like it's been glued on last minute:




Again the dimensions of the driver's cabin are off. Its ceiling is higher, the side window is oddly placed and the coloring scheme just exaggerates the disturbed proportions:

image hosted on flickr



Do I need to point out the driver's cabin again? And what are those things on the side? Cheek bones?

image hosted on flickr



See, what you've done here is you figured out some trains are better looking than others. Congratulations. However it has little to do with the 'nationality' of a train.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 05:52 PM   #304
Teach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 362
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
My dad who is 57 agrees with me.
I'm sure he does. Most people think 'their' trains look the best. But I don't see your dad on here starting a thread where he tries incessantly to convince others that his taste in trains is better than that of others, now do I?

Quote:
Even if you just take it as English trains being boring looking, they do not have any 'strange features'. They have smooth body sides with no mis-matched doors and windows, and level floor hight through out.
And there you go again, trying t convince me that your (or the British) taste in looks is the only correct one. It isn't.
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:21 PM   #305
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***
 
poshbakerloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Manchester, Cheshire, Sheffield, Moscow
Posts: 5,090
Likes (Received): 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post


Again the dimensions of the driver's cabin are off. Its ceiling is higher, the side window is oddly placed and the coloring scheme just exaggerates the disturbed proportions:

image hosted on flickr




See, what you've done here is you figured out some trains are better looking than others. Congratulations. However it has little to do with the 'nationality' of a train.
I never liked the 220s anyway...But other than that...all the rest look fine, no strange features and you know what I mean when I say that...

There is NO formal or uniform design...just an uneven floor height, mess of windows and doors and a roof that sticks up too high...

This...


VS...

This...

__________________
"BEFORE WE MARRY...I HAVE A SECRET!"

I <3 London

Last edited by poshbakerloo; July 23rd, 2009 at 06:27 PM.
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:41 PM   #306
flierfy
Registered User
 
flierfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,885
Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
The staff of BRITISH railway companies speak ENGLISH??? MY GOD, how incredible! Whoever would have guessed such a thing! Are you seriously suggesting that British railway companies are better because their staff speak English?
They are better because they aren't ridiculous. Read before you write.
__________________
Rippachtal.de
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:46 PM   #307
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***
 
poshbakerloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Manchester, Cheshire, Sheffield, Moscow
Posts: 5,090
Likes (Received): 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
That's not true though, is it? I've seen lots of strange creatures traveling on the railway tracks back when I lived in England.

Funky square window, driver's cabin looks like it's been glued on last minute:



I hear you on that...the 442s do have a strange cab design...but the rest couldn't be better, the window, door and roof dimensions are perfect...

__________________
"BEFORE WE MARRY...I HAVE A SECRET!"

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:48 PM   #308
Teach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 362
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
They are better because they aren't ridiculous. Read before you write.
I think my reading abilities are just fine, thank you very much. Here's what you wrote:

Quote:
And taking about embarrassments. The staff of British railway companies speaks properly English. Something you can't say about Deutsche Bahn and its ridiculous attempts to flatter travellers from abroad.
...pretty clear to anyone that you're saying the British staff are better because they speak English. If that's not what you meant, perhaps you should take a closer look at your own skills in the English language before further commenting.
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:06 PM   #309
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***
 
poshbakerloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Manchester, Cheshire, Sheffield, Moscow
Posts: 5,090
Likes (Received): 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
I think my reading abilities are just fine, thank you very much. Here's what you wrote:



...pretty clear to anyone that you're saying the British staff are better because they speak English. If that's not what you meant, perhaps you should take a closer look at your own skills in the English language before further commenting.
We're talking train appearances here...

The Class 222 looks great



and so does the Class 376...

__________________
"BEFORE WE MARRY...I HAVE A SECRET!"

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:32 PM   #310
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----
 
Momo1435's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: アルフェナンデンライン
Posts: 35,161
Likes (Received): 62787

Stop comparing English single deck trains with French double-decker trains, that's not a fair competition because those French double-decker trains are simply not the best looking trains in Europe.

And that makes it sometimes hard to discuss this with you because you basically compare the better looking English trains with the uglier European trains. And even some of the good looking non English trains that are presented here are just plain ugly.

Anyway, some shameless Deutsche (Bundes)Bahn Flickr picture spam. Just because when it comes to looks you can't beat a good decent looking red train.

image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr

by: Woodpeckar

image hosted on flickr

by: sascha_tgv-fan

image hosted on flickr

by: 146 106

image hosted on flickr

by: 146 106

image hosted on flickr

by: 146 106

image hosted on flickr

by: 146 106
__________________
Support your Idols
キタ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ฅ(๑⊙д⊙๑)ฅ!! ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━!!!
Japan Projects & Construction
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:51 PM   #311
Teach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 362
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Anyway, some shameless Deutsche (Bundes)Bahn Flickr picture spam. Just because when it comes to looks you can't beat a good decent looking red train.
Why bother? All he's going to do is come back and say they all look 'odd', 'strange' and 'out of proportion'. Then he'll post a picture of a 'good-looking' train which, surprise surprise, will be a British train, looking exactly like all the other ones he's posted, with a slightly different nose.
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:25 PM   #312
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***
 
poshbakerloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Manchester, Cheshire, Sheffield, Moscow
Posts: 5,090
Likes (Received): 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post

image hosted on flickr

by: 146 106
perfect example...look at the roofs of the coaches...dodgy dome roof or what...

You don't get it with the BR MK1,2,3 or 4 coaches...



Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
Why bother? All he's going to do is come back and say they all look 'odd', 'strange' and 'out of proportion'. Then he'll post a picture of a 'good-looking' train which, surprise surprise, will be a British train, looking exactly like all the other ones he's posted, with a slightly different nose.
The reason why I post them is because they do not have any dodgy features like have been going on about for ages...Find me an English train with a silly high roof or looking like a tram...
__________________
"BEFORE WE MARRY...I HAVE A SECRET!"

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:14 PM   #313
flierfy
Registered User
 
flierfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,885
Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
I think my reading abilities are just fine, thank you very much.

...pretty clear to anyone that you're saying the British staff are better because they speak English. If that's not what you meant, perhaps you should take a closer look at your own skills in the English language before further commenting.
Your reading abilities are just fine for an 8-year old. Grown-up readers, however, have evolved a much more sophisticated capability to comprehend the meaning of a written text.
__________________
Rippachtal.de
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:24 PM   #314
Teach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 362
Likes (Received): 19

This is ridiculous. You STILL haven't figured it out, have you? What is 'dodgy' and 'silly' to you is, in fact NOT dodgy or silly, it's simply different from what you're used to. You think it's dodgy or silly, and that's fine. Just don't go preaching to us how much better looking YOUR trains are compared to OURS. It's the silly internet variant to the childish playground game of 'my dad can beat up your dad'. Completely useless. You think these things look silly, we tend to think the strangely bended sides look a bit silly, and think the way the carriages' bodies in the U.K. start so high up they leave the entire mechancal underside exposed looks a bit 'dodgy', but you don't see me claiming ours are therefore better than yours, do you?

Now please, don't respond with yet another set of pictures in which you try to convince me your trains look better. If you're going to respond, let it be in a way that makes me believe you've understood what I'm trying to get across.

Last edited by Teach; July 23rd, 2009 at 10:34 PM.
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:34 PM   #315
Teach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 362
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Your reading abilities are just fine for an 8-year old. Grown-up readers, however, have evolved a much more sophisticated capability to comprehend the meaning of a written text.
Are you going to evolve beyond the stage of empty insults and see that what you wrote may not have been what you meant to write, or are you simply going to keep playing this game? A little warning: I wouldn't go into a linguistic debate if I were you. Many have tried it in the past, none have won. Just in case you do want to start one, I'll fire the first shot: Explain to me please, how this:
Quote:
And taking about embarrassments. The staff of British railway companies speaks properly (sic) English. Something you can't say about Deutsche Bahn and its ridiculous attempts to flatter travellers from abroad.
.. does NOT mean you think the British are better because they speak English. I eagerly await your answer. No BS, no beating about the bush or thinly veiled insult, just pretend I am an 8 year-old and explain it to me.
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:46 PM   #316
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***
 
poshbakerloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Manchester, Cheshire, Sheffield, Moscow
Posts: 5,090
Likes (Received): 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
This is ridiculous. You STILL haven't figured it out, have you? What is 'dodgy' and 'silly' to you is, in fact NOT dodgy or silly, it's simply different from what you're used to. You think it's dodgy or silly, and that's fine. Just don't go preaching to us how much better looking YOUR trains are compared to OURS. It's the silly internet variant to the childish playground game of 'my dad can beat up your dad'. Completely useless. You think these things look silly, we tend to think the strangely bended sides look a bit silly, and think the way the carriages' bodies in the U.K. start so high up they leave the entire mechancal underside exposed looks a bit 'dodgy', but you don't see me claiming ours are therefore better than yours, do you?

Now please, don't respond with yet another set of pictures in which you try to convince me your trains look better. If you're going to respond, let it be in a way that makes me believe you've understood what I'm trying to get across.
If I can say that a French train looks like it has a hump back, or a German train looks like a door wedge...

An English train looks like wot animal or house hold object?

I haven't heard any opinions from you...except just saying that my thoughts are stupid, add to the debate...post pictures, tell us your views...

Show a European, North American, South American or Asian train you like the look of...
__________________
"BEFORE WE MARRY...I HAVE A SECRET!"

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:55 PM   #317
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----
 
Momo1435's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: アルフェナンデンライン
Posts: 35,161
Likes (Received): 62787

I don't care if it's pointless.

"Die Kleine Rote"

image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr

by: hansp73

image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr

by: Effimera59 - Donadelli Daniele

image hosted on flickr

by: Ambrosiana Pictures (G)

image hosted on flickr


Especially the 1st picture (Ge 4/4 I), that's one of the best looking loco in the world.

Oh and eh... coaches with domed roofs rule OK!
__________________
Support your Idols
キタ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ฅ(๑⊙д⊙๑)ฅ!! ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━!!!
Japan Projects & Construction
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:57 PM   #318
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***
 
poshbakerloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Manchester, Cheshire, Sheffield, Moscow
Posts: 5,090
Likes (Received): 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
Especially the 1st picture (Ge 4/4 I), that's one of the best looking loco in the world.

Oh and eh... coaches with domed roofs rule OK!
Thankyou for a valid opinion...I don't agree of course (lol) but at least you don't just jump in and say "ooh you stupid to say that" unlike that 'teach' guy...
__________________
"BEFORE WE MARRY...I HAVE A SECRET!"

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:10 PM   #319
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----
 
Momo1435's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: アルフェナンデンライン
Posts: 35,161
Likes (Received): 62787

More Swiss trains

image hosted on flickr

by: lazytom

image hosted on flickr

by: lazytom

BLS oldschool look

image hosted on flickr

by lastarial

BLS newschool look

image hosted on flickr

by: rocroi1643
__________________
Support your Idols
キタ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ฅ(๑⊙д⊙๑)ฅ!! ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━!!!
Japan Projects & Construction
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:24 PM   #320
Teach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 362
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
.I don't agree of course (lol) but at least you don't just jump in and say "ooh you stupid to say that" unlike that 'teach' guy...
Oh please man don't start that crap. I never said you can't think one train looks nicer than another, so don't make it seem like I did. All I have a problem with is your whole attitude where you are the one who gets to decide what looks nice and what doesn't. You want me to post pictures of what I think are nice trains? Why would I? All the others who've done so here have received a belittling 'my god that's ugly / silly / dodgy,...' comment, followed by a 'not nearly as good-looking as our True British Trains Ltd.'

I don't have a problem with you thinking British trains are the best looking, but I DO have a problem with you seemingly being unable to go a single post without calling everyone else's trains butt-ugly.
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium