daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:34 PM   #321
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
Oh please man don't start that crap. I never said you can't think one train looks nicer than another, so don't make it seem like I did. All I have a problem with is your whole attitude where you are the one who gets to decide what looks nice and what doesn't. You want me to post pictures of what I think are nice trains? Why would I? All the others who've done so here have received a belittling 'my god that's ugly / silly / dodgy,...' comment, followed by a 'not nearly as good-looking as our True British Trains Ltd.'

I don't have a problem with you thinking British trains are the best looking, but I DO have a problem with you seemingly being unable to go a single post without calling everyone else's trains butt-ugly.
Its my opinion...give yours, what do you think about English train designs compared to other countries...and please don't compare a Class 142 Pacer with a TGV Duplux...

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #322
Teach

Likes (Received): 19

I'm not going to compare British trains to others one to one, because that's completely useless. All you'll see from me are some pictures of trains I think are nice looking, and some I think are ugly.

Good-looking:

Ugly ones:

There you go. Pretty balanced out I think, because unlike you I don't see this as an 'us against them' race. You have some nice looking trains, and some that are butt-ugly. And so do we.
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 12:47 AM   #323
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Quote:
Actually, it's the livery of the CityRail, to be used on the future GEN / RER. These trains are older than the ones that go to Roosedaal btw, they've just been recently renovated. 40 of the old 'classic' EMUs are being renovated like this.

They're currently lobbying NMBS in Roosendaal to let the Essen-Brussels intercity service come to Roosendaal once the Benelux stops going there. The Essen-Brussels intercity operates with the M6 double deckers, so you might get them in Roosendaal in the future.
Ah yes, that's what they're called indeed Been in one a couple of times, you can see they've been renovated, but they're certainly not as nice as our M6 double-deck coaches.

I read there was a problem with sending them through Roosendaal due to the carriages not having regular dimensions (they fit within the Belgian dimensions but not the Dutch dimensions, or so I've heard). One source that I found: HGBTF (Dutch). I'm sure I read it elsewhere as well though...

Anyway, so far the off-topic...

It's a bit sad that just someone's opinion that differs from other people's opinion is resulting in such a big thread... I don't like discussing opinions so I won't be doing that.

To add on my previous reply: a better comparison of language skills would be the amount of German that British officers can speak. I'm pretty sure that'll be around 0% (and as such much lower than the amount of German officers who can speak English).

Greetings,
Glodenox
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #324
nibblecat

Likes (Received): 0

The thing about British trains are the standards to which every design must comply. The tight loading gauge, the yellow front and the orange warning strip, the platform height etc.

These considerations give UK rolling stock a certain conformist and therefore familiar aethestic. Not sure I'd agree that this is unique to the UK though, but I do tend to prefer foreign designs that look like they would fit on the UK network without modification.

The class 66s deployed in Europe, for example, that incorporate a Yellow front look better, to me, than those that don't. Its about familiarity, its not like many British trains are actually British designs any more.
nibblecat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #325
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
These part time high speed trains in Germany can very well be compared to any other train. If you haven't sussed it yet this thread is about appearance. And a train is a train. It got nothing to do with apples and oranges.
No they can't. You don't compare a TGV to a ******* pacer because there is nothing to compare. Idiots.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #326
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Lol..is this fair...NO!

1950s Class 101

Bullet train

I <3 London
Old July 24th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #327
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6136

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
Show a European, North American, South American or Asian train you like the look of...
Three from Holland:

Mat '64

Sprinter

Koploper

Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #328
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:

Lol..is this fair...NO!

1950s Class 101

Bullet train
My point explained brilliantly.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 03:51 AM   #329
DWNTWN

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Three from Holland:

Mat '64

Sprinter

Koploper

NS trains are absolutely gorgeous. Each model has its own charm... I must say though, the V-IRMs and those new sprinters are exceptionally aesthetically pleasing!

DWNTWN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #330
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
I'm 19...
I don't mean to be rude (although I probably am), but this explains a lot.

Quote:
My dad who is 57 agrees with me. But don't you see what I mean about the comparisons? Even if you just take it as English trains being boring looking, they do not have any 'strange features'. They have smooth body sides with no mis-matched doors and windows, and level floor hight through out. There some foreign trains that I think look fine (not perfect looking) like the Valero train and the TGV Duplex...
You should ask your father to teach you about relativity. Maybe then you would realise that what you think is gorgeous looks really weird and ugly to everyone else. Most UK trains look strange seen from the continent because of the different standards that shape them. I know enough to not say that they're ugly because I know they're just different and quite aesthetic in their own way. I do think though that they kind of look like toys compared to continental trains, which is what Americans must think of all European trains, continental or not, because they're used to much bigger and heavier trains.

Relativity, do you understand it?

Quote:
I used to live right above this train station, and I've taken these trains a lot. They're well-built, clean, comfortable, fast-ish (it's a local train running on winding tracks along the coast) and quite good-looking, if a little "functional" in appearance. They look better in Monaco livery:

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Maxx☢Power; July 26th, 2009 at 01:29 PM.
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #331
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

^
I hear you, I never have been a fan out double deck trains tbh...Some look better than other, I guess the one I like the most is TGV duplex...

I still love a good Class 180, these 130mph (limited to a service speed of 125mph) express DMUs came in around 2000...

The 100mph Class 175 is a lower speed version of the same train, used on long distance routes with lower speed tracks...

When people say they dislike the look of English trains, can they say what the dis like? To do with their appearance...

I <3 London
Old July 26th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #332
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
When people say they dislike the look of English trains, can they say what the dis like? To do with their appearance...
To me they look small and plastic-y, but so does the Velaro which I think is one of the best looking trains in the world. Their weird "upside down v" shape looks unnatural and it's very obvious that their shape is because of limitations other than the train itself and not for esthetical reasons.

That being said, I was in Liverpool yesterday and spent some time waiting at Liverpool South Parkway where I saw several "high-speed" trains pass by, and I must say they looked really good in their native environment. The thing about UK trains vs most continental trains is that on the continent there are the super-awesome HSTs and then there's the old crappy ones from the 70s and 80s (very simplified, there are a lot of newer, very good looking non-HST trains here too), while in the UK there doesn't seem to be this wide gap between HSTs and other trains. I also think the liveries used by private companies look much better than most state-owned operators (SNCF & Trenitalia in particular look like crap).

Last edited by Maxx☢Power; July 26th, 2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: typo
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #333
Teach

Quote:
The thing about UK trains vs most continental trains is that on the continent there are the super-awesome HSTs and then there's the old crappy ones from the 70s and 80s (very simplified, there are a lot of newer, very good looking non-HST trains here too), while in the UK there doesn't seem to be this wide gap between HSTs and other trains.
The reason for that is that most of the private companies in the UK, after taking over from british Rail, decided to buy new equipment, and they all decided to do so around the same time. So, instead of a 'slow but steady' renewal of the fleet like you see in most of Europe, the British fleet (or at least a big chunk of it) was renewed very quickly, resulting in the pretty young train fleet in the UK today. Flipside of this is of course that, in the coming years, you'll slowly see the average age of British trains increase again, as less new stuff will come in.
Old July 26th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #334
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62783

Because of the small English loading gauge the bogies always seem to be wide for the train itself. They always stick out a bit where on European trains (wider body) or Japanese trains (narrow gauge) they are completely under the body. Basically that is what often bothers me about English trains, the dimensions are just not right.

In other words it's exactly the same as you but then the other way around. The only difference is that I don't really dislike the English trains, they just are not on my list of good looking trains.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #335
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
The reason for that is that most of the private companies in the UK, after taking over from british Rail, decided to buy new equipment, and they all decided to do so around the same time. So, instead of a 'slow but steady' renewal of the fleet like you see in most of Europe, the British fleet (or at least a big chunk of it) was renewed very quickly, resulting in the pretty young train fleet in the UK today. Flipside of this is of course that, in the coming years, you'll slowly see the average age of British trains increase again, as less new stuff will come in.
They quite often replaces trains even if they are not that old...Northern Rail will be getting new trains to replace its 323s that only came in, in the 90s. And anything that is real old gets fully refurbished to a very high standard...like the 35+year old HSTs...

From this...

To this...

I <3 London
Old July 27th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #336
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Are you going to evolve beyond the stage of empty insults and see that what you wrote may not have been what you meant to write, or are you simply going to keep playing this game? A little warning: I wouldn't go into a linguistic debate if I were you. Many have tried it in the past, none have won.
Of course they haven't won. They were smart enough not to get sucked into a pointless discussion and left you alone. And so will I. Look for someone else you can bore with your pernicketiness. Any efforts to reply your comments is a complete waste of time.

And no, you don't need to answers this. I won't read your posts anyway.
Old July 27th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #337
Teach

A rather cute attempt to turn an already lost discussion around in your favor and still appear to come out on top. Failed, but cute.
Old July 28th, 2009, 01:09 AM   #338
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

In my view, Britain's top five, best-looking diesel/electric trains/locomotives are as follows:

1. The IC 125 power car
2. The class 47 and Kestrel prototype
3. The class 92
4. The class 180 Adelante
5. The class 60

These all stand up within the best that Europe offers.

The worst looking train that Europe will see will be...the new class 70s.

I'd love to know how the designers at GE gave the design the green light. Were they on Crystal Meths at the time?
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #339
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedStriker View Post

The worst looking train that Europe will see will be...the new class 70s.
You got that right. Dear sweet Jesus...

Although it does look better painted and from a different angle, granted it's just a rendering

Last edited by Jay; July 29th, 2009 at 09:18 PM.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #340
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

This one would be a close second...

I think there should be some sort of law that a vehicle cannot be too ugly

This one is also up there..

image hosted on flickr
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote