daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 20th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #521
da_scotty
Registered User
 
da_scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oss/Delft
Posts: 3,351
Likes (Received): 790

I dont think it is neceserraly Succesfull, but its form is just bound to the size regulation
__________________
Student at Delft University of Technology specializing in Transport & Infrastructure and Airport Design.
da_scotty está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #522
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***
 
poshbakerloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Manchester, Cheshire, Sheffield, Moscow
Posts: 5,091
Likes (Received): 289

there isn't anything unsuccessful about the design. It was British trains that first had automatic sliding doors on commuter trains...
The whole concept of the passenger train was started in England, the everyone else followed. So was the 2 doors on each side 1/3 and 2/3 across on commuter trains
__________________
"BEFORE WE MARRY...I HAVE A SECRET!"

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #523
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate
 
manrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Urban New England
Posts: 4,150
Likes (Received): 499

Is there a reason that English commuter trains always have the two-door configuration on each side instead of going for a three-door or four-door configuration?
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #524
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***
 
poshbakerloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Manchester, Cheshire, Sheffield, Moscow
Posts: 5,091
Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
Is there a reason that English commuter trains always have the two-door configuration on each side instead of going for a three-door or four-door configuration?
I have no idea. The London Underground trains all have 4 doors, I guess they just thought they weren't needed. The old MK1 and MK2 based trains had loads of doors with the old compartment trains as can be seen here...

__________________
"BEFORE WE MARRY...I HAVE A SECRET!"

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #525
Uppsala
Registered User
 
Uppsala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Uppsala, S, Europe
Posts: 654
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
I have no idea. The London Underground trains all have 4 doors, I guess they just thought they weren't needed. The old MK1 and MK2 based trains had loads of doors with the old compartment trains as can be seen here...

I can't understand why these old EMU have all those slam doors. For me it looks very strange. Why didn't they built them with a few wide doors like old trains at the S-Bahn in Berlin?

Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #526
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***
 
poshbakerloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Manchester, Cheshire, Sheffield, Moscow
Posts: 5,091
Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
I can't understand why these old EMU have all those slam doors. For me it looks very strange. Why didn't they built them with a few wide doors like old trains at the S-Bahn in Berlin?

They did...

Class 303

It just depended on how crowded it got. Compartment trains have a higher capacity as they have 2 rows of 6 in each compartment (the compartments went right cross the coach with no corridor.
__________________
"BEFORE WE MARRY...I HAVE A SECRET!"

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 03:09 AM   #527
iampuking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,414
Likes (Received): 43

Ahh the slam doors. Those doors could be opened when the train was moving as I remember and the dwell times were so short because there were so many doors. I remember the sound of them all slamming shut... Happy days.

Speaking of doors, I love how hard the doors slam shut on the Class 465/466s and Class 444s. They make the train itself shake.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 02:32 PM   #528
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***
 
poshbakerloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Manchester, Cheshire, Sheffield, Moscow
Posts: 5,091
Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Ahh the slam doors. Those doors could be opened when the train was moving as I remember and the dwell times were so short because there were so many doors. I remember the sound of them all slamming shut... Happy days.

Speaking of doors, I love how hard the doors slam shut on the Class 465/466s and Class 444s. They make the train itself shake.
None of them trains have slam doors, but I know that the Class 444s like all the UK desiros when the doors close they do 'slam' pretty hard, even tho they are plug doors...

__________________
"BEFORE WE MARRY...I HAVE A SECRET!"

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:31 AM   #529
iampuking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,414
Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
None of them trains have slam doors, but I know that the Class 444s like all the UK desiros when the doors close they do 'slam' pretty hard, even tho they are plug doors...
My second paragraph wasn't about slam doors...

I do love the hard slamming, it certainly beats how lightly the doors close on some tube lines. And isn't it funny how everyone respects them?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:20 PM   #530
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***
 
poshbakerloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Manchester, Cheshire, Sheffield, Moscow
Posts: 5,091
Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
My second paragraph wasn't about slam doors...

I do love the hard slamming, it certainly beats how lightly the doors close on some tube lines. And isn't it funny how everyone respects them?
Tube trains have sliding doors, so they won't slam anyway, plug doors do slam as they close inward...

__________________
"BEFORE WE MARRY...I HAVE A SECRET!"

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:24 PM   #531
Mostly Lurking
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,823
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
Tube trains have sliding doors, so they won't slam anyway, plug doors do slam as they close inward...
On some tube stock they close hard and fast hence the use of the word 'slam'.

But you already know that and just want to keep the thread going.
Mostly Lurking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:15 PM   #532
Uppsala
Registered User
 
Uppsala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Uppsala, S, Europe
Posts: 654
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
Tube trains have sliding doors, so they won't slam anyway, plug doors do slam as they close inward...

Metropolitan line. I think this looks quite similar to the typical trains at the Metro in Bucharest.

Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:05 AM   #533
iampuking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,414
Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Lurking View Post
On some tube stock they close hard and fast hence the use of the word 'slam'.

But you already know that and just want to keep the thread going.
Took the words out of my mouth there.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:15 AM   #534
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***
 
poshbakerloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Manchester, Cheshire, Sheffield, Moscow
Posts: 5,091
Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Lurking View Post
On some tube stock they close hard and fast hence the use of the word 'slam'.
How can they slam if they dnt slam against anything??? they slide!
__________________
"BEFORE WE MARRY...I HAVE A SECRET!"

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 03:03 AM   #535
iampuking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,414
Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
How can they slam if they dnt slam against anything??? they slide!
They slam against each other. It's a rather simple concept, no? Or would you prefer to split hairs further in a risible attempt to reignite this pompous and self-indulgent thread?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:44 PM   #536
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***
 
poshbakerloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Manchester, Cheshire, Sheffield, Moscow
Posts: 5,091
Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
this pompous and self-indulgent thread?
uh oh! I never knew trains got under peoples skin so much
__________________
"BEFORE WE MARRY...I HAVE A SECRET!"

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:50 PM   #537
Mostly Lurking
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,823
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
uh oh! I never knew trains got under peoples skin so much
They don't. You do.

That is why you have stopped posting on other sites because of the backlash and warnings from mods.
Mostly Lurking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:18 AM   #538
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***
 
poshbakerloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Manchester, Cheshire, Sheffield, Moscow
Posts: 5,091
Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Lurking View Post
They don't. You do.

That is why you have stopped posting on other sites because of the backlash and warnings from mods.
Its because some people get stressed out about my views on things rather than giving their opinions and adding to it etc...it was all going good until Rail UK users took over this thread haha (I'm guessing thats what you mean)
__________________
"BEFORE WE MARRY...I HAVE A SECRET!"

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 04:17 AM   #539
Mostly Lurking
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,823
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
Its because some people get stressed out about my views on things rather than giving their opinions and adding to it etc...it was all going good until Rail UK users took over this thread haha (I'm guessing thats what you mean)
Point proven. You don't like it when people disagree with you, or you are challenged. So you start to make daft comments. "It was all going your way until people started to disagree or correct me".

I haven't just joined this thread either, I have been on it from since near the beginning.

The whole point of you starting this thread was to serve your own self indulgence - it is clear to see for all (but some good pictures have been posted too).
Mostly Lurking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #540
Republica
BUND
 
Republica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 4,036
Likes (Received): 3

for some reason tim nice but dim springs to mind when i look at this thread
__________________
Rant
Republica no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium