daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2010, 11:36 PM   #541
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Lurking View Post
Point proven. You don't like it when people disagree with you, or you are challenged. So you start to make daft comments. "It was all going your way until people started to disagree or correct me".

I haven't just joined this thread either, I have been on it from since near the beginning.

The whole point of you starting this thread was to serve your own self indulgence - it is clear to see for all (but some good pictures have been posted too).
I'm not the one calling this thread silly. I'm just saying that I'm giving my views...whats wrong with that? Give yours, if you have any...about the appearance of UK trains that is...

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #542
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62789

The whole point is that when we voice our opinions you just dismiss them, it always comes back to the point that English trains look good and others are simply ugly.

So here we go, some European classics, just for you.

image hosted on flickr

by kilux

image hosted on flickr

by Gerald Buis

image hosted on flickr

by Hugo van Vondelen

image hosted on flickr

by dombas

image hosted on flickr

by Dickey.1952

image hosted on flickr

by Gerard van Vliet

image hosted on flickr

by Gerard van Vliet

image hosted on flickr

by w. + h. brutzer

image hosted on flickr

by BarkingBill

image hosted on flickr

by mostlybytrain (All from Flickr)
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #543
julesstoop

Likes (Received): 80

I love the Trans Europe Express! Youth sentiment
Old March 28th, 2010, 02:37 AM   #544
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

This is the 'slam' I was talking about. It was actually the 450s I remembered it from.

iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #545
TsLeng

Likes (Received): 0

I think thats the slam that poshbakerloo is talking about. Those are sliding plug doors in case you think it was sliding doors. Plain sliding doors would be like on LU stock. Just one axis of travel.

Yes those doors on Siemens Desiros slam damn hard. I sometimes get startled by them (napping haha)
TsLeng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:23 PM   #546
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsLeng View Post
I think thats the slam that poshbakerloo is talking about. Those are sliding plug doors in case you think it was sliding doors. Plain sliding doors would be like on LU stock. Just one axis of travel.

Yes those doors on Siemens Desiros slam damn hard. I sometimes get startled by them (napping haha)
It dnt really bother me too much, although I have seen other people jump haha

I <3 London
Old March 31st, 2010, 02:40 AM   #547
ranieri

Likes (Received): 5

it boggles my mind

I still fail to understand why I am unable to post photos on here. What is the reason and why does it apply to me?
ranieri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 09:36 PM   #548
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=339254
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:32 PM   #549
qiella

Likes (Received): 1

Hi.. how about these.. i think it looks okay ^ ^

by Eby5arz ,photobucket
qiella no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 04:25 AM   #550
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

To me, the only appealing English trains are the Desiros, the Virgin Pendolino, the Eurostar and the new Hitachi high-speed train. As for electrostars, well, they're OK, at best.

The livery on the London Midland Desiros is nice and uniform. It doesn't look like paint was splashed on it, which seems to be par for the course in some English railway operators.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:35...Euston_079.jpg
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #551
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

I much prefer Electrostars to Desiros (as long as it isn't a one with 2+3 crappy seating) because they have a much nicer motor sound, and otherwise similar ride.
makita09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #552
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
Originally Posted by makita09 View Post
I much prefer Electrostars to Desiros (as long as it isn't a one with 2+3 crappy seating) because they have a much nicer motor sound, and otherwise similar ride.
The ride on Electrostars is much better. I find the suspension on Desiros too soft, they tend to rock from side to side a lot even at low speeds.

I <3 London
Old April 6th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #553
Apoc89

Likes (Received): 55

I often use NE East Anglia's Desiros (360s) between Colchester and London...I really like the interiors, probably the cleanest and most modern on that line, although I agree the ride can get a bit rocky on some sections(very smooth on other parts though)

image hosted on flickr

On that note, I also try to catch the Class 90 + Mk3 coach Norwich-London intercity services...they're the fastest and have my favorite seat layout unless I'm carrying lots of luggage.

I love how blocky yet sleek that loco looks, gives it a fast but also "industrial" look. (I like the very similar looking Class 91s for the same reason)
Apoc89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 03:37 AM   #554
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

We have a winner ...

"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #555
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotavento View Post
We have a winner ...
Or not (lol)

The 395s look much nicer, (More curved looking and a better angel for the front)

image hosted on flickr

I <3 London
Old April 28th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #556
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

E5 is the future!
Old April 28th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #557
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotavento View Post

No, I don't like it! I think it just looks strange. Maybe the future in Asia but not here i Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post

Yes, I like this one. It's look like a typical modern train in Europe. It's not only a train for UK, this could be used in Germany or Italy too.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 06:05 AM   #558
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Ok, I know we have different taste. But the interesting with this thread is that we can show what we like. Se here I show what I like.

We can start with something British, because this thread started with that. So this is something I think is really beautiful. The LNER A4 or more famous with the name Mallard.

This is an electric locomotive from Sweden. I think it’s a real beauty. It’s built in 1925. An electric locomotive with wood outside. I really love it. I think its maybe the most beautiful electric locomotive in Europe or in the world.

I can understand why many like the Mark 3 in the UK. It’s a nice coach and comfortable too. And the first prototypes were built in 1972, but still look quite modern. It looks more modern than the German coaches from 1972. The Mark 3 looks streamlined and modern. I like the Mark 3. But I don’t think the Mark 2 is that nice. I think the Mark 3 looks better.

Yes, I know, the roof is high. The roof is extra high at this sort of coaches. But I think it’s the beauty with this one. This is the OSShD Type Y and that’s was a standard model from the former of Eastern Europe. Many of them were delivered to Czechoslovakia. But they came to Poland, Eastern Germany, Bulgaria, Hungary, Romania and also to Greece. This one is from Slovakia. I really love them.

I think old InterCity coaches in Sweden is beautiful. But now they look a little bit old-fashioned. I like them best in old InterCity livery. Most of them now who are still in service can be find in Bosnia and Herzegovina and in Kosovo. So if someone like to use those coaches the biggest chance are in Bosnia and Herzegovina or in Kosovo. But the first class version is very comfortable.

I like the HST in the UK, timeless design. More than 30 years old but still quite modern. I can understand why they were so proud about those trains. They were a flag ship in many years in the UK. And in the rest of Europe, we were a little bit jealous about them. Maybe the first modern and real streamlined High speed design in Europe.

But I like the ICE 3 in Germany too. Modern design and streamlined. Its curved sides on it. I like this one.

Can a train be British and continental? Yes, of cause. The Eurostar is a good example of that. And I like them too.

There are many more trains I think is beautiful. But this was just a few of them. I hope someone enjoyed it.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 02:47 PM   #559
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
Or not (lol)

The 395s look much nicer, (More curved looking and a better angel for the front)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
No, I don't like it! I think it just looks strange. Maybe the future in Asia but not here i Europe.

Yes, I like this one. It's look like a typical modern train in Europe. It's not only a train for UK, this could be used in Germany or Italy too.
You guys need to catch up to reality ...

Class 390 and Class 91+Mk4 already did 225km/h backin the nineties ... class 395 in nothing new ... just comuter rail.

THAT picture I posted is the way to the future ...
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:58 AM   #560
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

I think you need to catch up, actually. This thread is about aesthetics and just because a train goes faster or is more modern, does not mean it is more attractive.

The train you posted looks like someone on acid has tried to draw a platypus.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote