daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2009, 02:42 AM   #61
Grunnen

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
British trains IMO have better proportions than others posted on this thread...
Like I said, British trains have those proportions only because of a particular technical limitation. A very unpractical limitation, because it makes double-deck trains impossible.

So it's just a matter of what you are used to.
Grunnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2009, 03:07 AM   #62
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8823

Not even necessarily what you're used to either - I'm used to British trains yet prefer Swiss and German rolling stock to our own (despite the age difference between them).
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #63
He Named Thor
Just kidding.

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
I agree with PoshBakerloo in principle. British trains look better. But only the newer ones. Those trainsets with a proper driver's cab and wide windscreen. Older trainsets look rather like a cut sausage. Anyway, the absence of a locomotive gives British trains a more flashy appearance.

Still, there are exceptions. No train looks better and feels better than the ICE3/ICE-T. Apart from that there is nothing worth mentioning on continental tracks. Well, they are OK at least.

Outside of Europe trains tend to look rather like cattle trains. Even those which are mean for passengers. Especially trains in north America are downright ugly.
The biggest problem with NA trains is the mishmash of rolling stock. Different paint schemes and different cars just thrown together to make a train. It's nothing more than underfunding really. Some trains here look pretty decent. Amtrak California, for instance, seems to have it's stuff together.

image hosted on flickr

Good paint with all matching cars. None of the completely-different-style mail cars mucking it up either. Could use a bath though.

And yes, most of our locomotives are based on freight locos. Why wouldn't they be though? 99% of our rail is freight, it only makes sense for our passenger trains to have inherited some of it. It's kind of nice too, as it sets us apart. Trains in Europe all LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME! Deciding which is nicer is really nothing more than a matter of choosing which paint scheme you like best.

Though TGV wins the beauty contest.

P.S. Don't knock the Superliners, there's no better way to travel. There's a reason why they are so popular.

EDIT: Here's a better pic; http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=9526

Last edited by He Named Thor; March 14th, 2009 at 10:57 AM.
He Named Thor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #64
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20314

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonwiin View Post
A well, it is the land of Thomas, the engine.
Actually, Thomas lives on Sodor, the only connection to the British rail network is at Barrow-in-Furness.

Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #65
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by He Named Thor View Post
And yes, most of our locomotives are based on freight locos. Why wouldn't they be though? 99% of our rail is freight, it only makes sense for our passenger trains to have inherited some of it. It's kind of nice too, as it sets us apart. Trains in Europe all LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME! Deciding which is nicer is really nothing more than a matter of choosing which paint scheme you like best.

Though TGV wins the beauty contest.

P.S. Don't knock the Superliners, there's no better way to travel. There's a reason why they are so popular.

EDIT: Here's a better pic; http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=9526
Rolling stock in Europe looks very different. Don't forget, Britain is in Europe and their rolling stock looks entirely different to any continental stock. Not to mention the fact that there are numerous units all over the continent that look nothing like each other.

PS: I find that Amtrack train hideous. The carriages look like shiny tin cans with tiny doors and windows. Nothing better than cattle cars for people. Eugh!
Old March 14th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #66
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63058

British trains are more compact, are curvier around the edges and stand proportionally higher on the wheels the most European trains. That are the main differences that have anything to do with the proportions. And there also design differences because British train designers like to do it their own way. They really haven't looked too much at the trends in Europe when it comes to the design of trains.

And in Britain the only rail vehicles with a low floor are trams, therefor you may think the European light rail vehicles look like them. But that's still a matter of taste, because there is no real reason why it's bad that some trains look like trams.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #67
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
I still think that pretty much all European none high speed trains look like trams...and the high speed ones are 'ok' but have weird design features e.g. very boxy coaches etc
Well, most of them are glorified trams because they serve short-to-medium commuter routes.. Longer routes are served by entirely different trains like sleepers and HSTs. I agree that some trains like the "Duck" and the 700 series Shinkansen look weird, but I guess they're designed for function rather than form. Others again are much more aesthetically pleasing, so you can't just dismiss them all like that.

Quote:
The TGV is technologically high end. Its appearance, however, is disappointing. One can expect better from the French.
The TGV is an aging beast, but it was probably among the "prettiest" when it was new. Although newer, more aerodynamic versions like the Duplex are quite different and more pleasing to the eye. As for the best looking of them all, I think the 500 series Shinkansen wins:

..closely followed by the Siemens Velaro:

Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #68
JoKo65

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Rolling stock in Europe looks very different. Don't forget, Britain is in Europe and their rolling stock looks entirely different to any continental stock. Not to mention the fact that there are numerous units all over the continent that look nothing like each other.

[…]
We have three main designs in Europe:

1) British.
2) Continental.
3) East european.
Old March 14th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #69
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

I prefer French and German trainsets for everything except perhaps maybe short distance commuting.

I find it charming to return to Britain after a continental vacation to see our 'unique' sense of style (basically the bastardisation of continental and celtic influence)... but lets not pretend our trains are anything to rate. A lot of the new sets were designed (and built in many cases) abroad.
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #70
He Named Thor
Just kidding.

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post

PS: I find that Amtrack train hideous. The carriages look like shiny tin cans with tiny doors and windows. Nothing better than cattle cars for people. Eugh!
I'm not sure how you make the connection between polished metal surfaces and cattle car but whatever.
He Named Thor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #71
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

I will never understand a person who doesnt appreciate the aesthetics of a TGV trainset. Never.
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #72
Micrav
Live!

Likes (Received): 16

A big box of Pandora has been opened here.

May I kindly remind that design follows function(s). Easthetic is a function among others and is one of the most subjective (I like, I don't like).

There is good looking and no good looking everywhere in the world. Tastes change with time too. That is the definition of fashion! Fashion is what goes out of fashion... Timeless is hard to achieve (we can consider maybe nails or needles as timeless designs ). We appreciate the beauty of the technology, etc.

I would say for British design of trains, that Brits have have been compensating poor design with good graphic design (there are exceptions of course). British trains are simply functional, that is what makes their beauty. But to export a style is not that easy. See with design of cars. Mini, great in Britain and France... Elsewhere limited? Jaguar, great cars, not affordable by everybody. Rover (produced typically strange design only Britons can stand.) Yes, relation with UK is love-hate, without compromise. If UK companies and politics were making more compromises, maybe they would gain on all fronts. There are great designers in UK, it is a question of culture, the culture of railway is different in UK, that is all
Micrav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #73
Micrav
Live!

Likes (Received): 16

By the way, Harry Potter train looks magical, because there is a story behind... Meditate on this
Micrav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #74
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

It is completely beyond me how some of you can seriously claim that German rolling stock were pretty. You have obviously never been here nor were you forced to use one of these trains.
They look shite from outside. They are hideous from inside. They don't match the platform height. These trains are in short an imposition for everyone's eyes. Stop mentioning German trains in this thread. Apart from one exemption they are simply atrocious.
Old March 15th, 2009, 12:12 AM   #75
Grunnen

Likes (Received): 58

Why so angry? Apart from the ICE and some TEE trains, I don't see any German trains at all in this thread.

And the type you quote isn't very representative either. Most of those trains have been replaced by modern double-deck trains, which look much nicer (from the inside at least) and do match platform height.
Grunnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #76
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunnen View Post
Like I said, British trains have those proportions only because of a particular technical limitation. A very unpractical limitation, because it makes double-deck trains impossible.

So it's just a matter of what you are used to.
So? This isn't a discussion about why trains are attractive, but whether they are or not.

Anyway, if it wasn't for the history that produced the restricted loading guage then we wouldn't of had extensive lines for ages criss-crossing the country.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 01:48 AM   #77
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1570

I do prefer the style of British trains, probably just because of the familiarity though.

If I'm ever in the mood to appreciate British trains, I just watch this!:
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:03 AM   #78
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

Videos of English trains

All looking much better than any other trains ;-)

35 year old HST...looks MUCH better than any other 35 year old train!

I <3 London

Last edited by poshbakerloo; March 15th, 2009 at 04:18 AM.
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 03:38 AM   #79
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
It is completely beyond me how some of you can seriously claim that German rolling stock were pretty. You have obviously never been here nor were you forced to use one of these trains.
They look shite from outside. They are hideous from inside. They don't match the platform height. These trains are in short an imposition for everyone's eyes. Stop mentioning German trains in this thread. Apart from one exemption they are simply atrocious.
The newer stock is nice in my opinion. I like the Class 425 as well as Class 481 and the Double Decker stock too.

I have had the pleasure of using German trains in the past and compared to much of the stock in Britain, I seriously think you're being too hard on your country. When you consider I've had the misfortune of being stuck on Class 150 Sprinters and Class 321 EMU's, is it any surprise that I found the German and Swiss stock infinitely superior?

Oh, and I can tell you for a fact that the interior shot you've provided is most definitely nicer than the interior of the BR Class 321's. Those things are very cramped indeed.
Old March 15th, 2009, 04:18 AM   #80
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

Quote:
Looks alright to me, at least for its age. and interior looks better than renovated trains on thameslink...

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote