daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 5th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #41
darkhorse09

Likes (Received): 13

Dont forget Northland Events Centre - Okara Park. Pics as of 30/11/2009

darkhorse09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #42
Pimpmaster

Likes (Received): 3

whats the capacity for that stadium
Pimpmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #43
darkhorse09

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpmaster View Post
whats the capacity for that stadium
Capacity is 20k. It's mostly grassed embanked

darkhorse09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 04:36 PM   #44
Pimpmaster

Likes (Received): 3

eden park

Pimpmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:17 AM   #45
KiwiBrit
There's only one United

Likes (Received): 12

Revamped Lancaster Park Officially Opened

Lancaster Park (AMI Stadium) was officially opened by Prime Minister John Key on 21 January 2010 and Saturday 23 January was the first public open day of the newly completed stadium in readiness a full 18 months before next years 2011 Rugby World Cup.

I have taken a couple of shots and have to say it looks pretty good.

New Deans stand from corporate facilities

New Deans stand from pitch level

Paul Kelly Stand

Paul Kelly stand pitchside

Hadlee stand

Tui stand

Just about spot-on to this artists impression from a couple of years ago

Last edited by KiwiBrit; January 23rd, 2010 at 08:12 AM.
KiwiBrit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 12:31 AM   #46
aus16

Likes (Received): 2

do they have suites behind those roller doors in the paul kelly stand

Last edited by aus16; January 24th, 2010 at 12:37 AM.
aus16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 02:07 AM   #47
KiwiBrit
There's only one United

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus16 View Post
do they have suites behind those roller doors in the paul kelly stand
No, there are no suites at pitch level in the Paul Kelly stand.

As far as I am aware they are used for various things like stadium announcer/audio, storage and even viewing rooms for the teams during the cricket season.

A temporary stand is constructed in front of the roller doors during the rugby season. And I assume they will probably do something similar for the new Deans stand.

Old January 24th, 2010, 02:43 AM   #48
piles

Likes (Received): 9

Cool pics KiwiBrit! You should repost them in the AMI Thread at Kiwiscrapers.

Hanging out for an aerial shot of the stadium, hopefully they'll be a few when the Cricket starts next month.
piles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:13 AM   #49
KiwiBrit
There's only one United

Thanks piles, I will.
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #50
CharlieP
Tax avoider

Likes (Received): 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by piles View Post
Cool pics KiwiBrit! You should repost them in the AMI Thread at Kiwiscrapers.

Hanging out for an aerial shot of the stadium, hopefully they'll be a few when the Cricket starts next month.
Surely you mean when the rugby starts next month?
CharlieP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #51
piles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
Surely you mean when the rugby starts next month?
Cricket is first. Bangladesh take on NZ at AMI on February 11th. The first Crusaders home game isn't till the 13th. They tend to show more shots of the stadium when Cricket is played also.
Old January 24th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #52
CharlieP
Tax avoider

Ah - I thought he meant "when the cricket season starts".

Though I still reckon NZ needs proper cricket grounds rather than the hybrid stadia you currently have...
Old February 19th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #53
CharlieP
Tax avoider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpmaster View Post
My **** nature makes me wish they'd "complete" the ASB Bank Stand so it's symmetrical, but I bet that's not going to happen.
Old February 20th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #54
piles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
My **** nature makes me wish they'd "complete" the ASB Bank Stand so it's symmetrical, but I bet that's not going to happen.
The blue Panasonic stand with the roof has been demolished and the ASB stand is going to be extended in its place.....but only the lower bowl so the roof won't be extended over it.
Old February 21st, 2010, 02:46 PM   #55
JohanSA

Likes (Received): 478

Oky Im going to sound bitter but I cant believe those stadia are hosting a RWC final and Semifinals. They are kinda pathetic . New Zealand could have provided atleast one spectacular stadium to host the final? There must be need for that in the country? Isnt rugby by far your number one sport? Something like Cape Town stadium but around 60 000 seater?

image hosted on flickr
Twitter, Instagram : @JohanTTBlom
JohanSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 02:51 AM   #56
spotila
SSC Mapper

Likes (Received): 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanSA View Post
Oky Im going to sound bitter but I cant believe those stadia are hosting a RWC final and Semifinals. They are kinda pathetic . New Zealand could have provided atleast one spectacular stadium to host the final? There must be need for that in the country? Isnt rugby by far your number one sport? Something like Cape Town stadium but around 60 000 seater?
3 words

Stadium New Zealand

Would've been so nice to have it built but alas, NZ and it's famous lack of forward thinking prevailed.

"Stadium New Zealand, often called the Waterfront Stadium, was the provisional name for a national stadium proposed for Auckland's waterfront to host the 2011 Rugby World Cup. The stadium never advanced beyond a concept design.

The possible choice of the location for the stadium was widely contested in politics and public opinion. The potential effects on the amenity of the waterfront and port operations, the high costs of construction as well as criticism of political interference in the decision-making process led to conflicting decisions by local bodies and abandonment of the proposal in late November 2006."

spotila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:55 AM   #57
seaphorm
returning videotapes

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotila View Post
3 words

Stadium New Zealand

Would've been so nice to have it built but alas, NZ and it's famous lack of forward thinking prevailed.

"Stadium New Zealand, often called the Waterfront Stadium, was the provisional name for a national stadium proposed for Auckland's waterfront to host the 2011 Rugby World Cup. The stadium never advanced beyond a concept design.

The possible choice of the location for the stadium was widely contested in politics and public opinion. The potential effects on the amenity of the waterfront and port operations, the high costs of construction as well as criticism of political interference in the decision-making process led to conflicting decisions by local bodies and abandonment of the proposal in late November 2006."

i guess people forget that new zealand is a nation of barely much more than 4 million people. it might be excellent to have a brand new national stadium... but i can see with hindsight that it was probably a wiser decision to go with improving eden park which has in effect been a national stadium anyhow - especially considering there was already shortfalls in funding and a global financial crisis right when these projects had to begin construction.

unlike say china or greece with the olympics, it's an awful long way for fans to travel to new zealand for the tournament, so gate sales will not be nearly as important - and the exterior of venues will not be the same kind of show piece for the same reason.

and unlike south africa or australia new zealand doesn't have a significant domestic population to sell tickets to... we'll be relying on a much smaller number of foreign travellers to fill up our stadiums.

the most important audience for the tournament is the 3.5 - 4 billion people who're going to watch on tv. they won't be seeing much of the outside of the stadium or the facilities.. and wellington, christchurch and hamilton's stadiums look excellent on tv.. i think auckland and dunedins stadiums will be no different.
seaphorm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 03:57 AM   #58
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanSA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaphorm View Post
i guess people forget that new zealand is a nation of barely much more than 4 million people. it might be excellent to have a brand new national stadium... but i can see with hindsight that it was probably a wiser decision to go with improving eden park which has in effect been a national stadium anyhow - especially considering there was already shortfalls in funding and a global financial crisis right when these projects had to begin construction.

unlike say china or greece with the olympics, it's an awful long way for fans to travel to new zealand for the tournament, so gate sales will not be nearly as important - and the exterior of venues will not be the same kind of show piece for the same reason.

and unlike south africa or australia new zealand doesn't have a significant domestic population to sell tickets to... we'll be relying on a much smaller number of foreign travellers to fill up our stadiums.

the most important audience for the tournament is the 3.5 - 4 billion people who're going to watch on tv. they won't be seeing much of the outside of the stadium or the facilities.. and wellington, christchurch and hamilton's stadiums look excellent on tv.. i think auckland and dunedins stadiums will be no different.
I have to fully agree, although Eden Park isn't the most amazing looking stadium it is still a HUGE improvement on what we had. Besides that, how many hours does one spend in the stadium - 4 hours at most ? ... we also forget that we are the architecture buffs, most of the people coming to watch the games couldn't give a toss about the architecture, they want to be able to get to the game, watch it and then have a huge choice of party venues - that in itself far outweighs the aesthetics of a stadium.

The ripple effect from the Rugby World Cup is huge for Auckland - I can't even begin to make a list of all the projects taking place as I type this (these projects will make people sit up and admire the city - it is these projects that really count) ....

Streets upgrades (converted into shared spaces) across central Auckland.
A hideous wharf on the waterfront has been opened up for the public to use and will be converted into a fan park (later plans envisage a new cruise liner terminal)
Public transport improvements - new train stations and upgraded train stations
Village (suburban) town centres being upgraded
Aotea Square upgrade (another fan park)
The creation of a new waterfront - Sea+City (another fan park)
Improved road networks
Auckland Art Gallery upgrade and extension

etc. etc. etc. .... to the person who thinks that the aesthetics of a stadium is the alpha and the omega of a huge sporting event is sorely mistaken, detached from reality and living under a rock.

Last edited by SYDNEY; May 19th, 2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:03 AM   #59
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

$40m cup ticket sales in six hours
NZ HERALD
4:00 AM Wednesday Apr 28, 2010

Fans here and abroad snaffled 90,000 Rugby World Cup match tickets in the first six hours of sale yesterday. Five hundred days before the World Cup kicks off, fans got the first chance to buy venue and team pool packs online. And once they started buying, they really started buying. The bumper sales mean next year's competition - with sales worth $40 million so far - has already outgrossed the 2005 Lions tour, Rugby World Cup spokesman Mike Jaspers said yesterday. Pack applications were released to members of the New Zealand rugby community last week, and they will be given first priority when the applications are processed.

A third of the publicly-available packs have been set aside for New Zealand players, game officials and administrators. Mr Jaspers told the Herald demand had been strong since sales opened at 9am. About 25,000 applications for venue or team packs were received when sales began yesterday morning. More than 50,000 fans from more than 100 countries pre-registered to apply for venue and team pool packs following the launch of the ticketing programme on March 30.

About 20,000 overseas fans make up the 50,000 registrations, including rugby fans resident in Barbados, Botswana, China, Colombia, Egypt, Estonia, Iceland, Mongolia, Mauritius, Norway, Puerto Rico and Qatar. The bulk of fans outside New Zealand come from the UK, Australia, Ireland, France, the US, South Africa and Canada. About 85,000 tickets have been sold in official travel packages, with one English travel agent reporting sales nearly 40 per cent up on those over the same period for the Rugby World Cup 2007 in France.

Meanwhile, the Rugby World Cup went on display at Wellington train station where fans got the chance to take a close look at rugby's ultimate prize. The gold Webb Ellis Cup was put up at the train station foyer to mark 500 days until the tournament kicks off in New Zealand, and the first day of ticket sales. Selected fans were also clad in jerseys of the 18 official Rugby World Cup team jerseys and posed for an official photo. Rugby World Cup Minister Murray McCully also hosted a "500-days-out" celebration in Parliament's Grand Hall last night.
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:07 AM   #60
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

Cruise ships to cater for rugby fans
NZ HERALD
4:00 AM Saturday Apr 24, 2010

Three ships will accommodate almost 5500 of the expected 85,000 visitors. Rugby fans will be able to celebrate at sea with plans to accommodate thousands of people on cruise ships during next year's Rugby World Cup. Tourism Auckland chief executive Graeme Osborne said three official cruise ships would berth in Auckland for the semifinals and final. "Of course having cruise ships berthed in the heart of the [central business district] will also add hugely to the buzz and vibrancy in Auckland during the event," Mr Osborne said.

The latest projections anticipated 85,000 visitors during the Rugby World Cup, with a maximum of 43,000 at any one time, which would be around the semifinals and final in Auckland, he said. "The problem is that no one is going to go and build a hotel on the basis of a big event which is going to come and go and so therefore the cruise ships, to us anyway, represent a really sensible and quite innovative solution to the accommodation pressure."

Rhapsody of the Seas, MS Volendam and Pacific Dawn could cater for nearly 5500 people with cruise packages targeted at rugby fans, including tickets, transfers and hospitality. "The good thing about the cruise ships is that they solve the problem of accommodation and they also solve the problem of transportation," Mr Osborne said. "We'll be working alongside the official travel agents to encourage these visitors to enjoy the rugby as well as the diverse activities and experiences that Auckland has to offer." The ships would call at several ports around the country, and make mid-week visits to places like the Bay of Islands, he said. Tourism Auckland said 105,000 people visited Auckland during the 2009 cruise season, with bookings for 2011/12 suggesting about 180,000 international visitors.

Tags
new zealand