search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Florida

Florida Welcome to the sunshine state!

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #1
Lakelander

Likes (Received): 1251

Jacksonville Skyway on fire

Evidently, there was an electrical fire last night at the Southbank's Riverplace skyway station.

Quote:
Skyway fire halts service

The charred and gutted awning atop the JTA Skyway Express station at 1400 Riverplace Blvd. was visible Thursday morning after a fire broke out at the Southbank station around 11 p.m. the day before.

The station and the nearby Kings Road stop have been closed until an investigation and repairs are done, but shuttle bus service will be provided.
http://www.jacksonville.com/news/met..._halts_service

Here are a few images sent to MetroJacksonville.com. They were taken from the San Marco Place condo tower.

Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #2
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

Wow, that is too bad. At least no one was hurt. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Steve
Old March 12th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #3
Jan Del Castillo

Location: Santa Marta, D.T.C.H. - Bogotá, D.C. - Cancun - Sao Paulo - Rio de Janeiro - San Juan - Panamá - MIA
Likes (Received): 748

Someone knows how much time will be off service the station?? Regards from Colombia.
Jan Del Castillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #4
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

I do not believe that a estimated time has been given yet. However, I would guess at least a few months. The investigation will take a few weeks, and the repair/bid for repairs will take another month or so...so my guess would be about 3-4 months for a total repair - but mine is a total un-educated guess.

Steve
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #5
Lakelander

No word yet. As of right now, trains are stopping at the San Marco station, which is about four blocks west of this one.
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #6
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 2816

the fire looks bad at least it didn't affect the entire system.
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #7
Panama_Post
The Big Boss

Likes (Received): 32

oh,
Panama_Post no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #8
Lakelander

Riverplace Station remains closed, but service has been restored to the Kings Avenue Station endpoint on the Southbank.

Quote:
Southbank Skyway service restored to Kings Avenue Station

04/16/2009

by Max Marbut

Staff Writer

People who park at the Kings Avenue Garage and use the Skyway to get to work got some good news this week when service to the southernmost stop was restored.

A March 11 fire destroyed much of the roof over the platform and damaged the elevator and escalator at Riverplace Boulevard Station. As soon as the preliminary fire investigation and damage assessment was complete the process of demolishing the structure was begun.

JTA provided a shuttle bus that served the Kings Avenue to Central Station (near the AT&T Building and the Omni Hotel) route, so people who pay monthly for parking on the Southbank could still get to work on the Northbank.

While the cause of the fire has not yet been determined, JTA spokesperson Mike Miller said it was most likely an electrical malfunction.

Eventually the station will be returned to service and will be designed to match the previous station, but that may be a while.

“It’s not even out for bid yet, so we don’t have a date when Riverplace will reopen,” said Miller.

Miller also said less flammable materials than were originally used will be specified in the bid package for the new platform cover.

At least one person who leaves his vehicle on the Southbank and works on the Northbank is taking the inconvenience in stride. Richard Thalleen has been parking at Kings Avenue, riding the elevated electric train to Central Station and then walking about three blocks to his office at Independent Square for the past four years. He said the shuttle buses that ran after the fire didn’t keep a very consistent schedule, so he found a new place to park near the San Marco Skyway Station.

“I’m parking about two blocks further away from the Skyway now than I was at Kings Avenue, but my doctor has been telling me I need to walk more. Now I do,” said Thalleen.
http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showst...Story_id=52191