daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #21
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 428

The Cape is the best place I've lived in anywhere in the world (it is just my humble opinion though). I've been and lived in numerous places, and some parts of this planet of ours is awesome. But, I love the lifestyle and the beauty of the southern tip of South Africa.

And, because you've all been so awesome in your comments and posts... here are some more pics, from the country to the city, from roads to high-rises to houses! Enjoy...

Still, all taken within an hour to hour-half's drive from Cape Town.

Klapmuts Hill and surrounding winelands just east of Cape Town at Stellenbosch

The N2 highway leading into Cape Town's eastern suburbs from Sir Lowry's Pass

Atlantic Seaboard suburb of Clifton, very very expensive!

Houses between suburbs Clifton and Camps Bay

Close up of Cape Town's CBD buldings

View over the Worcester Lake behind the Mountain Mill Shopping Centre, in town of Worcester 100km north-east of Cape Town

Gorgeous winelands town of Stellenbosch, 50km east of Cape Town

Cape Town's west coast suburbs at sunset...

...and the view to Cape Town and Table Mountain from these suburbs...

Evening view from Bishops Court, C.T. southern suburbs

Cape's home of rugby, Newlands! One of the Cape's passions, the Springboks.

View across Table Bay looking at Lion's Head and Sea Point

...and looking at the CBD...

N1 freeway through Paarl, 55km east of Cape Town

Overberg region, 100km south-east of Cape Town in it's glorious green spring colours.
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #22
Aaron W

Likes (Received): 69

I really hope to visit there in the future. Cape Town just looks simply spectacular!
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #23
annman
Annman

Some Facts

Yeah, so Cape Town's closest neighbour overseas is Antarctica, so many people don't know a hell of a lot about us (we're bloody far away), so here are some facts.

Population
Approaching 3.3million for the Cape Town Metropole. Majority of residents are Coloured (or as people overseas may call mixed-race, but they're their own cultural group in their own right). Following close behind is White and Black-African (primarily Xhosa) of similar population. Cape Town is the only sub-Saharan African city with no clear dominant majority race group. Cape Town has a significant minority Muslim population.

Language
Most understood language is English, followed by Afrikaans (however the majority mother tongue speakers are Afrikaans). Afrikaans is in the overwhelming majority in rural towns. English is still widely spoken there too. Afrikaans is closely related to Dutch and Flemish. Xhosa is spoken by some 800,000 residents as their home language.

Climate
We are NOT tropical, as some northern hemisphere people may believe all of Africa is. We are Mediterranean, cool and wet from May-September, warm and dry from December-April. Summer maximums are usually 25-27 degrees, winter maximums usually 16-18 degrees. However, our weather is changeable extremely rapidly, Antarctic weather systems keep it so. Sometimes in February, temperatures can reach 35 or so degrees. In winter, some days during major storms can barely reach 10 degrees in the city, much colder inland. It does snow... every winter in the mountainous areas... it is not some strange phenomenon in the Western Cape. However, it does not snow near sea-level.

34ºSouth, 18ºEast, we are the southernmost major city in Africa and are 180km north-east of the southernmost point at Cape Agulhas. We are at a similar latitude to: Sydney, Buenos Aires, Auckland (inverted latitude: San Francisco, Casablanca, Athens, Tokyo). We are on Central African Time at GMT+2 and we have no daylight savings. We are too far west in our timezone, so we in effect have permanent DST. (Sunset summer: 20:01, sunset winter: 17:46)

Economy
We are not 3rd world. We have elements of it, but the city is definitely not defined or dominated by it. We do still have some poverty, but the government is working on it. Our major industries are retail-groups and insurance companies, wine-production, fruit export, petrochemical companies, publishing houses, call centres, creative industries (advertising/architecture/graphic-houses/modeling agencies/film), textiles, tourism of course, conferencing.

If you want to know anymore feel free to simply ask!

Last edited by annman; March 14th, 2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old March 15th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #24
annman
Annman

Camps Bay Sunset

Hazy February sunset from a Camps Bay house!

Old March 15th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #25
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 202

Very nice pictures. And I like that it has some Dutch influences (like the language and street names).
Old March 15th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #26
annman
Annman

Some influence? You may be happy to know, the city was established completely and solely by the Dutch. With streets like Stand, Heerengracht, Buitengracht, Buitensingel, Lang, Loop, Waterkant, Riebeek... could only be the "Nederlanders" that ran the V.O.C.!
Old March 15th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #27
Mr_Dru

Likes (Received): 547

I love Capetown. I've did a traineecourse for 4 months. Nice city with nice people. I've been to other cities in SA like Durban and Joburg, but Capetown is one of the best cities in the world. I was also suprised that I could communicate in Dutch with Afrikaansspeaker and that was verry funny but also interesting. Also the Westkaap area has a lot to offer. Some areas like Stellenbosch or Paarl looks like you are in France. I cant wait to go back next year and support my team Holland in 2010!
Mr_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #28
FromJoanne

Likes (Received): 0

Oh fantastic and fabulous photos Anman thank you for sharing them I really enjoyed seeeing your takes I just found this thread still finding my way around this huge forum I agree with you about Cape Town I have lived in so many countries/cities seen a good chuck of this beautiful world but Cape Town is hard to beat and your photos are prove of it
If you allow me to make a guest appearance in this thread I will show the world my 2010 Cape Town new stadium pix

Copyright: FomJoanne, All rights reserved
FromJoanne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #29
aspiringArchitect

Awesome! I soooo want to go South Africa!
aspiringArchitect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #30
annman
Annman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromJoanne View Post
Oh fantastic and fabulous photos Anman thank you for sharing them I really enjoyed seeeing your takes I just found this thread still finding my way around this huge forum I agree with you about Cape Town I have lived in so many countries/cities seen a good chuck of this beautiful world but Cape Town is hard to beat and your photos are prove of it
If you allow me to make a guest appearance in this thread I will show the world my 2010 Cape Town new stadium pix
Go for it Joanne. Show some of the stadium, seems we have some interested would be travelers on this forum for 2010.
Old March 15th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #31
ARTIFORT
PARISIAN

I had the opportunity to visit Cape Town for business and only stayed for 5 days. These photographs bring back some good and some not so good memories. I was mugged in the city centre on my first day there and my camera was stolen amongst other things therefore I don't have any photographs to share with you. What I find annoying is the fact that nobody warned me about the amount of poverty in this city and I was not aware that I can't walk around with my camera during the day. The people at the hotel saw me walk out with my camera around my neck and nobody said anything to me. I should have known when I saw all the security around and men with huge guns outside the banks but I travel a lot and this is the first time that I have encountered this problem. Cape Town is lucky to be in such a beautiful setting. I liked the mountains and I liked the villages in the wine-lands. I found the beaches to be very dirty, plastic bags in the sea while you swim and men urinating in the open.

Annman you say that the city isn't third world ? I have been to many places and Cape Town is a very third world the city. Leaving the airport you see kilometres of shanty towns (that is what you call it ?), very sad to see that after so many years of democracy the Government has done nothing to make right the problem. I was afraid to use the public transport, the buses look very old and very dangerous. The little buses (I am not sure what you call them) are crazy man ! Some of them are falling apart and they have black plastic bags for windows. How can that be allowed ? I decided to hire a car and got a big fright when you stop at the traffic lights and beggars poke their hands into your car and start swearing at you. Children as young as 7 years old are begging all over the city and they use such a disgusting language that I have ever heard. You can't walk around the city centre without beggars stopping you and abandoned children on the streets are like gangs. I went for a walk along the foreshore in the middle of the day and I saw a woman giving a man oral sex on the rocks right by the footpath. Children also walk there and I also saw loads of condoms lying everywhere. Are there not cleaning services or laws against this ?

I was told to go for a walk along the twelve apostles because I love wild nature, four men came and I was mugged again. Luckily I didn't have much on me but they even took my shoes and they were very violent. Luckily there were voices not so far away and they ran away. As a lover of the urban environment and how cities function, I was very surprised to see that a city of more than 3 million people doesn't have much of a skyline or very tall buildings. The city centre is also very, very small. A local that I was working with there said that Capetonians prefer shopping malls because it is safer. I also noticed that there is no vibrancy in the city streets, it is very quiet and the city closes down at 5 pm. Where are all the people ? Your photos show this. Also I noticed the city's fascination with old European architecture. It is not good for tourists like my, I expected to see something more African in flavour. There is one area with a big shopping centre that looks like something from the Renaissance days, Brunelleschi and Palladio will turn in their graves. I felt like I was in Disneyland I find it strange because Cape Town has a very rich history and there must be ways to translate that heritage into something African and contemporary.

There is also no evidence of racial integration. The no evidence of the so called rainbow nation. I spoke to the people at the Company that I was contracted with and many people are very unhappy in South Africa and are planning to go to other Countries like Australia, Canada and New Zealand. They are very sad to be leaving such a beautiful country but they don't see much of a future there. It also wasn't just white people, many half-breeds (I can't remember what you call them) are very unhappy with the situation there. Sorry, my English is not the best. One of the locals took me for a drive to the suburbs so that I can see how people live and he described it like prisons in your house. The walls are so high that I can't see the houses and they have electric fences, violent wire and other things. The houses that didn't have high walls have big thick bars on all the windows and the doors. it does look like prison cells. It is very sad.

Once again thank you for the photographs and I will follow your thread closely. Have a Goed day (sorry, I don't remember much afrikaans).
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:13 AM   #32
FromJoanne

Sorry I just started reading your long story and I am already stuck at this sentence

"What I find annoying is the fact that nobody warned me about the amount of poverty in this city and I was not aware that I can't walk around with my camera during the day"

What I find annoying...
Is that when people travel some are too lazy or not bothered to find out what their host country is going to be like
Especially with the internet at your fingertips ...I am sorry I feel no sympathy that you were not aware of poverty in South Africa It beggars believe but
I do feel sorry you were mugged

Ok I just read the rest of your story
I can taste anger in it ....
I have my thoughts about this but
all I will say is do your "homework" in future before you travel again my friend
Believe me ..much of what you relate here is applicable to many countries around the world
I love this city,warts and all. I dont know any other city i would rather live in
BTW I am a foreigner myself and only arrived here a couple of years ago

Old March 16th, 2009, 01:14 AM   #33
FromJoanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by annman View Post
Go for it Joanne. Show some of the stadium, seems we have some interested would be travelers on this forum for 2010.

Thank you Anman Tomorrow I will select some

Old March 16th, 2009, 03:09 AM   #34
schmidt

Likes (Received): 59

Artifort: Most of the countries in the world are not like (probably France, right?). The developed world is an exception, you guys are ony 1 billion agains other 5 billion living in developing nations. What you described unfortunately can be applied to some cities in Brazil too and in such places you gotta be careful, everyone is, it's how it works. I also agree with FromJoanne, you should do a little research on the countries you visit before you travel, but this should sound like an advice rather than a criticism.
schmidt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #35
annman
Annman

Wow Artifort... you are a cosmic target! I can understand why you sound so angry, but you seem to have been a victim of one thing and one thing only. Pure, ordinary damn bad luck! I've lived in South Africa since 1987, and I've only been the victim of crime once, when I was mugged in Stellenbosch, in the middle of the night, near a dodgy taxi rank. I've never been sworn at by a beggar, I've been at traffic lights and been solicited by hordes of informal traders and sellers, but they've never made me feel I was in personal danger.

You simply has a terrible experience, that's all. My brother for one, who lives here, has never been mugged or had anything stolen, first time it happened to him was on Eurotrip last year outside a club in Barcelona. Shit happens, here, in Europe, S.America or USA!

But, when it comes to the people telling you about immigrating. Generally South Africans are not very appreciative of their country, until they leave it. They generally have some psyche-block when it comes to seeing the good in SA. Then, they leave to Europe, UK, Australia or USA, realise the real world isn't the romanticised version they always see, then many return to South Africa. You met some very negative people. Most I know love Cape Town and many others love the rest of South Africa. As I said, you had a very negative experience.

I went to Paris and say Paris through the eyes of Parisians... I loved the city, however I know many people who hate Paris and say it's pompous, the people are rude, there's grafitti everywhere, dog poo on sidewalks etc. etc. But, I did not see just that, I thought the city was spectacular... just shows how frame of reference is what creates perception.

On the "where's the Africa," "where's the integration!" The African architecture comment has NO bearing on Cape Town. Read our history... as a city, we were established primarily by the Dutch! Then followed by the French Huguenots then the British. Africans in the bantu sense only started becoming a major minority in Cape Town in the 1970's. Our heritage is the architecture you saw... it looks European because the city is just that, Africanising our buildings would be creating the Disney factor, because then we're catering to "what the unread tourist expects.". If you want "African" you have to venture further north.

People are very quick to point fingers at South Africa when nationalistic tendencies and resentment towards foreigners reaches all-time highs in Europe. No country is perfect and few to no country/ies displays absolute perfect integration. South Africa is, and I will only say it once, "A young democracy." How long has western Europe been integrated, yet tensions towards Algerians, Moroccans, Turkish, even Eastern European immigrants remains high. South Africa has a long way to go and we in a global sense are progressing at lightning speed... give us more than since 1994 to fix centuries of issues!

That's my answer. I really hope you have better experiences in your future travels.
Cheers

Last edited by annman; March 16th, 2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #36
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by annman View Post
This photo reminds me of the beautiful Western Cape scenery that I saw during my train journey to Cape Town international Jaz Festival in 2007.
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #37
annman
Annman

Bring the Good Back

To get this thread back in the positive... more pics!!!

Cape Town at night from Bloubergstrand... spot the Southern Cross constellation!

Same place... a bit more daylight... just before total dark.

Historic little suburb of Little Chelsea in Wynberg...

View from the Seidelberg Wine Estate, just outside Paarl (50km from Cape Town)
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:25 AM   #38
FromJoanne

The photos I am showing here are all from Green Point Common area
the location where the new 2010 Green Point Stadium is being build
to be ready end 2009
I took this shot of part of the Common from the top of Signal Hill

image hosted on flickr

Green Point has been called the Soho of Cape Town, with its funky restaurants and busy nightclubs, the place has an energy all of its own. Its all about location, location.
Wedged between Table Bay, Signal Hill, Sea Point, the V&A Waterfront and the city centre, this little village is in the middle of all the local action, it’s so central, there is a lot to see and do in the area.

image hosted on flickr

Take a long walk along the promenade right next to the Atlantic Ocean;

image hosted on flickr

or pop into the flea market next to Green Point Stadium (every Sunday) where you can pick up great curios from around the African continent.

image hosted on flickr

Visit Green Point lighthouse, the oldest lighthouse in South Africa, which dates back to 1824.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

the sunsets are stunningly beautiful

image hosted on flickr

Every evening I have my camera ready to shoot because no sunset is the same

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The building with the blue lights is called the Ritz hotel and although its only 3 star its fantasic value for money it has also the only revolving restaurant in Cape Town and if you read the reviews here
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...tern_Cape.html
you will see that people are very happy with their stay and the superb location

image hosted on flickr

The tiny island in the distance with the red light is Robben island

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

There is big excitement around Green Point Stadium, which is getting ready to host the 2010 FIFA Soccer World Cup. Upon completion, this stadium will have a seating capacity of 70 000.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

2010 World Cup is going to be the mother of all parties I am looking forward to it

Old March 17th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #39
jbkayaker12
BANNED

Likes (Received): 39

Nice city and very similar mountain peaks with that of Vegas. We also have Table Mountain in Vegas. I've met a South African of Dutch descent many years back, a nice guy. Too bad it is costly and takes a long time to fly to South Africa , I would love to visit it.
jbkayaker12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #40
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Likes (Received): 123

Nice photos Joanne.

Tags
cape town, western cape