daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18133

Minimum Speed

Interstate highway needs minimum speed, legislator says
12 January 2007

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) - North Dakota's interstate highways have a 75 mph speed limit but no minimum speed, which creates dangers of its own, a state legislator says.

Rep. Ed Gruchalla, D-Fargo, asked the North Dakota House's Transportation Committee to endorse legislation he is sponsoring to set a 40 mph minimum speed on interstates.

The change would make it illegal for bicycles and low-speed vehicles to travel on the interstates, said Gruchalla, a Transportation Committee member who is a former North Dakota highway patrolman.

During a hearing Friday, Gruchalla said the measure may have to be changed to ensure no one is ticketed for driving less than 40 mph during poor weather. The committee did not immediately make a recommendation on the bill.

The proposal carries a price tag. The state Department of Transportation estimated it would cost $500,000 to manufacture and post signs advertising the minimum limit.

Gruchalla is sponsoring a separate bill to raise state fines for speeding and other traffic violations, which garnered him some good-natured needling during Friday's hearing.

"I can't figure out whether you're trying to speed us up or slow us down," said Rep. Dan Ruby, R-Minot.

------

The bill is HB1114.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #2
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Here, a car must be able to reach 60km/h to enter a motorway. But for some years, a minimum speed of 30km/h was made, but they cancelled it because, on a lot of motorways, you must be happy to reach even 30km/h.

But there are some states which have minimum speed? I remember signs with MINIMUM 40 MPH MAXIMUM 80MPH or something like that.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #3
FallenGuard

Likes (Received): 0

Things like Bicycles and Tractors are allowed on High-Speed Streets there? Oi....

Other than that, a Minimum Speed always reminds me of Fahrenheit 451, where you have to drive fast so you don't have time to think....
FallenGuard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #4
Naga_Solidus

Likes (Received): 3

It's about time they did this.

They should also get rid of daytime speed limits on most interstates (except for urban areas due to ramp frequency). This way, there won't be any sort of forbidden fruit of driving, i.e. a posted speed mark for insecure ppl to exceed. Without upper speed limits, ppl are more likely to drive at whatever speed above the minimum they feel comfortable with (without impeding the flow of traffic), since they won't feel compelled to drive at any given speed, nor will they feel frusstrated when they're limited to 70/75/80 when there's no traffic anywhere, no at-grade intersections, or significant chance of a head-on collision (due to the presence of a physical divider).

They still need speed limits at nightime though, due to issues with reduced visibility.
Old January 15th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #5
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I must, say, the Maximum Speed in the US almost looks like a minimum speed. Man 70MPH on a deserted interstate in the desert, is such a booooring speed...
Old January 15th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #6
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

in Ontario the theoretical minimum speed limit is 1 km/h below the max based on weather. so if it a nice bright sunny dry perfect day you could theoretically get a ticket for driving to slow if you are doing 75km/h in an 80 km/h zone and there is traffic behind you.
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 01:16 AM   #7
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
I must, say, the Maximum Speed in the US almost looks like a minimum speed. Man 70MPH on a deserted interstate in the desert, is such a booooring speed...

I agree. When I'm driving across Texas doing 70 feels like I can get out and walk. I generally do 80-90 and slow down to 70mph if I see a State Trooper or some local hick police officer around the corner. One thing that's really good is that they raised the speed limit to 75 on lots of highways in West Texas and up to 80 on Interstate 10 and 20 out in West Texas.

I think 85 would be a perfect speed limit for all rural Interstates in the U.S. If I were running things I'd make it 85 in the country and 75 in the city. A minimum of 55 in the city and 65 in the country would be nice as well.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #8
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
A minimum of 55 in the city and 65 in the country would be nice as well.
That would be difficult in Europe. Max speed for trucks is only 80km/h (50MPH) in some countries (some have 90km/h as max for trucks)
Old January 17th, 2007, 06:59 AM   #9
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

drove 70 km to work every day during the summer. Mutually agreed upon minimum speed on highways, 135km/h (left lane), 120km/h (mid lane), 100km/h (right).

we don't need minimum speeds, the drivers set them anyways. We just need cops to be more flexible
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #10
hkskyline
Hong Kong

I don't think the police enforce speed limits so tightly anyway. They let the minor infractions go and chase after the big speeders.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #11
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I don't think the police enforce speed limits so tightly anyway.
You obviously haven't been to the Netherlands. This looks like a police state from this view.

They have equipment, that they can measury every centimeter you drive too fast. If you pass a point, the equipment measures the time you need to get to the second point, if you get there too fast, you'll get a ticket.

And not to mention over 2000 fixed speed traps in our little country...
Old January 17th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #12
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

In Portugal the minimim speed for motorways is 50 km/h.

You can see a minimum (blue) and maximim(white with red rim) speed limits signs in my avatar!
Old January 18th, 2007, 02:38 AM   #13
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephasto View Post
In Portugal the minimim speed for motorways is 50 km/h.

You can see a minimum (blue) and maximim(white with red rim) speed limits signs in my avatar!
50km/h is too slow IMO. The minimum speed should be 65 mph IMO.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #14
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2648

If the max speed is 100 KM/h how you can ask MINIMUM speed of 104 KM/h? (65mph)

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 03:39 AM   #15
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Lol! Right!

The maximim is 100 in that specific streach, but it's 120 in general, in Portugal.... just like Spain.
As for the minimim, it's allways 50, in every motorway streaches.
Old January 18th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #16
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
You obviously haven't been to the Netherlands. This looks like a police state from this view.

They have equipment, that they can measury every centimeter you drive too fast. If you pass a point, the equipment measures the time you need to get to the second point, if you get there too fast, you'll get a ticket.

And not to mention over 2000 fixed speed traps in our little country...
I've seen photo radar machines before. The police are capable of detecting each and every single instance of someone going over the speed limit. But the logistics of capturing every one is not worth the hassle, hence they only pursue the worst offenders.

Old January 18th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #17
ChrisH

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
I've seen photo radar machines before. The police are capable of detecting each and every single instance of someone going over the speed limit. But the logistics of capturing every one is not worth the hassle, hence they only pursue the worst offenders.
You haven't driven much in Britain, have you? Something like half the driving population now has points on their licence because of all the speed cameras
ChrisH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #18
FallenGuard

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
They don't need to make much effort, the camera automatically reads out the License Plate, the ID is looked up in a Database, and the next Week you get an automatized Fine sent home.

That's why there have already been formed Groups who attack these cameras, they spray their Lenses or destroy them copmletely, etc...
FallenGuard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #19
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

They used to have them in Ontario, but the government got rid of them about 10 years ago because of public outcry
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #20
Onur
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

In Turkey;
max: 120km/h
min: 40km/h

low, eh...
Onur no está en línea   Reply With Quote