daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 27th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #181
acorn

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP View Post
Here's a map of the US speed limits(mph) by state as of 2002. Texas has raised their limit to 80mph on some roads since then.
A couple of little errors ;

Iowa , Kentucky( as of June 7 , 2007 ) & Indiana now have legally posted maximum limits of 70 mph . Oregan & Virgina have passed a 70 mph law but have not yet posted it . North Dakota has a maximum of 75 mph posted now also .

Several western US states ( Colorado , Wyoming , Utah , Montana , New Mexico & Nevada ) on rural stretches of interstates have a defacto/enforced daytime in good weather limits of 85 mph .

In Nebraska , Oklahoma ( 75 mph posted ) , Missouri , Tenn , Arkansas , Georgia , South Caroline , North Carolina & a few others that have a 70 mph max posted around 80 +- mph is the tipping point for a ticket or not .

Kansas which has 70 mph as the max posted 75 & above can get you nabbed .

Last edited by acorn; April 27th, 2007 at 02:23 AM.
acorn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2007, 12:31 AM   #182
pilotos
καταχωρημένος χρήστης

Likes (Received): 12

In Greece the speed limit on highways just got a 10km/h increase, from 120km/h to 130km/h for cars, and for trucks from 90 to 100 km/h.
pilotos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 01:09 AM   #183
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

75 mph should be on every non-urban freeway... That's only 120kmh.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:55 AM   #184
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Tell Oregon that. They can't seem to get past 65. 70 was approved, but for whatever reason, everything is still posted at 65, making Oregon the ONLY western state at that limit.

As an aside, try driving from Eastern Oregon into West Central Idaho. Same geography, same ruralness, same freeway, 10 MPH difference. Why???
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:31 AM   #185
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
What about 130 or 150km/h? Those roads could handle higher speeds.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #186
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn View Post
Several western US states ( Colorado , Wyoming , Utah , Montana , New Mexico & Nevada ) on rural stretches of interstates have a defacto/enforced daytime in good weather limits of 85 mph .
Can you clarify this? Is that a posted speed limit, implied speed limit or just an unofficial one that is not enforced by police?
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #187
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
What about 130 or 150km/h? Those roads could handle higher speeds.
I agree, but raising the general limit to 75mph should be a good first step.
Old April 29th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #188
acorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Can you clarify this? Is that a posted speed limit, implied speed limit or just an unofficial one that is not enforced by police?
All these are during the day & in good weather ,

On interstates Eastern Northern & Extreme Southern Colorado 85 mph is the normal tipping point for a ticket . A little slower between Denver & Pueblo ( low 80s mph ) with a couple of stretches where speeds of around 90 to 100 mph are common , 95 % of which is posted @ 75 mph .

There are sections of I-25 north of Denver where 90+ to 100 mph is the normal flow speed , posted @ 75 mph . The CHP makes it known that speeds below 90 mph are below the threshold of being pulled over on thi9s stretch of freeway . But they do use laser guns to focus on drivers following too close & failing to signal when changing lanes @ high speeds ( a 4 point violation ) .

In most western states you are much more likely to get a ticket for failing to signal when changing lanes or for following too close than for traveling 20 mph over the posted limit .

In Utah on southern sections on I-15 85 mph is also the tipping point . Interstates in most sections of rural New Mexico & Wyoming low 80s mph are ok .

Many rural section of Montana & Arizona interstates 85 mph is the normal flow speed .

These are the speeds where a judge will not dismiss so less than/below these mph numbers are pointless for the police to pull over . The cops know that a judge will throw the ticket out below these speeds in general .
Old April 29th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #189
Alex Von Königsberg

That's pretty cool. I wish they enforced turn signals in California too. I was pulled over four times on motorways (one time in ID and three times in CA) for speeding, and every time my speed was 130-140 km/h.
Old April 29th, 2007, 11:12 AM   #190
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Man they have over 1000 fixed speed traps over here, automatic ticket systems on motorways with a ridiculous speed limit of 50 MPH and a lot of random traps.

You'll even get a ticket if you drive 3 miles too fast...
Old April 29th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #191
acorn

Quote:
That's pretty cool. I wish they enforced turn signals in California too. I was pulled over four times on motorways (one time in ID and three times in CA) for speeding, and every time my speed was 130-140 km/h.
ID & CA both have split speed limits ( cars { CA-70 }{ ID-75 mph } trucks 55 or 65 mph ) which make getting pulled over much more likely @ higher speeds in a car . The states that generally allow higher flow speeds have the same limit for cars as they do for heavy trucks .

Montana (75 mph day & night for cars on freeways is posted ) & Texas (70 to 80 mph day cars - 65 mph night for all on all roads in the state is posted ) . Both have split speed limits for cars & trucks along with a day & night time limits . Their lax enforcement during the daymakes them exceptions to that rule as they pretty much let you drive as fast as you want to on many stretches of rural highways during the day . Night time however is a differnet story in both , so you had better obey the limit @ night if you want to avoid a ticket .
Old April 29th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #192
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

where i live in TN, the general rule is you can do 5 over the speed limit and you usually won't get pulled over. only time i've ever been pulled over for speeding was 73mph in a 55mph. but we do have traffic cameras all over the place in the city, if you do something wrong they'll mail you a ticket >_<
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #193
Geokioy

Likes (Received): 1

Greece:
In highways the maximum speed is 130 km/h (usually on signs the maximum written speed is 120 km/h or 100 km/h)
In roads out of towns and villages the maximum speed is 90 km/h.
In urbun areas the maximum speed is 50 km/h. However in avenues the maximum speed can be 70 or 90 km/h and in residential areas, near schools and playgrounds the maximum speed is 30 km/h.
Old April 29th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #194
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

Quote:
Don't you live in Northern California? I read that the police are more strict in enforcing the limit in those parts unlike Southern California.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 04:38 AM   #195
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Don't you live in Northern California? I read that the police are more strict in enforcing the limit in those parts unlike Southern California.
100% true. But at the same time, I noticed that drivers in Southern California (between LA and San Diego) are better than those from the North. The worst drivers I have ever observed can be found on I-80 between Sacramento and San Francisco.
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:53 PM   #196
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
100% true. But at the same time, I noticed that drivers in Southern California (between LA and San Diego) are better than those from the North. The worst drivers I have ever observed can be found on I-80 between Sacramento and San Francisco.
I find drivers in SoCal a lot more aggressive than those in NorCal.

Anyway, now bad are the drivers on I-80? I drove on it a few times to visit UC Davis, and I found it to be ok, except for the fact that people up there, like everywhere else, hogs their lanes the entire way through. There was no way you can exceed 70 because everyone holds the same speed through the whole way.

Then there's the speed freaks who endanger everyone and cut in and out of every lane...

Maybe I'm just used to shoddy drivers everyday I don't notice them anymore...

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:13 AM   #197
acorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
I find drivers in SoCal a lot more aggressive than those in NorCal.

Anyway, now bad are the drivers on I-80? I drove on it a few times to visit UC Davis, and I found it to be ok, except for the fact that people up there, like everywhere else, hogs their lanes the entire way through. There was no way you can exceed 70 because everyone holds the same speed through the whole way.

Then there's the speed freaks who endanger everyone and cut in and out of every lane...

Maybe I'm just used to shoddy drivers everyday I don't notice them anymore...

How about the fact that the lane hogs that block traffic are breaking the law ( slower traffic keep right ) leading to agressive driving from the frustration their dumb illegal actions cause .

They are the real a$$es that endanger all the other drivers on the road , not the drivers trying to deal with/ get around them .

In many states they would get a well deserved ticket for not keeping to the right as they are the slower traffic that must stay to the right . As their actions of blocking left lanes are illegal not allowing the faster traffic to pass . Not their job to try to enforce their will-( "I'm driving as fast as anyone should be ") on the rest of us

Last edited by acorn; May 2nd, 2007 at 12:31 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:09 AM   #198
Alex Von Königsberg

I always try to figure out the reasoning of left-lane hogs, but so far my attempts were futile. One middle-aged American lady was actually arguing that since she pays road taxes, they cannot prohibit her from driving in any lane she wishes Another man said that he felt safer and more relaxed driving in an extreme left lane slightly above the posted limit.

In Europe, Scandinavians seem to be the most relaxed drivers, and sometimes they are slow to yield. Eventually, they yield though. In California, some drivers can just keep on blocking the left lane for many many kilometres. I haven't noticed any corellation between the race, gender or age - anyone can be a hog here.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:16 AM   #199
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Interesting subject. In big metro areas the point is probably moot as all traffic is moving at about the same speed. But outside these areas, most drivers in the US will move over as common courtesy. In fact, being a left lane hog is probably a more aggressive move than passive. (Unless the driver is simply clueless). Yes, speed limits make sense, but those who try to slow down traffic on purpose are just creating more problems. (Seattle's I-5 between Mercer and Northgate will demonstrate this on a daily basis!)
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:20 AM   #200
Alex Von Königsberg

In Seattle, I would just enjoy the great view and wouldn't care about slow drivers