daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #221
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 750

I know of many sections of road where I really have to concentrate to keep to the limit as you have just described.
You could also wonder as to why there is such a low limit on the road. Is it because all the motorists using the road were driving safely and prudently? I think not. Just imagine how much public money could be saved and all the saved repairs to the underbodies of cars if they didn't need speed bumps? Why are there speed bumps everywhere in Holland? Because motorists won't stick to the limit. Cause and effect. If motorists can get out of the ''me, me'' attitude (I think it's safe. I can drive as fast as I like. It's your fault if you get in my way) then their wouldn't be a need for such measures. But motorists can't seem to help themselves so therefore you end up with low speed limits, speed cameras and speed bumps. Cause and effect, cause and effect....
KIWIKAAS está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #222
Urban Legend

Likes (Received): 2539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izumo View Post
that's what the taxidriver in the french movie taxi said too
i took it from there

Jerusalem City of gold

Tel Aviv- City That Never Sleeps

My pics on Panoramio
Urban Legend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #223
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
I know of many sections of road where I really have to concentrate to keep to the limit as you have just described.
You could also wonder as to why there is such a low limit on the road. Is it because all the motorists using the road were driving safely and prudently? I think not. Just imagine how much public money could be saved and all the saved repairs to the underbodies of cars if they didn't need speed bumps? Why are there speed bumps everywhere in Holland? Because motorists won't stick to the limit. Cause and effect. If motorists can get out of the ''me, me'' attitude (I think it's safe. I can drive as fast as I like. It's your fault if you get in my way) then their wouldn't be a need for such measures. But motorists can't seem to help themselves so therefore you end up with low speed limits, speed cameras and speed bumps. Cause and effect, cause and effect....
If you want people to follow the speed limit, you must set it at a reasonable number, like 130-140kmh for motorways.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:23 AM   #224
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 750

Depends on the motorway
KIWIKAAS está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #225
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Too bad we all don't live in Rural Germany near an Autobahn.
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #226
SmarterChild

Likes (Received): 0

If the speeds are reasonable. I hardly drive 110 kmh on rural motorways in the summer if the distances are long cause I dont intend to sit in the car all day.
SmarterChild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #227
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

Speed limits in Oklahoma where I live are 75/mph or 120/kmh on the rural toll roads, but most drive about 140/kmh to 145/kmh... I choose the latter
145/kmh
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #228
Æsahættr

Likes (Received): 5

Rural Expressways: 70-80mph (speed limit usually 65-70mph)
Urban Expressways: 60-75mph (speed limit usualy 55-60mph)

painfully slow.
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #229
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

In my city, yes, when i'm too lazy to look out for cops (Since there's practically no crime in our city, cops turn to giving traffic violations as their primary source of pastime)

But usually no, I drive about 10 mph (16 kph) faster than the speed limit in urban freeways and streets, and about 20-40 mph (32-64 kph) faster (traffic permitting) on rural roads.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #230
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

I don't want to get stressed by getting fines, so I mostly drive just around the speed limit (if possible). A single time about 130-140km/h, but not more (except in Germany).
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #231
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

There's a quite a few straight long streches of road where I live, dual carridgeways, no buidings Speed limit 50kmh. Most people drive there at 80-120 kmh.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #232
Euklidisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
If you want people to follow the speed limit, you must set it at a reasonable number, like 130-140kmh for motorways.
Why is it reasonable?
Euklidisk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 02:56 AM   #233
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10964

When the majority of traffic is travelling at 120-130km/h, it isn't safe to stay within a 100km/h speed limit. The result is that most traffic adjusts to the higher speed. On the 401 in Toronto, people pay zero attention to passing in the passing lane because there are up to 9 lanes. Everyone simply weaves any which way. Vastly different speeds on this highway is just too dangerous because you could have a car closing in on you from 4 lanes over. They might be moving 2 lanes over to the right at 130 while you are moving 2 lanes over to the left at 100. It's a recipe for high speed collision.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 04:05 AM   #234
Euklidisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
When the majority of traffic is travelling at 120-130km/h, it isn't safe to stay within a 100km/h speed limit. The result is that most traffic adjusts to the higher speed. On the 401 in Toronto, people pay zero attention to passing in the passing lane because there are up to 9 lanes. Everyone simply weaves any which way. Vastly different speeds on this highway is just too dangerous because you could have a car closing in on you from 4 lanes over. They might be moving 2 lanes over to the right at 130 while you are moving 2 lanes over to the left at 100. It's a recipe for high speed collision.
Why then have speed limits at all if the majorty speed is the safest. Mabye the majorty has wrong
Old August 21st, 2007, 06:26 AM   #235
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euklidisk View Post
Why is it reasonable?
1.Its a speed that most people are comfortable driving and also more satisfying for them
2.Studies shows that today's motorways can support high speeds than posted limits.
3.Current limits(at least in US and other Anglo countries) is rather low for today's cars.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:08 PM   #236
Euklidisk

Quote:
1.Its a speed that most people are comfortable driving and also more satisfying for them
2.Studies shows that today's motorways can support high speeds than posted limits.
Mabye so. I think it's all about how severe accidents we can accept. Does the benefits from reduced travell times compensate for higher cost in health care and pollution.

Quote:
3.Current limits(at least in US and other Anglo countries) is rather low for today's cars.
But what about our power of reaction, has it changed?
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:20 PM   #237
SmarterChild

Isn't it true that the speed limit-less german autobahn is one of the safest road networks in the world?
SmarterChild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 01:46 PM   #238
khoojyh
No more world war !!!

Location: Eastern Garden,City of Twins, Merlion City, Good Little Bay
Likes (Received): 51

frankly, if the road condition and traffic flow allow me to drive fast, i am always drive over the speed limit. hehe....
khoojyh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 05:33 PM   #239
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10378

Well around here...

The speed limits on highways are usually between 55-65 mph (~90-110 km/h), but people usually drive around 100-130 km/h instead. You will RARELY find Hartford Police patrolling the highways because they have more important things to do (high crime rate). In the suburban and rural areas though, you have to watch yourself, because state police is always around to fill their quotas.

I usually drive a little bit faster than the speed limit...usually around 10 km/h more.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 06:12 PM   #240
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmarterChild View Post
Isn't it true that the speed limit-less german autobahn is one of the safest road networks in the world?
Jep.

But i think North Korea is the safest in the world, since nobody has a car.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote