daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 22nd, 2007, 05:38 PM   #261
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
I don't like such a police state, Police should give crime priority, not speed enforcement. Which won't say i am totally oppose speed enforcement, but they only are checking the speed on easy cash points, instead near schools, dangerous crossings etc.
I most certainly disapprove of a police state, but out on the road, they can make a life-or-death difference. Particularly when the road isn't really up to the task of transporting the number of vehichles it actually carries - it only looks good. It is, of course, important to have them patrol the roads instead of checking "easy cash points".

I think it is important for everyone to realise that driving is a serious danger. On Norwegian roads - among the safest in the world - road fatalities are down to the lowest level since the early 60s. Still, more than 250 people die every year in a country of 4.6 million... Therefore, I think we need to accept limitations to our free driving experience, at least until roads are much safer than they currently are. One problem is that we don't: Even up here, where just 11-15 over the limit in 70+ zones will set you back 300 euros (even on motorways - I kid you not), most people speed. That goes for me as well: where the limit is 80, 90 or 100 kph, I'm 10-20 above it as long as it's possible. At least. And I think most people would consider me anything but a reckless driver.

This is, of course not, an exclusively Norwegian phenomenon. But with our restrictive speed limits, the problem of high speed on 2-lane highways is slightly smaller than in many other countries: you might brake hard enough to save your life in a head-on collision doing 80 or 90, it is rather unlikely you'll pull the same thing off if you're doing 120.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2007, 06:44 PM   #262
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

I rather accept a certain risk when driving instead of drastric and massive speedlowering. Accidents just do happen, even with lower limits, and while traffic amounts are higher as never before, at the same time, the traffic deaths is as low as never before. (except when there were no cars ofcourse )
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:01 PM   #263
ElviS77

Quote:
I rather accept a certain risk when driving instead of drastric and massive speedlowering. Accidents just do happen, even with lower limits, and while traffic amounts are higher as never before, at the same time, the traffic deaths is as low as never before. (except when there were no cars ofcourse )
I'm not suggesting any drastic measures, I'm merely saying that one should reconsider the higher (100 kph +) limits on busy 2-lane highways. Then, one should start building central barriers on existing roads or - better - proper 4-lane roads. Sure, accidents do happen and will continue to happen, but if one has to choose between high-speed driving and keeping people alive, the choice should be obvious.

It is crucial to keep road safety as a main focus. Improved roads, seat belt laws and generally safer cars are the main reasons why traffic deaths are at a record low. This would not have happened without strict political measures. Seat belts were cursed by the general public when they were introduced, today, they are the single most important factor in keeping numbers of fatal accidents low.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:29 PM   #264
SmarterChild

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
I'm not suggesting any drastic measures, I'm merely saying that one should reconsider the higher (100 kph +) limits on busy 2-lane highways. Then, one should start building central barriers on existing roads or - better - proper 4-lane roads. Sure, accidents do happen and will continue to happen, but if one has to choose between high-speed driving and keeping people alive, the choice should be obvious.
I agree, but then one should also reconsider the low speeds on less busy roads... esp motorways, yeah?
SmarterChild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 09:17 PM   #265
ElviS77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmarterChild View Post
I agree, but then one should also reconsider the low speeds on less busy roads... esp motorways, yeah?
To some extent, most certainly. As indicated earlier, 120-130 kph would be sensible motorway speed limits, some roads might even tolerate even higher speeds. I accept lower limits on urban stretches, but 70 - which is found on motorways in Norway and Sweden, for instance - is ridiculous.

I think the Danes have got it pretty much spot on: 50 kph in urban areas (70 on some multilane roads, 30 in residential areas), 80 on highways, 90 on some 2-lane expressways and 130 on motorways (110 in places). Such speed limits reflect the actual dangers and capabilities of different road designs and that may again influence the drivers' attitudes.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 10:16 PM   #266
ChrisZwolle
Road user

the Netherlands recently added another speed limit. We have;

30 -> residential streets (however more and more arterials in residential areas become 30)
50 -> within city limits unless posted otherwise
60 -> rural roads with no great traffic function. Usually very quite roads with a limited width. space between road markings is 4,5m, making it impossible to pass unless driving over the markings, whole road width; 6,5m.
70 -> usually on 2x2 urban roads, sometimes also on onelaned roads with seperated bicycle lanes and footpaths, and limited crossings.
80 -> all roads outside city limits, unless posted otherwise (60 or 100), usually the major roads owned by the Province.
100 -> these are more rare. Usually 2laned roads, usually with grade-seperation crossings. Lane width usually the same as motorways, but no barriers or emergency lanes.
120 -> maximum speed on motorways

Motorways are also containing the following speed limits;
120 -> rural motorways without much traffic jams
100 -> urban motorways, but sometimes also busy rural motorways
80 -> some urban motorways, speed limit enforced by long distance speed checkings.

When there is construction along the motorway, the following speed limits can be found, depending on the kind of construction and distance; 50/70/90.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:24 AM   #267
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

In addition to that: 30, 60 and 70 limits are always signed. 50, 80, 100 and 120km/h are the standard limits (which are shown for instance at the border line).
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:31 AM   #268
ChrisZwolle
Road user

100 is only signed on motorways. 100 on motor roads comes with the sign motorroad.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:42 AM   #269
Jeroen669

Indeed, and I thought we were also the only country with a different speed limit on motorroads. Unfortunately not everybody (even dutch people) know that you can drive 100km/h on these roads (even if there's only 1 lane in each direction).
Old August 23rd, 2007, 03:32 PM   #270
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

The speed limt on these roads is 50!
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 04:39 PM   #271
Mr. Maciek

I think by far that Australia have the most strict road rules in the world, if u exceed the speed limit by even 3kmp/h u are slapped with a $150 fine and you lose 3 demerit points (in Victoria atleast). the faster you exceed it by the more the fine is.. if its exceeded by over 45kmp/h its a on the spot loss of licence and a massive fine and you get your car confiscated under new anti-hoon legislation. where there are no speed signs in urban areas the speed limit is 50kmp/h and other urban roads vary from 60-80kmp/h and freeways or motorways it is generally 90-100kmp/h, maximum speed in rural roads is 110 kmp/h. the rules are somewhat rediculous but i suppose we have a very good road toll to show for it because most do respect the speed limits bacause of the hefty penalties.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 04:55 PM   #272
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 750

Sounds pretty normal. I think most (developed) countries will revoke your license if you go 45-50kph over the limit.
KIWIKAAS está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:03 PM   #273
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maciek View Post
I think by far that Australia have the most strict road rules in the world, if u exceed the speed limit by even 3kmp/h u are slapped with a $150 fine and you lose 3 demerit points (in Victoria atleast). the faster you exceed it by the more the fine is.. if its exceeded by over 45kmp/h its a on the spot loss of licence and a massive fine and you get your car confiscated under new anti-hoon legislation. where there are no speed signs in urban areas the speed limit is 50kmp/h and other urban roads vary from 60-80kmp/h and freeways or motorways it is generally 90-100kmp/h, maximum speed in rural roads is 110 kmp/h. the rules are somewhat rediculous but i suppose we have a very good road toll to show for it because most do respect the speed limits bacause of the hefty penalties.
The enforcement does sound ridiculous, but the speed limits are actually higher than in California, where urban roads are 40kmh if there are no posted limits.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:12 PM   #274
ElviS77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maciek View Post
Harsh, but still nothing near Norway... on 70-100 kph roads you'll lose your licence going 36 above the limit, on 30-60 it's gone doing 26 above. +1-5 will set you back 80 euros, 6-10 cost 200, 11-15 is 350-380, 16-20 480-520, 21-25 600-800, 26-30 on 70+ roads is 800, whereas 31-35 will set you back a full 1000 euros...
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:27 PM   #275
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

To the guy up there, the speed limit on this road are 35mph (56kph)!

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 08:33 PM   #276
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

it should be atleast 40 mph if not 50mph!
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:33 PM   #277
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Parked cars shouldn't belong on 50MPH roads.

In the Netherlands, there are no 2x2 roads without median being build. However, in other countries, it's pretty normal, but our country is a bit overreacting in traffic safety sometimes.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:33 PM   #278
kanwarjot

300+ speed..what the hell...i cant even dream of crossing 100 here on Indian Roads...

by the way do u need any aeroplanes for traveling to any place[]
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:00 PM   #279
Jeroen669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
In the Netherlands, there are no 2x2 roads without median being build.
That's not true. There are quite some urban roads with 2X2 without median.
Old August 24th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #280
Velkan

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
I drive a reasonable speed that comforts with how the road looks. So generally 10 - 20km/h faster than the speed limit.
Exactly
Velkan no está en línea   Reply With Quote