daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #281
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Parked cars shouldn't belong on 50MPH roads.

In the Netherlands, there are no 2x2 roads without median being build. However, in other countries, it's pretty normal, but our country is a bit overreacting in traffic safety sometimes.
Hehe, if that's true, it's interesting, because pretty much all of the main streets here in Toronto are 2x2 or 3x3 (the street I live on is 3x3), and there is no median.

However, instead it is common here (and in many other North American cities) to have a very wide yellow-marked traffic island running the whole length of the road and being as wide as a whole traffic lane in the middle. These are called "simultaneous left turn" lanes, and cars from both directions can use them to turn left, and also when you are turning from a small side-street onto the main road without a traffic light, you can first turn onto this lane when the way from the left is clear, and then merge onto the normal lane, because turning left on a 3x3 road without a traffic light is almost impossible any other way during heavy hours.

The side effect of this 5th or 7th "lane" is that although it is not a true median, it is wide enough to separate traffic considerably, and can be thought of as a "soft median", which is safer than just a center line. Also, it allows cars to turn left without stopping the traffic flow on the left lane, without the need to construct a left-turn lane every 10 metres (as is the case on some main streets with many businesses on the sides). The only small safety problem is that you have to check to make sure that no one from the opposite direction is also turning left near the place where you want to turn, because then you can result in a head-on collision.

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #282
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Hey guys, have you ever seen an 18-wheeler lorry overtaking a passenger car on a 1+1 rural highway? After I moved to Washington state, I saw this twice. In eastern Washington the speed limits on 1+1 highways resemble Germany a lot: 50 km/h inside of build-up areas and 100 km/h outside. Some passenger cars drive even slower than the speed limit, but the good thing is that whenever you flash at them and start overtaking, they move to the right and partially drive on the shoulder.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #283
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

[QUOTE=Alex Von Königsberg;14971436]Hey guys, have you ever seen an 18-wheeler lorry overtaking a passenger car on a 1+1 rural highway? [QUOTE]

It's not that uncommon in Norway, since our roads mainly are 1+1 and the truckers often seem to be in a hurry...
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #284
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Guess what the speed limit is here...

30km/h (18MPH).

RIDICULOUS!

location; Eindhoven-Woensel.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #285
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 750

Yeah.That one is definitely too low. If they really want 30kph there then they should also adjust the road to 30kph standards.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #286
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post

Guess what the speed limit is here...

30km/h (18MPH).

RIDICULOUS!

location; Eindhoven-Woensel.
That's even worse than the ones I posted, ridiclous.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #287
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Hey guys, have you ever seen an 18-wheeler lorry overtaking a passenger car on a 1+1 rural highway? After I moved to Washington state, I saw this twice. In eastern Washington the speed limits on 1+1 highways resemble Germany a lot: 50 km/h inside of build-up areas and 100 km/h outside. Some passenger cars drive even slower than the speed limit, but the good thing is that whenever you flash at them and start overtaking, they move to the right and partially drive on the shoulder.
18 wheelers overtaking.....it doesn't happen very often here but it does happen and since trucks have a speed limiter(95km/h, if I'm not mistaken) and our roads don't have hard shoulders, it's risky business.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #288
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFM View Post
That's even worse than the ones I posted, ridiclous.
The road seen in the picture is only one direction!
Old September 17th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #289
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

A 30km/h speed limit for a 4-lane road with separated directions. How stupid is that? And then they expect people to follow that limit.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #290
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Now you know how we feel about driving 80km/h on some motorways
It really makes no sense at all. Ofcourse, the 80 limit comes with automated speed checks the whole stretch.
Old September 17th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #291
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss
18 wheelers overtaking.....it doesn't happen very often here but it does happen and since trucks have a speed limiter(95km/h, if I'm not mistaken) and our roads don't have hard shoulders, it's risky business.
In Holland it happens a lot but (fortunately) not on 1+1 rural roads. It's really frustrating; however driving only 70km/h behind some caravan in a truck can be very frustrating too.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #292
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The worse thing is, the caravan driver thinks he drives 80km/h because of the generally 5 - 10km/h disorder on car speedometers. Dutch trucks are mostly limited at 87km/h, and most foreign trucks at 95km/h, causing a lot of elephant races when overtaking. But i can understand the truck drivers. They want a lot of 2x3 lanes too, so they can overtake without getting in the car's way.
Old September 17th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #293
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Dutch trucks are mostly limited at 87km/h
I've had 95km/h on the speedmeter of my lesson truck.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:09 AM   #294
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 0

on motorways, i usually go 120-130 km/h when i'm paying for the fuel, otherwise it's 170-180 km/h. speed limits are 130 km/h [croatia] and 120 km/h [serbia].
in republic of srpska (BiH) there are still no motorways [one is u/c, while a netrwork of motorways is planned], and limits on 1x1 roads are 80 km/h, but i drive 90-100-110 km/h. in the city, i don't care for the speed limits, i usually drive about 80 km/h on 1x1 roads, and 100 km/h on 2x2 roads.

so basically, i don't care about speed limits, unless i know that there's police somewhere near...
the only case i care about speed limits is when i'm trying not to spend too much fuel
P@vle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #295
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 750

Great. Another idiot
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 02:03 AM   #296
[email protected]

another idiot? first, there's no need for you to be rude. second, why am i an idiot?
Old September 18th, 2007, 02:11 AM   #297
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalimero View Post
another idiot? first, there's no need for you to be rude. second, why am i an idiot?
Because you drive 100km/h inside the city. Not sure about the layout of the cities you drive in, but generally that cannot be safe, even on 2x2 roads (however, I did not call you an idiot ).
Old September 18th, 2007, 02:17 AM   #298
[email protected]

i have a fine car, fine breaks, fine tires, and this is how most of those city roads looks like:

therefore, i don't think driving at that speed is dangerous. driving 60 km/h there is waste of time, IMO.
Old September 18th, 2007, 09:58 AM   #299
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Most urban limits are 50km/h and sometimes 70km/h here. I guess when you drive that style here, you're entire monthly income would go to the state within one day, because of the speed checks.
Old September 18th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #300
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

I don't think the limits in Australia are particularly bad, except for maybe sections of rural highway which are divided.

The limits are:
40km/h in high street shopping areas
50km/h in residential areas (or if unsigned)
60km/h for most major undivided roads
70km/h for less busy undivided roads, plus busier sections of divided roads
80km/h for divided roads
90km/h on less busy sections of divided roads (rare)
100km/h urban freeways, all rural roads without speed signs (very dangerous when two intersect)
110km/h rural freeways.

Common sense says that the 100km/h limit on rural roads shouldn't be strictly followed because the majority of them aren't built for those speeds. That's why a significant proportion of deaths are caused by cars losing control on curves and ending up wrapped around a tree or pole. I was driving on a mountain road recently - very thick fog (5m visibility), night time, hairpin turns - I wouldn't have exceeded anything more than maybe 25km/h and the entire trip downhill was powered by gravity. The speed limit was still 100km/h, which would be unattainable even in perfect conditions unless you were a rally driver.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote