daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 7th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #321
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Well the straight sections remind me somewhat of urban parkways in the Toronto area, which usually have a speed limit of 70km/h. However, there seem to be frequent roundabouts, a significant upward grade, and the road isn't very wide for a 4-lane road (like our parkways), so I think a 50-60 limit is quite reasonable.

Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #322
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

I'd put a crashbarrier on both sides,and then maybe 70 could be reasonable.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #323
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Some Arnhem examples.

Batavierenweg, only 70km/h at this section without grade crossings.

Burgemeester Matsersingel, only 50km/h. 70km/h would be more reasonable here.

Unfortunately I don't have pictures from the Eldenseweg (with the Nelson Mandelabridge). It's hard to take good pictures there from a bicycle. Speedlimit is only 70km/h (on the bridge itself even only 50km/h) while the road looks designed for motorway standards... Traffic flows with about 90km/h.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #324
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

In the USA, they would probably post 90 km/h on the first picture and 60-70 km/h on the second.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 01:28 AM   #325
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
In the USA, they would probably post 90 km/h on the first picture and 60-70 km/h on the second.
I agree, same with Canada, the second picture looks like a normal city arterial, which is usually at least 60km/h.

It's an interesting observation overall, I think - while Europe has much higher speed limits on its motorways, I think urban speed limits in North America are generally higher.
Old October 9th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #326
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Because America's urban model is more sparse than that of Europe in general, I think.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #327
RawLee

The 70 on this pics is because of the trolleys So it means that the road is inside city limits,in which case speed above 70 is rare(apart from motorways and expressways)

2nd pics is the same,and maybe a stop of the trolley is nearby,and 70 is much when there could be pedestrians.
Old October 9th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #328
Jeroen669

Both pictures are inside city limits. So indeed, a higher speed limit than 70km/h would not be possible. On the first picture there are busstops directly next to the road, but not on the second one (a bit further there is one, but that's the end of the 2X2 section without grade crossings, so speed limit is 50km/h anyway).
Old October 9th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #329
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
So it means that the road is inside city limits,in which case speed above 70 is rare(apart from motorways and expressways)
There are no speed limits above 70km/h on non-motorways within city limits in the Netherlands.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #330
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
There are no speed limits above 70km/h on non-motorways within city limits in the Netherlands.
Neither here. Thats why I wrote "rare". Who knows...there could be somewhere on this continent.
Old October 9th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #331
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Portugal, especialy near Lisbon on the IC's and IP's and the N125? in Coimbra which has 90 (Forum-Bencanta-Ribeira de Frades-Taveiro-Pereira) thoses are suburbs of Coimbra (exept Forum witch is a shopping Center).
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #332
Jeroen669

The only possibility to change it is to change the city limits. It's absurd that the Eldenseweg, Batavierenweg and Nijmeegseweg are within city limits anyway.
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:41 AM   #333
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 856

In Canada it really depends on where you live.
In Alberta, Ontario, and Quebec anything under 120 is considered crawling but in BC people actually often drive UNDER the speed limit...........its bizzare and this with a freeway max of 100km/hr.

Vancouverites go to Tor/Mon always come back speechless about how fast people drive.
Last time I was back in Toronto I was going 120km/hr and got passes by a Greyhound bus. It was great to be back in Ontario where freeway speeds signs are just a waste of steel and paint.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #334
TheCat

lol yeah, I wouldn't say 120km/h is crawling on our freeways, but it is approximately the average speed in absence of traffic. It is also interesting to know this about BC, I'm surprised. I think it might have something to do with Vancouver's relatively small freeway network, as opposed to, say, South Ontario's 400-series or Quebec's Autoroute system. But I think the previous discussion was about non-motorway roads.

In Toronto, as far as I remember, there are urban roads with limits of 80km/h. Usually it's on separated expressways, but with at-grade intersections. For example, if I'm not mistaken, Highway 7 in Vaughan (a suburb of Toronto) has a limit of 80km/h in some parts, and 70 in most of its length.
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #335
Alex Von Königsberg

He-he, I will check out Beautiful British Columbia's roads in two weeks Since moving to Washington from California, I have developed the same habits as most of rural Washington drivers - following the speed limits! However, most of 2x1 rural highways have a limit of 98 km/h (sometimes 105 km/h), so I wouldn't call it slow anyway. Washington speed limits remind me Germany a lot - you drive 100 km/h on rural landstraßen and slow down to 50 km/h when entering a town, and then speed up to 100 km/h again.

Looking forward to seeing precious kilometres again
Old March 18th, 2008, 02:40 AM   #336
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
He-he, I will check out Beautiful British Columbia's roads in two weeks Since moving to Washington from California, I have developed the same habits as most of rural Washington drivers - following the speed limits! However, most of 2x1 rural highways have a limit of 98 km/h (sometimes 105 km/h), so I wouldn't call it slow anyway. Washington speed limits remind me Germany a lot - you drive 100 km/h on rural landstraßen and slow down to 50 km/h when entering a town, and then speed up to 100 km/h again.

Looking forward to seeing precious kilometres again
I'm a resident in Washington and in urban areas traffic speeds are generally 55-65 mph, about 93-110 km/h I believe. In the rural areas, speeds up to 80 (130 km/h) are not unusual.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 06:40 AM   #337
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10378

I drove down a highway at 80 mph (130 km/h) today. That was the fastest that I ever drove.

The stretch of highway that I drove had a speed limit of 55 mph (~90 km/h).

Interestingly, there were people driving even faster than me...I guess it's true, nobody really does give a damn about the speed limit! I'm not going to be doing that often though...there are too much sneaky cops around.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #338
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Likes (Received): 1046

I'll say. I'm usually a speed demon but in my town, I know where the speed traps are so I know where to slow down and speed up. I've never gotten a speeding ticket for the 7 years I've had my license but this weekend I finally got caught. I was driving home from skiing and got caught doing 51 mph (82km/h) in a 25 mph (40 km/h) zone. The only sign I saw was 35 mph (56 km/h) after I got out of the roundabout and and I was still speeding but not by THAT much but arguing with a cop wasn't going to help me any. I was fined $120 but oh well, I learned my lesson. Never go skiing in an unfamiliar town.

AR AT BE BG BR CA CH CZ DE DK EE ES FI FR HR HU IE IT LT LU LV NL PL RO RS SE SI SK TR UA UK US UY
Czas na Żywiec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #339
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
I'm a resident in Washington and in urban areas traffic speeds are generally 55-65 mph, about 93-110 km/h I believe. In the rural areas, speeds up to 80 (130 km/h) are not unusual.
Washington State Patrol is off the limits. Whenever we drive through Seattle metro area, we see at least 2-3 traffic stops on freeways. They even have very scary signs that read: "Speed laws strictly enforced", or something like this. In Canada, for instance, I have yet to see mounties.
Old March 18th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #340
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

I drove 95 miles an hour on a 2 lane road yesterday. It was on a 30km long dike across water, mostly straight flat-out, and you loose like all points of reference there. It felt like driving 110km/h, the speed limit was 60 miles/100km an hour.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote