daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 19th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #21
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnurT View Post
In Turkey;
max: 120km/h
min: 40km/h

low, eh...
In Portugal it was exactly like that until some 3 or 4 years ago, when they changed the minimum to 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnurT View Post
low, eh...
Why do you say that? The maximim speed is ok, and the minimum, although it might be low, is higher than in all the countries that doesn't have a minimum, so...

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #22
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2647

If i don't remember bad, on Spain the minimum speed is 50% of max speed for autovias and autopistas, if max speed 100 KM/h minimum 50 and if max 120 minimum 60.

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #23
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aokromes View Post
If i don't remember bad, on Spain the minimum speed is 50% of max speed for autovias and autopistas, if max speed 100 KM/h minimum 50 and if max 120 minimum 60.
Not exactly. If I don't make a mistake the minimum speed is 50% of maximum speed on autovías and autopistas but the 50% of general speed limit on that kind of ways, 120 kph, so the minimum speed is 60 kph.
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #24
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenGuard View Post
They don't need to make much effort, the camera automatically reads out the License Plate, the ID is looked up in a Database, and the next Week you get an automatized Fine sent home.

That's why there have already been formed Groups who attack these cameras, they spray their Lenses or destroy them copmletely, etc...
Do they pursue every single infraction in your jurisdiction? I hardly think they'll make a case in court if someone challenges a fine for being 1 km/h over the limit.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #25
FallenGuard

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Do they pursue every single infraction in your jurisdiction? I hardly think they'll make a case in court if someone challenges a fine for being 1 km/h over the limit.
I don't know that, in Luxembourg there are none of these Speedtraps. I'd imagine they fine 99% of Infractions, since it is a very good Source of Income for Police...

But I know if you speed on French Highways, you can get your fine sent Home to you even if you live in Luxembourg... already happened a few times. So they seem to enforce this rather strict.
FallenGuard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 07:39 AM   #26
Hochatas
Cerca de Shibuya....

Likes (Received): 2

Mexico

Min:40km/h
Max: 110km/h

Usually everybody drives around 110km/h and 140km/h and is not hard to see people driving over 220km/h.
Hochatas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:10 PM   #27
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

What I know for HK is min 25 km/h and max 110km/h, where 80km/h is the most common. Macau min 40km/h and max 80 km/h for Bridges from Macau to Taipa and vice-versa.
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #28
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

In California, the minimum speed on I-5 is 72 km/h which is not bad all. But then it is hard to drive slower than 130 km/h on this freeway, especially in Northern and Central California (from Oregon border all the way down to Bakersfield).
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #29
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Speed limits

Quote:
Additionally most US states require drivers to not exceed safe speeds. A driver may not drive faster than conditions permit, regardless of speed limit.
source: wikipedia.

So, if you have an empty interstate you're driving on, you can pick any speed you feel comfortable with, without getting a fine? So if you drive 80MPH on an interstate in California, that's okay, if traffic is low?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #30
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

I think it goes in the other direction!

allowed_speed <= min(speed_condition_permit, speed_limit)

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #31
eurogator

Likes (Received): 0

eh, it just means that if the speed limit is 70mph but its raining really hard, you can get pulled over for "speeding". it's a bit subjective, so im not the biggest fan of it.
eurogator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #32
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
source: wikipedia.

So, if you have an empty interstate you're driving on, you can pick any speed you feel comfortable with, without getting a fine? So if you drive 80MPH on an interstate in California, that's okay, if traffic is low?
Yeah, there's actually two different kinds of laws dealing with this. In most states (California included, I believe), the statute is an absolute speed limit, which means that per se driving faster than 70 mph is illegal. In other states, like Texas, the law is a prima facie statute, meaning that driving over the speed limit is usually conclusive evidence that you were breaking the law, which is "driving at an excess speed". However, I believe that once or twice a speeder successfully argued that driving faster than the posted speed limit actually was not excessive.

At the same time, most provisions indicate that in the per se states, there are other violations for going too fast for conditions. In the prima facie states, conditions are factored in as other evidence for driving at an excess speed.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #33
The Westerner

Likes (Received): 6

AFAIK there are not speed limits in Montana's highways. Am I wrong?
But police officers can decide if the speed is not reasonable and apply a fine.
In the other states the speed limits ar always well communicated (and ridiculously low!)
The Westerner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #34
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Westerner View Post
AFAIK there are not speed limits in Montana's highways. Am I wrong?
Yep. There used to be no daylight speed limit on Montana's interstates. Now, there is a speed limit of 120 km/h. Actually, they reinstated the speed limit quite a while back - on 28 May 1999. I drove in Montana in August 1999, and was surprised at how often people disregarded the limit by driving 150 km/h or even faster.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #35
The Westerner

Good to know! So now is Germany the only developed country without a speed limit?
Old February 25th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #36
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
I drove in Montana in August 1999, and was surprised at how often people disregarded the limit by driving 150 km/h or even faster.
What do you think

miles and miles, hours after hours flat out driving (eastern Montana), you put the pedal to the metal
Old February 25th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #37
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Good to know! So now is Germany the only developed country without a speed limit?
A few public roads still have no speed limit:

* The German intercity Autobahn, two-thirds of which have only advisory limits (Richtgeschwindigkeit).
* The Isle of Man has no speed limit on many rural roads. A 2004 proposal for 70 and 60 mph (112 and 96 km/h) speed limits was very unpopular [10].
* Some roads in India have no speed limits.
* Nepal has average traffic speeds of 40-50 km/h and has no statutory speed limits set on most of its roads.
Old February 25th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #38
The Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
A few public roads still have no speed limit:

* The German intercity Autobahn, two-thirds of which have only advisory limits (Richtgeschwindigkeit).
* The Isle of Man has no speed limit on many rural roads. A 2004 proposal for 70 and 60 mph (112 and 96 km/h) speed limits was very unpopular [10].
* Some roads in India have no speed limits.
* Nepal has average traffic speeds of 40-50 km/h and has no statutory speed limits set on most of its roads.
OK, thus Germany is the only developed country without speed limit!
Besides, the world's highest limit (when existing & not considering experimetal sections) is 150kph in the italian highways.
Old February 25th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #39
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Besides, the world's highest limit (when existing & not considering experimetal sections) is 150kph in the italian highways.
No.

The United Arab Emirates have speed limits of 160kph, and Austria has a stretch which has 160kph too.

I've never seen a sign in Italy that says 150kph. Does anyone have a picture?
Old February 26th, 2007, 01:34 AM   #40
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

I find speed limits redundant in a way. I myself drive at a speed that I feel comfortable with. So that means doing 100 in an 80, id still do 100 even if the limit was set to 100. Not like that'll ever happen. And on the 400 series doing 140 isn't all that outrageous, IMO.

I find that in Ontario at least that the cops won't pull over unless you are doing well over the limit, and even then, they may still not pull you over. I drove by cop coming in the opposite direction doing 90 in a 50 and never got pulled over
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote