daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:20 PM   #401
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Nothing is more relaxing than doing 150 km/h in the 6th gear.
I know On a nice deserted road it's great.
I've never had a car with a 6th gear though (other than reverse haha)
KIWIKAAS está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:19 PM   #402
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

I know people who sometimes forget using the 5th gear, I can't imagine them on a 6 gears car. hahahaha

Bye!
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:32 PM   #403
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

The car I mostly drive in (don't own a car yet) doesn't even have a 5th gear. Can you imagine the sound it makes while driving 150 in 4th gear.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:50 PM   #404
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
The car I mostly drive in (don't own a car yet) doesn't even have a 5th gear. Can you imagine the sound it makes while driving 150 in 4th gear.
when I want to get quick into the autobahn flow, I sometimes also shift gears very late, like 2nd to 3rd gear at 70km/h, next step 110km/h, and 4th to 5th at 140km/h, I once didn't pay attention, I was at 150km/h and still in the 4th gear (I drive a Nissan Micra from 1993 with 54hp). Was pretty loud But I usually shift very early and I'm often in the 5th gear at a speed of 50km/h in towns.
A friend of mine once drew an old benz with only 4 gears, and there were markers at the tacho when to shift. it was like 1st to 2nd at 50-60km/h, 2nd to 3rd at 90km/h, and 3rd to 4th at like 140-150km/h. now that was crazy

Last edited by Patrick; March 23rd, 2008 at 09:12 PM.
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:00 PM   #405
Jeroen669

60km/h in 1st gear...wtf? I often drive an old Golf, but I shift the same way as I would do in a car with 5th gear. I can drive 50 in 4th gear (fortunately).
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:02 PM   #406
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

I usually shift more economic

2200 rpm to the next gear with petrol. saves me up to 100 kilometer of extra driving with one tank. Not quite unimportant of this time and age of high petrol prices.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:17 PM   #407
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

I noticed that when I started following the speed limits (after 2 tickets in Washington), the fuel consumption improved by 25% ! Before, driving to Seattle (~470 km of highway driving) would take the whole tank, but now it takes only 75-80% of the tank. After I put back the summer tyres, the fuel consumption should drop even more.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:38 PM   #408
Jeroen669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I see you edited your post with this image. I don't think these markers show when to shift, but the maximum speed by a maximum rpm. I know because I've got exactly the same markers here and I've also seen them in other cars.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:42 PM   #409
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10378

I have went into 6th gear before in a testing track...my car was trembling, LOL.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:51 PM   #410
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
I noticed that when I started following the speed limits (after 2 tickets in Washington), the fuel consumption improved by 25% ! Before, driving to Seattle (~470 km of highway driving) would take the whole tank, but now it takes only 75-80% of the tank. After I put back the summer tyres, the fuel consumption should drop even more.
Fuel consumption is not so much about sticking to the speed limits, but more about general traffic flow, and the ability to reach a constant speed. Doing 130km/h on a free flow freeway is better than doing 50 in a city with traffic lights.

I found this remarkable, when i drove one full tank only within my city, and after just over 400 kilometers, i had to refuel (wintertime), while can reach 700km on one tank on the freeway (summertime). So also, the temperature is an issue, a cold engine usually consumes up to 25% more petrol on the first 5 - 10 kilometers. When it's summer, this drops remarkably.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:02 PM   #411
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8959

I don´t shift at all! (= automatic transmission)

And since we have here in Germany unlimited FREEDOM of SPEEDING on ze autobahns I cruise usually at a speed near Vmax (200-210km/h).

What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:19 PM   #412
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
60km/h in 1st gear...wtf?
You think it's impossible? I'll tell you how to reach it: when driving 60 km/h in the 4th gear, just switch into the 1st gear and see what happens.

Quote:
Yes, I can! Once I went to Budapest (almost 500 km) and there was a woman driving I first met (my mum's friend) and she was used to her 4-gear car and drove 150 km/h in the 4th gear, but I didn't wanna sound rude by "teaching her how to drive", especially as I didn't know her. In the end I was happy there was just 150 km of motorways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriK View Post
Bye!
Gotta love this one.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:26 PM   #413
Skyprince
Asian boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Fuel consumption is not so much about sticking to the speed limits, but more about general traffic flow, and the ability to reach a constant speed. Doing 130km/h on a free flow freeway is better than doing 50 in a city with traffic lights.

I found this remarkable, when i drove one full tank only within my city, and after just over 400 kilometers, i had to refuel (wintertime), while can reach 700km on one tank on the freeway (summertime). So also, the temperature is an issue, a cold engine usually consumes up to 25% more petrol on the first 5 - 10 kilometers. When it's summer, this drops remarkably.
Wow this is very informative !
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:55 PM   #414
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

Quote:
I see you edited your post with this image. I don't think these markers show when to shift, but the maximum speed by a maximum rpm. I know because I've got exactly the same markers here and I've also seen them in other cars.
oh, that's of course the better explanation. and in the end, i can't understand how i could think what i thought ...
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:00 PM   #415
KIWIKAAS

Quote:
I usually shift more economic

2200 rpm to the next gear with petrol. saves me up to 100 kilometer of extra driving with one tank. Not quite unimportant of this time and age of high petrol prices.
I try to keep the rpm as low as possible as well - also to save on petrol consumption.
In the city I offen drive 50-53 in 5th gear (rpm around 1500) which is basically just drifting along the road with barely a touch on the excelerator.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:19 PM   #416
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

This isn't usually good, in 5th you need more fuel to get the same force
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:27 PM   #417
KIWIKAAS

I get to the optimal speed first and once cruising I change to 5th. Then it's just a question of maintaining the same speed and as Holland is flat that hardly requires any power to maintain. Ofcourse when changing speeds I use the other gears accordingly.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:34 PM   #418
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Sure, it is true. But in my case, I compared exactly the same way with no stops and virtually no traffic at 130 km/h and then at 100 km/h. I didn't even expect that this difference would produce such a difference in fuel consumption In California, I also noticed that the air conditioner may worsen the fuel consumption by 15-20%.

Quote:
I found this remarkable, when i drove one full tank only within my city, and after just over 400 kilometers, i had to refuel (wintertime), while can reach 700km on one tank on the freeway (summertime).
Hm, in my car (Focus 2.3L petrol MT) I noticed that the maximum difference between the city and motorway cycle never exceeded 30%. The problem with city driving in America is that, even if there is no traffic, there are way too many STOP signs and way too few roundabouts. When you stop or slow down to 5 km/h every 100-200 metres for no reason, it is just not good for both the fuel economy and for the car wear
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:38 PM   #419
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
I try to keep the rpm as low as possible as well - also to save on petrol consumption.
In the city I offen drive 50-53 in 5th gear (rpm around 1500) which is basically just drifting along the road with barely a touch on the excelerator.
Wow, my engine would lag if I shifted into 4th below 50, never mind the 5th Plus, I heard that it is not good for the engine valves if you shift too early.
Old March 24th, 2008, 01:02 AM   #420
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

How can you drive 50 km/h in the 5th gear?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote