daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2008, 07:50 PM   #441
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

Here in Spain the old motorways have small "accelerating lanes" so you must accelerate fast to merge with a good speed, also the old motorways have usually heavy traffic so merging slowly is dangerous, I try get a speed of about 100Km/h and if I can't merge because there are cars in the right lane, I continue in the berm and I merge safely with a proper speed. (usually this isn't necessary because the drivers inside the motorway "always" try to help you changing to another lane or breaking/accelerating). Unfortunatelly sometimes is hard to merge in very old and busy motorways because they had to expand them with more lanes in a small place and the bern sometimes is very small.

Fortunately it has been solved on newer motorways, they have long breakin/accelerating lanes, with service ways (and in busy (and new) motorways there is a special lane that goes from an entry to the next exit so the people can accelerate and merge quietly and leave comfortably, this lanes usually have some kms), usually the new motorways have a lot of ground reserved around and in the middle to expand them if necessary.

:P See u
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #442
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

I try to merge in the same way - by accelerating to the speed of traffic on the motorway and merge into an available gap. What I don't like is when a merging driver accelerates to 120-130 regardless of the motorway traffic speed, rushes to the end of the merging lane and then merge without yielding to the main traffic. In California it was often the case, plus very few drivers used their signals...
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #443
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

On many freeways in the US they use the zipper rule, though, i.e. the main traffic does not have a clear right of way, but is supposed to yield for every second oncoming vehicle. The same system is used in Norway, btw, and it is supposed to enhance traffic flow.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 01:24 AM   #444
X236K

Likes (Received): 46

Sunday, Mohelnice - Ostrava, 135 km, 75 min. Dont kill me!
X236K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 01:29 AM   #445
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

I once did Rotterdam - Zwolle (150km) in one hour (from exit to exit), but that was at night.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #446
X236K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
I once did Rotterdam - Zwolle (150km) in one hour (from exit to exit), but that was at night.
impressive! I need to note that I was driving in a good weather while no traffic
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #447
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

In Ontario we have an about 300m acceleration lane for merging, but in Quebec you merge right away, basically you have no chance to mess up, you're basically thrown on the highway its crazy, but they usually move over, whereas in Ontario you don't have to.
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #448
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
On many freeways in the US they use the zipper rule, though, i.e. the main traffic does not have a clear right of way, but is supposed to yield for every second oncoming vehicle. The same system is used in Norway, btw, and it is supposed to enhance traffic flow.
It will be better for traffic flow if merging traffic yields to the main traffic. "helping" oncoming traffic is nice when it's not too busy, but when there's too much traffic you can't just go to the left. The merging vehicle has to look for some free space in the main stream, so it won't be disturbed. At least, that's how it's here, and it works out quite well.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #449
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
"helping" oncoming traffic is nice when it's not too busy, but when there's too much traffic you can't just go to the left.
Maybe he meant helping by slowing down to let an oncoming vehicle join your lane (or eventually speeding up in some cases).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #450
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Maybe he meant helping by slowing down to let an oncoming vehicle join your lane (or eventually speeding up in some cases).
If you want to create traffic jams
Old March 26th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #451
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1141

170KM once i drive in china expressway
Old March 26th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #452
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
It will be better for traffic flow if merging traffic yields to the main traffic. "helping" oncoming traffic is nice when it's not too busy, but when there's too much traffic you can't just go to the left. The merging vehicle has to look for some free space in the main stream, so it won't be disturbed. At least, that's how it's here, and it works out quite well.
I was just pointing out that the rules in (as far as I know) some states in the US, most states in Australia and some other countries like Norway does not give the right of way to the main traffic. Only in connection with short or ill-designed ramps, some rest areas etc. the yield sign is used. I am not neccessarily defending this practice. However, they changed the rule in Norway to the zipper merge rule about 30 years ago, and since they did not switch back, I assume it worked out better than before.
Quote:
Exactly, in fact, this rule also applies for ramps to two-lane/two-way roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
If you want to create traffic jams
Well, it's better than having cars stranded at the end of the acceleration lane.....

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; March 26th, 2008 at 03:59 PM.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #453
Verso
Islander

Oh, just for the record: the fastest I've ever driven was about 190 km/h (120 mph), and you won't believe where - in Switzerland. I knew they didn't have radars there and I was in a big hurry. Otherwise I drive 120 km/h there as I don't wanna get a life-ban from Swiss roads.
Old March 26th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #454
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

here on the german 6-laned A3 Köln-Frankfurt, is really fun for me to drive on sundays when trucks are mostly banned. my car is not that powerful (54hp) so the max real speed is limited to around 170km/h (tacho max is 180 which i can reach), and the autobahn is not that empty, but I am sometimes one of the slowest although being near full speed. i love that
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #455
Verso
Islander

And then an ICE overtakes you just like that...
Old March 27th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #456
X236K

Quote:
Oh, just for the record: the fastest I've ever driven was about 190 km/h (120 mph), and you won't believe where - in Switzerland. I knew they didn't have radars there and I was in a big hurry. Otherwise I drive 120 km/h there as I don't wanna get a life-ban from Swiss roads.
220 kmph (135 mph) on R55... regularly...
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #457
Timon91
Error

As a passenger: 190 km/h. I was with my dad on my way across the Afsluitdijk. When we crossed the locks when they closed behind us. So there was a whole empty highway in front of us, for 30 km! Nice time to test your car.....
Old March 29th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #458
smeghead
PTnut

Likes (Received): 0

Got it off Aussiehighways mailing list circa 2006.
Old March 30th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #459
ChrisZwolle
Road user

12,600,000 traffic offenses were fined last year in the Netherlands. That is an increase of 700,000 fines.

70% of the 7,500,000 speeding fines were for less than 10km/h too fast.
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:00 PM   #460
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

It's good to know tomorrow the fines for most of the traffic offences will even be raised with 20%.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote