daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #541
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

There's probably a category I and II organisation in their roads.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #542
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natomasken View Post
What do the "I" and "II" mean?
It should represent the fact that there is a toll for trucks on some 1st class roads (national roads) as well. They are signed only with blue numbers and 1 or 2 digits

It is not very clear though...
Old January 14th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #543
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponsor View Post
What's the speed limit on single carriageway expressway (R)? Is it really 130 km/h?
Theoretically yes, but speed is always limited by sign there. Usually it's 100 km/h, but it can be 90 and 110 as well.

Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #544
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

110 with no divided lanes? I think that's the highest in Europe, right? Although Sweden may have some 110 roads too...
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #545
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
110 with no divided lanes?
Is it a lot? You should visit us nore often

Notice that normal roads in Wester and Central Europe differ from each other - we usually have wide shoulder making driving safier.
I doubt you have such roads in the Netherlands.
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #546
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

Sometimes it can be pretty dangerous, mainly on slippery road. But, I guess this guy was driving much faster than 110 since he broke his car into two parts.

Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #547
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

We have this important 2-laned roads, especially in the north (N33, N35 for instance). Most of them have Vmax 100 km/h, with a green line as a median, but no shoulders.
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #548
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
110 with no divided lanes? I think that's the highest in Europe, right? Although Sweden may have some 110 roads too...
We used to have such speed limit on the 2-lane expressway/motorroad Maribor - Celje in times of Yugoslavia, when traffic was very light there (it was an exception, b/c the general speed limit on motorroads has always been 100 km/h).

EDIT: Hungarian 2-lane motorroads have speed limit 110 km/h.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #549
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
We used to have such speed limit on the 2-lane expressway/motorroad Maribor - Celje in times of Yugoslavia, when traffic was very light there (it was an exception, b/c the general speed limit on motorroads has always been 100 km/h).

EDIT: Hungarian 2-lane motorroads have speed limit 110 km/h.
In Australia, many rural highways are 2-lane single carriageways with a limit of 110 km/h. The really pathetic thing is, if they were to put a motorway there it would still only be 110 km/h.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #550
Michu33
... ... ...

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Jest wprowadzony od nowego roku
Old January 14th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #551
(HUN)RoGeR
MSc of Chem Engineering

Likes (Received): 356

Hungary:

Original post
(HUN)RoGeR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #552
enschede-er
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

I don't know if this is correct but on Wikipedia it says that Romania has a speed limit on Motorways and Expressways 140 . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_by_country
enschede-er no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #553
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

No, it's not true, maybe it's because Police catch only >140. That way many countries have higher speed limits.
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #554
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by enschede-er View Post
I don't know if this is correct but on Wikipedia it says that Romania has a speed limit on Motorways and Expressways 140 . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_by_country
I assume it's a typo(graphical error), according to the same article:

Romania

The speed limit in towns is generally 50 km/h, but on certain streets, depending on traffic, it can go up to 70 km/h for automobiles and motorcycles or as low as 10 km/h for tramways and 30 km/h for automobiles.

Outside towns, the speed limits are: 130 km/h on and motorways, 100 km/h on European roads or expressways and 90 km/h on other roads. However, for trucks and buses, the limits are lowered to 110, 90 and 80 km/h respectively, and for certain low weight/power motorcycles and automobiles they are lowered to 90, 80 and 70 km/h respectively. The tractors and vehicles which can travel at 45 km/h at most have a 45 km/h speed limit outside town, although inside cities they are allowed to go with the traffic at 50 km/h.

Overweight automobiles, trucks and buses or those transporting dangerous products have a speed limit of 40 km/h in town and 70 km/h outside towns. Also, drivers with less than one year of experience or learning how to drive must travel outside of town at 20 km/h less than the general speed limit for that road.
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #555
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Well, the 2-lane 110 roads in northern Sweden are history pretty soon. As the Swedes have added 40-60-80-100-120 kph limits, non-divided roads will not get limits higher than 100.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #556
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by (HUN)RoGeR View Post
Is this the M70?
Old January 17th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #557
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

No. Notice that there's no motorway sign in the other direction (Slovenian A5), so I guess speed limit is 90 km/h until the first 110-km/h sign.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #558
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

Just as I suspected, the fact that the motorway sign no longer means 110, developed area sign 50, etc. means that the speed limit signs technically no longer exist in Sweden.

I emailed Vägverket and they replied:
"Upplysningsmärke vid riksgräns" infördes i vägmärkesförordningen den 1 juni 2007, men redan 1 november 2008 togs det bort igen. Anledningen var bl. a. just det du påpekar, att motorväg inte längre har en enda "bashastighet". Det är ändå möjligt att det kommer att komponeras egna informationsskyltar vid gränsövergångarna."

This is saying that the signs began in June 2007 but were removed as of November 2008 because of the reason mentioned above. He also says however that maybe in the future there will be some kind of information sign at borders.
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #559
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Just as I suspected, the fact that the motorway sign no longer means 110, developed area sign 50, etc. means that the speed limit signs technically no longer exist in Sweden.

I emailed Vägverket and they replied:
"Upplysningsmärke vid riksgräns" infördes i vägmärkesförordningen den 1 juni 2007, men redan 1 november 2008 togs det bort igen. Anledningen var bl. a. just det du påpekar, att motorväg inte längre har en enda "bashastighet". Det är ändå möjligt att det kommer att komponeras egna informationsskyltar vid gränsövergångarna."

This is saying that the signs began in June 2007 but were removed as of November 2008 because of the reason mentioned above. He also says however that maybe in the future there will be some kind of information sign at borders.
Interesting... and somewhat confusing. Most countries have a "base limit" even if they use special limits on dangerous, poor quality or very good sections of road. I think the Swedish problem has been that most rural roads have a limit higher than the base 70, so that 90 (or 110) signposts have been in place anyway. If you'd raised your base limit to 90 (or the "new" 80), things would have been made simpler. Perhaps.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #560
pijanec

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
as well as maximal speed of all vehicles on motorways and expressways within built-up area.
This is unique in Europe. What's the point to have a difference between normal expressways and expressways within built-up area? Wouldn't it be just easier to post speed limit signs if section needs lower limit?
pijanec no está en línea   Reply With Quote