daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #581
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Speed Limits on Rural Motorways or Rural High Quality Roads should be non existent if the road is safe for high speed traveling and most are , i mean its human nature to speed on Highways if its safe or not, except for the occasional pothole u can push the pedal all the way down, on many North American roads , although watch out on the A-20 in Quebec between Quebec City Interchange and the Riviere-Du-Loup , trans Canada Interchange , so many potholes it made NYC look good, & Watch out on US Bypass 30 in Chester county the number 2 lane is bad for speeding because most interchanges have no merge lanes but thats poor PA Hwy Planning!
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #582
(HUN)RoGeR
MSc of Chem Engineering

Likes (Received): 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw35 View Post
This post was inspired from recent posts in the Belgium thread, about a .de driver being caught doing 246 km/h in .be and being fined 600 euro. Someone said that "[d]epending on when he did that, it could've been extremely dangerous".
I prefer speed limits. No speed limit increases the noise, pollution (yes, these are also reasons) and decreases the capacity (max around 100-110 km/h) and the road safety (not everybody as tolerant as you; and 100-150 km/h difference is quite dangerous).
(HUN)RoGeR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #583
(HUN)RoGeR
MSc of Chem Engineering

Likes (Received): 355

Quote:
Ummm... you're wrong.
It's like in the basic flow area equation which states:
Q (m3/s) = v (m/s) * A (m2)
i.e. the flow is equal to speed times flow area section.
Obviously the higher the speed, the higher the capacity.
But if you increase the flow you decrease the density!
It isn't a pipe with fluid with Hagen-Poiseuille equation...
(HUN)RoGeR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #584
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Speed limits are very useful on motorways. Especially over here, in Congestistan. Only the A7 in the eastern part of the Groningen province could probably do without a speed limit.
Old February 26th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #585
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded View Post
In my opinion every human being should have the right to drive as fast as he wishes (on autobahns).
As long as you're not affecting other people with your driving style. (as in: overtaking with 95 km/h on 2x2 Autobahnen or tailgate at 160 km/h)
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #586
deranged
okay then

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Ummm... you're wrong.
It's like in the basic flow area equation which states:
Q (m3/s) = v (m/s) * A (m2)
i.e. the flow is equal to speed times flow area section.
Obviously the higher the speed, the higher the capacity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
Not true. Your model does not include safety issues, like spacing, and human factor. You cannot expect drivers to drive tight with little spacing at 200 km/h! Usually at very high speeds you have to mind greater spacing than at lower speeds, just for the sake of safety. Greater spaces means that you can squeeze less cars on the given stretch thus reducing capacity.
Speed (by itself) doesn't affect capacity if the recommended following distance is measured as a constant time rather than a constant length.

Variation in speed does affect capacity, as Majestic explained in his next paragraph (which I didn't quote).

Last edited by deranged; February 26th, 2009 at 04:01 PM.
deranged no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #587
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I think there should be speed limit on motorways, but not 100 km/h, like in Canada, that's ridiculous.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #588
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3436

i also vote for speed limits, but they should be placed wiser. for instance, often there are dynamic speed limits which are non sense. notto mention some 50 km/h where it doesn't have any purpose except police traps. the most spread speed limit system (50-90-130) is ok to me. i'd maybe correct it to 50-100-140, but with more corrections on road. i mean, there are really rare situated places at open road where 50 km/h is neccessary.
Old February 26th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #589
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
Those complaining about the speed limits in Europe should spare a thought for Australians. The maximum in most rural areas is 100km/h, with far fewer motorways and outback roads at 110km/h (and 130km/h only in the Northern Territory). And every time a speed limit changes, it gets slower. Its true the roads, drivers and vehicles are bad here. But this is in a country that is vast with long driving distances and few people or traffic in remote areas.

Mark.
Yeah, we have real problems with speed limits here. I recently drove quite comfortably at 135 km/h on the F3, which has a limit of 110. There were a lot of other people driving the same speed as me, too, without any problems.

What I find annoying is when they keep lowering the limits on urban freeways (and other roads, too). Until a couple of years ago, the Sydney Harbour Bridge had a limit of 80 km/h; now it's 70. On the Anzac Bridge (2x4), it is only legal to drive up to 60 km/h, and the viaduct section of the Cahill Expressway has a limit of 50!

Also, the fastest route between Sydney and Lithgow is now M2-M7-Richmond Road-Bells Line of Road-Chifley Road, and I used to enjoy driving Richmond Road (a long straight stretch of 2x1 with one or two signalised intersections and a roundabout near its western end) at 90 km/h until they reduced the limit to 80. I'm just glad Bells Line of Road still has sections of 100 km/h (or did last time I drove there), but for how long it will stay that way I don't know.

Edit: Slightly off topic, but they really should upgrade Richmond Road to 2x2 with grade separated junctions and a bypass where it goes into Richmond and becomes Bells Line of Road through Kurrajong. It's very annoying having to slow from 80 to 50 and then having to climb the steep windy ascent just west of Kurrajong before finally being able to accelerate to 100. However, I think Bells Line of Road through the mountains should be preserved just as it is, and not upgraded to B-double standard as the RTA is proposing to do. That's a very beautiful road and it would be a shame to see it rebuilt for a few trucks. There is a perfectly good parallel alternative route; granted, it is longer and has a lot of 60 km/h sections in towns, but the Great Western Highway is being upgraded to 2x2 between the M4 and Katoomba. I don't see the need for a second dual carriageway through the Blue Mountains.

Last edited by Robosteve; February 26th, 2009 at 09:58 PM.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #590
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Well, what we do know is that countries with a more liberal approach to speed in general have higher fatality rates than countries with stricter policies (I'm talking both speed limits and how they are enforced). This is not to say that lower limits always make sense, but reasonable limits combined with drivers generally observing them makes driving safer. Motorway limits above 130 are pointless: the only people who benefit are speed-crazed youngsters and those who insist on their right to push their Porsche to the limit on public roads - neither group are particularly safe drivers or sensible to accomodate...

Sure, speeding is fun, and 200+ on the Autobahn is a huge adrenalin rush. But safe? Never, and people who think they're safe at that speed on public roads should seriously consider returning their licences.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 02:13 AM   #591
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

I dont think it should be unlimited, but 130 kph is low. It should be 160 kph.

If the speed is unlimited, it should ONLY be on 3+ lane sections and ONLY in the inside lane. And ONLY for cars that get checked more frequently. And you should pass an additional license. And it should still be capped at 250 kph.

By the same token, people who put up speedcameras ANYWHERE should be shot in the face, safety-nazis that they are.
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #592
gramercy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
Sure, speeding is fun, and 200+ on the Autobahn is a huge adrenalin rush. But safe? Never, and people who think they're safe at that speed on public roads should seriously consider returning their licences.
Exactly. There are private circuits where you can spend a whole day for 10-50-100 EUR. A WHOLE DAY. And its a circuit with no traffic and they are monitoring it.

After a day at a circuit i ALWAYS change the tyres, for example. Idiots who would drive at 250 kph from München to Berlin would arrive on four flat tyres, having burnt all their brakepads.
Old February 28th, 2009, 03:10 AM   #593
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

But that's where driver education should come into it. People should know their limits, and those of their vehicle. I would not exceed about 140 km/h on any road anyway, because I don't feel that I can safely do so. I have driven faster than this before, but I admit that it was bad judgment and I would not do it again.

That said, I do somewhat agree with the point about unlimited speeds only being allowed on 2x3 motorways, if only to allow for slow-moving trucks in the outside lane. The thing is, here in Australia in rural areas you get a lot of long, straight 2x1 roads with almost no traffic at all, but they insist on limiting them to 110 km/h (and even 100 in some cases). I recently drove 130 on one such road without any problems, except that I slowed to about 105 for curves. I feel that these roads should at the very least have their limits raised, and perhaps abolished altogether considering their very low traffic volumes.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #594
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

I think speed limits are good, but at least here in Sweden, in the countryside motorways I think they should be higher (like 130 instead of 110 and sometimes 120). I also think that the 70 and 90 stretches around Stockholm are much too long...
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #595
marki
Moon Transit

Likes (Received): 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post

After a day at a circuit i ALWAYS change the tyres, for example. Idiots who would drive at 250 kph from München to Berlin would arrive on four flat tyres, having burnt all their brakepads.
Dont quite understand: why would you burn the brakepads while cruising at 250km/h. I only apply the brakepads when i'm slowing down. Also btw, I've seen people on a public road nearby flatten/burn their tyres doing 1km/h in a circle while making lots of noise and smoke.

Mark.
marki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #596
gramercy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
Dont quite understand: why would you burn the brakepads while cruising at 250km/h. I only apply the brakepads when i'm slowing down. Also btw, I've seen people on a public road nearby flatten/burn their tyres doing 1km/h in a circle while making lots of noise and smoke.

Mark.
and how many others did they endanger exactly?
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #597
wdw35

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
Those are not the people that should drive at that speed.
The people that drive up to 250 km/h, know how to use the engine brake, and usually use the normal brake much less... probably even less that some people going sub-150 km/h.
wdw35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #598
gramercy
BANNED

Quote:
Those are not the people that should drive at that speed.
The people that drive up to 250 km/h, know how to use the engine brake, and usually use the normal brake much less... probably even less that some people going sub-150 km/h.
when those (imagined that is) 'professional drives' pull up behind a Suzuki Swift thats overtaking a truck at 110 in the inside lane, they WILL use their brakepads and boil a small pool's worth of water with their disk brakes

furthermore, when idiots push the outer limits of their Honda Civics (me included) at 5500 rpm, there is NO engine break, and if you shuv it back to third gear at that rpm, you can kiss good bye to your pimpled Civic
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #599
superalbanian
BANNED

Highway Speed Limits!

I hope this has not been done before but I would like to know your highway Speed Limits in your country!
superalbanian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #600
TataMuminka

In Poland it's 130 km/h on motorways and 110 km/h on dual-carriageway expressways. AFAIK It's recently been changed into 140 km/h and 120 km/h respectively.
TataMuminka no está en línea   Reply With Quote