daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 18th, 2009, 12:10 AM   #641
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

110 km/h is a reasonable speed limit for expressways. 100 km/h is too slow.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:15 AM   #642
superalbanian
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I think 120 and 130 is a difference...!! Trust me! I get more pleasure from 130!
superalbanian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:15 AM   #643
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

I drove 50km on the A28 motorway in NL yesterday (Vmax=120) and I drove about 105-110, it was actually quite relaxing, I had time, traffic was moderate. Had some time to look around, and overtaking trucks ain't a problem since for some reason traffic speed often drops to below 120 when people are overtaking trucks. Maybe they're scared of them. Anyway, I wasn't holding up traffic, when necessary I accelerated to 130 to not slow down others. My opinion; drive any reasonable way you want as long as you're not hold up or rush other people. Many elderly are driving barely 100 in NL, but it becomes a problem if trucks have to overtake slow cars on 120 kph m'ways.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #644
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

Slovakia

In built up area:

Motorways 90 km/h
Expressways 90 km/h
Other roads and streets 50 km/h

Outside built-up area:

Motorways 130 km/h
Expressways 130 km/h
Other roads 90 km/h

It can be modified depending on local conditions. For example there are few sections of expressways with only 110 km/h, on the other hand there are roads in built-up area with 70 km/h speed limit and of course tons of local limitations on 40, 30 and 20 km/h.

Speed limit on motorways can be even more than 130, officials are currently determining which sections of motorways will get 140 and 160 speed limits.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #645
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Didn't know 130 was also allowed on Slovakian expressways! It must be one of the highest speed limits for expwys in Europe!
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #646
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I drove 50km on the A28 motorway in NL yesterday (Vmax=120) and I drove about 105-110, it was actually quite relaxing, I had time, traffic was moderate. Had some time to look around, and overtaking trucks ain't a problem since for some reason traffic speed often drops to below 120 when people are overtaking trucks. Maybe they're scared of them. Anyway, I wasn't holding up traffic, when necessary I accelerated to 130 to not slow down others. My opinion; drive any reasonable way you want as long as you're not hold up or rush other people. Many elderly are driving barely 100 in NL, but it becomes a problem if trucks have to overtake slow cars on 120 kph m'ways.
I used to drive fast when we didn't have many motorways here, so I had to "use" them, you know... Now they are all around me, so I drive on them all the time, and speed isn't that important to me any more, I'm quite fine with 130 km/h, sometimes even lower. I still drove 180 the other day though.
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #647
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I still drove 180 the other day though.
I hope there wasn't a GATSO on your way
[IMG]http://i39.************/2evdrvs.jpg[/IMG]
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:50 AM   #648
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

They should put some of those things on this road. It's a one lane road, but outside rush hours it's often very quiet. Some idiots start driving 120 or faster on that road. Very dangerous, because there is a bike path directly next to the road. One small mistake and all goes wrong
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #649
Verso
Islander

Quote:
I hope there wasn't a GATSO on your way
No, only a slow Dutchman was on my way. Our radars are mostly marked, so you know where they are. Cool, innit?
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:55 AM   #650
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10378

The metric conversion here is about 108km/h (65mph). You can get away with going close to 125km/h (75mph) though.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #651
whizz_pat

Likes (Received): 25

New Zealand

Standard max speed on motorways (suburban) and rural highways is 100km/hr. This is sometimes reduced to 80 in cruvy/dangerous roads.
Some motorways and highways in the inner city the speed is 80km/hr.
whizz_pat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #652
ManRegio
A darle átomos.

Likes (Received): 3068

I was wondering, if in your countries, do people tend to respect the Highway Speed Limits, even if there are not any kind of surveillance or Police Patrols around the area????...

In my experience, in Mexico, at least in my State, in Rural Areas where the Speed Limits in Highways are 110 to 120 km/h, people usually respect it, but in Urban Areas where the Speed Limits in Freeways are so ridiculous between 70 to 80 km/h, People usually drive faster than that, and of course if there is no surveillance around it, there is no reason for driving so slow......
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #653
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Didn't know 130 was also allowed on Slovakian expressways! It must be one of the highest speed limits for expwys in Europe!
I think it's allowed in Czech Republic too. Of course we are talking about 2x2 expressways.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #654
Verso
Islander

130 km/h is allowed on 2-lane roads in the Northern Territory (Australia). They used to be without speed limit.

EDIT: but why this sign a few metres earlier then?
Old March 18th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #655
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManRegio View Post
I was wondering, if in your countries, do people tend to respect the Highway Speed Limits, even if there are not any kind of surveillance or Police Patrols around the area????...
If we have that confirmed by other road users (via CB), then we drive similarly to Germans - most cars at 140 - 160, some hitting 200. (Even if you have thought that noone goes below 170 )
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #656
ChrisZwolle
Road user

In the Netherlands, nearly all traffic flows at or just above the speed limit, the number of people driving more than 140 is really low, the most of them can be found in rural areas, where there are still some quiet motorways left in the northeast.

However, it's not really useful to speed in the Netherlands on motorways, the distances are generally short, so that the time you win is not worth the extra fuel consumption.

The speed limit on motorways in NL is generally not very strictly enforced, there is a limited amount of fixed speed cameras, and the chances of getting ticketed by a mobile speed trap team or surveillance cars are slim if you pay attention. Surveillance cars usually do not pull you over if you drive up to 15 too fast. Most speed cameras in NL are on regular roads, where the speed limit often feels unrealistic low.
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #657
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6383

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManRegio View Post
No.. in general Danes drives about 10km/h above the speedlimit on all but the smallest inner city steets and on freeways even with quite dense traffic people have no problem going 10-20km/h above..

So in empty areas, even with the risk of control speeds above 150 is very common - just the other day I made 170 on a 130 freeway ( that I had completely to myself ) but being a coward who doesn't want to lose my drivers licence I don't usually surpass the speedlimit by more than 20km/h ( that is where is starts getting expensive and affect your license here if cought ) and I never drive in ways I find risky to me or others..
Old March 19th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #658
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by superalbanian View Post
I think 120 and 130 is a difference...!! Trust me! I get more pleasure from 130!
I agree. I find the most comfortable driving speed on freeways to be around 130 (although it can be anywhere between 100 and 140, depending on the freeway - as a general rule on Australian highways, I am most comfortable at 20 km/h over the limit). Unfortunately, a lot of people around here like to drive 120 in the right lane and not move into the left lane when it's empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
130 km/h is allowed on 2-lane roads in the Northern Territory (Australia). They used to be without speed limit.

EDIT: but why this sign a few metres earlier then?
Hahaha, maybe that small text says "unless signed otherwise" or something? It's too blurry to read it.

A lot of 1+1 roads in Australia can safely handle 130 km/h traffic due to their low traffic volumes; I recently drove that speed on a two-lane highway north of here, though the speed limit was only 110 because that's the maximum limit in NSW.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #659
Muttie

Likes (Received): 1347

Morocco:

120 km/h on autoroutes.
80 - 100 km/h on expressways.
80 - 100 km/h on rural roads.
30 - 50 km/h within city limits.
Muttie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #660
superalbanian
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I know this is random but I would love to go and drive outside Europe, places like India, Pakistan, Latin America, North America and even Africa! Actually especially africa and the rural areas! Its something I would love to do before the end of me.

PS: As for Africa, I get a taste of that in some places in my home country Kosovo! lol!

Last edited by superalbanian; March 19th, 2009 at 04:04 PM. Reason: PS
superalbanian no está en línea   Reply With Quote