daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #701
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I think 90 is a good limit on roads with limited to no driveways and separated cyclepaths (or no cyclists anyway). On busier roads, parallel roads should be constructed for agricultural traffic.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2009, 05:14 AM   #702
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
Actually, in some places in NSW at least used to be 120 km/h in some rural roads, and as we have seen, 130 km/h on rural highways in NT. (The default rural speed limit in NSW at least used to be 100 km/h). I don't really think Sweden compares with interior Australia. Interior/desert Australia is mostly very flat, with little vegetation, and tiny towns with just one gasoline pump that are hundreds km apart. The main highways are still fairly well kept. Hence, driving at 120-130 at daytime should not be any more dangerous than a similar speed at a European motorway, as long as you slow down every time you see another vehicle. (It can be an hour or more in between....). However, there is still this rule about reckless driving, and driving at 130 at dusk or dawn, with plenty of moving wildlife, would certainly be dangerous, at least for the poor Kanga...
I agree, it's all about driving to conditions. I feel safe driving 130 km/h on the Kamilaroi Highway (speed limit 110), but will slow down for corners or if I see an oncoming vehicle or anything else that might make it less safe to drive that speed.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 05:45 AM   #703
deranged
okay then

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
Since I'm NOT deranged, I realised this... And please, either comment on the content or leave it alone.
Okay. If/when you actually back up some of your claims, I will comment.

Last edited by deranged; March 25th, 2009 at 11:44 AM.
deranged no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #704
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by deranged View Post
Okay. If/when you actually back up some of your claims, I will comment.
Way OT, but you see, when I'm logged on to this forum, I'm here to discuss things I consider important, interesting or preferbly both. I'm not here to dig up musty old facts to support every claim I make, most certainly not for the benefit of someone who doesn't show an interest in debating. Thus: My claim is that safety measures introduced over the past 50 years have gotten a less than favourable reception amongst general motorists. My example was seat belt laws. Do you disagree? Do I need to present corraborating evidence for this, rather uncontroversial, claim? The other aspect is that I don't know any safety measures that didn't work, so it's rather difficult for me to a) say anything about such animals or b) document their excistence...
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #705
deranged
okay then

I have already pointed out the claims, including those you are using to support your argument.

Last edited by deranged; March 25th, 2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old March 25th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #706
scotdaliney

Likes (Received): 130

Quote:
Well, driving 500 kms at 110 kph takes about 4.5 hours. At 100 kph, 5 hours, at 90 kph, 5.5 hours. Not that much of a time difference, and given the fact that driving faster requires more concentration, I seriously doubt any real changes. That said, there are some regions of the world (like rural Australia, Canada or northern Sweden)where roads are reasonably quality and so quiet, head-on collisions are exceptionally rare. Thus, higher speed limits makes sense. Still, I'm reluctant to accept higher limits than 100 kph, not least since drivers tend to go a bit over the limit anyway. I also believe that central guardrails might be introduced on main roads in Australia - the Swedes have such systems in place on rural roads with at-grade junctions.
As someone who often has to drive for hours on the Australian country roads, it's that extra concentration at higher speeds that keep you awake, when you get stuck behind a slow truck the mind starts to wonder and fatigue seems to set in much quicker. Thats my experience anyway. Just make sure to slow down if advisory signs suggest it (usually very well signed), some of the curves are harsh with only inches away from very slipper soft shoulders.
Believe me when I say central guard rails are not coming, the distances are huge and most of the roads only JUST have enough room for two vehicles. I still believe 110 min is the safe speed, any less and people will fall asleep.
scotdaliney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #707
ElviS77

Quote:
I have already pointed out the claims, including those you are using to support your argument.
It's perfectly ok not to be interested in this discussion. If you want to contribute, let me know.
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:09 AM   #708
deranged
okay then

I can't see the point in debating if you're not going to back up your claims.
Old March 26th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #709
Cacodemon
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robosteve View Post
I agree, it's all about driving to conditions. I feel safe driving 130 km/h on the Kamilaroi Highway (speed limit 110), but will slow down for corners or if I see an oncoming vehicle or anything else that might make it less safe to drive that speed.
on a road like that, 130 would be the minimum speed I'd be doing
Cacodemon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #710
ElviS77

Quote:
I can't see the point in debating if you're not going to back up your claims.
You've as yet refused to debate anything in this thread. Thus, not a great loss.
Old March 28th, 2009, 04:14 AM   #711
tvdxer

Likes (Received): 130

Minnesota, USA

Rural

Interstate Highways and some other rural highways with more than two lanes (e.g. US-2 north of Duluth): 70 mph (112 kph)

Standard rural "highway" (two lanes): 55 mph (90 kph)

County highways with a lot of houses on them: 35 - 50 mph (~55 kph - 90 kph)

Urban

Freeways (limited access, often multi-lane): between 50 mph and 70 mph (90 kph to 112 kph)

Major city streets: 30-35 mph (around 50 kph), faster in outer areas

Minor city streets (e.g. one lane for parking, one lane for driving): Don't know the limit, but anything above 20-30 mph (35-50 kph) seems unreasonable.
tvdxer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #712
deranged
okay then

Quote:
You've as yet refused to debate anything in this thread.
Incorrect. But I have made it clear why I have not continued to debate.

Last edited by deranged; March 28th, 2009 at 07:19 AM.
Old May 10th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #713
wdw35

Germany no speed limit motorway map

Can anyone please provide a map of the German motorway network showing the sections that are not subject to speed limitations? (Yes, I did do some searching before posting this, albeit not very thorough).

Last edited by wdw35; May 18th, 2011 at 12:28 PM.
wdw35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #714
the_amir

Likes (Received): 3

On this site are some interesting maps of German autobahns:
http://www.autobahnatlas-online.de/Karte_e.htm
Speed limit map is also there.
the_amir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #715
Seppl

Likes (Received): 2

Here is a very good site about the Autobahn in Germany including information about the speed limit.

Patricks Autobahnatlas

The page is in german or in english respectively. On the left side on the top you'll find the link "routes" which will show you all the speed limits for all the motorways.

I hope this map helps.
Seppl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #716
Winston

Ridiculous Speed Limits

Post your photos of ridiculous speed limits here . To start things off, here's some from Australia (where I live).

Minor backroad: 100km/h (~60MPH)

Major highway: 50km/h (~30MPH)

School zone: 80km/h (~50MPH)

Town centre: 60km/h (~40MPH)

Narrow residential street: 60km/h (~40MPH)

Three speed limits in less than 100 metres:

Dirt tracks: speed de-restriction

=)

Last edited by Winston; September 9th, 2009 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Typo
Winston no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #717
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

In the Netherlands speed limits are generally seen as too low. Some villages have a 30 km/h speed limit within the town limits, which is too low IMO. It should be 50 or 60. Furthermore, when the A2 has been widened to 2×5 the speed limit will be 100 km/h. Insane
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #718
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 395

Nice. Like the first one most
bleetz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #719
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

The main problem in the Netherlands is that perfectly good speed limits are downgraded from 100 to 80 and from 80 to 60 "because they don't fit within the system", without actually paying attention to what the road looks like.

60 km/h on straight roads with good vision and cyclists physically separated from traffic is just not realistic.

They always want to lower the traffic fatalities, which is a good thing, but we have now gotten into the field that you have to take unpopular, unrealistic and drastic measures to achieve that, for instance by lowering speed limits, turning every intersection into a roundabout and impose passing bans on straight wide roads.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #720
pijanec

Likes (Received): 6

The speed limit on first picture is nothing special and widely seen on European roads (90 or 100 km/h). Is just general speed limit outside build areas.

Problematic aren't high/general speed limits but speed limits which are set too low.

In general Slovenia have appropriate speed limits. In last years we finally moved away from typical eastern European extremely low and unrealistic speed limits and adopt 90-50-90 system.
pijanec no está en línea   Reply With Quote