daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 9th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #721
MAG
Keep it simple

My pet-hates are:

- 'Let op drempels' (Caution - speed bumps) in the Netherlands, together with a restriction to 50 km/h or less, in places where there is practically infinite visibility and only cows and fields of grass for company. The Dutch extra-urban speed limit of 80 km/h is also out of line with rest of Europe while the 120 km/h autosnelweg limit is only observed by virtue of having capacity traffic near most towns. Where traffic volume is low, everyone drives at 130+ km/h anyway.

- no speed limit on some stretches of the German autobahn network. To me this is lethal! You have to watch your back more than your front in case some Audi/BMW/Merc owner is late for a business meeting and decides to drive at 200+ km/h. Angela Merkel once supported a speed limit of 130 km/h but now she's done a political U-turn and says that the holy 'no speed limit' law will not be abolished on her watch.

- the Polish dual 50/60 km/h urban speed limit. Not only do you have to remember it exists but also you have to remember between what hours it is in force. The Parliament in their infinite wisdom decided that at night the human body is able to withstand a 60 km/h impact with the same consequences as a 50 km/h collision during the day. Nice one, guys!

Drogowskaz Classic

MAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #722
pijanec

Likes (Received): 6

60 km/h during the night is OK. I never see anyone walking around at 2am (except in city centers).
pijanec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #723
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

90km/h in winter(read: from October to April) on expressways in Estonia is too little. A perfect solution would be variable speed limit signs, but that costs money, of course.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #724
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

France has a nice solution: dry = 130 km/h, wet (rain, snow whatever) = 110 km/h.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #725
transport21

Likes (Received): 0

Any national secondary road in Ireland. The speed limit is 100km/hr. Most of them are crap.
Old September 10th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #726
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

On the Toulouse périphérique (freeway/motorway circling around the city), they have lowered the speed limit to only 90 km/h, which is utterly ridiculous in my opinion (it used to be 110 km/h, which was already slow enough). So you arrive from the outer suburbs at 130 km/h on the 6-lane (2x3) toll motorways around Toulouse, and you end up on the 6-lane périphérique where you can drive only 90 km/h.

Other annoying speed limits:
- all the speed limits on US freeways which are too slow and which nobody respects (in LA I was told "don't pay attention to speed limit, just follow the flow")
- the 50 km/h speed limits that come out of nowhere in the Moroccan countryside. Pay great attention, the Moroccan gendarmerie has been equiped with French speed radars, and they love to set up traps in the 50 km/h zones in the middle of desert areas to get you, the tourists, to fork out money (it's a 40 euros fine if you are in excess of just 1 km/h, but you can usually manage to pay less if you give the gendarme some money under the table). I met a Dutch guy who had been caught 6 times in just one week. Personally I was caught only twice in one week. (the first time I paid the official 40 euros fine, the second time I had more "experience" so I only gave 20 euros to the gendarme under the table, and no fine)
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:28 AM   #727
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

In the US only speed limits under 60mph/100kmph are ridiculous, perhaps at high traffic periods it might make sense but other times it doesn't. Speed limits should be adjustable depending on time of day and conditions.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 05:44 AM   #728
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
On the Toulouse périphérique (freeway/motorway circling around the city), they have lowered the speed limit to only 90 km/h, which is utterly ridiculous in my opinion (it used to be 110 km/h, which was already slow enough). So you arrive from the outer suburbs at 130 km/h on the 6-lane (2x3) toll motorways around Toulouse, and you end up on the 6-lane périphérique where you can drive only 90 km/h.

Other annoying speed limits:
- all the speed limits on US freeways which are too slow and which nobody respects (in LA I was told "don't pay attention to speed limit, just follow the flow")
- the 50 km/h speed limits that come out of nowhere in the Moroccan countryside. Pay great attention, the Moroccan gendarmerie has been equiped with French speed radars, and they love to set up traps in the 50 km/h zones in the middle of desert areas to get you, the tourists, to fork out money (it's a 40 euros fine if you are in excess of just 1 km/h, but you can usually manage to pay less if you give the gendarme some money under the table). I met a Dutch guy who had been caught 6 times in just one week. Personally I was caught only twice in one week. (the first time I paid the official 40 euros fine, the second time I had more "experience" so I only gave 20 euros to the gendarme under the table, and no fine)
Its mean 55mph like that on Baltimore's beltway since forever, but nobody pays attention to it. You could easily do up to 75-80 mph on it except in some sharp turns.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #729
pijanec

Quote:
Pay great attention, the Moroccan gendarmerie has been equiped with French speed radars
How do those French speed radars look like?
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #730
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
In the US only speed limits under 60mph/100kmph are ridiculous, perhaps at high traffic periods it might make sense but other times it doesn't. Speed limits should be adjustable depending on time of day and conditions.
What about 65 mph in all of Illinois? Imagine driving I-57 all the way with a sleeping 65 mph
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #731
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
90km/h in winter(read: from October to April) on expressways in Estonia is too little. A perfect solution would be variable speed limit signs, but that costs money, of course.
In addition, the projected Tallinn ringroad(which will have 2x2 lanes with SOS-lanes and no at-grade junctions) will have a speed limit of 90km/h(!!!), because
They claim it's a populated area. It makes me laugh because most of the time the route goes through fields and forests. The ringroad will even have an ecoduct.

Which also upsets me in Estonia, is that we don't bother to put extra speed limit signs on rural roads. Which means that a dirt road with a 90km/h speed limit can have sharp, blind 90-degree turns which are trouble already at 60km/h.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #732
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pijanec View Post
How do those French speed radars look like?
They are hand speed radars. They look like cameras. The Moroccan gendarmes usually hide behind bushes, or at the turn of the road, hold their speed cameras at shoulder height, and wait for a speeding driver. They usually hide in places where they are sure people will be speeding (the second time I was caught, it was at the end of a long slope coming down from a mountain; suddenly at the bottom of the mountain there was a 50 km/h sign; it's just impossible to slow down to 50 km/h in 2 seconds when you've been going downwards for so many kilometers; the gendarme hid just after the 50 km/h sign because he knew it was nearly impossible to be respecting the speed limit there, so he knew he could catch everybody, and make lots of money under the table; I hate those kind of traps on Moroccan roads).

That's the kind of French speed cameras they use (I was told France offered the speed cameras to them 3 or 4 years ago):
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #733
wdw35

Quote:
Pay great attention, the Moroccan gendarmerie has been equiped with French speed radars, and they love to set up traps in the 50 km/h zones in the middle of desert areas to get you, the tourists, to fork out money (it's a 40 euros fine if you are in excess of just 1 km/h, but you can usually manage to pay less if you give the gendarme some money under the table). I met a Dutch guy who had been caught 6 times in just one week. Personally I was caught only twice in one week. (the first time I paid the official 40 euros fine, the second time I had more "experience" so I only gave 20 euros to the gendarme under the table, and no fine)
It sucks to have people that support corruption on this forum.
wdw35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #734
pijanec

We all know that in developing countries they put speed limit signs intentionally on places where a lot of money will be generated, especially from tourists.
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #735
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2648

Quote:
They usually hide in places where they are sure people will be speeding (the second time I was caught, it was at the end of a long slope coming down from a mountain; suddenly at the bottom of the mountain there was a 50 km/h sign; it's just impossible to slow down to 50 km/h in 2 seconds when you've been going downwards for so many kilometers; the gendarme hid just after the 50 km/h sign because he knew it was nearly impossible to be respecting the speed limit there, so he knew he could catch everybody, and make lots of money under the table; I hate those kind of traps on Moroccan roads).
They do the same on Spain

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #736
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Likes (Received): 3519

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What about 65 mph in all of Illinois? Imagine driving I-57 all the way with a sleeping 65 mph
I-15 2x2 between LA and Vegas has 65 and it's boring, but I guess that the old cracked concrete with metal studs for lane markers and windblown grit don't encourange driving much faster...the US must also take care of road conditions on a continent basisi...
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #737
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aokromes View Post
They do the same on Spain
I've driven in Spain, I've driven in Morocco. There is simply no comparison possible.
Old September 11th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #738
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
I don't understand the speed limit I saw on Interstate 95 in Miami....55mph almost halfway to Ft. Lauderdale it seemed. I was averaging 80 while people were still passing me.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #739
Red-Lion

In norway:

speed limit = 60 even with good traffic lighting, separated driving lines, own bicycle roads,
while on narrow, humpy and swining roads are 80km/h... also 60km/h through the automated tollboots on the motorways even though there is not technical need for the speed reduction. Police even stands here and fines or jail people.

That is very typical for Norway.

No logic between road standard and traffic vs speed limits
Red-Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 02:24 AM   #740
shpirtkosova
BANNED

In Kosovo a speed limit of 35km/h is quite common in sharp bends and narrow roads... There is one in my village ... Not as unusual in the US but in Europe it can be very unusual to not have a speed limit ending with 0.
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote