daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 27th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #61
Salif

Likes (Received): 337

Speed limits in the UK are often overly strict, many good standard roads which have 30mph speed limits when they can take double that safely.

I don't think there should be speed limits on good quality inter-urban roads in the UK. Maybe advisory limits along the following lines:

Motorways (three lanes)..........................................140km/h
Motorways (two lanes) and A roads (dual carriageway)..120km/h
A roads (single carriageway).....................................100km/h
Other inter-urban roads.............................................80km/h
Urban roads...............................................70km/h & 50km/h
Other urban roads....................................................30km/h

Oh and I'm advocating kilometres instead of miles.
Salif no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #62
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Well I guess in a strict sense US routes are called highways, not freeways, though the term is used pretty much interchangeably. I have to admit I've never been through the truly rural roads around the states, but I'm pretty sure its not that low, especially through areas with no people.

The US 101, out of the urban areas, have a speed limit of 70 mph in California in places (112 km/h)

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #63
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
Well I guess in a strict sense US routes are called highways, not freeways, though the term is used pretty much interchangeably. I have to admit I've never been through the truly rural roads around the states, but I'm pretty sure its not that low, especially through areas with no people.

The US 101, out of the urban areas, have a speed limit of 70 mph in California in places (112 km/h)
In Texas, two-lane roads with little to no shoulder have speed limits of 75 mph (120 km/h) in very sparsely populated areas.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #64
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Likes (Received): 1046

Quote:
I'm just glad they dont have speed cameras here in America yet... I hear horror stories about Britain... =/
Oh, they have them in some places. There's some on I-25 in Colorado that I drive by. But they're not really cameras, more like detectors.

AR AT BE BG BR CA CH CZ DE DK EE ES FI FR HR HU IE IT LT LU LV NL PL RO RS SE SI SK TR UA UK US UY
Czas na Żywiec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:48 PM   #65
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

In Estonia the speed limit on a 1'st class road is 110km/h, but most of the cars drive at about 115-120km/h....On main roads the speed limit is 100km/h(in summer), but again, most of the cars drive over that, at about 105-110km/h.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 03:55 AM   #66
MSP

Likes (Received): 1

Here's a map of the US speed limits(mph) by state as of 2002. Texas has raised their limit to 80mph on some roads since then.
MSP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:45 AM   #67
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

On the 401 in Eastern Ontario, so east of Port Hope the average speed I found was anywhere between 130 and 140. The 403 between Hamilton and Burlington, the average speed is around 125-130. The 401 through Toronto depending on time of day, so not rush hour, the average speed is around 120-130. In many cases the cops will not pull you over unless you are doing well in excess of the limit, or you're on city streets doing at least 15 over.
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #68
djrules5454

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoago View Post
Yeah, the interstates pull the whole nation together --- but most highways are just state or federal highways built LONG ago.

It gets complicated for people from other countries because we have FIFTY states that are basically building and maintaining their own highways by themselves. It's like having 50 little countries in control of their own roads except for the actual interstates. You get general cooperation at the borders on where roads should go, splitting the cost of bridges over rivers that divide states - but otherwise each states highways operate internally more than having the whole country in mind. That's what interstates are for.
The interstates are state managed, just not state planned. The federal government only maintains and builds the highways marked with a U.S. Highway route marker. In fact, here is a chart of what road type is managed by which government level (ie: Federal, State, County, City/town/township):

Federal Government: All highways marked with a U.S. highway marker.

State Government: All highways marked with that state's highway marker and the Interstate highways within that state's borders.

County Government: All highways marked with a county highway marker.

City/Town/Township Government: All roads not marked with a highway marker of any sort within the municipality's borders.

A higher level can leave maintenance of any marked highway to a lower level, and vice versa, if maintenance is better suited to that level of government.
djrules5454 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:12 AM   #69
ADCS
Kickin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrules5454 View Post
The interstates are state managed, just not state planned. The federal government only maintains and builds the highways marked with a U.S. Highway route marker. In fact, here is a chart of what road type is managed by which government level (ie: Federal, State, County, City/town/township):

Federal Government: All highways marked with a U.S. highway marker.

State Government: All highways marked with that state's highway marker and the Interstate highways within that state's borders.

County Government: All highways marked with a county highway marker.

City/Town/Township Government: All roads not marked with a highway marker of any sort within the municipality's borders.

A higher level can leave maintenance of any marked highway to a lower level, and vice versa, if maintenance is better suited to that level of government.
Actually, a U.S. Highway is maintained exactly the same as a state highway. The system was merely an overlay on already existing or planned state highways to provide a means of identifying consistent, high-quality roads, similar to the E-Route system of today. It is not a closed system into itself, like the Interstate Highway System.
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:53 AM   #70
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

what he says is true.

Anyway, just came back from school today, I did about 85, traffic permitting, I guess I drive pretty fast? or other people just drive slow

Old February 28th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #71
Fern

Likes (Received): 1938

Quote:
I'm just glad they dont have speed cameras here in America yet... I hear horror stories about Britain... =/
They've just been introduced in Portugal. If drivers abide by the rules there's nothing to fear.
Motorways- 120kms/h
Freeways- 100kms/h
One lane highways- 90kms/h
50kms/h for all other roads (streets, avenues, etc.)
Fern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #72
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
They've just been introduced in Portugal. If drivers abide by the rules there's nothing to fear.
Motorways- 120kms/h
Freeways- 100kms/h
For only places that speed cameras enforce. Speed cameras are worthless in stopping people from speeding IMO.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #73
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Quote:
Motorways- 120kms/h
Freeways- 100kms/h
Well, that's the point, and the stories I hear from Britain, that no one can drive fast anymore. For some of us, its something enjoyable, eh?

Frankly, 120km/h is slow... (though faster than the 65 mph speed limit here...)

Old February 28th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #74
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Most rural, open interstates have average speeds of around 120-135KM
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #75
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoago View Post
Most rural, open interstates have average speeds of around 120-135KM
Only Texas has speed limits over 120km/h, so i definatly won't call it a average speed.
But i can surely imagine people drive such speeds. You don't wanna fell asleep driving the I-40 through Arizona
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #76
ADCS
Kickin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Only Texas has speed limits over 120km/h, so i definatly won't call it a average speed.
But i can surely imagine people drive such speeds. You don't wanna fell asleep driving the I-40 through Arizona
Not speed limit wise, but in practice, people usually go 75-85mph regardless of the posted limit. I think that's what he was trying to say.
Old March 1st, 2007, 04:46 AM   #77
Fern

Likes (Received): 1938

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
For only places that speed cameras enforce. Speed cameras are worthless in stopping people from speeding IMO.
I cannot agree. In just two months 130 thousand ppl were caught speeding by the portuguese radars. The fines are heavy, reaching up to €2500, and I'm sure most of them cannot afford to make the same mistake twice.
Quote:
Well, that's the point, and the stories I hear from Britain, that no one can drive fast anymore. For some of us, its something enjoyable, eh?

Frankly, 120km/h is slow... (though faster than the 65 mph speed limit here...)
The thing is the faster you go the more serious a potencial accident is likely to be. Sometimes drivers thing they're good and they can go faster but when the unexpected happens they're absolutely powerless. I have a friend whose mates were good drivers and rolled around in fast cars, but one day what could have been a small accident turned into their death sentence because they were driving at twice the speed limit!
Fern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 05:38 AM   #78
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
People in non-urban areas always go faster than the 105-112 speed limit. If I were to drive the limit across Illinois and Iowa, I would be going noticibly slower than almost all other cars out there.
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 05:58 AM   #79
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

IMO, if government were serious about saving more lives from speeding, they would require all driving schools to educate and train new drivers at higher speeds. With cars becoming more and more powerful, why not train them, and increase the speed limits? Speeding increasing the chances of you being killed in driving, but isn't driving more dangerous and risky when traveling at speeds higher than 50mph/80kmh?
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 06:04 AM   #80
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Quote:
The thing is the faster you go the more serious a potencial accident is likely to be. Sometimes drivers thing they're good and they can go faster but when the unexpected happens they're absolutely powerless. I have a friend whose mates were good drivers and rolled around in fast cars, but one day what could have been a small accident turned into their death sentence because they were driving at twice the speed limit!
Yea, I understand why they do it, people say the energy involved in an accident is exponential compared to the speed (1/2 mv^2), and everything happens at a faster rate, plus your car is closer to the limit of its performance envelope, that's why you keep very alert when you drive fast, and only do it when there's very little traffic. Insensible driving and fast driving are not necessarily the same thing, and no doubt that's why the speed limits are the way they are.