daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #821
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 790

I think one of the best plans I heard on this toppic is the plan in Italy:

This is normal:
130 on Autostrada (motorway)
110 on Superstrada (Lower standard motorways/dual carriageway)

Pilot with the following exception
150 on Autostrada with 3 or more lanes, where it is reasonable (straigth stretches), not on mountain climbing lanes.

The only thing I can't remember is the fact if they ever continued with this plan

I think this brings the best of both worlds, a higher speed limit where possible an d a reasonable limit on the other stretchtes!

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #822
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

I think 130km/h is actually a pretty reasonable speed limit on motorways but it could be a bit higher in good conditions. You won't win much when going faster than 130. You'll burn a lot more fuel, create more noise, more pollution, the difference in speed between trucks(and slower vehicles) and cars will increase, hence decreasing road safety etc.
One can be a great driver and know his/her limits when driving fast but other drivers can't possibly know that one is driving at such high speed.

One example: a year or so ago, there was an accident in Tallinn where a man, who drove from one side street to another while crossing the main street, was crashed into by a guy driving (at least) 140km/h in a 70km/h zone. Who's guilty? The guy going 140km/h or the man who should've given way to the car coming from the main street? Well, the court decided that speeding ,in this case, was the main cause of the accident and the guy was punished. The other driver was lethally injured in the accident...

Imagine a similar situation when one is overtaking a truck at 110km/h with a Smart, for example, and the other is coming from the back with an s-class Mercedes going at 250km/h.... That's why the have speed limits on pit lanes in motosport.

The roads are for everybody and it's all about making a compromise. If you want to take you car to the limit, take it to a race track.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 05:25 AM   #823
verum

Likes (Received): 0

Here's a copy of something I posted on the USA Interstates thread a day or two ago. Please enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verum View Post
I know that the design speeds of some of the urban Interstates are super-low, and for the amount of traffic they handle a lack of a speed cap (Autobahn-like) would be a disaster. But for some of the rural interstates, especially out in the desert, even a speed limit of 120 (75 mph) seems unreasonable. In my opinion, the speed limits could be safely removed along some stretches of the Interstate system. Take the stretch of the 8 from El Centro to Yuma, for example. The highest speed limit along it, on the Californian side at least, is 110 (70 mph)!

Look at this picture: straight, flat, wide, and well-paved. A real American Autobahn, all that they need to do is knock down the speed limit signs.

That stretch of the 8 I mentioned:
verum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #824
1000city
DISCO VOLANTE

Likes (Received): 4192

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw35 View Post
So I was quietly going at ~ 150, and then two white vans (from Belgium) overtook me. I slowly accelerated to keep up with them (as they were providing cover from potential cops). The vans were going 180 km/h
Once in ex. DDR I was doing 160, reasonable and quite comfortable speed at this place and moment (my car's V-max is 180). Then the Mercedes Sprinter Maxi appeared in my mirror and overtook me. I accelerated to 170, but couldn't keep up. It was doing 180 (on the clock), no less. Those modern vans are damn fast

As for me highways shouldn't have speed limits. But considering other drivers, ecological issues etc. I think the most reasonable would be 160 on 2x2 and 180 on 3x3. From what I've seen in Germany few people go faster, as these speeds are comfortable and safe. Going faster is fun, but may be dangerous in regular traffic, as speed difference between slow and fast lane gets too big. My record is 200 in Fiat Barchetta and Porsche Cayman in low traffic and it's nothing breathtaking, but a bit dangerous and inconvenient in regular conditions.
1000city no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #825
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

My proposal;

no speed limit;
rural 2x2 motorways with <50,000 AADT
rural 2x3 motorways with <90,000 AADT and less than 20,000 trucks

speed limit;
motorways: 130 km/h
expressways: 110 km/h
rural: 90 km/h
urban: 50 km/h (occasionally 70 and 30 km/h)
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #826
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Likes (Received): 548

i say wrong. there are some areas on the autobahn i drive with 120, 130 and even 100 km/h speed limit and that is often too slow i have to say. of course as faster you go as more potential risk you have, but you should always pay attention to the street and traffic whats going around.

And i say speeding with more than 200 km/h like 220, 230, 250, 260 and more km/h can be safe when there is almost no car sharing the lanes with you.

But speaking of Speed limits. the reality in germany imo is that only few people doing more than 180 km/h.

And during rush hour you often doing between 90 and 110 maybe 120 km/h, even on the left "fast" lane.

When speed limit than on city-motorways or withing tracks with high accident rates.

But i still say, general speed limit WRONG.

*edit* just for the lulz :P

Last edited by Dr.Mabuse; April 10th, 2010 at 01:27 AM.
Dr.Mabuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 06:49 AM   #827
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
My proposal;

no speed limit;
rural 2x2 motorways with <50,000 AADT
rural 2x3 motorways with <90,000 AADT and less than 20,000 trucks

speed limit;
motorways: 130 km/h
expressways: 110 km/h
rural: 90 km/h
urban: 50 km/h (occasionally 70 and 30 km/h)
For the US I'd propose..

Rural Interstates 75mph for somewhat heavily traveled ones and up to 90-100mph on fairly empty ones.(Sorry I can't support no speed limits with how stupid people can be.)
Rural Highways 2x1: 55mph to 65mph
Rural Highways 2x2: 60-65mph
Urban Highways: 65-75mph
Expressways: 60-75mph
Urban Roads
2x1: 25-40mph
2z2: 35-50mph
2x3: 45-50mph
Suburban Roads
2x1: 30-40mph
2z2: 45-55mph
2x3: 50-60mph
2x4: 55-65mph
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 06:54 AM   #828
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4248

Yes, nobody should go faster than 200 km/h. That is where it gets dangerous and uncontrollable. Not everybody has Porsche or Mercedes and some people will drive 200km/h with their volkswagen golf or tuned van. Really dangerous.

A speed limit of 180km/h is quite resonable for me.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 04:06 AM   #829
Skyway727
A State of Trance

It's not really even what kind of car people have rather their driving skills, car maintenance, and how much they pay attention.
Skyway727 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 05:12 AM   #830
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway727 View Post
It's not really even what kind of car people have rather their driving skills, car maintenance, and how much they pay attention.
Of course it is a huge difference.

Driving 200km/h with large Mercedes or BMW is relaxed cruising but driving the same speed with a Van or small car requires much more attention because you are pretty much at the cars limit. This becomes especially relvant during emergency situations. The larger cars are designed for such and even higher speeds and are controllable even under adverse conditions.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 05:16 AM   #831
Morjo

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
Of course it is a huge difference.

Driving 200km/h with large Mercedes or BMW is relaxed cruising but driving the same speed with a Van or small car requires much more attention because you are pretty much at the cars limit. This becomes especially relvant during emergency situations. The larger cars are designed for such and even higher speeds and are controllable even under adverse conditions.
The Mercedes vans mentioned in this thread seem to cope ok at high speeds, so I want one
Morjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 05:24 AM   #832
Oslo 5

Sorry to say, but there are many reason for speed limits

To have no speed limits on an interstate as this would not have been safe at all. It should have been elementary physics, but it seems to be not commonly understood, not even on forums as this where on should think that people had some basic knowledge about roads and road safety. One major problem is that the human body don’t survives a crash and sudden stop in more than 70km/h. If you crash at higher speeds and this result in a sudden stop, your internal organs will be torn to pieces regardless of any safety equipment in the car, and you will die of internal bleedings even if you crash right outside a hospital. To prevent such a sudden stop, the side of the road has to be designed to and kept at a very high safety standard which is not the case in this example. And still there will be the problem of rear end collisions which is extremely dangerous when the speed difference is high, ghost riders, potholes, oil spills and so on.

The days of no speed limits are numbered, and the concept is just as sane as not using seatbelts
Oslo 5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 05:54 AM   #833
Morjo

Likes (Received): 49

There are similar dual highways and motorways in rural Australia and on the outskirts of our major cities very similar to that. The speed limit on them is 100-110kmh. I think if the limit were to be increased the road needs to be upgraded, and the number one factor is introducing crash barriers.

You make a very valid point about open speed limits.
Morjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #834
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Likes (Received): 548

Interessting Subject

Jerks actually reduce the risk of traffic jams

http://physicsbuzz.physicscentral.co...f-traffic.html

The next time someone cuts you off on your morning commute, don't be so quick to call the driver a jerk; you may have a reason to say thanks.
Dr.Mabuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 04:07 AM   #835
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
Yes, nobody should go faster than 200 km/h. That is where it gets dangerous and uncontrollable. Not everybody has Porsche or Mercedes and some people will drive 200km/h with their volkswagen golf or tuned van. Really dangerous.

A speed limit of 180km/h is quite resonable for me.
Very interesting you say that, I have actually been on a Volskwagon and the person driving was going 200km/h and it really felt unsafe (BTW this was in Germany so perfectly legal). Speed limits are there for a reason in most parts of the world. Sadly there is no limit on how stupid people can be on the road.
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #836
Chrissib
Margela Schurkel

Likes (Received): 13186

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirtkosova View Post
Very interesting you say that, I have actually been on a Volskwagon and the person driving was going 200km/h and it really felt unsafe (BTW this was in Germany so perfectly legal). Speed limits are there for a reason in most parts of the world. Sadly there is no limit on how stupid people can be on the road.
Yes. usually I drive around 170-180 with our Volkswagen, it's a good speed.
Chrissib está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 04:05 AM   #837
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissib View Post
Yes. usually I drive around 170-180 with our Volkswagen, it's a good speed.
I think nightime maybe but a normal busy highway 170-170kmh is dangerous in my book.
Old April 29th, 2010, 04:22 AM   #838
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

I think speed limits is good at the motorways. I think they should have that in Germany too. Maybe we should have a European standard of speed limits. Thats means the speed limits could be higher in Sweden at some motorways in the countryside and in the forests. And a little bit slower in Germany.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 04:26 AM   #839
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
I think speed limits is good at the motorways. I think they should have that in Germany too. Maybe we should have a European standard of speed limits. Thats means the speed limits could be higher in Sweden at some motorways in the countryside and in the forests. And a little bit slower in Germany.
Speed limits are usually calculated by lane width, condition and the size of bends, it cannot be possible as motorways themselves are not designed or built up to a "european standard".
Old April 29th, 2010, 04:35 AM   #840
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

I think that a reasonable speed limit would be 130-140kmh. It would be a big improvement from the 100kmh speed limit in Ontario. The flow though at many times is anywhere from 120 to 130. The police here are very lenient for the most part. So long you are doing within 20 kmh or not travelling faster than flow of the limit you are good.
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote