daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:25 PM   #881
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Really? I'd expect there to be lighter-traveled stretches in, say, the northern Great Plains....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:40 PM   #882
Ingsoc75

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I believe Maine just decided to establish 75 as the speed limit on the lightly-traveled northern reaches of I-95 (from a bit north of Bangor to the Canadian border).

There may be a post in the Interstates thread.
I think the governor just signed it into law this week and it will take effect 90 days from now. Maine will be the first state east of the Mississipi river to have a speed limit higher than 70 mph since 1973.
Ingsoc75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 07:18 PM   #883
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 233

Anyone wanna comment about Japan. Some say the national speed limit is 100 km/h? Is this true and can anyone confirm?

AFAIK, the Bayshore Route (aka. 湾岸線 or Wangan Line) has a speed limit of 80 km/h.

Wow, that's so damn slow. Are most of the drivers plying that route composed mainly of senior citizens?

If I were to drive a vehicle along the Wangan Line or even to the Kanagawa section such as K1 Yokohane or K3 Kariba, then why the hell would I drive so slow.

120-140 km/h is more like it.

Heck, most cars in Japan (at least for Japanese local-made cars with JDM spec) have a max of 180 km/h on the speedometer anyways (inclusive of speed limiter to 180 km/h).

So why would I want to limit myself even further (to such extreme lows like 80 km/h)?
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:35 PM   #884
alserrod
Bienvenue Ó Saragosse

At Spain near Teruel, direction Valencia there is a 80 km/h restriction if rain.

Generalist restriction is 120 km/h but if rains it becomes 80 km/h.

It is very important to follow it... when highway under construction, asfalt is made with different components, one of them sands taken usually on the ground they are building new highway.

It is very unusual but it is possible to have a mix that makes asfalt very poor as impermeable... and for 5 km this is one of those cases.
Until asfalt is put on new highway you do not know the results... and this highway was opened just before the crisis.

So then... for 5 km, limit to 80 km/h that I would recommend to follow anyone. If no rain, 120 km/h (and as well as it is not alloweb, you can drive faster...) but if rain it is very dangerous to drive faster than 80 in those 5 km because pools on highway.

(JosÚ A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #885
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingsoc75 View Post
I just found this site and thought I'd revive the conversation on speed limits.

In Texas, the speed limit is 75 mph (120 kph) on some two lane roads.

From 1995 to 1999, Montana's Reasonable and Prudent speed limit.
Those night limits and truck limits are going away soon.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #886
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

On the TX photo, it appears to be a very substandard exit from the highway to the frontage country road.
Old July 4th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #887
Bzyq_74

Likes (Received): 253

Highway speedlimit in Poland 140 (A6 near Szczecin). Look nice.

Bzyq_74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #888
Ingsoc75

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
Those night limits and truck limits are going away soon.
True. They may have the authority to keep them on some roads where a truck speed limit and night speed is determined necessary.
Ingsoc75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #889
Perun

Likes (Received): 162

Speed limits in Poland

Perun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 04:34 AM   #890
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Curve sign in Australia- 100 advised.

Around here, 100 is the maximum speed allowed. Bleh!

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 04:41 AM   #891
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17485

Brazilian model

Last edited by xrtn2; July 6th, 2011 at 04:56 AM.
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #892
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

ADD Moment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdly_dood View Post

I actually think that cop car above is from Madison, Wisconsin.
It is.....
This photo taken was on University Ave in Madison, WI, near Hilldale Mall and right in front of the entrance to Target.
End ADD moment....continue on w/ topic.....

Last edited by brewerfan386; July 7th, 2011 at 06:22 AM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 02:15 AM   #893
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Unusual general-speed-limit sign in Switzerland:

http://maps.google.ch/?ll=46.190066,...,305.4,,0,5.12
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #894
alserrod
Bienvenue Ó Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompaw View Post
I've never seen a police car on toll parts of AP-7 in Costa del Sol.

If everyone respected the 120 speed limit, what would be the point of using the toll road? Parallel A-7 lets you go 100-120 for most of the time, so you wouldn't gain much. The autopista is pretty much empty anyway, for 4 weeks I've never seen a queue at the toll plazas. Put some police cars there enforcing the 120 speed limit, and it's dead.

Police cars can be hidden after a bridge or somtimes, as a normal car in an entrance... but with the radar set on!!!!!

In this year, the last thing has been set is "strecht radar". This is... until now, a radar takes your speed at a point. If it is higher.. penalty. If you push brakes to pass from 180 to 120 just before radar... no penalty and later you can go 180 again.

A Strecht radar takes your plate and hour you enter there... and when you exit the strecht.
They take the average speed. If, for example maximum allowed is 120, you can be driving 110, 130... but average is 120. OK then. But if for 5 or 10 km you have been on 140-160-180 (or higher)... penalty can be very hard.
Because they do not take an instance but an average...
And they makes drivers to respect the limit not only in a exactly point but in a strecht of some kilometres.

Police can never appear for traffic controls (be sure that in august at coast they appear) but they can be absolute hided!!!!

And... anyway, appart of if a motorway "invites" to run faster... I remember that traffic is the main problem of death at Spain...

Old July 9th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #895
tompaw

Likes (Received): 1

I totally agree these methods should be used on A-7. But my point was different - I think if they force people to obey speed limits on AP-7, they will stop using it (and it's already pretty empty). What is the point of paying the toll if you can get to your destination in similar time for free?
tompaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #896
alserrod
Bienvenue Ó Saragosse

The point of view is upside-down... and "thanks" to a fatal motoway construction planning.

Toll motorways are private. They have a licence to built them and operate for any years (usually 50) and later will come back to state.

Problem is when you have a toll that most of people who drives there everyday want to pay and no truck will use (it is very expensive for trucks and there is just little benefit).

So then... State has been building "some" (not all, just some) highways paralel to toll motorways... just only because traffic was very intense.

About if motorway is empty and there is no problem to drive faster... think than any problem on the road (any part of a car that crashed, any congestion later and you do not see in advance, anything enters on the motorway or just a car that goes 120 and gets the left lane to pass a bus... can be dangerous for someone faster...)

This is why restriction is restriction... and applies too on toll motorways.
Paying toll allows to use the motorway, just only that... it do not give a licence to go as faster as you can.

And according on speed you have, should you are taken by police, you can go through prison inmediately and your car blocked.

(and there have been cases already!!)

Old July 10th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #897
tompaw

Likes (Received): 1

And yet at the same time they have to keep the income flow on the toll road... I'm only saying if there was a speed limit enforced, most people would choose free alternative.

Interestingly, in the last 3 days there were accidents on A-7 every day in a row (all of them with german cars, but I'm sure it's just a bad luck). Today, when I was driving from Marbella to Fuengirola, I noticed ALL the speed limits have been changed to 80.
tompaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #898
alserrod
Bienvenue Ó Saragosse

As I said, A-7 in that area is horrible... and there is a plan to update some old free motorways.
First ones free opened in the early 90s were just a doble lane of the old road.

Near of my home, on the A-2 there is FULL update of it. They are two years of bad traffic, but it will update it as a "normal motorway".

I think the worst highway is the A-4 just entering Andalucia (have a look at Google street view) because they used the old road 100% and made a new one for the opposite sense of driving. Thanks that a new modern motorway is been in construction there and very advanced.

Most, but not all highways, motorways, etc at Spain have 120 km/h limit... but there are some restrictions.

On the toll motorways it happens similar... There are very rare cases where speed limit is not 120 km/h but... there are someones depending on the zone.

And... 120 km/h is the speed limit since 1st July. Between March and June it was restricted to 110... and anyone driving 180 is similar as 193 today...

Old July 21st, 2011, 05:17 PM   #899
Xorcist

Likes (Received): 408

no speedlimit in germany...so why not driving 310kmh (192mph)...

http://youtu.be/yEwCh4_ClMs
Xorcist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 02:15 AM   #900
Escher

Likes (Received): 25

I was always against different speed limits for different lanes on freeways. But I definitely saw I was right after seeing this in Argentina:

Who the hell will process al this crap in a matter of seconds on a multilane freeway??
Escher no está en línea   Reply With Quote