daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 02:45 AM   #901
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

So if you wanna drive more than 120 km/h, you have to clog up the leftmost lane (possibly with 121 km/h).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:42 AM   #902
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

they should write minimun speed too!!!.

You can go slow in the right and seems you are OK

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 02:27 PM   #903
Ingsoc75

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorcist View Post
no speedlimit in germany...so why not driving 310kmh (192mph)...

http://youtu.be/yEwCh4_ClMs
The driver should clean the windshield better.
Ingsoc75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 03:53 PM   #904
Escher

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
So if you wanna drive more than 120 km/h, you have to clog up the leftmost lane (possibly with 121 km/h).
The problem I see on different speed limits like this is that it precludes a continuous flow of the thru traffic, a key factor of safety concerning high speed roads.

Another issue is that in case of speed traps present, even the driver who chooses to drive slower will often choose a higher speed lane. It´s VERY VERY common here in Brazil, commonly resulting on left lanes full and right lanes empty!!
Escher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 05:45 PM   #905
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

I got a question that might fit this thread. In some lands like Czech rep. and the Netherlands, Germany, etc. are signs other then zone signs automatically considered cancelled after first intersection. Thus if you drive on a road with speed limit 70 km/h and the overall outside the city limit is 90 km/h and you come to a intersection, then if there is no sign after the crossing you are free to go back to 90 km/h. (motorway interchange is considered an intersection also in this case).

I wonder how is this rule around the world. I guess in Austria the sign stays valid all the way till another sign cancels it. How is it elswhere?

Last edited by Surel; July 22nd, 2011 at 05:57 PM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:55 PM   #906
jeremiash

Likes (Received): 74

In poland speed limits are cancelled by intersections, and I believe it makes sense. Say two roads with different speed limits cross, and someone turns from one of them into the other. Even if intersections wouldnt cancel speed limits, a speed limit sign would have to be repeated after the intersection so that the turning driver knows how fast he can go. So what you get, effectively, is the need to repeat speed limits after intersections which works exactly as though intersections cancelled the limits.
jeremiash no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:24 PM   #907
bogdymol
bogdymod

Same in Romania: speed limits are canceled at first intersection (but I think that this applies only inside towns, not in rural areas - I'm not really sure).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:38 PM   #908
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

In the Netherlands speed limits are only canceled after the next intersection if 1) it's a different speed limit than the general non-urban or urban speed limit (say 70 km/h inside urban areas or 100 km/h on motorways) and 2) if the non-general speed limit is not repeated. So if there is a 70 km/h road inside an urban area with traffic lights, the 70 km/h sign has to be repeated after every traffic light. The same goes for a 100 km/h speed limit on motorways, it has to be repeated after every interchange.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:19 PM   #909
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
In the Netherlands speed limits are only canceled after the next intersection if 1) it's a different speed limit than the general non-urban or urban speed limit (say 70 km/h inside urban areas or 100 km/h on motorways) and 2) if the non-general speed limit is not repeated. So if there is a 70 km/h road inside an urban area with traffic lights, the 70 km/h sign has to be repeated after every traffic light. The same goes for a 100 km/h speed limit on motorways, it has to be repeated after every interchange.
I don't know if this is the official Dutch explanation or not, but your whole post doesn't make sense, Chris.

1) Of course a speed limit is cancelled after the next intersection only if it's non-general. Why would a general speed limit be cancelled? That would mean no speed limit at all.

2) Why would a repeated non-general speed limit be cancelled? Isn't that why it was repeated and a speed-limit sign erected?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #910
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Reminder signs are good. They are lacking this in the UK, which copped me a few times receiving penalties in my mailbox. Especially the Lincolnshire Police are arseholes for that. I am in favour of the French style reminder signs, with Rappel written underneath. You can't really go wrong then... I find that tiny little detail really helpful!
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #911
Falusi
hanzi13

Likes (Received): 192

In Austria speed limits aren't cancelled neither by intersections nor by town borders unless there is a cancelling sign. It took about 10 min to discover this while driving there (I wondered why were there cancelling signs after intersections, but then I saw that on cross roads the speed limit of the other highway is marked with two-directional arrows)

Highways clinched by me
A AND BIH C CH CZ D E F FL GR H HKJ HR I MC MK RO PL SK SLO SRB T UAE
doing MSc in Mechanical Engineering
Falusi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #912
tompaw

Likes (Received): 1

Isn't this canceling of limits a part of Vienna Convention?
tompaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #913
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

In Canada there is no such automatic cancellation at intersections. Speed limits apply until a different sign is encountered (there are no cancellation signs here either, like the European white circle with a black line). It indeed sometimes makes it unclear what the speed limit is on a road one turns to, although the signs are quite frequent.
Old July 30th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #914
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5836

I wish they had this in the USA. The #1 thing that drives me craziest on US roads is that people here drive parallel to each other as if they are holding hands. Even if you have five lanes of traffic there will be five cars side by side driving the same exact speed, many times below the speed limit, and you can't flash them to get out of the way because they won't.

Almost everyday I drive, especially on two lane roads, I get stuck behind these kind of people driving as much as ten miles under the limit and you can't pass them, while the road ahead of them is empty and behind them there is a cluster. Having different limits for each lane would solve this problem and I wish it was applied in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher View Post
I was always against different speed limits for different lanes on freeways. But I definitely saw I was right after seeing this in Argentina:

Who the hell will process al this crap in a matter of seconds on a multilane freeway??
Old July 30th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #915
kubam4a1

Likes (Received): 6

If your Highway Code would require driving to the right whenever possible and using the inner lane for overtaking and driving with a way that doesn't handicap others and the authority would be capable of effective enforcement, that wouldn't be required.

I think the AutobahnPolizei in Germany would take guys you describe (at least the left one) for affecting the traffic flow even if both broke no other laws.
In Poland such ways of behavior start to disappear, a few years ago it was a bit more often, someone nervous would eventually flash them out being i.e. 20 m behind them or less at 90 km/h and honking (that includes vans) but this is absolutely not good nor recommended
Old August 25th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #916
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 847

A major highway has different speed limits for each lane. I wonder what the advantage and disadvantages for this.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #917
bogdymol
bogdymod

Many drivers would drive just on the left-most lane just to drive legaly with 130 km/h.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 05:41 AM   #918
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

Here in Spain it isn't strange to find someone driving on the left, but when you approach at a higher speed they move to the right almost always without making you brake.

If not, flashing or turning on the left indicator works 70% of times during daytime and 100% during the night (invented stadistic haha).

Honking is not allowed unless for avoid accidents (althought it might work if they aren't looking backwards).
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #919
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5836

Absolutely DOES NOT work in the USA. People here mostly refuse to get our of the way, because the mentality is "I have the right to drive as I feel". If you flash them they will ignore you, or even slam their brakes, but NEVER change lanes. It's beyond ridiculous.
Old August 27th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #920
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

haha, I only do that when somebody freaks me out tailgating me while I haven't finished my overtaking. Sometimes I flash them with my fog lights instead as I consider it much safer.

I had the chance to drive in the US and it didn't seem that bad (I suppose it deppends on the area like here as the driving styles might be different)... but I got shocked when in a jam I saw a driver eating a sandwich with one hand while texting or changing the song on the phone with the other... and she was wearing headphones!! I think I do prefer tailgaters and left lane turtles...
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote