daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 1st, 2007, 09:32 AM   #81
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
Yea, I understand why they do it, people say the energy involved in an accident is exponential compared to the speed (1/2 mv^2), and everything happens at a faster rate, plus your car is closer to the limit of its performance envelope, that's why you keep very alert when you drive fast, and only do it when there's very little traffic. Insensible driving and fast driving are not necessarily the same thing, and no doubt that's why the speed limits are the way they are.
Or, it isn't speed that kills, it's speed differentials that kill... usually, most freeways are designed for much higher speed than is used (I've heard the number is 100mph (160 km/h) in the US), however, it's the fact that people are too uncomfortable to go that fast that brings the speed limit down. And don't get me started on those who go slower than the speed limit. To me, they are pretty much the most selfish ones on the road, clogging up the traffic behind them.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:07 PM   #82
Marek.kvackaj

Likes (Received): 15

new proposal
  • part of highways in Czech rep. and Slovakia max speed in future 160 km/h for now still 130 km/h
  • freeways still 110 km/h

btw...Austria new proposal for part of highways 160 km/h from this year
Marek.kvackaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 09:56 PM   #83
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

(sydney) is the worst place to drive on a highway...those Aussies but cameras everywhere. Plus i read in a paper while i was thre that they want to be a sensor on a highway that tracks a car while it enters from one area. If it reaches the other end of these speed zone area in less then 20 mins or so, he was speeding and would be fined. Just increase property taxes!!
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:12 PM   #84
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMandeep View Post
(sydney) is the worst place to drive on a highway...those Aussies but cameras everywhere. Plus i read in a paper while i was thre that they want to be a sensor on a highway that tracks a car while it enters from one area. If it reaches the other end of these speed zone area in less then 20 mins or so, he was speeding and would be fined. Just increase property taxes!!
Same here, plus they put very slow limits on motorways, say 50mph on an urban motorway. We have a dozen of these "trajectcontroles".
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:37 PM   #85
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

Ive heard that they do that in the states, if you are on a tollway and go from point A to point B in to fast a time you can get a speeding ticket. An easy highway to do it on would be the 407, but the people would never allow it
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:46 PM   #86
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek.kvackaj View Post
new proposal
  • part of highways in Czech rep. and Slovakia max speed in future 160 km/h for now still 130 km/h
  • freeways still 110 km/h

btw...Austria new proposal for part of highways 160 km/h from this year
that would be great, 160 in Czech and Austria
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:58 AM   #87
Fern

Likes (Received): 1938

Quote:
Yea, I understand why they do it, people say the energy involved in an accident is exponential compared to the speed (1/2 mv^2), and everything happens at a faster rate, plus your car is closer to the limit of its performance envelope, that's why you keep very alert when you drive fast, and only do it when there's very little traffic. Insensible driving and fast driving are not necessarily the same thing, and no doubt that's why the speed limits are the way they are.
Exactly. One other problem that some people are faced with is the low quality and design of their cars. For example I can cleary feel the enormous difference between driving my mother's sports car and my grandfather's laguna. The laguna was definitely not designed to ride at the same speeds as a sports car, i.e. the speed limit is set so low also because we don't all have the same ability or cars.
Fern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 03:35 AM   #88
Minato ku

In France
We love the speed limit (look at this)
130 km/h in motorways (160 km/h)
110 Km/h in expressways (130 km/h)
90 km/h in rural highways (110 km/h)
70 Km/h in rural highways (90 km/h)
50 km/h in roads and streets urban area (70 Km/h)
30 Km/h in some narrow streets in city center (50 Km/h)

One of biggest exeption is the peripherique (Paris inner beltway)
The Drivers run lower than the limit speed but it is because...
Old March 2nd, 2007, 06:13 AM   #89
ADCS
Kickin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato ku View Post
In France
We love the speed limit (look at this)
130 km/h in motorways (160 km/h)
110 Km/h in expressways (130 km/h)
90 km/h in rural highways (110 km/h)
70 Km/h in rural highways (90 km/h)
50 km/h in roads and streets urban area (70 Km/h)
30 Km/h in some narrow streets in city center (50 Km/h)

One of biggest exeption is the peripherique (Paris inner beltway)
The Drivers run lower than the limit speed but it is because...
Is that

Posted speed (average speed)?

If so, 100 mph is crazy! I guess if I were paying for the Autoroutes' tolls, though, I'd get my money's worth!
Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:57 AM   #90
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
If so, 100 mph is crazy! I guess if I were paying for the Autoroutes' tolls, though, I'd get my money's worth!
It is exactly how it works overs there. In Europe, motorways are much faster than extra-urban highways. Of course, it is true for every country, but in Europe local highways are significantly slower than state highways in America. Europe has a very large population density, so local highways run through towns every 10 km and the speed limit is always 50 km/h there. So, there is really no alternative to motorways no matter how expensive they may be. But then, like you said, you get what you pay for - high speed limits (130 and up), perfect pavement quality and no police in sight.

Actually, it is funny how I feel guilty speeding down the motorway after I come from America. After couple of days, the guilt goes away and I can fully enjoy European driving environment It only applies to motorways though because urban areas have lower speed limits than in America, and they are enforced.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 01:16 PM   #91
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

In The Netherlands, it isn't even possible in some cases to travel to another city without using the motorway.
But the motorways here aren't made for so much traffic. We have up to 200.000 vehicles a day on a 2x3 motorway, or even 120.000 on 2x2.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 06:27 PM   #92
ADCS
Kickin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
It is exactly how it works overs there. In Europe, motorways are much faster than extra-urban highways. Of course, it is true for every country, but in Europe local highways are significantly slower than state highways in America. Europe has a very large population density, so local highways run through towns every 10 km and the speed limit is always 50 km/h there. So, there is really no alternative to motorways no matter how expensive they may be. But then, like you said, you get what you pay for - high speed limits (130 and up), perfect pavement quality and no police in sight.

Actually, it is funny how I feel guilty speeding down the motorway after I come from America. After couple of days, the guilt goes away and I can fully enjoy European driving environment It only applies to motorways though because urban areas have lower speed limits than in America, and they are enforced.
Yeah, I knew the limit was high to start with, but figured people didn't speed as much. It's nice when you have people with decent driver education.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 05:20 PM   #93
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

and cars that can safely go 100 mph, I know some of the cars around America shouldn't go faster than 70-80 mph...

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:35 PM   #94
ADCS
Kickin' it

Quote:
and cars that can safely go 100 mph, I know some of the cars around America shouldn't go faster than 70-80 mph...
I saw plenty of cars in London in '05 that wouldn't qualify as well... haven't been on the Continent since '00, so I'm not sure on that one, but there were some beaters there, too.
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #95
-Corey-
Je suis tout ŕ vous

Likes (Received): 5227

Quote:
I'm just glad they dont have speed cameras here in America yet... I hear horror stories about Britain... =/
what?? are you sure?? they do have those cameras here in California, maybe in ur state,

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:21 AM   #96
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex537 View Post
they do have those cameras here in California, maybe in ur state, but not here in California.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:23 AM   #97
-Corey-
Je suis tout ŕ vous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
oh my bad haha

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:24 AM   #98
-Corey-
Je suis tout ŕ vous

It wold be better if u guys put the speed limit in miles and kilometers.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #99
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Speaking of which....I wonder if we'll ever convert. I think we're just holding out pretending we don't have to...well I guess we don't HAVE to. It'd still be easier to work on a global level.

I normally just take the MPH, and multiply it by 1.5, add a few more, and you basically have the KM equiv.
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #100
-Corey-
Je suis tout ŕ vous

i know but it is easier in miles

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏