daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #121
JoKo65

Likes (Received): 86

The right car for german autobahns:

JoKo65 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #122
caco
Crucismogiensis

Likes (Received): 3341

Brazil: 60-120 km/h
caco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #123
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

Autobahn Speed Limits to Fight Global Warming?

Call for highway speed limits meets little enthusiasm in Germany
11 March 2007

BERLIN (AP) - An EU official called on Germany to give up the famous freedom of its highways and impose speed limits on the autobahn to fight global warming -- a demand that drew angry responses on Sunday in a country that cherishes what it calls "free driving for free citizens."

The call came as the German government makes action against climate change a priority of its current presidencies of the EU and Group of Eight.

Still, the German environment minister showed little enthusiasm for EU Environment Commissioner Stavros Dimas' suggestion and a group representing the country's auto industry said it needed "no coaching on efficient climate protection from Brussels."

Many stretches of German autobahn lack speed limits -- traditionally a cherished freedom in a rule-bound country. However, the growing concern over carbon dioxide emissions is putting that tradition under renewed scrutiny.

"There are so many areas in which we waste energy in a completely senseless way and burden the climate," Dimas told the Bild am Sonntag newspaper.

"A simple measure in Germany could be a general speed limit on highways," he added, according to the newspaper. "Speed limits make a lot of sense for many reasons and are completely normal in most EU states, as in the U.S.A. -- only in Germany, strangely, is it controversial."

The commissioner did not suggest a specific speed limit for Germany but in most European countries the highway speed limit is either 75 and 80 miles per hour. Britain, Latvia and Sweden have the strictest speed limit with 70 mph, according to an official EU Web site.

Dimas' comments drew a slew of largely negative responses Sunday on the daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung's Internet site. One respondent described the debate as a "farce" and questioned the environmental record of Dimas' native Greece.

Another demanded "free driving for free citizens" -- quoting one of Germany's most popular and well-known slogans.

Chancellor Angela Merkel, who has said Europe should take a leading role in combating climate change to set an example to the U.S., China and others, last week steered an EU summit to a bold set of measures to fight global warming.

Among several initiatives, the EU is planning to push for an increased use of energy-saving light bulbs to slash energy consumption and reduce the effects of greenhouse gases.

In Britain, the opposition Conservative Party said Sunday it is considering new taxes on air travel. In the Bild interview, Dimas also said that the EU Commission wants to raise the rates for European and trans-Atlantic flights.

However, Merkel has brushed aside previous suggestions -- most recently last month -- that a general speed limit on the autobahn would help fight climate change.

Environment Minister Sigmar Gabriel said Sunday that he has "nothing against (a limit) for reasons of traffic safety" but argued that the restriction would not encourage manufacturers to produce more environment-friendly engines.

"This is a secondary front and a trivialization of the climate problem," he said at an event in Hamburg.

The German Association of the Automotive Industry, which represents an industry that includes such famous names as Volkswagen, BMW, Porsche and DaimlerChrysler, said Germany needed "no coaching" from Brussels on how to protect the climate -- "above all when the proposals are only symbolic."

"The German auto industry will act on climate change where there is real potential for savings" of vehicle emissions, the group said in a statement.

A spokesman for the Transport Ministry, Dirk Inger, said a study by a federal agency had found that an overall autobahn limit of 100 kilometers per hour -- or 62 mph -- would reduce carbon dioxide emissions by only 0.6 percent.

Each 5 mph a car drives over 60 mph reduces fuel economy by 10 percent, according to the U.S. Department of Energy.

Inger also contended that, among European countries, only Germany had succeeded in reducing vehicle emissions.

"Symbolic politics doesn't help us move forward on climate protection," Inger said. "That goes for Mr. Dimas too."

Germans may be becoming receptive to the idea, however. Last month, a survey by the Forsa institute for Stern magazine found that 60 percent would favor autobahn speed limits to cut emissions, while 38 percent would oppose them.

The Feb. 1-2 survey of 1,001 people gave a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

"I like to drive fast on the autobahn -- sometimes I drive up to 200 (125 mph) -- but if it is for the sake of the environment, I don't mind slowing down," said Thorsten Einig, 36, an information technology product manager in Karlsruhe who owns a BMW.

"I think anyone with half a brain understands that we all have to change our habits in order to limit the greenhouse gases."

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #124
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Such a limit is just nonsens, it wouldn't matter. But many of those politicians never drove in Germany obviously. Only a few people on the German Autobahn drive faster than 150km/h.

If it REALLY matters to those politicians, they'd better do something about the traffic jams, because driving in a traffic jam is still more polluting than driving 150km/h on a Autobahn.

Compare that to the few people who drive actually very fast, and the millions of people in traffic jams every day, and you'll see where you really have to do something about it.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #125
czm3
Automobile lover

Likes (Received): 147

If they want to tax people on the basis of speed and emissions, they'd be foolish to go after car drivers when there are so many people in Germany using airplanes.

This type of nonsense needs to stop. If the govt really wants to control pollution, they should go after the big industrial concerns and power generators. This burdun should not be placed on private citizens....
czm3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #126
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

exactly...
a general speed limit is nonsense! stupid idea...
but sadly there are some left-wing politicians and environmentalists who start this discussion every 3 weeks nowadays.
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #127
Naga_Solidus

Likes (Received): 3

This is wrong on numerous front, which I won't bother mentioning since the most impostant ones already have.
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #128
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Only a few people on the German Autobahn drive faster than 150km/h.
that's definitely wrong . i come from germany and i really know how many people drive over 150. in december i've driven on the autobahn with 170km/h.....and i've only override the trucks and the cars with trailers!!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #129
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 173

The reason politicians like speed limits is because they love to cash in the speed tickets from the drivers, plus insurance companies don´t mind if they don´t have to pay out because the driver drove too fast.
Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #130
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

NO it would'nt make any difference cause it's the in-town drivin that makes a differnce.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #131
DragonHRuffy

Likes (Received): 26

you guys are funny... it is true that only a few people use to drive more than 150-170km/h....

I live in Germany and I know it better than you guys

My friends and I use to drive 200 - 230 if it is possible... and the car is only using 11litres on 100km.... some cars like big limousines or others use to use 15litres with a speed of 100km/h...
DragonHRuffy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:37 AM   #132
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFM View Post
NO it would'nt make any difference cause it's the in-town drivin that makes a differnce.
Yeah, doesn't a car emit more pollutants as it has to use more fuel to compensate for stop and go acceleration?
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:10 PM   #133
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Exatly
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:23 PM   #134
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

Isn't the most efficient speed for fuel consumption near 100 km/h?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:33 PM   #135
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Isn't the most efficient speed for fuel consumption near 100 km/h?
That is correct.
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:34 PM   #136
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Oregon Speed Limit...what is it really?

Here is an interesting one...Oregon, until recently was the only Western U.S. state with a freeway speed limit of under 70mph (It was 65). They changed it to "allow for" increases to 70 a couple years back, but as I understand it, the procedures for increasing specific sections to 70 are so complex and time consuming, nobody has bothered. So Oregon remains at 65, even though they could possibly be 70. Do I have this correct? Someone in Oregon please chime in...

Last edited by pwalker; March 22nd, 2007 at 03:50 AM.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:45 PM   #137
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6555

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoKo65 View Post
The right car for german autobahns:
, exactly
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:51 PM   #138
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Why such a low speed limit? Location: I-95 in Miami, FL

Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:37 AM   #139
zivan56

Likes (Received): 2

It would depend on the car/engine/transmission.
zivan56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:07 AM   #140
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

A limit will not help the environment so much, because there are also many people who shift the gears very late even in towns, and so, it makes no difference if I drive 170km/h in the 6. gear at 4000 rpm on the autobahn or 60km/h in the 2. gear at a similar rpm in towns.
Actually, I guess more than 2/3 of the autobahn network DO have speed limits.

I think we already (try to) do a lot for the environment when I think of waste separation, deposit on bottles and cans, lots of windmills and solarcalculators all over the country, green tax on pollution respectively eco-tax and so on.

So, please NO general limits on the Autobahn!
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote