daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2007, 07:21 AM   #141
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Yeah, talking about ambiguity This sign actually says "Minimum Speed" although from distance it appears exactly as the maximum limit. International sign would have a round shape and blue background with white letters on it. Would be hard to confuse it with the tempo limit.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:05 AM   #142
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

1. If they implement a speed limit, where am I going to drive my Enzo Ferrari???

2. Going a bit off topic, maybe they should put in different speed limits for different lanes. Like 100km/h for the far right lane, 115 km/h for the next lane, 130 for the lane after that...

Everyone knows the further left you go, the faster the flow of traffic gets. So why keep the same speed limit throughout??? I find here in Ontario most motorists go about 130km/h in the far left lane, and going any slower will mean people passing you on a regular basis.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:24 AM   #143
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Rich bastard. Curbing emissions from driving fast is total bs, there are so much more other stuff that can be done. Totally Retarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
It would depend on the car/engine/transmission.
Exactly. Most cars are built with the idea that 100km/h is the optimal driving speed, but it varies. I've found I get the best mileage around 70-75 mph. A way of measuring this is to calculate your engine rpm vs. your speed (very rough estimate). For example, revving at 2000 rpm @ 60 mph, vs. revving at 2300 rpm @ 75 mph means you get 25 percent more speed for 15 percent more consumption.

Of course, there are huge amounts of variables, but I've found this (from experience) to be a reasonable good rule of thumb.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:48 AM   #144
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

I agree, minimum and maximum speed signs need to look different, especially in Florida what with the an older population.

Interesting that in the U.S., most western states have a 70 or 75mph limit in rural areas. Oregon is the exception. Montana does not have an 80mph limit, although it did have no limits for a time in 1990's. A big increase in fatalities prompted them to put a limit back on.

My experience is that most will drive 5-8 mph over the posted limit. So most in the 75mph states go 80, and those in a 65 state go 70. However, the lower the limit, the more frequent number of speeders is noted. Americans, in general, don't want the government telling them how fast to drive. But, with a few rare exceptions, will stay within reasonable limits.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 08:10 AM   #145
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
Montana does not have an 80mph limit, although it did have no limits for a time in 1990's. A big increase in fatalities prompted them to put a limit back on.
No, it was not a big increase in fatalities that made them put back the limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Montana Speed limit

On March 10, 1996 [35], a Montana Patrolman issued a speed ticket to a driver traveling at 85 mph (140 km/h) on a stretch of State Highway 200. The 50 year-old male driver (Rudy Stanko) was operating a 1996 Camaro with less than 10,000 miles (16,000 km) on the odometer. Although the officer gave no opinion as to what would have been a reasonable speed, the driver was convicted. The driver appealed all the way to the Montana Supreme Court. The Court reversed the conviction in case No. 97-486 on December 23, 1998; it held that a law requiring drivers to drive at a non-numerical "reasonable and proper" speed "is so vague that it violates the Due Process Clause ... of the Montana Constitution".

Due to this reversal, Montana scrambled to vote in a numerical limit as it technically had no speed limit whatsoever in the meantime. In June 1999, a new Montana speed limit law went into effect. The law's practical effect was to require posted limits on all roads and disallow any speed limit higher than 75 mph (120 km/h).
When I drove in Montana in August 1999, I was surprised that most drivers were driving 140 km/h and up while the speed limit was set to 120 km/h. Little did I know that as recently as 3 months before my trip there had not been any daylight speed limit at all
Old March 24th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #146
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Wikipedia is a questionable source

Wikipedia, in many cases, is a good source of information. But, the site is mainly builit upon posters adding information that cannot always be confirmed.
While I do not deny this epidsode happened, I believe there was an increase in fatalities w/o speed limits and from a political standpoint, this is was prompted the resumption of the limit, albeit, I will concede this case may have been brought up. But I frankly don't believe one case caused the limits to be reistanted. Perhaps, a Montanan can confirm or deny this. Not that it really matters, the bottom line is Montana has had a 75 MPH limit for many years, despite misconceptions among many around the world.

Last edited by pwalker; April 21st, 2007 at 04:52 AM.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #147
Nicolás
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

General Speed Limit would be very nice here in Germany. I always enjoy driving on motorways in other European countries - less stressful.
I am also tired of these tailgating drivers in the left lane which are always AUDI or BMW ...
Nicolás no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #148
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolás View Post
General Speed Limit would be very nice here in Germany. I always enjoy driving on motorways in other European countries - less stressful.
Non-Germans would said the opposite thing

I heard Dutch people saying all the time driving in Germany is so much better than here, in The Netherlands the roads are often overcrowded, busy and stressed with low speed limits.

A while ago someone said this to me, about their trip to Italy;
"My holiday starts when i'm entering Germany!"
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #149
RKS
OT XV

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
I am also tired of these tailgating drivers in the left lane which are always AUDI or BMW ...
wtf?
there a lot of VWs, Opels and other "smaller" cars like toyotas etc., it seems that you are one of those guys who overhaul a truck with 120kph and if you think the left lane is to dangerous--> drive right!!!
RKS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 04:44 AM   #150
Nicolás
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS View Post
you are one of those guys who overhaul a truck with 120kph
So? No, unfortunately I can't do so and I have to drive very fast, too, to manage driving on a German motorway.
It seems you have never been to one of our neighbors (I really enjoy driving there) and that you are just one of those LICHTHUPENDRÄNGLER who drive AUDI or BMW (and it's a fact that they are often involved in forcing others to move to the right side while they are overtaking another car).

Left lane wouldn't be dangerous if there weren't all these 200++++ kph (idiot) drivers who think they are on a racing track.

Last edited by Nicolás; March 25th, 2007 at 04:50 AM.
Old March 25th, 2007, 05:00 AM   #151
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Left lane wouldn't be dangerous if there weren't all these 200++++ kph (idiot) drivers who think they are on a racing track.
Nicolás, I am sure that with your driving abilities you would fit in on American motorways just fine. Here, you don't have to overtake another car to drive in the fast lane. Hell, you even need not drive more than 110 km/h to be in the left lane! And on top of this, if you drive faster than 120 km/h (on the West Coast), you are very likely to get cited by police. Would be a heaven for you.
Old March 25th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #152
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4248

Quote:

The left lane would be less dangerous if all these slow drivers stay on their right lane. The left lane is for fast driving.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 12:17 PM   #153
Nicolás
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
The left lane is for fast driving.
Yes, it is - there is no denying (and I drive there, too, sometimes, when I don't care about gas), but if there was a speed limit around ~130 - 140 kph that speed would be the fastest and less dangerous for everybody.

Good thing in Germany is, that there are lots of areas with speed limits - on most of the 'tracks' it's technically impossible to drive faster than ~130 kph.
Old March 25th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #154
Nicolás
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Nicolás, I am sure that with your driving abilities you would fit in on American motorways just fine.
Do you want to say that I am not able to drive high speed? No, that's wrong - but I often don't do that because gas is expensive in Germany and not that cheap like in the US.
Old March 25th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #155
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 173

But who is going to benefit most from a speed limit do you think?
My experiences from how it works in the states (where they have a ridiculous 55-65 mph limit)

Insurance companies: "Haha, he drove a little too fast, now we don´t have to pay anything to that sucker!"
Police: "Hey, we are sooo bored now, how about putting up a speed trap on the Autobahn and then we´ll have a great party after collecting the fines?"

And as someone said earlier, what makes a big difference for the envoirment is where you drive (inner city, countryside), the traffic volume and if there are any traffic jams and so on.
Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #156
czm3
Automobile lover

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
So? No, unfortunately I can't do so and I have to drive very fast, too, to manage driving on a German motorway.

Quote:
Do you want to say that I am not able to drive high speed? No, that's wrong - but I often don't do that because gas is expensive in Germany and not that cheap like in the US.
Sounds like you're talking in circles....

Alex is spot on, you'd fit in perfectly on the Interstates.

BTW if you think Germans are agressive on the Autobahn, you've obviously never driven on the Autostrada which has a speed limit.
czm3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #157
GASpedal

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
The left lane is for fast driving.
No. It's for overtaking. Nothing else, primarily.
Where did you get your driving licence?

E.g., if there are several trucks. You normally would take your time and overtake the whole convoy at once - with, let's say 150kph.
But those idiots can't accept that and will push you back between the slow trucks halfway the convoy...

I've got nothing against people driving fast. But they definitely have to take care and can't expect to drive 250kph without ever having to brake. That's the problem.

Italy is a special topic. But driving in France e.g. is much, much more relaxed than in Germany.

I guess a moderate speed limit would be a good thing. 180kph, 160kph... would be enough - or even less, I don't care.
GASpedal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #158
Nicolás
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by czm3 View Post
Sounds like you're talking in circles....
Why? I have never said that I don't like driving fast - 160-170 kph is an acceptable speed (but still costs a lot of fuel if I compare this with 120 kph) - I just don't like the ones who can't get enough and drive with 200+++ kph on the left lane (and it is always AUDI or BMW), see a slower car in front, brake... and force it with the headlamp flasher. Sometimes, on a two-lane-motorway even slower cars have to use the left lane to overtake a truck or whatever...
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:26 AM   #159
Alex Von Königsberg

I don't understand what the problem is. Almost every year I drive on the Autobahn (mostly on A9) and really enjoy my driving experience there. It is true that sometimes it might be tough if you are stuck behind a lory and fast cars don't let you get in the left lane, but sooner or later you will be able to do so. And if one of those BMW or Audi come up at me while I am overtaking another vehicle, I will turn on my right signal to let them know that I will change the lane as fast as I can. The bottom line is that I know capabilties of my small Octavia, and therefore, will use the left lane only if I think that I can overtake slower vehicle in a reasonably short time and not force faster cars to brake.
Old March 26th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #160
Nicolás
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
And if one of those BMW or Audi come up at me while I am overtaking another vehicle, I will turn on my right signal to let them know that I will change the lane as fast as I can.
And that's it what I originally meant by saying that it's stress.