daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 26th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #161
czm3
Automobile lover

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolás View Post
Why? I have never said that I don't like driving fast - 160-170 kph is an acceptable speed (but still costs a lot of fuel if I compare this with 120 kph) - I just don't like the ones who can't get enough and drive with 200+++ kph on the left lane (and it is always AUDI or BMW), see a slower car in front, brake... and force it with the headlamp flasher. Sometimes, on a two-lane-motorway even slower cars have to use the left lane to overtake a truck or whatever...
Well, maybe we should separate fast driving from agressive driving. The two are connected, but definitelty independent from one another. One can drive 200+ kph in the left lane and still be courtious to other drivers. If you are in the left lane, so long you are actually making progress in your overtaking maneuver, the car behind you needs to be patient.

BTW, I would not let those Audi and BMW drivers intimidate you. If they are stuck behind you flashing their lights, guess what? You control them and you can make them your bitch. One of my personal favorites with tailgaters of this manner is to slightly drive on the left hand emergancy lane. This kicks up all sorts of dust and debris that will cause a tailgater to drop off. If that isnt enough, brake check them if they are not paying attention (ie talking on a cell phone) you can even get them to swerve towards the guard rail (however I only use this technique in the US, as German drivers have better situational awareness)

People need to share the road, and that comes with the understanding that some of us go slow and have a right to do so, but some of us also go fast, and we shouldnt be needlessly held up by slower traffic. IMHO if Germany established a speed limit, these problems will continue, it is fallout of a society with too many rules and too much Ortnung.
czm3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #162
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by czm3 View Post
Well, maybe we should separate fast driving from agressive driving. The two are connected, but definitelty independent from one another. One can drive 200+ kph in the left lane and still be courtious to other drivers. If you are in the left lane, so long you are actually making progress in your overtaking maneuver, the car behind you needs to be patient.
Good point. I'll admit my driving is limited to the US and I don't have that much experience driving (only 2 years), but when I drive at night, in the US, there are always lane hoggers who nevertheless hold up the left lane, while I travel around 160km/h, when I see one of those, I usually slow up behind them, and wait 10 seconds or so to see if they change to the right, and if not, I pass them on the right.

Anyway, I understand that your point is stress, but I sincerely doubt that even if a speed limit was set up, aggressive driving will curb that much.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #163
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4248

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASpedal View Post
No. It's for overtaking. Nothing else, primarily.
Where did you get your driving licence?

E.g., if there are several trucks. You normally would take your time and overtake the whole convoy at once - with, let's say 150kph.
But those idiots can't accept that and will push you back between the slow trucks halfway the convoy...
That is not the point. There are several drivers that go with 150 km/h on the left lanes although the right lane is empty. And then of course I will use my Lichthupe and teach them a lesson.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #164
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Hmm... For security reasons it would be better to put a limit. I think that some of you don't realise yet that how faster you drive, the more fuel per kilometer you spend. Nicolás mentioned this as well, and you'd really be surprised how much difference there is.

Quite obviously: more fuel spent = more pollution.

A limit at 160km/h would be a decent solution I think: not too slow, but less strain on the environment.

- Greetz Glodenox
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #165
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

The accident rate in Germany is not higher than other West European countries. Countries like Spain and Portugal get off much worse in the statistics.

And the more fuel spent on speeding is a near droplet compared to the amount of fuel spent while driving in a traffic jam.

Compare the cars that drive really fast to the thousands of vehicles in a traffic jam.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #166
ChrisZwolle
Road user

i have a fuel tank of 40 liters, and in daily commuting through my city, i can drive about 500km with one gas tank, and speeds rarely over 70km/h. But when i drive a lot on motorways, i drove over 650km with one gas tank, with speeds often over 130km/h. That's a difference of 30%
Old March 31st, 2007, 04:19 PM   #167
Nicolás
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
i have a fuel tank of 40 liters, and in daily commuting through my city, i can drive about 500km with one gas tank, and speeds rarely over 70km/h. But when i drive a lot on motorways, i drove over 650km with one gas tank, with speeds often over 130km/h. That's a difference of 30%
Ever heard of stop and go?
Nicolás no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:26 PM   #168
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yeah, i thought it is a German sentence, i heard it often on the German traffic information. This term is unusual in the Netherlands.
Old April 1st, 2007, 02:55 AM   #169
Nicolás
BANNED

yeah, I thought so, too...
Nicolás no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:14 PM   #170
Facial
Seeking truth from facts

Likes (Received): 10

I support this ********. It's better for the safety too.
Facial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:23 PM   #171
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

I think that with these filters SSC cannot be functional any longer.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:35 PM   #172
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
I think that with these filters SSC cannot be functional any longer.
thank god that the 1st of a_pril is only one day long
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 04:59 PM   #173
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

yeah... they got me
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:07 PM   #174
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facial View Post
I support this ********. It's better for the safety too.

Germany is safer to drive than other European countries or maybe the world. Accidents are rare and German drivers are disciplined drivers even thou they drive over 150 km/hr. With Germany's strict policies and driver's training, there is no need to put a speed limit in the Autobahn. In the other hand, US drivers (especially teen drivers) are reckless, aggressive and immature. Thats the reason there are more accidents here even thou we have speed limits.
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #175
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

When I drive on a freeway, I'm usually in the far left lane and go about 10-20km/h over. However if the guy in front of me is going faster, I try and match his speed
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #176
acorn

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
Wikipedia, in many cases, is a good source of information. But, the site is mainly builit upon posters adding information that cannot always be confirmed.
While I do not deny this episode happened, the facts will read that there was an increase in fatalities w/o speed limits and from a political standpoint, this is was prompted the resumption of the limit, albeit, I will concede this case may have been brought up. But I frankly don't believe one case caused the limits to be reinstated. Perhaps, a Montanan can confirm or deny this. Not that it really matters, the bottom line is Montana has had a 75 MPH limit for many years, despite misconceptions among many around the world.
Quote:
Montana Speed limit

On March 10, 1996 [35], a Montana Patrolman issued a speed ticket to a driver traveling at 85 mph (140 km/h) on a stretch of State Highway 200. The 50 year-old male driver (Rudy Stanko) was operating a 1996 Camaro with less than 10,000 miles (16,000 km) on the odometer. Although the officer gave no opinion as to what would have been a reasonable speed, the driver was convicted. The driver appealed all the way to the Montana Supreme Court. The Court reversed the conviction in case No. 97-486 on December 23, 1998; it held that a law requiring drivers to drive at a non-numerical "reasonable and proper" speed "is so vague that it violates the Due Process Clause ... of the Montana Constitution".

Due to this reversal, Montana scrambled to vote in a numerical limit as it technically had no speed limit whatsoever in the meantime. In June 1999, a new Montana speed limit law went into effect. The law's practical effect was to require posted limits on all roads and disallow any speed limit higher than 75 mph (120 km/h).
This is exactly what happened . I drove across Montana a many times while it was "Reasonable & Prudent" 70 to 75 mph was common on rural 2 lane highways with 85 to 90 mph was the norm on rural 4 lane freeways . Nothing like setting the cruise @ 90 mph for hours on end .

From that date in Dec 98 to June of 99 ( May 31 ) there was absolutely no posted limit during the day . The safety nuts screamed and tried to scare everyone that not having any posted limit made all the roads less safe , but the stats from the time without a limit proved otherwise . But by the time the stats were in the dead was done they had a posted limit for all time forward .

A note , in Montana you are allowed to exceed the posted limit 70 mph on rural roads during the day ( 65 mph at night ) by 10 mph to safely overtake traffic then must slow to posted limit .

Oh and by the way the death toll on Montana highways hit its' lowest point while it had no posted speed limit . The crash toll has increased since a numerically posted speed limit . This proves that rural roads are safer if you let drivers pick the safe speed to travel on them . 90 % of US freeways could safely be traveled at 80 to 90 mph , which in many cases this is the prevaling speed of all traffic today with no regard to the posted limit .

Last edited by acorn; April 19th, 2007 at 01:32 AM.
acorn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #177
kurakura
means tortoise in malay

Malaysia's legal speed limit on highways is 110km/h.
But it is good enough for 150km/h comfortable speed or more.
(For those who has gone on Malaysian highways should know what I am talking about)

I have driven 210km/h on the highway before.
The reason y i could do that is because you can pay off the cops
and even if you dun do tat, the maximum fine is just USD80.

Singapore's highway speedlimit is 90km/h but it is good enough for 130 km/h.
Not to say that the highway in Singapore is not as good as Malaysia. Its just because there are too many traffic on them and they are not tat long considering Singapore's size.
Do not pay off the cops in Singapore
kurakura no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 03:30 AM   #178
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

acorn, I will trust you have the true facts on the Montana situation. It just isn't what I remember. I could be wrong.

I live in a 75 MPH state, and I think it is just about right. However, just yesterday I hit a small dead animal on an Interstate at that speed...not a good experience! I wonder if it would have been worse at 90.

No speed limits? I don't know...it seems to me in Montana if you have this scenerio you would have a lot of drivers at very different speeds, especially during the summer tourist season, and that would be unsafe IMHO.

Last edited by pwalker; April 27th, 2007 at 03:52 AM.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 08:26 AM   #179
acorn

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
acorn, I will trust you have the true facts on the Montana situation. It just isn't what I remember. I could be wrong.

I live in a 75 MPH state, and I think it is just about right. However, just yesterday I hit a small dead animal on an Interstate at that speed not a good experience! I wonder if it would have been worse at 90.

No speed limits? I don't know...it seems to me in Montana if you have this scenario you would have a lot of drivers at very different speeds, especially during the summer tourist season, and that would be unsafe IMHO.
I ran over a dead elk in the middle of the interstate @ about 80 mph 10 years ago . I ripped my fuel line in two & tore off my air dam .

Have u ever crossed Montana ?? A lot of nothing with a few small towns scattered around . Montana did just fine for without speed limits for almost 5 years with lower crash rates as compared to years with posted speed limits .

Speed limits have very little to do with how fast most people drive . We drive the speed that we feel safe @ on a given highway/freeway , irregardless to what is posted on a speed limit sign .

No cell phones or eating burgers or doing anything other than driving on a highway ( 4 lane or 2 lane ) where high speeds are involved . That in itself makes the roads safer .

I live in 2 states a 70 mph posted ( 75 mph is legal during the day in good weather ) & the other is posted @ 75 mph ( which has stretches of freeways where 80 to 85 is accepted during the day in good weather ) .

I know the safety nuts like to scream that higher speeds make roads more dangerous which is complete bullsh!t . In every state , every one that has raised the posted limit & allows higher speed travel on rural section on freeways the traffic fatality toll has dropped .

What the states actually found when they raised the speed limits was especially in the wide open west is most crashes occurred on the last 100 miles of a trip of many hours . This even has a name , the deadly hours of a trip .

By raising the travel speed on rural highways the deadly hour was done away with . This was done by making less time to be required on these long distances between the cities in the western US which cuts out the deadly last hours that existed under the lower posted limits .

We have tens of thousands of miles of high speed highways/freeways rural & urban in the US that can safely handle 80 mph . And it makes no sense to post any limit below that point , because they will/are completely ignored .

If anyone doesn't know this ( these highways are designed for very high speeds ) they should stay off of these high speed roads , as they make them unsafe for them as well as all of us .

Just take a trip to one of the northest with many roads with underposted speed limits well below design speed and you will find out what it means to drive on a road with a mix of speeds .
acorn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 03:10 PM   #180
NerveAgent

Likes (Received): 55

In the UK the speed limit is;

70 mph on the motorway/Dual Carriage way
60 mph on a Single Carriage way
30 mph in town and cities

We have lots of speed cameras, motorists are the governments personal cash machine. Most people still exceed the speed limit though, its ok on the motorway you just have to watch out for police cars on bridges that go over the road. They will generally only pull you over if your doing 85mph+. Its pretty easy to avoid them though. I travel on the motorway everyday and do about 90mph
NerveAgent no está en línea   Reply With Quote