daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Speakers' Corner

Speakers' Corner For London related discussion

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite projects! (you can vote for more than one!)
The Shard of Glass 201 69.79%
The Pinnacle 167 57.99%
Heron Tower 85 29.51%
Riverside South 63 21.88%
122 Leadenhall 142 49.31%
North Quay 17 5.90%
City Pride 32 11.11%
Wood Wharf 46 15.97%
Heron Quays West 18 6.25%
1 Park Place 14 4.86%
St George Tower 32 11.11%
100 Bishopsgate 17 5.90%
1 Blackfriars Road 43 14.93%
Northgate Tower 5 1.74%
Odalisk 13 4.51%
20 Fenchurch Street - "The Walkie Talkie" 53 18.40%
Crossharbour - "Baltimore Wharf" 36 12.50%
Merchant Square - "The Blade" 6 2.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 13th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #1
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6107

*MULTIPLE CHOICE* - Favourite Project

People always seem to miss this, so I'll make it very clear this time:-

The poll is multiple choice - so vote for as many as you like!

They are listed in height order.

Previous thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=576628

--

The Shard

The Pinnacle

Heron Tower

Riverside South

122 Leadenhall

North Quay

City Pride

Wood Wharf

Heron Quays West

1 Park Place

St George Tower

100 Bishopsgate

1 Blackfriars Road

Northgate Tower

Odalisk

20 Fenchurch Street - "The Walkie Talkie"

Crossharbour - "Baltimore Wharf"

Merchant Square - "The Blade"

Last edited by wjfox; March 14th, 2009 at 12:00 AM.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 13th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #2
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1862

The Shard
The Pinnacle
Old March 14th, 2009, 12:10 AM   #3
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 263

Yay! Thanks Mr F.

But still no Strata? I guess you're restricting it to skyscrapers (150m+), but if you allowed 3 metres' leeway I think you'd have a new entry in the top 3.

My votes: 1. Shard, [2. Strata], 3. Pinnacle, 4. Wood Wharf, 5. 122 Leadenhall, 6. 1 Blackfriars Rd, 7. Vauxhall Tower.
Old March 14th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #4
Bottlefall

Likes (Received): 50

So far only me for City Pride and Odalisk?

Bottlefall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #5
Splish

Likes (Received): 289

1. Crossharbour
2. The Shard
3. 1 Blackfriars
Splish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 01:43 AM   #6
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 375

The Shard A 'scraper fit for postcards. Shame about the lowrise element - you'd think they've had long enough to design a decent one.

The Pinnacle I think it looks a bit naff - do skyscrapers need skirts?

Heron Tower Best box here. Almost looks high-tech.

Riverside South Two fingers up to the city. Cheeky, but two boxes.

122 Leadenhall One of the best. The design process is textbook stuff.

North Quay Little architectural merit. The "helps to bulk up Canary Wharf" argument is nonsense - this has nothing to do with the aesthetic qualities of the towers. The middle element is a very badly proportioned and clumsy design.

City Pride A box to store rich people. Dull, but well proportioned.

Wood Wharf Waaay to early to judge it. The only render is some kid's sketchup model.

Heron Quays West What a large building! This giant looks heavy/clumsy and the crowns look to Hong Kong for my liking.

1 Park Place If the "water reed" effect of the cladding is pulled off then it'll look stunning but if this gets over designed it may end up like a white elephant. Too wide.

St George Tower Half AA battery half lighthouse. Pretty disappointing compared to the original design.

100 Bishopsgate The design looks half-finished, and doesn't do anything for the skyline.

1 Blackfriars Road
I like the lightweight effect the 'legs' at the bottom seem to give it, but it's a hunchback with a strange face (and brain!) ultimately built in the wrong place.

Northgate Tower I can't really tell what's going on in that picture, so I'll have to wait until more renderings are released to make my mind up.

Odalisk
Silly name suits the silly tower. The curves on the facade are nothing apart from aesthetics so are completely unnecessary. Build it in Tokyo, not Croydon.

20 Fenchurch Street Hello gorgeous. This one's raised even more eyebrows than the very Opal Tower I'm typing this in. The convex design is a novel (if unnecessary given the height) way of creating more floorspace - but it looks like Disney's singing and dancing whale from the 90s. The sky garden will be excellent if the developers don't accidently forget to include it and put an office floor there instead...

Crossharbour Best looking tower designed near Canary Wharf so far, but circular floorplates are ridiculously impractical.

Merchant Square I can't really tell from that rendering. It looks like a box so will be really practical, fast construction and high quality etc... but it's just a box.
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 02:51 AM   #7
aclifford

Likes (Received): 20

In order of Preference...

Shard
Leadenhall
Heron
Riverside South
Wood Wharf
Heron Quays West
City Pride

I'm not convinced by the Pinnacle at all, the design has been compromised and gone from a sexy mo fo to a fat bastard. I hope it will turn out great but i'm worried it will be a bit of a lump.
The City has room for only a few skyscrapers so those that are built should be the best and Heron and Leadenhall are perfect.
aclifford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #8
Vodski Bandit

Likes (Received): 2

1 Pinnacle
2 Shard
3 Leadenhall
4 Wood Wharf
5 Heron

I didn't vote for it but do I also think Heron Quays West, if finished like that render, will be great, and although it is rather hulking (and less obviously likable than those I voted for), I think it has enough verticality to get away with it. It'll have a huge impact on that rather messy area and really tie in RS, the Landmark and City Pride. I don't quite get what you mean Gherkin about the tops being 'too Hong Kong', or why that'd be a bad thing? I thing it's much better than a dull flat top, CW needs more of that kind of thing imo
Vodski Bandit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #9
johnt_gr
A greek iberista

Likes (Received): 3

1. Shard
2. The Pinnacle
3. 122 Leadenhall
johnt_gr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #10
ibiza
....ENGAGE

Likes (Received): 0

I still think it would be interesting to also have a parallel thread just for an "absolute favourite project" with only a single choice. Right now about 3/4 of people are ticking all the 3 most popular projects (shard, pinnacle + leadenhall), so by forcing people to make a choice between those (and the others which will be interesting to see which ones get votes at all) that poll would definitely have quite some different and interesting in itself results..

and I agree that Strata should be in the list as well - it's definitely one of the most popular threads right now over in the construction section and being 3 meters too small to be called a skyscraper (by a not even fixed definition) shouldn't take it out of the ranking just like it doesn't prevent it from being featured on this forum in general. If it's not possible to enter it into the current poll it would be nice to have it at least featured in the suggested parallel single choice competition, it's quite clear that just like the big 3 most people would also tick Strata, but how many have it as an absolute favourite would be really interesting..

Last edited by ibiza; March 14th, 2009 at 04:54 PM.
ibiza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #11
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 9

In no particular order:

- The Shard
- The Pinnacle
- Heron
- 122 Leadenhall

followed by Crossharbour.

20 Fenchurch street gets a lot of criticism, and whilst i still don't like it, it i'm starting to appreciate it more. However, i think by far the worst project for the City is 100 Bishopsgate, it's a horrible shapeless box that would look fat even at Canary Wharf. It does nothing for the skyline with its flat roof - terrible design.
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #12
milkymilky
Lovely!

Likes (Received): 1

1) Shard
2) Pinnacle
3) Leadenhall
4) Heron
5) Strata
6) City Pride
7) Crossharbour
8) RSS
milkymilky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #13
Madman
London 2012

Likes (Received): 7

1. Shard
2. 122 Leadenhall
3. City Pride
4. Strata
5. Pinnacle

The others are just a bonus for me...
Madman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #14
TallBox

Likes (Received): 137

Heron
Bish
Shard
St George's Wharf
TallBox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 02:24 AM   #15
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 2624

WjFox you crafty nerk, this thread had nothing to do with wanting to give people multipel choice, it was just an excuse to post a new array of stunningly sexy skyscraper renders....but I aint complaining!

For me:

1+2) LBT/Pinnicle - They are both gorgeous and essential projects in their respective areas, they HAVE to be built!
3) Leadenhall - I love the shape, design, the height, the location, the external lift, colour...
4) Riverside South - Not exactly barn-storming design, but still slick and powerful looking, but mainly this one if about the sheer awesome scale!
5) Heron - Simple, elegant, clean and just generally a great looking 'raper. Plus points are also awarded for the friggin pace at which it's progressed!

then there's a gap, I've only voted for those 5, even though I like the ones below.............

6) Wood Wharf - Still far too early to know or expect much from this, but the scale of the project and the number of tall buildings in a useful location at CW, with the likelyhood of proper streetscapes, is enough to get me excited.

7) City Pride - Design isn't exactly unique, I'd prefer they had a spire or made it more aesthetically inspiring somehow, but it's still a good height considering the small platform and it's slim shape could really help to balance out CWs skyline.

8) Crossharbour - Best design for a new CW tower (excluding Columbus maybe), lovely shape, just wish it was taller and didn't come attached to a failr cruddy low-rise elemant.

9) HQW - Prefered the old design, but it still hasthe possibility to be unqiue looking in CW, and again, the scale of 3 towers is impressive enough.

10) North Quay - Still a bit bulky in design, but the height is impressive and location might equalise the view of CW from some angles.

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #16
Varenukha
London, UK

Likes (Received): 1

1. 122 Leadenhall
2. Shard
3. Heron
4. Pinnacle
5. 1 Blackfriars
6,983. The Walkie-effing-Talkie
Varenukha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #17
Jizzy
Royal Pimp

the pinnacle.

i also like the 11-19 monument street project too, i would love to see this for real someday, fingers crossed.

and nomatter how much i try to like it, 20 fenchurch street should be stopped and redesigned imho.
Jizzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #18
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6107

Glad to see Heron getting more votes this time (55%, compared with just 19% in the previous thread).
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #19
Loyalist.
Let's modernise Britain

The Pinnacle is by far my favourite building.

I've also added St George Wharf tower, simply because it pisses off the heritage lobby.
Loyalist. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 12:02 AM   #20
jimbo

Likes (Received): 5

I just like perving at the collection of renders to be frank.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote