daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Home Counties and South West England

Old March 14th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #1
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 832

Around the Island, a Photo-Tour of Portsmouth by me!

Part One
Along Queen Street, Gunwharf Quays to Victoria Park

Looking over the Camber to the Pubs of Spice Island and the Harbour Mouth beyond.

One of the Worlds First iron framed buildings with the stunning One Gunwharf Quays behind.

One Gunwharf Quays itself, standing at the end of the old Vernon Minesweeper Dock.

Clubs and Restaurants now line this Dock, with offices on the top floors.

The Magestic 170m Spinnaker Tower crowns Portsmouth's growing skyline.

Pall Europe occupy Europa House, what was once the tallest building in the area.

Queen Streets new top address, the Admiralty Quarter Tower stands proud over the working Dockyard wall.

Wood and Glass make a stunning contrast for the Admiralty Quarter low rise elements.

Bright new community space at the 'Citygait' development.

The Pubs, Clubs and Theatres of the Guildhall Walk, one of Portsmouth's premier entertainment areas.

The stunning 1973 Zurich House undergoes renovation whilst a new Adventure Playground is born at its base.

And finally, the Portland Stone Guildhall rises above the Park and Railway line. Currently being cleaned this is amongst the most stunning of Portsmouth's public buildings.

Thats all for Part One, for Part Two I hope to get the University Quarter, Southsea Beach or perhaps something Grittier?
Thanks for looking, please leave a comment.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 14th, 2009, 01:06 AM   #2
Medo

Likes (Received): 349

Wow, great place and excellent pictures. Gunwharf Quays tower looks really nice.
Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #3
ibiza
....ENGAGE

Likes (Received): 0

great job, Daniel
ibiza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #4
geoff189d

Likes (Received): 35

I like your new high rise towers. Neat!
geoff189d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #5
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

Likes (Received): 41

Great photos Ill tonkso. No.1 Gunwharf Quay looking great as does the John Pounds Community centre.

Looking foward to some more. Central Southsea and the Common would be brill and for some contrasting 'grit' maybe Landport or Somers town?
Pompey77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #6
Munichpictures1970

Likes (Received): 72

Nice and interesting pictures!
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #7
ill tonkso

Part Two
A walk around the Camber and Old Portsmouth

Todays walk starts off here, at the Camber, the heart of Portsmouth's fishing industry.

The Camber once had an Industrial side to it, however in the mid 1990s the small Power Station that once stood here was replaced with warm, attractive apartment buildings. Captains Row is based on the typical Georgian Terrace and is finished in a high quality red brick.

Coming out of Captains Row onto Broad Street, centuries ago before the Industrial Revolution this would have been one of the main streets of Portsmouth. Along the south side of Broad Street, there is part of the city wall along the sea between the Round Tower and the Square Tower.

Looking away from Portsmouth Harbour from the Round Tower down onto Broad Street towards the Square Tower.

Embedded into the side of the Square Tower is the cursed golden Bust of Charles I. The current Bust is a fiberglass replica (the original is in the city museum) due to the general disrepair of the original, and the legendary curse that goes with it.
The believed curse is that every time the Bust is taken down for cleaning, a war is sure to follow. The last time it was taken down, the Falklands War came less than a year later.

Apartments line the Square of the Grand Parade with its Georgian architecture and cobbled streets.

The Royal Garrison Church lost it's Nave in a Luftwaffe Firebombing Raid on the 10th of January 1941. The Roof was never replaced and left as a memorial to the Blitz in Portsmouth.

The Royal Naval Club on Pembroke Road was spared in the same raid, it's neighbours however, were not. They were replaced with relatively poor quality Townhouses in the early 1960s.

Heading towards Southsea at the junction of Pembroke Road and Bellevue Terrace, one of many War Memorials sits in between the trees.

On the other side of Bellevue Terrace, the University of Portsmouth's Reese Halls brighten up the streetscape looking out at Southsea Common.

Heading up Belleville Terrace, you are greeted by more Traditional Portsmouth architecture occupied by old pubs and restaurants.

As Belleville Terrace becomes Hampshire Terrace, the streetscape on the Old Portsmouth side of the road is broken up by a charming surprise, Ravelin House.

Exploring the streets of Old Portsmouth you can find many examples of Georgian Portsmouth Terraces...

...and the rather understated but charming, Portsmouth City Cathedral.

Portsmouth is full of generations old, Inns, Pubs, Bars and Restaurants.

Full of character, you can imagine these old Inns full of the Merchanters and Sailors of old. The Sally Port Inn, is a genuine example of a real, centuries old Sailors Inn.

That is it for Part 2, for Part 3 I hope to bring you Southsea, Portsmouth's Victorian Seaside.
Old March 16th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #8
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

Great pics ill tonkso.

In reference to the second picture; I don't believe there was ever a power station on that site. That was the site of the original Vosper shipyard. The power station was to the East of Gunwharf Rd. conveyors carried the coal across the road from the dock (now the Isle of Wight ferry terminal).

You can see it in this pic; http://ww2.portsmouth-college.ac.uk/...?g2_itemId=653

And the shipyard can be seen better here; http://ww2.portsmouth-college.ac.uk/...?g2_itemId=596

You can see my mates new flat in the sixth pic.

Last edited by Pompey77; March 16th, 2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old March 16th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #9
ill tonkso

Ah you are right, the Power Station is where the 1980s Housing Estate is... I always wondered what went there before.
Old April 8th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #10
ill tonkso

Part Three
Southsea

The third part of my 'Around the Island' tour brings us to Southsea, one of the larger neighbourhoods in Portsmouth and argueably the nicest. I just put a deposit on an apartment here, right by the beach and am moving in on July 1st, this is what I have to look forward to...

We begin here at Palmerston Road, home to a number of small independent shops and restaurants, the centre of Southsea.

Emerging from Palmerston Road we reach these modern apartments on South Parade overlooking the Avenue de Caen and Southsea Common.

South Parade is home to the typical White Stucco Terrace, just like most seaside resorts.

Several postwar Towers sit amongst the charming Victorian Apartments that line the seafront and the streets beyond.

These Villas have been mainly converted into high quality apartments, however some remain as Villas for the Pompodian Rich.

More apartments overlooking the Beach and Gardens.

The view from these hi-rise apartments must be pretty impressive.

Leaving the Seafront I head to The Strand, where this mural decorates the end of a typical terrace building. Unfortunately the street clutter does little to enhance the view...

I head down another side street to these, the car has ruined this view of what could be a stunning place to live.

Heading back towards the Seafront I walk down this stunning street lined with Victorian Villas and Terraces.

Back along South Parade there are even more Victorian Terraces.

The well kept Royal Beach Hotel sits at the entrance to South Parade Pier, at night the Hotel is lit up in a cool blue.

More postwar apartments overlooking memorial gardens.

A vast majority of Portsmouth is built on Reclaimed Land and former Marshland, the Southsea Boating lake was left as a reminder of the vast expanses of water that once covered the island. It is now a popular place for locals and visitors alike. During the summer months, model boating meets take place here.

The Boating Lake is overlooked by more Victorian and 1930s apartments.

Portsmouth has a Sister Link with Maizuru in Japan, this garden was created as a symbol of the two Naval Cities friendship and was formerly dedicated by the Mayor of Portsmouth and Mayor of Maizuru.

Heading back towards the Harbourmouth, we have the Rock Gardens. A peaceful oasis of hundreds of different plants and flowers set around two landscaped ponds. Stone paths wind there way through the gardens providing a fun place for kids to play whilst the parents sit in the sun amongst the flowers.

The streets of Southsea are a desirable place to live and are literally 10 minutes walk from Portsmouth City Centre. They form a large part of Portsmouths Inner City and are not what many expect to find upon visiting.

Taken from the end of my future street, we have more White Stucco apartments overlooking open green space. The vast acres of Green Space are popular with students in the summer for BBQ's, you can't be a student in Portsmouth and not enjoy a BBQ on Southsea Common.

Castle Road offers a mix of unique Shops and centuries old architecture.

And Finally, something only Portsmouth has now. A working, commuter Hovercraft Route. Easy way to spot a Tourist in Portsmouth? Pompodians casually walk on by

Thats all for Part 3, I taking these today in the Easter Sun. Gave myself epic Brain Freeze from a Slush Puppy in the process...
Old April 9th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #11
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 15

Very nice, but why no photos of the sea part, especially if your new place overlooks the sea.
Old April 10th, 2009, 01:14 AM   #12
cardiff

Likes (Received): 1883

Great photos, you should put them in the world forums!
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #13
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 1213

Excellent piccies and lots of lovely looking buildings - typical of the sunny South Coast! . I totally agree with cardiff though about promoting Portsmouth in the world forums. Look forward to more sometime.
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #14
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 337

What a fantastic city you have! Thanks for the tour.
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #15
ill tonkso

Part Four
Paulsgrove and Wymering

For Part four I decided to show off my own neighbourhood before I move to Southsea. I give you, Paulsgrove and Wymering, a large council area of Mainland Portsmouth nestled between Portsmouth Harbour and the South Downs.

We start in the business area of Paulsgrove, mainly low rise offices and light industry. This new build is a new Research and Development centre for Raymarine.

Before the postwar expansion and land reclaimation of the area, the small village of Wymering stood for hundreds of years surrounded by fields until the land was redeveloped with Social housing. The church still stands today.

Just up from the church, Southampton road acts as the main thoroughfare through the neighbourhood. 3 story blocks of council flats line it on both sides.

Currently undergoing a huge expansion to become Portsmouths primary hospital, Queen Alexandra Hospital looms over Wymering with it's bulky 8 story blocks and multi story car-parks.

Wymering it'self is quite well planned with large open green spaces to break up the streetscape and give the kids somewhere to play.

Heading into the east end of Paulsgrove, the housing stock changes to these prefabricated designs....

... and the locally Iconic, 'Tin Top' housing.

In the centre of Paulsgrove, there is a small area of parkland and a row of shops. The area has improved dramatically over the last decade or so and the area around the shops provide a strong example of what a little investment can do to an estate.

Overlooking the park we have Paulsgrove Church...

...where the people were kind enough to allow me to take a photograph inside. Pleased that someone was trying to portray Paulsgrove in a more positive light than its negative reputation does.

At the highest point in Paulsgrove, there are more blocks of flats. Unfortunately a family sat outside their flats didn't take to kindly to me being there and I had to get away before they gave me some serious trouble. It is exactly these sort of people that give Paulsgrove it's bad reputation and spoil for the rest of us.

I was however, able to quickly snap this Skyline shot and get away before I got my head kicked in.

Safely away from the Chavscum, I treated myself to a visit here. This is the cul-de-sac where I lived from birth till I was 13. One of the quieter streets of Paulsgrove thanks to it's location right on the edge. A lot more cars than I remember, though not much else has changed in 8 years.

Thats it for Part Four, Paulsgrove and Wymering. I am happy to say the area has improved in the last decade, there has been a lot of investment here which it oh so desperately needed before and it has made a real difference. Unfortunately the same small minority of people still spoil the area for common decent people. There attitude and disrespect is what brings areas like this down, but with strong community spirit and a positive outlook. Places like Paulsgrove and Wymering can be great places to live, work and start a family.
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #16
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

Excelent skyline shot there. I agree this area has improved dramatically in recent years sadly its reputation is still quite bad. QA is a mighty impressive place these days.
Old April 18th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #17
eyeam

Likes (Received): 35

Looks like an interesting little city

I wouldn't mind a visit after looking through your photos
eyeam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #18
cardiff

Likes (Received): 1883

Its not much smaller than Liverpool eyeam so dont be patronising.
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 02:56 PM   #19
rusgeren
Rusgeren

Likes (Received): 1

Wow, this city is great! It looks very well-kept and clean.
Moreover it's amazing, that in this area prosper subtrobical plants
rusgeren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #20
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 3450

Since I was in Portsmouth myself just a couple of days ago, it's very interesting to see this photo tour. I guess I learn more from this thread than by actually walking in Portsmouth myself

And the Spinnaker tower is fascinating... in fact when my friend suggested to go to Portsmouth my reaction was "is that the city with that cool tower?" . Perhaps I will think of paying a trip next time and take some shots of the skyline from further away.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: