daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 16th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #1
JoKo65

Likes (Received): 86

MOSCOW | Monorail

More pictures (four pages): http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/Moscow01.html

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #2
Micrav
Live!

Likes (Received): 16

Never I could imagine there could be such a beautiful monorail in Moscow.
Who manufactured it?
Micrav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #3
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

Intamin.
JustinB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #4
ruslan33

Likes (Received): 333

Joko you are doing great work by opening russian transportation threads.
ruslan33 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:34 AM   #5
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

http://www.mnweekly.ru/local/20080228/55313323.html

28/02/2008 | Moscow News,№08 2008
Monorail Expansion

Moscow's monorail, which for the moment comprises a single line in the North of Moscow, is set to expand around the city, said deputy mayor Pyotr Biryukov last week. He claims that since the fare has gone down and the trains became more regular, the daily number of passengers has increased sevenfold.

"We are now working on a proposal to introduce the system to other main areas where there is no metro," he announced, adding that there are wide roads where the construction of a monorail would not disturb the traffic nor harm green areas and woodland.

The 4.7 kilometer monorail services the North-Western administrative district of Moscow, running from Timiryazevskaya to VDNKh, comprises six stations in total. It currently offers more convenient access between the orange and grey lines without passengers having to go all the way down to the circle line and back up again. Its popularity increased immensely in January of this year when it stopped operating in its "touring mode" at 50 rubles a fare. It now runs as a regular means of transport, and at 19 rubles it costs the same as the metro. The trains are also more regular, with 5 minute intervals instead of 20.

"I think it would be a great thing if the monorail was extended because it might offer a partial solution to the traffic problem, particularly if it rivaled the metro on some routes and included routes towards the center," says expat Theresa Cameron who lives at Timiryazevskaya. "The monorail is comfortable, if a little slow, but I don't think it is necessarily a good thing if it is going to ply routes where there is no metro and outside of the center. I've heard it's very expensive to build."

Currently the monorail is of benefit only to people who live or work in the north of the city.

"I think they should build one from Oktyabrskoe pole, where I live, to Kurkino, where I work!" jokes Lyusia Guerassimova, an English teacher who enjoys an occasional ride on the monorail. "It isn't particularly crowded, less so than the metro anyway. It's as good as the metro but with a more interesting view than a black tunnel!" I just wish it were in a more convenient place for me to use on a daily basis!"

By Nathalie Cooper
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 06:00 AM   #6
anm
имярек

Likes (Received): 5842

by bybyflickr from FLICKR

image hosted on flickr
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"Воображаемый мир приносит вполне реальные выгоды, если заставить жить в нем других." Веслав Брудзиньский
anm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #7
sturman
Имперская морда

Likes (Received): 11877

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
Intamin.
Intamin was a prototype for cars design. Linear induction motor is completely russian-made.
sturman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #8
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 927

It's quite odd that you can't walk through the whole car. Instead you are locked into a eight passenger cell. This doesn't look very safe to me. It might scare of passengers, especially women, in the dark.

I counted six segments, that means there are 48 seats per car. That's nothing. I found something on the german Wikipedia about it:

Quote:
Die Rentabilität der Moskauer Monorailbahn ist fraglich. Die Bahn wurde anfangs von nur ein paar Hundert Fahrgästen täglich genutzt, was insofern nicht verwundert, als die Monorailzüge mitunter kaum schneller sind als etwa die parallel verkehrenden Straßenbahnen. Die Planung weiterer Monorail-Strecken in Moskau wurde daher kurz nach ihrer Inbetriebnahme zurückgestellt und mittlerweile vollständig verworfen. Auch die ursprünglich angestrebte Verbindung zu den Moskauer Flughäfen wird nicht mehr erwogen, zumal diese derzeit ohnehin an das Eisenbahnnetz angebunden werden. Insgesamt ist also die Moskauer Monorailbahn nach dem bisherigen Stand der Dinge eher als Attraktion denn als vollwertiges Nahverkehrsmittel zu sehen. Nach Senkung der Fahrpreise im Januar 2008 konnte die Fahrgastzahl der Moskauer Monorail immerhin auf rund 6000 Fahrgäste pro Tag gesteigert werden.
Translation: Rentability of Moscow Monorail is questionable. In the beginning it was only used by several hundred passengers a day, which is no suprise as the monorailtrains are barely faster than the parallel tramway. Planning of further monorails in Moscow were stopped shortly after it began to operate and in the meantime completely canceled. Even the initially planned connection with Moscow's airports was dropped, as they are currently connected to the railway network anyways. Altogether Moscow's Monorail should currently be regarded as an attraction, rather than a full transit system. After ticket prices were lowered in January 2008 the number of passenger increased to about 6000 passengers a day.

Yet another example how monorail fails.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #9
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

I always have issues with the viaducts for these things; it's very hard to build viaducts that don't get in the way. I've only ever seen a viaduct that sorta disappeared into the background once in my life.

Having said that; the monorail looks nice. We should try something like that in Europe.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #10
Ahmad Rashid Ahmad
Sapphire

Likes (Received): 6194

Beautiful
Ahmad Rashid Ahmad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #11
JustinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturman View Post
Intamin was a prototype for cars design. Linear induction motor is completely russian-made.
Thanks.
Old March 17th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #12
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Having said that; the monorail looks nice. We should try something like that in Europe.
You do realize that Moscow Monorail completely failed?
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #13
JustinB

I do not know if it actually "failed". It certainly did not live up to expectations, and the it took 4 years, before it was fully operational, and able to run trains at 5 minutes. I would not call it a success, that is for sure. But it's not a total failure.

One interesting fact: The system uses loops at each end, and there does not seem to be switches along the line.
Old March 18th, 2009, 01:43 AM   #14
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 7001

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
number of passengers jumped in 5 times last year. it's might be technically not perfect, but they are working on fixes.
Old March 18th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #15
hokomoko

Likes (Received): 86

Super
hokomoko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 03:56 AM   #16
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

I can understand the resentment of the Moscow Monorail on the part of light rail supporters. The Moscow Monorail was built at the same time that tram lines were being cutback in Moscow and other cities of the former Soviet Union.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #17
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 859

The Moscow Monorail at first had disappointing passenger levels because the transit users had to pay significantly more to use it than regular transit. They got rid of that two tiered fare system and since then ridership has soared to subway levels. It's such a sucess that Moscow is planning on constructing another 40km.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #18
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
Most such projects suffer from a vast array of different start-up problems. That doesn't mean it's impossible to turn them into a success.

Especially in Western Europe where public transport is very popular compared to the rest of the world.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #19
Micrav
Live!

Likes (Received): 16

I recommand to make boa like the inside, only one volume interconnected. Would be much more convenient than the current system of cells and would be able to carry more passengers... Sure, price was the main obstacle... To finance such an investment... Now, operators understand...
Micrav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #20
JustinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_christine View Post
I can understand the resentment of the Moscow Monorail on the part of light rail supporters. The Moscow Monorail was built at the same time that tram lines were being cutback in Moscow and other cities of the former Soviet Union.
And here we go again!

What resentment? In a sense, the monorail was a failure for the first 4 years. Do you deny this? It took 4 years for the Russians to get the system to a 5 minute headway, and to make the price reasonable. Now it seems to be running fine, and actually meeting it's projected goals. It's not a success, but it's not a total failure.

Why is it always a LRT vs. Monorail issue with you?

And ssiguy2, 7000 people a day is not subway figures. It is far, far below what a typical Moscow Metro line can handle

Last edited by JustinB; March 18th, 2009 at 04:42 PM.