daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 18th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #21
anm
имярек

Likes (Received): 5832

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_christine View Post
http://www.mnweekly.ru/local/20080228/55313323.html

28/02/2008 | Moscow News,№08 2008
Monorail Expansion

"I think it would be a great thing if the monorail was extended because it might offer a partial solution to the traffic problem, particularly if it rivaled the metro on some routes and included routes towards the center," says expat Theresa Cameron who lives at Timiryazevskaya. "The monorail is comfortable, if a little slow, but I don't think it is necessarily a good thing if it is going to ply routes where there is no metro and outside of the center. I've heard it's very expensive to build."

By Nathalie Cooper
Well, I wish somebody could comment on the diffferences in the cost of construction and operation of monorail vs light metro. Light metro is faster and can handle much larger passenger traffic. Monorail has better looks, and perhaps is more quiet. But does it really make sense comparing to construction of elevated light metro?
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"Воображаемый мир приносит вполне реальные выгоды, если заставить жить в нем других." Веслав Брудзиньский
anm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:59 AM   #22
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
Why is it always a LRT vs. Monorail issue with you?
Believe it or not, there are light rail enthusiasts who jump on every thread about monorail, maglev, BRT, or PRT to express their prejudices against any system that doesn't have steel wheels.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #23
JoKo65

Likes (Received): 86

More pictures:

Old March 19th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #24
Shmack
Surfin' bird

Likes (Received): 9

As cute as useless..
Shmack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #25
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Believe it or not, there are light rail enthusiasts who jump on every thread about monorail, maglev, BRT, or PRT to express their prejudices against any system that doesn't have steel wheels.
LRT advocates are usually too busy presenting facts, reliable info, and well-supported arguments to counter the avalanche of misinformation, misconceptions, and sometime lies, that monorail, maglev, BRT, and PRT advocates like to post about rail transit.

Reading your posts, you seem to be guilty of this also.
JustinB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 05:13 AM   #26
greg_christine

I have been vocal about the low opinion I have of streetcars. I also have been vocal about the low opinion I have of the light rail system being built in Seattle. Seattle is basically building the infrastructure for a heavy rail metro but is operating light rail vehicles on it. On the other hand, I think the light rail line built in Charlotte is reasonably good. The Charlotte light rail line was less than a quarter the price per mile of the light rail system being built in Seattle. It has no on-street segments and all the crossings of streets are protected with railroad crossing gates. I even put together a pictorial of the Charlotte light rail line on this forum:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=823410

The transit mode should fit the corridor. For areas where there is no at-grade corridor that is separate from city streets except for occasional street crossings, monorail is a good choice. If a transit line has to be on the street, there is no point in paying for a rail system. BRT can do the job.

Last edited by greg_christine; March 21st, 2009 at 05:38 AM.
Old March 21st, 2009, 11:47 PM   #27
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

6000 people a day... could easily handled by buses... isn't that what you monorail advocates always say about LRT? And here for once it's true
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 11:53 PM   #28
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

Quote:
The Charlotte light rail line was less than a quarter the price per mile of the light rail system being built in Seattle.
erm, how many TBMs were required in Charlotte?....
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 01:04 AM   #29
FazilLanka

Likes (Received): 14

I love to travel by monorail in Moscow
FazilLanka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 01:49 AM   #30
JustinB

Quote:
I have been vocal about the low opinion I have of streetcars. I also have been vocal about the low opinion I have of the light rail system being built in Seattle. Seattle is basically building the infrastructure for a heavy rail metro but is operating light rail vehicles on it. On the other hand, I think the light rail line built in Charlotte is reasonably good. The Charlotte light rail line was less than a quarter the price per mile of the light rail system being built in Seattle. It has no on-street segments and all the crossings of streets are protected with railroad crossing gates. I even put together a pictorial of the Charlotte light rail line on this forum:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=823410
The system utilizes at-grade sections with signal priority. It's not heavy rail infrastructure. This is the problem. You post statements, that are not totally accurate.
Why compare costs between the system? Seattle's geography is clearly more varied, and complex than Charlotte. Obviously Charlotte's system does not extensive elevated structures, and tunnels. You are trying to discredit another advantage LRT has over Monorails: You can tailor a line to your needs, unlike Monorail, which must be grade-seperated no matter what.

Quote:
The transit mode should fit the corridor. For areas where there is no at-grade corridor that is separate from city streets except for occasional street crossings, monorail is a good choice. If a transit line has to be on the street, there is no point in paying for a rail system. BRT can do the job.
That's your opinion.
Monorails have not proven to be a viable mode. Japan experimented with Monorails, and are now focusing entirely on rail, with limited monorail expansion. If Monorails cannot be successful in a country with limited land available, how do you expect the mode to succeed in North America?
Right. So you are saying that Houston should have built Metrorail as BRT? I could imagine how many buses that would be in that corridor. It has been mentioned many times: People LIKE rail. Why do you think BRT advocates spend so much time, and effort trying to market BRT as "rail on wheels"? Too bad, the "BRT" systems that are built fail to live up to the claim.
And Rheintram is right: Why not just build BRT instead of the monorail, since by your logic, BRT could handle the job?
Old March 23rd, 2009, 04:07 AM   #31
greg_christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
6000 people a day... could easily handled by buses... isn't that what you monorail advocates always say about LRT? And here for once it's true
There is not much performance difference between a tram stuck in traffic and a bus stuck in traffic. Monorails and other grade-separated systems don't get stuck in traffic.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 04:16 AM   #32
greg_christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
erm, how many TBMs were required in Charlotte?....
This is exactly the point. Light rail can be a cost-effective option where there is an existing corridor that is largely separate from city streets. This was the case in Charlotte. In Seattle there was no existing corridor available. As a consequence, there was no cost savings for light rail compared to a heavy rail metro. Except for a short segment through the Rainier Valley, the Seattle light rail line will be grade-separated with much of the line is on viaducts or in tunnels. All the future extensions that have been proposed are also grade-separated. If a metro configuration powered via third rail had been chosen, there might actually have been a cost savings as light rail trains powered by overhead wires require larger diameter tunnels.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 01:11 PM   #33
paF4uko
Blow the Horn!

Likes (Received): 753

Old March 23rd, 2009, 01:38 PM   #34
greg_christine

The line had problems when it first started operation. The line is functioning just fine now. The design of a reliable power rail and pick-up shoe system is not a major technological hurdle.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 02:52 PM   #35
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6996

this photo is some 5 years old
Old March 23rd, 2009, 04:41 PM   #36
JustinB

Yeah. It took nearly 4 years for the amazing technology that is monorail to work properly. Definitely a better alternative than rail.
Old March 26th, 2009, 04:04 AM   #37
JoKo65

Moscow monorail photos on wiki:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca...ail?uselang=de
Old April 11th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #38
JoKo65

More photos:

Source: railfaneurope.net
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #39
naive.super
float-my-boat

Likes (Received): 2775

It seemed to me absolutely useless since the very first day.
It's been a while since I have been to Moscow, but a couple of
years ago I remember waiting for a bus close that Monorail Station daily,
and the monorail did not even operate.
As far as I am concerned it was a ridiculous waste of money on something that was not really needed. At the same time the city badly needs improvement of other modes of public transport.
I would prefer if the city would rather upgrade tram service, or at the very least finally get a proper dedicated lanes for trams, so that they do not get paralised when there is a car accident.....
naive.super no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:20 PM   #40
JoKo65