daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:20 AM   #3061
nouveau.ukiyo

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
-- Japan?

clickable (redirected...)

If this is trick videography, which I suspect it be, then it's very clever, or else locals' unfazed reactions leave me incredulous
I've seen pets on trains here but I think in general the rule is that pets must be inside a portable kennel, container, etc. The same goes for bicycles, they must be inside a bag or case in order to be taken onto trains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
You mean Tokyo. Please tell us, what more unusual occurrences happen on inner-city trains around that country?
Coincidentally, today Aum Shinrikyo member Seiichi Endo was sentenced to death for the 1995 Tokyo Metro Sarin Gas Attack which killed 13 and injured over 6,000: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarin_g...e_Tokyo_subway

Last edited by nouveau.ukiyo; November 22nd, 2011 at 10:45 AM.
nouveau.ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:25 PM   #3062
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

First time ever, having unwonted harm trivialised to unusualness for me ...
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 02:24 PM   #3063
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2091

Indeed, the subcapitalist paradigm of consensus and textual neocapitalist theory do pre-empt such innuendo.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 08:24 PM   #3064
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Fish translator?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 05:24 AM   #3065
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Fukuoka City reveals preliminary station location and design plans for Nanakuma Line extension to Hakata
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/region/news...2050000-n1.htm

Quote:
In regards to the proposed extension of the Fukuoka City Subway Nanakuma Line (Hashimoto – Tenjin Minami, 12 km) and direct connection into Hakata Station, on November 7 Hakata City revealed plans to establish a new station near Canal City Hakata (Hakata Ward, Fukuoka City) in the approximate midpoint of the extension alignment. The new terminal of the extension at Hakata Station will be directly connected to the Airport Line’s Hakata Station platforms, and passengers will be able to transfer without having to pass through faregates.

The news was revealed at the November 7 session of the City Council’s Transport Strategy Special Committee.

According to the city’s plans, the extension covers an approx. 1.6 km route from Tenjin Minami Station underneath Kokutai Dōro and Hakata Ekimae-dōri, and new stations would be established near Canal City Hakata and at Hakata Station.

The new station near Canal City Hakata would be established at the southeast side of the intersection of Kokutai Dōro and Hakata Ekimae-dōri. The station would be close to the East Building annex to Canal City that opened in late September, as well as to Kushida Shrine and tourist areas where traditional townhouses still remain, and the city believes that the extension will improve access to both the Tenjin and Hakata areas. The name of the station is as yet undecided.

The Nanakuma Line’s Hakata Station would be constructed underneath the station plaza outside the Hakata Exit of the station, connected to the Airport Line’s Hakata Station platforms by an approx. 150 m long passage.

The total project cost of the extension is approx. ¥45 billion. The city is aiming for a groundbreaking in FY2014 and an opening in FY2020.

The Nanakuma Line opened in February 2005, and daily ridership is approx. 63,000 (FY2010), falling far short of the original target of 110,000.

As a result, the city planned the extension with the aim of improving convenience. After analyzing a total of four alignments—the Tenjin Minami – Hakata route, a Tenjin Minami – Nakasu–Kawabata – waterfront route (approx. 2.3 km), a Tenjin Minami – Nakasu–Kawabata route (approx. 1.2 km), and a Yakuin – Hakata route (approx. 2.5 km)—the city determined that an extension to Hakata Station was best from a construction cost and profitability standpoint.

The city is forecasting approx. 21,000 new passengers as a result of the Hakata extension.
Canal City is technically only about ten minutes walking distance from Nakasu–Kawabata Station on the Airport Line, but a station much closer to the complex should be a big boon for them. The location of station exits hasn’t been determined yet, but there are plans to construct underground passages connecting directly to Canal City.

The total forecasted ridership on the extension is 68,000 passengers daily, some portion of which is probably people who currently take the Airport Line between Tenjin and Hakata. The extension is expected to begin earning operational profits six years after opening.

I also have a lot of pictures of the new Hakata Station and the Nanakuma Line from my visit to Fukuoka and will post those eventually once I get around to it.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 05:25 AM   #3066
quashlo

First round of service improvements for unification of Tōkyō Metro and Toei Subway announced
http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/to...302000036.html

Quote:
A plan to improve passenger service with an eye towards unification of the Tōkyō Metro and Toei Subway has begun moving. Starting with the demolition of the wall at Kudanshita Station separating the Tōkyō Metro Hanzōmon Line and Toei Shinjuku Line platforms, the ¥70 transfer discount at transfer stations will be expanded to include the Tōkyō Metro Hibiya Line’s Akihabara Station and the Toei Shinjuku Line’s Iwamotochō Station. A “Faregate Passage Service” that allows one system’s passengers to pass through the other system’s platforms for free will also be introduced. These measures will all be executed by FY2013.

The Faregate Passage Service will be offered at two stations: (1) Ichigaya Station (Tōkyō Metro Namboku Line and Yūrakuchō Line; Toei Shinjuku Line), and (2) Kōrakuen Station (Tōkyō Metro Marunouchi Line and Namboku Line) / Kasuga Station (Toei Ōedo Line and Mita Line). By allowing one company’s passengers to use the other company’s platforms and passages, users will be able to use the closest station exit to their destination, without the fear of getting wet on rainy days.

For example, in (1), users at Ichigaya Station can start at the Toei Subway’s Ichigaya Station underneath Yasukuni-dōri and pass through Metro passages to exit from the station exit along Sotobori-dōri above the Namboku Line. In (2), Mita Line users can reach the Tōkyō Dome exit by passing through the Ōedo Line and Namboku Line platforms.

The addition of Akihabara Station and Iwamotochō Station to the list of transfer stations is the 31st such example within Tōkyō Prefecture. The two stations are separated by approx. 150 m, and up until now have not been officially considered transfer stations, requiring passengers to pay the base fare for both systems when transferring. As one example, a trip between Ueno and Kudanshita that currently takes ¥330 will be reduced to ¥260.

In the Committee for the Unification of the Subway System in February of this year, Tōkyō Metro and the Tōkyō Metropolitan Government agreed to demolish the walls separating both the platform and station concourse levels at Kudanshita Station. The two parties also continued discussions on expanding the transfer discount.

Vice-Governor Inose Naoki, who is leading the effort, indicated his intention to continue the effort towards unification of the two systems: “The demolition of the walls at Kudanshita Station is one milestone in the unification of the subway network. Our efforts have created visible results.”

Vice-Governor Inose Naoki explains the walls separating the platforms at Kudanshita Station.
In terms of improving transfers through the Faregate Passage Service and hard improvements, there are also continuing discussions on the situations at Hongō Sanchōme Station (Tōkyō Metro Marunouchi Line and Toei Subway Ōedo Line) and Roppongi Station (Tōkyō Metro Hibiya Line and Toei Subway Ōedo Line).

Some images of the Faregate Passage Service from the Tōkyō Metro press release.

Red = Current route
Blue = Future alternative route with Faregate Passage Service

Kasuga Station

Ichigaya Station

Old November 25th, 2011, 05:25 AM   #3067
quashlo

Movement begins on Kamakama Line proposal to connect Kamata and Keikyū Kamata Stations, improve access to Haneda
http://www.j-cast.com/2011/11/20113525.html

Quote:
Tōkyū Corporation has entered into discussions with locals in order to construct a new rail line—the Kamakama Line (New Airport Line)—connecting Tōkyū’s Kamata Station and Keihin Electric Express Railway’s Keikyū Kamata Station.

The Kamakama Line proposal has already been recommended by the National Government’s Transport Policy Council for groundbreaking by 2015, and Tōkyū Corporation, Keihin Electric Express Railway, the National Government, the Tōkyō Metropolitan Government, Ōta Ward, and the Japan Railway Construction, Transport and Technology Agency (JRTT) have been investigating the project as part of a working group.

Improving convenience of access to Haneda Airport
In regards to the Kamakama Line, Tōkyū Corporation says, “We’ve just revealed the plans to construct the line to locals, and we are only just beginning discussions.” Local jurisdiction Ōta Ward says it hopes that the project can win the approval of all stakeholders.

Kamata Station is served by the JR Keihin–Tōhoku Line and Tōkyū’s Ikegami Line and Tamagawa Line, and transferring between JR and Tōkyū is easy. However, Kamata Station on the JR and Tōkyū lines is separated by about 800 m from Keikyū Kamata Station, and users have been complaining about the inconvenient transfers.

Keikyū Kamata Station connects to Haneda Airport. Tōkyū hopes to increase the convenience of accessing Haneda Airport, with the new line allowing direct service onto the Keikyū network to connect to Haneda.

Tōkyū users and residents living in neighborhoods along the Tōyoko Line, such as the Den’en Chōfu (Ōta Ward) and Futako–Tamagawa (Setagaya Ward) areas, will no longer need to transit via Shinagawa Station in order to reach Haneda Airport.

According to the plan, the Tōkyū Tamagawa Line platforms at Kamata Station would be rebuilt underground. Meanwhile, the section of the Keikyū Airport Line from Ōtorii Station to Keikyū Kamata Station would be rebuilt underground and extended all the way to Kamata Station, connecting directly with the underground platforms at Kamata Station. Passengers will be able to make cross-platform transfers at the new underground platforms at Kamata Station.

Ōta Ward officials explain, “The gauge differs between the Tōkyū lines and Keikyū lines. While introduction of new rolling stock such as a variable-gauge train that can run on multiple track gauges is under consideration, at this current time, we feel that an alternative that requires passengers to transfer is the more realistic option.”

While a variable-gauge train is currently being developed for the under-construction Nagasaki route of the Kyūshū Shinkansen, there are some who question the safety of the technology when used inside running trains. In addition, there are not a few issues left to be resolved, including the impacts to local residents and businesses—the Kamakama Line will require securing right-of-way, even if only for a mere 800 m.
Ōta Ward released the results of the FY2010 implementation study for the Kamakama Line on 2011.11.17:
http://www.city.ota.tokyo.jp/seikats...enntyousa.html

Details
Length: 3.1 km
Total project cost: Approx. ¥108 billion
Forecasted average daily ridership: Approx. 41,100 (Approx. 16,400 Airport-related passengers and 24,700 urban passengers)

Complete project payoff: 24 years after opening
Benefit-cost ratios: 1.5 (30 years after opening), 1.7 (50 years after opening)

Sensitivity analysis:
Complete payoff assuming 10% reduction in project cost: 21 years after opening
Complete payoff assuming 10% increase in project cost: 28 years after opening
Complete payoff assuming 10% reduction in ridership: 33 years after opening
Complete payoff assuming 10% increase in ridership: 19 years after opening

Image excerpts:

Map
Green = Tōkyū Tamagawa Line
Red = New Airport Line (Kamakama Line)
Blue = Keikyū Airport Line

The line will be single-track, but that shouldn’t be a problem given the short distances involved and will probably help to keep the costs down a bit.

Geographical distribution of monetary benefit.
The line will substantially benefit Ōta Ward and residents along the Tōkyū network. There is also a noticeable benefit along the Fukutoshin Line to Wakō-shi and beyond onto the Tōbu Tōjō Line and Seibu Ikebukuro Line.

Geographical distribution of travel time savings benefit

Geographical distribution of transfer elimination.
Areas along the Tōbu Tōjō Line and Seibu Ikebukuro Line would have one transfer eliminated.

Ridership origin

Old November 25th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #3068
quashlo

I recently returned from a 2.5-week trip and have a few pictures... I’ll gradually post them in bits as I get them processed. While railfanning was not a major objective of the trip, I did manage to get quite a few snaps of the trains and stations.

First up is Narita Airport stuff (2011.10.29):

Airport Terminal 2 Station, Keisei ticket counters:

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by quashlo, on Flickr

And just to the right are the JR ticket counters:

image hosted on flickr

As I was planning on taking JR, first thing I did was purchase a 入場券 (station entry-only ticket) for the Keisei / Sky Access platforms. Because there’s two different paid areas (one for Keisei and one for Sky Access), it can get a bit confusing, but they’ve color coded things, with blue for Keisei and orange for Sky Access.

image hosted on flickr

I really didn’t have a need to visit the Keisei half of the station, so it was straight to the Sky Access platforms for me.

image hosted on flickr

Old November 25th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #3069
quashlo

Signage is all orange:

image hosted on flickr

Peering over the fencing onto the Keisei half of the platforms. A bit lonely, but to be expected now that the Skyliner has been shifted off the Keisei Main Line and onto the Sky Access Line.

image hosted on flickr

LED information boards:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old November 25th, 2011, 05:27 AM   #3070
quashlo

Skyliner 28 for Keisei Ueno arriving… I kind of wanted to test out the Skyliner, but I had so many other things to do and not enough time. With a JR pass already purchased and a hotel in Ikebukuro, it just made much more sense to go with the N’EX.

image hosted on flickr

Side destination signs are full-color LED:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old November 25th, 2011, 05:28 AM   #3071
quashlo

If I remember correctly, the Keisei half of the platform is actually not long enough for eight-car formations, and some cars jut into the Sky Access half of the platform. I didn’t stick around for that, though.

image hosted on flickr

Benches feature kabuki face painting styles:

image hosted on flickr

Opposite platform / track is JR. With improvements to the station, Keisei / Sky Access share two tracks and an island platform, but JR only has a single platform.

image hosted on flickr

Six-car Keisei Main Line limited express:

image hosted on flickr

Old November 25th, 2011, 05:28 AM   #3072
quashlo

12-car Narita Express arrives on the JR side:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

This 6-car half goes to Yokohama, the other to Shinjuku. Other trains terminate as far as Ōmiya, Ōfuna, Takao, and Ikebukuro.

image hosted on flickr

Not sure what these are, but I like them.

image hosted on flickr

Old November 25th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #3073
AG

Likes (Received): 545

That last bit of artwork at Airport Terminal 2 looks like a row of torii gates.
AG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #3074
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Oh yeah, I forgot that there are two train companies operating at Narita Airport (just like Haneda Airport with Tokyo Monorail and Keikyu).

Btw, what's the difference between Narita Express and Keisei Skyliner?

P.S.
Oh and are there any plans to install platform screen doors or platform gates at train stations of Narita Airport?

Based on crude info I've gathered, here is the current status so far regarding platform doors/platform gates on the five airport hubs/first class airports in Japan:

1) Tokyo Narita - none
2) Tokyo Haneda - only on Tokyo Monorail; none on Keikyu platform(s)
3) Kansai International Airport Osaka - none
4) Osaka International Airport (Itami) - none (Osaka Monorail)
5) Chubu Centrair Airport (Aichi area) - none (Nagoya Railroad/Meitetsu)

So yeah, any plans on installation of doors and gates?
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 02:13 AM   #3075
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40882

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Skyliner 28 for Keisei Ueno arriving… I kind of wanted to test out the Skyliner, but I had so many other things to do and not enough time. With a JR pass already purchased and a hotel in Ikebukuro, it just made much more sense to go with the N’EX.

image hosted on flickr

Side destination signs are full-color LED:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Part of Keisei Narita Sky Access was built on planned Narita Shinkansen (high-speed rail of JNR between Tokyo and Narita Airport), that was cancelled in 1987, right?

Ah, very nice pics! It's sad to know that there aren't flights from Brazil (my country) to Japan, since JAL finished the flight São Paulo-New York-Narita in 2011...

Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 05:50 AM   #3076
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6998

There are tones of planes from Sao Paulo to Narita at every taste - via New York, via Washington, via Istanbul, via Frankfurt etc etc

List of airlines with full own flight (with one change) from Yandex Tickets
- Lufthansa
- American Airlines
- Air China
- Swiss International Air Lines
- Japan Airlines
- Korean Air
- Qatar Airways
- South African Airways
- Emirates
- Delta Airlines
- United Airlines

Cheapest of nearest flights is Qatar Airways QR 922/QR 802 via Doha 04:20, November 28 local time ~$1490 econom class (no info on hidden payments)
http://ticket.yandex.ru/variants/?fr...tionTo=9600455

Last edited by coth; November 26th, 2011 at 06:04 AM.
coth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 05:56 AM   #3077
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
So yeah, any plans on installation of doors and gates?
Installing platform gates at terminal stations is a low priority due to the low approach speeds of trains. More important is at intermediate stations where trains pass through at full speeds, or have high approach speeds before stopping. You have to remember also, the wide variety of rolling stock with different door spacing that is the reality of railway operations. There are efforts underway to design barriers that have moveable/adjustable doors that adjust to specific car types, however.

By the way, a big deal is made about platform barriers being installed/not installed in Japan, but how about the UK?- after all, it also universally uses high platform loading (in fact Japan adopted the practice from them, rather than the low platform practice of the US or Germany, who also helped build Japan's first railways).
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #3078
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
1) Tokyo Narita - none
2) Tokyo Haneda - only on Tokyo Monorail; none on Keikyu platform(s)
3) Kansai International Airport Osaka - none
4) Osaka International Airport (Itami) - none (Osaka Monorail)
5) Chubu Centrair Airport (Aichi area) - none (Nagoya Railroad/Meitetsu)
Corrections / amendments:
  • Keikyū has platform doors at the Haneda Airport International Terminal Station.
  • Ōsaka Airport Station has (fixed) platform fencing.
Installation of platform doors is (rightfully) being prioritized at stations which serve many times more passengers than the typical airport station. The issues related to rolling stock design mentioned by k.k.jetcar are a major obstacle for airports (1), (3), and (5), as they are served by both limited express and standard commuter EMUs that have entirely different seating configurations, carlengths, and door placement.
Old November 26th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #3079
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG View Post
That last bit of artwork at Airport Terminal 2 looks like a row of torii gates.
You're right... Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodalvesdepaula View Post
Part of Keisei Narita Sky Access was built on planned Narita Shinkansen (high-speed rail of JNR between Tokyo and Narita Airport), that was cancelled in 1987, right?
Yes.
Old November 26th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #3080
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40882

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
There are tones of planes from Sao Paulo to Narita at every taste - via New York, via Washington, via Istanbul, via Frankfurt etc etc

List of airlines with full own flight (with one change) from Yandex Tickets
- Lufthansa
- American Airlines
- Air China
- Swiss International Air Lines
- Japan Airlines
- Korean Air
- Qatar Airways
- South African Airways
- Emirates
- Delta Airlines
- United Airlines

Cheapest of nearest flights is Qatar Airways QR 922/QR 802 via Doha 04:20, November 28 local time ~$1490 econom class (no info on hidden payments)
http://ticket.yandex.ru/variants/?fr...tionTo=9600455
But, JAL was the only airline that flight São Paulo-Tokyo without change of plane. Today, many people flight from Brazil to Japan via Lufthansa (with change in Frankfurt) and British (via Heathrow).

Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote