daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:03 PM   #3201
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

VRE may tap Sumitomo for commuter railcar order
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...rEQ_story.html

Quote:
A Tokyo-based multinational company should receive a more than $20 million contract for eight new Virginia Railway Express passenger cars, the railroad’s Operations Board recommended Friday.

Under the deal, a New York-based subsidiary of Sumitomo Corp. would build the cars for an amount not to exceed $23.1 million. The rail cars would replace equipment that is more than 40 years old.

Zehner said that VRE officials hoped to find a company that could handle the entire process within the United States but that there were no takers on what was considered a relatively small order. The weakness of the American dollar compared with the Japanese yen was one factor that forced the cost up, he said.

Although the cars will be built in the United States, much of the engineering work will be done in Japan, he said.
Full article is at the link.
If the deal goes through, these would probably be built by Nippon Sharyō, which has built more than a few commuter railcars for the U.S. market.

Thanks to ukiyo for finding the article.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2012, 02:22 PM   #3202
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

I can say with 100 per cent certainty that they will be built by Nippon Sharyo U.S.A. in Rochelle, Illinois.
Quote:
Since its beginning in 1982, Nippon Sharyo U.S.A. has partnered with Sumitomo Corporation of America to produce and deliver rail cars for North America.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:22 PM   #3203
quashlo

Been sitting on these for a while now… Here’s some more pics from my trip last November.

Platform doors on the Marunouchi Line (Ochanomizu Station)

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by quashlo, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

JR Ochanomizu Station

image hosted on flickr

Chūō special rapid (the faster service on the Chūō rapid line)

image hosted on flickr

Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:23 PM   #3204
quashlo

The regular “local” rapid service

image hosted on flickr

The Chūō Line is quadruple-tracked between Ochanomizu (2.6 km) and Mitaka (24.1 km), with local and rapid services completely segregated. The rapid trains terminate at Tōkyō, but the local trains continue to / from the Sōbu Line as far as Chiba. However, there have been proposals to extend the Keiyō Line in a new deep tunnel underneath central Tōkyō and interline it with the Chūō Rapid Line.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:24 PM   #3205
quashlo

Very happy to see the continued “diversification” of signage… A relatively simple measure that should make it easier for overseas tourists to use the system.

image hosted on flickr

The Chiyoda Line has a unique name for its station (Shin-Ochanomizu Station), despite the fact that it is relatively close to the JR station.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Platform staff are a common sight at large transfer stations, doing everything from announcing train arrivals, ensuring passenger safety, getting the doors closed safely during rush hour, orchestrating coupling/decoupling of trains, etc.

image hosted on flickr

Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:24 PM   #3206
quashlo

Young children are a frequent sight on trains, in many cases traveling alone or in groups to / from school.

image hosted on flickr

Passengers transferring from the Tōkyō-bound rapid to the Chiba-bound local.

image hosted on flickr

Passengers transferring in the opposite direction, from Mitaka-bound local to Takao-bound rapid. There’s steps in the middle of the platform here due to height differences between the local and rapid tracks. Further down the platform, there’s also a very low ceiling where passengers have to dive under the arches. Of course, these features would never pass muster with accessibility requirements nowadays. The station building and plaza are getting a facelift, but I don’t believe we’ll be seeing much change here for a while.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:25 PM   #3207
quashlo

A Mitaka-bound local crosses the Kanda River from Akihabara and pulls into the station…

image hosted on flickr

The famous train confluence. I got five this time: two Marunouchi Line trains at bottom, two Chūō Local trains, and one Chūō Rapid train.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:25 PM   #3208
quashlo

Only three this time…

image hosted on flickr

Tōkyō Metro map. Like most transit systems in Japan, fares are distance-based.

image hosted on flickr

These LED dot matrix signs look ancient compared to the new LCDs that are being installed nowadays…

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:26 PM   #3209
quashlo

Stations are numbered on the Tōkyō Metro network with the letter of the line, plus a number. The Marunouchi Line is special in that it has a branch line to Hōnanchō, which is given a lowercase “m” to distinguish it from the main branch to Ogikubo.

image hosted on flickr

The labyrinth of Ōtemachi Station, Tōkyō Metro’s largest transfer station.
Many people who use this station regularly complain about the transfer, as the four Metro lines and one Toei Subway line form a giant box that generally increases walking distance compared to a more compact interchange design. Station exits are also numbered, which makes it much easier to navigate the larger stations. After exiting the faregates, you just look for the station exit map somewhere on a nearby wall and then follow the overhead signs.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Tōkyō Metro was also constructing a new underground passage when I visited, further expanding the maze under Ōtemachi, which connects down to Tōkyō Station and all the way down to the Ginza area. It appears that this an extension of the existing underground passage underneath Eitai-dōri to bring the entrances closer to the Ōte-mon (Ōte Gate) of the Imperial Palace... It might be related to the large construction site in the background, likely a new office building.

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by quashlo; January 23rd, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old January 24th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #3210
quashlo

A large segment of Uchibori-dōri encircling the east side of the Imperial Palace is restricted only to bicycles on Sundays.

image hosted on flickr

Everyone takes the train, even priests.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Ikebukuro Station, Yamanote Line

image hosted on flickr

Old January 24th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #3211
quashlo

To the right are the Tōbu Tōjō Line platforms, adjacent to the JR platforms on the west side. A bit ironic, as Tōbu (short for “East Musashi” or “East Tōkyō”) is on the west side of the station, while Seibu (short for “West Musashi” or “West Tōkyō”) is on the east side of the station.

image hosted on flickr

12:36 Platform 2, Rapid for Shinrin Kōen (10 cars)
12:48 Platform 2, Rapid for Ogawamachi (10 cars)
12:50 Platform 1, Semi-express for Kawagoe-shi (10 cars)
13:00 Platform 2, Rapid for Ogawamachi (10 cars)

Missing are the locals, which depart from Platform 4 at 12:39, 12:44, and 12:53. There’s also through-service trains from the Tōkyō Metro Yūrakuchō Line and Fukutoshin Line, but those depart from their respective Tōkyō Metro stations underground.

image hosted on flickr

View from the “railfan window”… The cab partitions in many Japanese trains have windows, so this is always a fun spot if you are railfan.

Komagome Station, Yamanote Line

image hosted on flickr

Tōhoku Shinkansen viaduct is at left

image hosted on flickr

Old January 24th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #3212
quashlo

Tabata Station

image hosted on flickr

Keihin-Tōhoku Line rapid for Isogo
The Keihin-Tōhoku Line and Yamanote Line run parallel on the east side of the Yamanote Line loop. During the weekday midday period, the Keihin-Tōhoku Line had rapid services which make limited stops in the Yamanote Line loop.

image hosted on flickr

Jōban Line inner-suburban rapid laying over near Uguisudani Station

image hosted on flickr

Ueno Station

image hosted on flickr

Old January 24th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #3213
quashlo

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Another train on the counterclockwise loop. To the left is an Utsunomiya Line train laying over, as well as the construction for the Tōhoku Through Line, which will mean these trains will no longer have to terminate at Ueno.

image hosted on flickr

Akihabara Station
The giant series of columns in the middle here support the Sōbu Local Line, which flies overhead on a high viaduct to form a “t”-shaped interchange.

image hosted on flickr

Old January 24th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #3214
quashlo

Tōhoku Through Line construction
This should be an impressive sight when complete, with 15-car commuter trains flying up and over the Shinkansen tracks in a double-decked aerial structure.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Rapid for Ōfuna on the Negishi Line in Kamakura

image hosted on flickr

Old January 24th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #3215
quashlo

image hosted on flickr

Sōbu Local Line platforms

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old January 24th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #3216
quashlo

Do you see what I see?
Akihabara is ground zero for otaku culture in Tōkyō, and that includes train modeling.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Tsukuba Express Akihabara Station
Although often left out of discussions of Tōkyō’s major terminals, Akihabara is still very impressive, with 230,000 daily JR entries, 121,000 daily Tōkyō Metro entries and exits, and 57,000 daily TX entries. Major redevelopment around the station and the opening of the TX have spurred a rebirth of the area in recent years.

image hosted on flickr

Old January 24th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #3217
quashlo

The station plaza on the east side. There’s some ongoing construction, I believe related to the TX platform extensions from six to eight carlengths.

image hosted on flickr

Back on the Sōbu Local Line platforms.
Vending machines are ubiquitous in train stations, and JR East has been rolling out these next-generation machines with touchsreen LCDs. They also contain a facial recognition camera to determine the age and gender of customers and make recommendations based on the information.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old January 24th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #3218
quashlo

Imperial platforms at Harajuku Station
These are rarely in use anymore, as any train travel done by the Imperial Family is usually by Shinkansen.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Omotesandō Station, Tōkyō Metro Chiyoda Line

image hosted on flickr

Kasumigaseki Staiton
New 16000 series train

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old January 24th, 2012, 05:47 AM   #3219
quashlo

JR Ikebukuro Station
Morning rush hour on the Saikyō Line:

image hosted on flickr

Ikebukuro is the first major Central Tōkyō interchange for Saikyō Line passengers, as it’s the first connection with the Tōkyō Metro service, making for a lot of alighting passengers. As Ikebukuro is also the terminus for two major private railway lines (Seibu Ikebukuro Line and Tōbu Tōjō Line), there’s also many passengers getting on at this stop to get to Shinjuku, Shibuya, or beyond.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old January 24th, 2012, 05:48 AM   #3220
quashlo

Conductor pushes the button to begin the departure melody and door closure process:

image hosted on flickr

The platform staff (the so-called oshiya, or “pusher”) does a visual check to make sure that there are no passengers having difficulties getting into the train. Of course, his job isn’t to cram as many people in as possible, but only to assist anyone who is trying to get on and make sure they can do so without getting themselves or their belongings trapped in the door. The armband gives his official job title, which is 案内補助 (“information assistant”).

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I was heading for Kamakura, so I boarded a Shōnan-Shinjuku Line train, packed to the gills as expected, SRO… Crowding eased after Musashi Kosugi in Kawasaki, and I was able to get a seat at that point.

Yokohama Station
Platforms 10 and 11 serve the Yokosuka Line and Shōnan-Shinjuku Line, and were recently widened… It’s not hard to see why.

image hosted on flickr