daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 25th, 2012, 01:18 AM   #3241
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

The Enoden logo is a stylized version of the character 江, short for Enoshima (江ノ島).

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by quashlo, on Flickr

Sumitomo Metal CSD-90 couplers
Sumitomo Metal is famous for producing wheels for all of Japan’s trains. They’ve also produced quite a lot of equipment for overseas trains, including the wheels, axles, disc brakes, gears, and couplers on the Taiwan HSR, which are 100% Sumitomo Metals equipment.

image hosted on flickr

Our train for Fujisawa

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2012, 02:10 AM   #3242
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5754

That Enoden looks like a nice relaxed ride through suburban Japan.

They don't pack them to the gills like they do at Ikebukuro. :-)
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 02:31 AM   #3243
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

I wonder how many people notice the train in Randen colours, since the liveries are so similar. By the way, I found a photo of the Randen train in Enoden livery on Wikimedia Commons.

I noticed that some of the Enoden signs are pretty old school too. The Hase sign appears to have hand-drawn lettering - compare the shape of the G in "Gokurakuji" and "Yuigahama".
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:45 AM   #3244
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
They don't pack them to the gills like they do at Ikebukuro. :-)
Hm, it can get somewhat bad actually... There's some schools along the line and it's still a feeder for the JR lines at Ōfuna and Fujisawa, so during the weekdays it's got a regular "rush hour" like other lines, although probably not as bad as Ikebukuro. I've heard stories about really bad overcrowding on the weekends, though, when everybody is out visiting Kamakura and Enoshima. If you want to see the Great Buddha Statue, for example, Enoden is really the most convenient choice. The last time I went to Kamakura was on a weekend, and I remember the JR trains being quite crowded then... I timed my visit this trip on a weekday (Monday) since I wanted to avoid all the people.

The busiest the line ever gets is during Golden Week, when there's a series of consecutive holidays and they have to limit access to the platforms:
http://vivavynal.cocolog-nifty.com/p...5/p1060518.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gag Halfrunt View Post
I wonder how many people notice the train in Randen colours, since the liveries are so similar. By the way, I found a photo of the Randen train in Enoden livery on Wikimedia Commons.
Yes, that's the one. I doubt a lot of regular riders really notice, it's mostly just a promotion thing to get railfans from one area to visit the other. To be honest, neither livery is really fantastic, although the Randen colors do look a bit drab juxtaposed to the Enoden colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gag Halfrunt View Post
I noticed that some of the Enoden signs are pretty old school too. The Hase sign appears to have hand-drawn lettering - compare the shape of the G in "Gokurakuji" and "Yuigahama".
Randen's got some similar old-school signs (I'll post them here later when I get to the Kyōto pics)... The two systems have a very similar feel, actually.
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #3245
inno4321

Likes (Received): 12549

I love japan

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321
inno4321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #3246
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Randen's got some similar old-school signs (I'll post them here later when I get to the Kyōto pics)... The two systems have a very similar feel, actually.
I saw your Randen pics in your massive travelogue thread and thought that it had the same running-through-backyards vibe as Enoden.

P.S. I first encountered Enoden in Akira Kurosawa's film High and Low, from 1963, where the railway is involved in a crucial plot development.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #3247
quashlo

Yeah, Kamakura / Enoshima / Shōnan area is a really popular setting for TV shows, movies, music, etc., and the Enoden is frequently part of that. I think this video by a railfan should help explain why the Enoden is so popular, even among non-railfans, at least better than my photos can... The scene @ 2:34 up the hill is the typical filming location, with the train and ocean in the background.

Old January 25th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #3248
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

Thanks quashlo for all you do on this blog! I frequent this page often looking forward to your updates!

I wanted to share a few pictures from my experience on a subway Green Car. I think my subway fare was about 10 US dollars and the upgrade was close to $10 so it was pretty expensive, but worth doing once for the experience!

image hosted on flickr

This is the upper level of the green car.
image hosted on flickr

This is the lower level of the green car.
image hosted on flickr

This is me enjoying some coffee and a snack.
image hosted on flickr

Can someone please explain this switch. I cannot figure out what type of vehicle would use this and if this operates or not.
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by lkstrknb; January 25th, 2012 at 09:41 PM. Reason: edit
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #3249
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstrknb View Post
I wanted to share a few pictures from my experience on a subway Green Car. I think my subway fare was about 10 US dollars and the upgrade was close to $10 so it was pretty expensive, but worth doing once for the experience!
Yeah, a green car ride can be expensive, but if you've got money to spend, it's not such a bad thing. They're extremely popular during the rush hour, and it's often difficult to even find a seat in the green cars unless you are getting on from the stations further out. In these cases, you are entitled for a refund if you have a paper ticket. Suica makes it a bit less confusing, as you won't be assessed the green car surcharge unless you actually find a seat and tap your card to the overhead reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstrknb View Post
Can someone please explain this switch. I cannot figure out what type of vehicle would use this and if this operates or not.
I'm not exactly sure on the terminology in English, but in Japanese, it's called a 横取り装置... You typically see these for short sidings used to store maintenance vehicles like grinders, etc. As these types of switches won't be used very often (only when the maintenance vehicle needs to go somewhere), there's no need to install an expensive moving switch, and you can avoid any comfort / speed / noise issues for regular trains.

If you look closely, you can see the three plates (two at the nose, plus another one near the bottom). These are held down by locks, but when released will spring up and rotate over like a hinge on top of the mainline tracks. The maintenance vehicle can then proceed atop the plates to get onto the mainline.

This is a good illustration... You can click the two pictures to see what it looks like when the plates are folded over onto the track.
http://oomatipalk2.blog91.fc2.com/blog-entry-166.html
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #3250
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

Wow, that is impressive. I can see it very clearly now so thanks for enlightening me! I have not seen that anywhere in the USA.

I love traveling to Japan! I think it is one of my favorite countries, other than the fact it is so expensive for Americans. I recently went to a small sushi restaurant in Narita thinking it would be less expensive than sushi in the States, and (with just one beer) my meal came to around $40!!! It was all 'a la carte', and I didn't think I ordered that much. I could've kicked myself, but it was delicious!
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 03:28 AM   #3251
quashlo

Heading for Enoshima Station…
The unit in Randen colors bears a headmark advertising the “sister system” relationship between the two lines.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old January 26th, 2012, 03:28 AM   #3252
quashlo

Carbarn near Gokuraku-ji Station
This unit bears a wrap ad for local art event along the Enoden line.

image hosted on flickr

Grade crossing

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old January 26th, 2012, 03:30 AM   #3253
quashlo

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old January 26th, 2012, 03:30 AM   #3254
quashlo

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

This is the view outside the window

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old January 26th, 2012, 03:31 AM   #3255
quashlo

image hosted on flickr

Mitsubishi electricals

image hosted on flickr

Single-track mixed-flow section makes for some really interesting operations…

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old January 26th, 2012, 03:31 AM   #3256
quashlo

Enoshima Station

image hosted on flickr

More old-school signage

image hosted on flickr

There’s also some newer signage…

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old January 26th, 2012, 03:32 AM   #3257
quashlo

There are three stations at Enoshima, one each for the Shōnan Monorail (Shōnan Enoshima Station), the Enoden (Enoshima Station), and the Odakyū Enoshima Line (Katase Enoshima Station). None of them are directly co-located, but the monorail station is a very short walk away from the Enoden Station, albeit quite high up.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Next some snaps at the mixed-flow segment…

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old January 26th, 2012, 03:33 AM   #3258
quashlo

It’s the unit in Randen colors again…

image hosted on flickr

Although I have no data, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s been a few accidents here in the past… The tracks follow a sharp “s” curve and the intersection has got an unusual, distorted layout which is a bit confusing at first.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Since a large share of the fleet is older trains, you can still see a lot of double-arm pantographs… Of course, any new ones are the standard single-arm versions.

image hosted on flickr

Old January 26th, 2012, 03:33 AM   #3259
quashlo

Maybe a bit reminiscent of some of the scenes on the Keihan Keishin Line near Kyōto…

image hosted on flickr

Some stacked parking for a condo tower

image hosted on flickr

And the bike version…

image hosted on flickr

Old January 26th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #3260
quashlo

Some peeks into Katase Enoshima Station:

image hosted on flickr

Three tracks, two island platforms… A pretty standard terminal layout. The station is supposed to get pretty crowded during the sea-bathing season.

image hosted on flickr

There is limited direct service to Shinjuku… Most trains require a transfer at Machida or Sagami Ōno.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr