daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:59 AM   #3301
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Sapporo City unveils design of new low-floor trams
http://www.hokkaido-np.co.jp/news/donai/347543.html

Quote:
On January 31, Sapporo City revealed the design of new low-floor trains to be introduced onto the city’s tram network in spring 2013. The trains feature a simple two-tone color scheme of black and white, which the city says “reflects Sapporo’s pioneering character and the transparency of the city’s climate and natural features.”

The low-floor trains will have a floor height of 35 cm—less than half that of the existing trains—and are designed to be easy to board and alight for the elderly and physically disabled. The design was decided after consideration by designers, university professors, and other experts, and was based on ideas submitted by citizens. The trains feature large windows to allow passengers to enjoy the urban scenery.

The trains will be three-section articulated cars that look like three-cars coupled together, stretching approx. 17 m long—as much as three to four meters longer than the current trains. Each train will cost approx. ¥260 million to manufacture. The city plans to rollout one train in FY2013 and two trains in FY2014. Of the 30 trains currently in operation, the city will replace the oldest trains, manufactured in 1958, with these new units.

Wonder who will manufacture this, Alna Sharyō or Niigata Transys…

HD scenes of Sapporo’s last remaining tram line.
This is a promo for a railfan DVD, so the production quality is pretty good.

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:41 PM   #3302
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Anyone here from Nagoya (or at least in the Aichi area)?

I have a question (for anyone who is from there):
Don't you guys have subway/train line where a special sound melody comes out whenever the train doors are closing? And where can I find it?

P.S.
Just a random guess but could it be from Nagoya Municipal Subway (i.e. the Sakura-dori train line)???
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:50 PM   #3303
quashlo

Sakura-dōri Line doesn’t have departure melodies... Departure melodies aren’t unique to stations with platform doors—there’s plenty of stations with departure melodies, but most of them don’t have platform doors.

Examples from Nagoya area…

Kintetsu Nagoya Station:
midi file: http://hassya.net/shanai/kintetsu/nagoya_h.mid

Meitetsu Gifu Station:

Old February 3rd, 2012, 06:46 AM   #3304
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
I miss JR West. True, JR East has a more extensive "urban network" in order to serve the Keihinsaiyo Metropolis, but JR West has more interesting scenery and train runs--from a railfan perspective. Then again, I've only been in Kanto for 11 months now and haven't really had a chance to do some serious train rides in the network yet...
Yes, indeed. I often find myself, during a jaunt "down south", after meeting friends in Tokyo and doing any shopping, on a shinkansen for Kansai, to do the really serious railfanning. I think the more interesting operations of JR West arise partly out of the charged competition with private railways that exists there, with competing lines paralleling each other or serving the same markets. It seems the situation is more of a co-existence and even cooperation in services in Kanto (one exception is the Keikyu-JR Tokaido Line corridor)- perhaps this has origins in the private railways mainly adopting 1067mm gauge to facilitate freight interchange with JNR lines, while the private railways in Kansai mainly started out as street railways using standard gauge (1435mm) track.

I do find the interlining operations of Tokyo Metro with JR East and private railway operators interesting though, and Tobu's operations on its Isezaki Line 4 track steel highway past Kita Senju is positively Kansaiesque.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:53 AM   #3305
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven
Anyone here from Nagoya (or at least in the Aichi area)?

I have a question (for anyone who is from there):
Don't you guys have subway/train line where a special sound melody comes out whenever the train doors are closing? And where can I find it?

P.S.
Just a random guess but could it be from Nagoya Municipal Subway (i.e. the Sakura-dori train line)???
I lived in Kakuozan (Chikusa Ward) for 3 years up until last year. Nagoya subways don't have departure melodies; they have arrival melodies!

The melody you hear depends on the direction of travel. The last sound you hear is the platform chime followed by 3 short chirps from the train itself before the conductor closes the doors.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #3306
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

When we are on the subject of jingles. Does anyone know any info and where I can find a good sample of this one(start at 6:17):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=FL...oO3hqQI#t=373s

I've gathered a good portion of jingles from JR east and I have them in MP3 @ 128kbps. Send me a PM with your email and a send it to you as a RAR
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 02:56 AM   #3307
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northridge View Post
When we are on the subject of jingles. Does anyone know any info and where I can find a good sample of this one(start at 6:17):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=FL...oO3hqQI#t=373s

I've gathered a good portion of jingles from JR east and I have them in MP3 @ 128kbps. Send me a PM with your email and a send it to you as a RAR
I don't have any links but that is the Ebisu station jingle which is also the Jingle for Ebisu beer brand made by Sapporo brewery which HQ is located there.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:03 AM   #3308
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5754

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
That map shows the extension going to another campus of Toyama Univ by Hokuriku Expressway.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #3309
AG

Likes (Received): 545

Does anyone have any info in relation to timetable revisions to JR in March?
AG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #3310
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG View Post
Does anyone have any info in relation to timetable revisions to JR in March?
This really deals more with the whole railway network rather than merely urban stuff, but here:

http://news.mynavi.jp/articles/2011/12/17/JR/index.html

Tohoku Shinkansen: 13 roundtrips of Hayate, Yamabiko, and Nasuno will use the E5 type.

E657 introduced on the Joban Line.

300 and 100 series retired on Tokaido and Sanyo Shinkansen. All Nozomi services will be N700 type.

287 series introduced on ltd. express services from Kansai to Nanki region. All trains will be consolidated under "Kuroshio" name.

Regular scheduled overnight trains Nihonkai and Kitaguni axed, will run only as seasonal trains.

More stuff, but I'm too tired to translate, maybe someone else.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 04:20 AM   #3311
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
That map shows the extension going to another campus of Toyama Univ by Hokuriku Expressway.
That's the full extension... If you reread the article, there's a mention of a possible future extension all the way to the university's Sugitani Campus.

The 900 m extension that is the focus of the rest of the article is covered by the first two stations in the map.
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #3312
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
what you and starrwulfe said
Haha it looks like I found it.

@starrwulfe

Never mind, I found it: It really is the Sakura-dori train line (Nagoya Subway Line 6)..........or at least the new extension.

I was referring to this:

The sound when the doors open is fun..........BUT it's the sound when the doors closing that is really hilarious.

It's like basketball game or those sounds that they play during american baseball games.

Ta-ta-ta-ra-ta-ra-ta-ra
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #3313
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Haha it looks like I found it.

@starrwulfe

Never mind, I found it: It really is the Sakura-dori train line (Nagoya Subway Line 6)..........or at least the new extension.

I was referring to this:

The sound when the doors open is fun..........BUT it's the sound when the doors closing that is really hilarious.

It's like basketball game or those sounds that they play during american baseball games.

Ta-ta-ta-ra-ta-ra-ta-ra

Speaking of the Nagoya subway, I forgot to take some photos from when some of the Meijo line trains were all decked out in special vinyls and interior adverts for the Chunichi Dragons after they became baseball kings or something. It was quite a nice departure from the ordinary!
Old February 6th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #3314
iamawesomezero
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

impressive!
iamawesomezero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #3315
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post

Ta-ta-ta-ra-ta-ra-ta-ra
Those are pretty standard sounds for platform doors. Some other lines use similar sounds:

Tsukuba Express:

Old February 6th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #3316
quashlo

Found this awesome promo video from Tōkyō Metro for the new Ginza Line 1000 series. Explains the history of the Ginza Line and the original 1000 series, and includes some scenes of the wrapping job and waterproof testing at the Nippon Sharyō plant in Toyokawa; the delivery by rail (from Toyakawa to Kawasaki) and road (from Kawasaki to Nakano Yard), and placement on bogies; and a tour of the train interior at the press open house event on 2011.10.05.

Old February 7th, 2012, 03:27 AM   #3317
quashlo

Next, a tour of JR Kyōto Station. Not as fancy as the newer JR Ōsaka Station, but still quite nice.

Platform 0
This is for Hokuriku Line and Tōkaidō Line limited expresses such as the Thunderbird, Hida, Shinano, Nihon-kai, and Kitaguni.

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by quashlo, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Platform 2 @ 7:00 am, a bit too early for the bulk of the rush.
This is actually the reverse commute direction (Biwako Line for Kusatsu and Maibara and Kosei Line for Katata and Ōmi Imazu).

image hosted on flickr

Old February 7th, 2012, 03:34 AM   #3318
quashlo

Kyōto is a bus-heavy transit system, although it does have a decent, if somewhat disjointed, rail network. One plan being bandied about calls for reinstating trams on the city’s major bus corridors.

image hosted on flickr

The station building has some very distinctive architecture.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Similar to Ōsaka Station, this is a large complex with a mix of uses (JR West-operated hotel, an Isetan-branded department store, museum / cultural space), plus some large open spaces and catwalks.

image hosted on flickr

Old February 7th, 2012, 03:36 AM   #3319
quashlo

Rooftop open spaces

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Platforms 8-10
These are for the JR Nara Line to Nara.

image hosted on flickr

Old February 7th, 2012, 03:36 AM   #3320
quashlo

Nara Line train arrives on Platform 9.

image hosted on flickr

These people will likely be transferring to the other JR lines, to the subway, or to buses.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr