daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 19th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #3521
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

I'll respectfully have to disagree on the Seibu 30000 series...

It's got the clean lines of a Hitachi train with a nice paint scheme. While the "face" is definitely unorthodox, I can appreciate that at least some thought went into the design. I can't wait until they push out those nasty 6000 series units so that Seibu can put some decent looking trains on the Fukutoshin Line and Yūrakuchō Line.

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2012, 01:23 AM   #3522
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

There is a rason that cars often resemble faces as well.

They are perceived as more friendly and inviting. We put human faces on more things than you can imagine.
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #3523
quashlo

Just a small thing, but the latest "Ad Train" design is a single Yamanote Line consist decked out in AKB ads. I thought this was a bit interesting, as they got one of the lead members (高橋みなみ) to re-record all the Japanese digital announcements just for this train. Not a fan of the group, but she does a pretty good job... Wouldn't mind if they used her voice on all the trains.

This may well be the first such change, as most Ad Train designs only involve switching out all the paper advertisements on the interior (overhead racks, doors, door pockets, ceiling aisles, and standee straps) and putting some wrap ads on the outside.

Article:
http://www.japantoday.com/category/e...es-akb48-train

Thanks to Shashinka at JNS Forum for the heads up.
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:11 AM   #3524
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
I'll respectfully have to disagree on the Seibu 30000 series...

It's got the clean lines of a Hitachi train with a nice paint scheme. While the "face" is definitely unorthodox, I can appreciate that at least some thought went into the design. I can't wait until they push out those nasty 6000 series units so that Seibu can put some decent looking trains on the Fukutoshin Line and Yūrakuchō Line.
That circular sign board actually makes it better looking...

I don't mind the A-train design, it's the front ends I can't stand. I like the Tobu 50000 series and its various marks (more versatile too, it can run underground in the case of the 50050 series and later):
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 01:57 PM   #3525
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6995

looking those videos i wonder why is you being constantly asked to switch off phones in trains. what is practical reason for this?
Old March 21st, 2012, 04:35 PM   #3526
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
looking those videos i wonder why is you being constantly asked to switch off phones in trains. what is practical reason for this?
It is considered rude to have a phone conversation on the train (amen to that!)- on long distance trains, passengers are expected to move to the vestibule if they need to receive or make a call. Typically announcements ask passengers to switch their cellphones to "manner mode"- texting is ok.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:00 PM   #3527
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6995

that's at least strange. speaking naturally isn't rude, but speaking on phone is? here mobile and railway operators pushes mobile penetration as far as possible to make availability to speak on phones in every place, at every point, including deep tunnels.
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:43 PM   #3528
quashlo

Avoiding phone conversations is considered passenger etiquette... It doesn't need to have a "practical" reason per se, because it's mostly a cultural thing, likely stemming from the tendency to avoid imposing on outsiders or strangers... You are expected to treat guests and coworkers the best, then comes friends, last is family. You also internalize your personal / familial issues and avoid disruption to the rest of society.

It may seem a little like a double standard, but talking face-to-face is a bit different, as all parties in the conversation are inside the train... Speaking is only the natural form of communication in this type of situation. Talking on a mobile phone is a bit different, though, as there are alternative forms of communication like texting that are less disruptive to other passengers. You also have the option of not answering and just calling people back once you get off the train. That being said, even face-to-face, it's generally best to talk quietly. You will rarely see people talking loudly on the train, and in many situations, families or other groups of passengers will still avoid conversation inside the train.

As for mobile penetration in subways, it's value isn't dependent solely on the ability to speak on the phone, as you can still text, surf the Web, etc. They are currently expanding coverage to all parts of the major subway networks in Tōkyō, Ōsaka, and Nagoya for these very reasons.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:19 AM   #3529
quashlo

Continuing with some shots of Kintetsu trains from the Heijō Palace grounds…
This is the site of historical ruins, but is a bit unique in that the Kintetsu Nara Line cuts straight through the site.

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by quashlo, on Flickr

Another through-servicing Hanshin 1000 series train.
Hanshin’s commuter EMUs are 3 doors / 19 m, while Kintetsu’s are 4 doors / 20 m.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

This one’s a rapid express for Hanshin Sannomiya in Kōbe. These come approximately every 20 minutes during the midday, supplemented by locals for Amagasaki and expresses for Ōsaka Namba.

image hosted on flickr

Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:20 AM   #3530
quashlo

Express for Kintetsu Nara, a Kyōto Municipal Subway Karasuma Line train. A stark contrast to Kintetsu’s sets, which are all full body paint.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Another express for Kintetsu Nara, a 3200 series unit.
Kintetsu has probably the most diverse fleet for a major private railway, partially due to the variety of services and having two different mainline gauges (Ōsaka / Nagoya and Kyōto / Nara Lines are standard gauge, while the Minami-Ōsaka Lines are narrow gauge).

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:21 AM   #3531
quashlo

There are a couple grade crossings inside the site… This is the major one, on the central axis of the palace grounds. With all the visitors to the site, this particular crossing is staffed—these crossings were somewhat of an issue when Nara celebrated the 1200th Anniversary of Heijō-kyō capital a couple years ago. There was a proposal floating around to underground the line through the site, which presents its own problems due to the archeological significance of the palace grounds.

image hosted on flickr

Express for Ōsaka Namba

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

With the diversity of Kintetsu’s fleet and the frequent coupling / decoupling, it’s very common to see mixed sets. This express was a six-car formation comprised of a two-car 1230 series unit and a 4-car 8600 series unit.

image hosted on flickr

Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:21 AM   #3532
quashlo

I suppose Kintetsu is better known for the red-and-white livery, but I’m more fond of this paint scheme found on the more modern “Series 21” sets, which are intended to serve as Kintetsu’s next generation commuter EMU design. This is a six-car 5820 series unit, a rapid express from Sannomiya bound for Nara.

image hosted on flickr

The Kyōto Municipal Subway train, heading back to Kokusai Kaikan in Kyōto.

image hosted on flickr

This turned out to be a pretty good spot to view trains, with a lot of activity.

image hosted on flickr

Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:23 AM   #3533
quashlo

This is a 9820 series set, featuring a wrap ad to promote tourism to Nara, the oft-forgotten “little brother” of Kyōto.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:23 AM   #3534
quashlo

The standard color for Kintetsu limited expresses is bright orange.
These are some interesting runs, as they’re all short-distance services to Kyōto. I’m a bit curious what the seat utilization is on these services, as I suspect most people choose the regular services. The limited express surcharge is ¥500, which almost doubles the regular fare between Kyōto and Nara.

image hosted on flickr

The 22600 Series Ace, the newest limited express series for Kintetsu’s standard gauge lines. These entered service in 2009, and can be found all over Kintetsu’s standard gauge network, including the long-distance intercity services between Ōsaka and Nagoya that compete directly with the Shinkansen.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:24 AM   #3535
quashlo

Kintetsu yard
Yamato Saidaiji is at the junction of three Kintetsu lines

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:25 AM   #3536
quashlo

Yamato Saidaiji is a mess of catenary, and I love it.
This is a 30000 series Vista EX limited express bound for Kashihara Jingū-mae.

image hosted on flickr

These are interesting units—four-car formations with the two center cars designed as bilevels. Unlike most of the other bilevel designs in Japan, these have a single center door.

image hosted on flickr

There are limited expresses every 20 minutes on the Kintetsu Kyōto Line—one for Kashihara Jingū-mae, one for Kintetsu Nara, and then a third that is a coupled formation that splits into two units at Yamato Saidaiji, one for Kashihara Jingū-mae, one for Nara. We can see the Nara-bound unit here, left behind at the station as the Kashihara Jingū-mae unit departs first.

image hosted on flickr

Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:26 AM   #3537
quashlo

The wrap ad set returns…

image hosted on flickr

If I remember correctly, the ads were intended to promote the 1200th Anniversary of Heijō-kyō capital, but I guess they decided to keep the wrapping on.

image hosted on flickr

The Kintetsu empire, the largest private railway network in Japan.
This fare chart stretches west from Kōbe (at left), through Ōsaka, north to Kyōto, south to Ise, and east to Nagoya. Through-servicing operators are also shown, including Hanshin in orange, the Ōsaka Municipal Subway (Chūō Line only) in green, and the Kyōto Municipal Subway in purple.

image hosted on flickr

Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:34 AM   #3538
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

I had no idea Karasuma Line trains have through-service all the way to Nara. Unless that train is simply on loan to Kintetsu.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:37 PM   #3539
quashlo

It's not as frequent as other subway through-services... During the midday, there's only three through-services an hour onto the Kintetsu Kyōto Line—two to Shin-Tanabe and one to Kintetsu Nara. The setup at Takeda is like most subway through-service arrangements, though, and you can still transfer cross-platform if your train isn't a through-service.
Old March 24th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #3540
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 468

New 5050 series train for Tōkyū's Tōyoko line in service

This is the tell-tale sign that you're riding a new 4000 series train on the Tokyu Toyoko line; the 17" widescreen info display and "TO-Q Vision" ad display next to it, above the doors. However this train is actually numbered 5171F, part of the 5050 series of 8-car trains introduced since 2008. The 4000 series on the line now are missing their #6 & 7 cars while the platforms at all the express stops are being enlongated to accomodate them. Once the construction is complete, then they will run full 10-car trains on the line. But there's still a need for 8-car trains to make local stops, and I'm not sure if the 9000 series trains will be able to run on the Fukutoshin line. This train was made in late 2011 according to its nameplates (and the motorman who was kind enough to answer my questions.)

Shibuya Station Construction Update

Speaking of which, the temporary white walls that scream "works in progress" are all over the platforms now. As you know, the station's middle two tracks were covered up for the past 3 years while the outer two tracks (Tracks 3 & 4) were operated as terminals. Once thru-service begins, middle tracks will be serving trains as well, since there's a need to switch crews at this station (inbound trains will need a Tokyo Metro motorman; outbound trains need a Tokyu motorman and conductor)

Here, they're working on the platforms... Perhaps they're going to install platform screen doors here after all. I assumed they wouldn't, since sometimes Hibiya line trains doing their thru-servicing can wind up getting stuck on the Toyoko line if there's an accident between Naka-Meguro and perhaps Roppongi. They end up running them as locals to Shibuya station, and one can take the Ginza or Hanzomon line from there. But Hibiya subway cars are 18m with 3 or 5 doors. The platform doors will only allow 20m, 4 door cars... I guess since they've added another storage track at Naka-Meguro, they won't do that anymore though.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote