daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2012, 02:57 AM   #3561
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Hiroshima!!! Nice pics. Thanks for sharing!

Did you make it to Yokogawa station? That's my old stomping ground I lived about 1km due south of there from 2003-2004. Also did you get to check out the Astram? It's interesting, none of the other Shin-Kotsu systems I have seen in Japan have drivers.

Hiroshima has some REALLY old streetcars. I think they have one or two still in regular service that are hibaku - they survived the atomic bomb.

Interesting about the yellow "one color" thing. I guess they gotta keep those trains painted, or else they'll turn into old rust buckets! Maybe once these ones finally give up the ghost, Hiroshima will get some old 1980s era hand-me-down trains from Kansai instead of the 1960s era hand-me-downs in use today.

Last, regarding the bike sharing - that's awesome! Something about Hiroshima is that the central city is extremely flat. The suburbs are very mountainous and somewhat tiring to navigate by bike, but you can get from pretty much anywhere in the Otagawa delta to anywhere else without hardly breaking a sweat.;

Yes, JR service is still pretty decent on the Sanyo main line and the Kabe line, as I recall trains ran at least every 15 minutes all day long.

Last edited by orulz; March 29th, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #3562
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

I spent a good while in Hiroshima very recently, interesting to see you went pretty much exactly where I went to!
Did you go to Iwakuni? And the track quality between Miyajima and, well, the city centre is horrific! It felt like I was on a bouncy castle!

EDIT: Sorry, yes, Hiroden

Last edited by Sopomon; March 30th, 2012 at 05:19 PM.
Sopomon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #3563
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Well, I only spent a day and a half there, so I only had time to visit the most popular landmarks... I didn't go to Iwakuni.

As for the track quality, are you talking about JR or Hiroden? I didn't notice on either leg of my trip to Miyajima, since my ride out there on Hiroden was very early in the morning (fell asleep) and I was pretty exhausted on the ride back on JR also (fell asleep again). I wouldn't be surprised either way, though... Transit in Japan is generally expected to be self-sustaining, and while both Hiroden and JR's Hiroshima services make profits, it's nowhere near enough to cover the cost of a major track replacement project. There's a reason both of these operations use very old secondhand cars from the larger metro areas... Of course, as a railfan, that’s what makes Hiroshima so interesting.

This reminds me of a section of Hiroden track near Eba Carhouse that’s laid in cobbles, quite old and in bad shape. The car at the end of this video looks like it’s about to fly off the rails as it passes the crossover. The secondhand cars from Kyōto and Ōsaka (as well as the Nishitetsu cars) are still in their original liveries, and were never repainted in Hiroden colors.

I visited here, but only at night… I didn’t get very many good shots.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #3564
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Did you make it to Yokogawa station? That's my old stomping ground I lived about 1km due south of there from 2003-2004. Also did you get to check out the Astram? It's interesting, none of the other Shin-Kotsu systems I have seen in Japan have drivers.
I really wanted to, but I just didn’t have enough time. I wanted to take a look at one of the nicer Hiroden terminals, and it was either Yokogawa or Nishi-Hiroshima… I ended up picking the latter. I was tempted to try out the Astram Line as well, but I just ran out of time. Definitely want to go back to Hiroshima to see what else I missed, though.

Quote:
Interesting about the yellow "one color" thing. I guess they gotta keep those trains painted, or else they'll turn into old rust buckets! Maybe once these ones finally give up the ghost, Hiroshima will get some old 1980s era hand-me-down trains from Kansai instead of the 1960s era hand-me-downs in use today.
Yeah, it’s probably a cost-saving measure... Cheaper to buy a single color in bulk than to keep a full library in stock.

Last edited by quashlo; March 30th, 2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old March 30th, 2012, 01:08 AM   #3565
quashlo

Next, some shots from the pedestrian bridge over Aioi-dōri between Ebisuchō and Kanayamachō… The track here is part of the Hiroden Main Line, and connects Hiroshima Station with the CBD (Kamiyachō / Hatchōbori area).

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by quashlo, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

There are three lines on this section of track, providing a combined frequency of 24 tph between Hiroshima and Kamiyachō:
Line 1 (Hiroshima Station – Hiroshima Port)
Line 2 (Hiroshima Station – Miyajima-guchi)
Line 6 (Hiroshima Station – Eba)

Combined with the stream of buses and the solid midrise streetwall of the CBD, this spot offers some of the best “urban” shots you can find in Hiroshima.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old March 30th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #3566
quashlo

There’s a variety of bus operators in Hiroshima, including Hiroshima Bus (red and white), Hiroden Bus (olive green and cream, part of the Hiroden Group), and Hiroshima Kōtsū (orange and beige), in addition to a variety of smaller operators and intercity / highway express buses like the JR bus on the left side of the road.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The 5100 series is easily my favorite LRV design in Japan… It won a Good Design Award in 2005.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old March 30th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #3567
quashlo

image hosted on flickr

Old and new articulated units (3700 series and 5100 series) meet at Kanayamachō. Unfortunately, I was unable to get any decent shots of the 3000 series units made from grafted secondhand Nishitetsu cars that originally ran in Fukuoka.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old March 30th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #3568
quashlo

There’s something to be said for the “mess” of overhead lines…
While there have been talks of replacing parts of the tram network with fully grade-separated lines like the Astram Line, I would be sorry to see this go.

image hosted on flickr

Passing 3700 series units

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old March 30th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #3569
quashlo

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old March 30th, 2012, 01:12 AM   #3570
quashlo

Next, a ride on Line 6 to Eba…
Here, I’m waiting at Ebisuchō Station as a Line 1 train passes.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old March 30th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #3571
quashlo

The articulated units are two-man operations… On the newer five-section units, the conductors have a dedicated area in the middle of the train, making announcements to passengers and controlling the doors.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old March 31st, 2012, 01:34 AM   #3572
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

I read somewhere last year that Hiroden was going to move to a proof of payment system that would allow people to get on and off the trams from any door. I guess that hasn't been implemented yet?

Nearly all of the Hiroden network is in dedicated lanes. However, I don't think there's any kind of modern signal priority system in place. As a result (as you doubtless noticed) the trains can move very, very slowly through town. Also you noted, Quashlo, the track is in poor shape in many locations. All-in-all, it's due for a modernization.

Out of the main terminals for the Hiroden, (Nishi-Hiroshima, Miyajima-guchi, Yokogawa, Hiroshima Port and Hiroshima station) the one at Hiroshima Station stands out as being kind of crummy. In fact the whole plaza in front of Hiroshima Station is kind of crummy. There's a plan being studied (which I think you posted about some time ago) to rebuild that terminal. There's also been some talk of a new line on Heiwa Odori that would be built as a modern LRT line.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 03:47 AM   #3573
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Loved all those urban shots of Hiroshima.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 06:42 AM   #3574
quashlo

Quote:
I read somewhere last year that Hiroden was going to move to a proof of payment system that would allow people to get on and off the trams from any door. I guess that hasn't been implemented yet?
Do you have a source for this?
All I have is a trial POP system for IC cardholders only:
http://www.hiroden.co.jp/what/new/topic.htm (see the entry for 2012.02.09).

Quote:
Nearly all of the Hiroden network is in dedicated lanes. However, I don't think there's any kind of modern signal priority system in place.
This article in the IATSS Review mentions six sections of the Hiroden network with some form of signal priority. The first was installed in March 1974, apparently the first signal priority system for street-running trains in Japan.
Old April 1st, 2012, 06:43 AM   #3575
quashlo

Kawasaki secures order for 5 slurry shield machines for Singapore MRT Downtown Line
http://www.khi.co.jp/pressrelease/de...0120328_1.html

Quote:
川崎重工は、シンガポール地下鉄のダウンタウンライン第3期建設工事に投入されるシールド掘進機5基を連続受注しました。今回の受注は、928工区 及び932工区向けに佐藤工業(株)のシンガポール現地法人Sato Kogyo (S) Pte. Ltd.から3基、930工区向けにSK Engineering & Construction(韓国)から2基を連続で受注したもので、2013年初頭までに順次納入する予定です。

今回受注した掘進機は、泥土圧シールド掘進機(直径6.63m)で、現在シンガポール陸上交通庁(Land Transport Authority:LTA)が進めている地下鉄ダウンタウンライン第3期建設工事(全長21km)のうち、Bedok North(ベドック・ノース)駅からKaki Bukit(カキ・ブキ)駅(928工区)、Ubi(ウビ)駅からMacPherson(マクファーソン)駅(930工区)、Matter(マター)駅か らGeylang Bahru(ゲイラン・バル)駅(932工区)に至る3つの工区に投入され、あわせて上下線全長約6kmを掘削します。なお、これらのトンネル掘削工事は 2013年末頃に完成の予定です。

今回使用される泥土圧シールド掘進機は、軟弱土層の掘進に用いられるシールド掘進機の技術を基本に、岩盤や礫層などの掘削に用いられる TBM(Tunnel Boring Machine)の技術を取り入れたもので、複雑な土質を1基の掘進機で掘削します。また本機には、当社独自のカッター交換方式を採用し、土質に応じた カッターを装備できるようにしたほか、曲線部の掘削に対応するため中折れ式を採用するなど、工区特性に合わせた仕様としています。

当社は、2009年にシンガポール地下鉄のダウンタウンライン第2期建設工事向け泥水式シールド掘進機を5基受注するなど、今回の受注分を含めて、これまでにシンガポール向けに22基、国内外で約1,400基のシールド掘進機・TBMの受注実績を有しています。

シンガポールではLTAが引き続き地下鉄建設工事を計画するなど、地下工事の増加が予想され、今後もシールド掘進機の発注が見込まれます。また、中 国、タイ、マレーシア、インドネシアでも地下鉄建設を中心とした地下工事が計画されており、アジア市場全体で中長期的に安定した掘進機需要が見込まれてい ます。

当社は今後も国内外を問わずシールド掘進機・TBMの営業展開を強力に推進していきます。
These are for Downtown Line Stage 3, covering a total of 6 km of track. Three machines are for Contract 928 (Bedok North – Kaki Bukit) and Contract 932 (Mattar – Geylang Bahru) for Satō Kōgyō’s local Singapore subsidiary, with the other two machines for Contract 930 (Ubi – MacPherson) for South Korean firm SK Engineering & Construction.

In 2009, Kawasaki also supplied five shield machines for Stage 2 of the Downtown Line, and with this latest order, it will have supplied a total of 22 machines for Singapore.
Old April 1st, 2012, 06:44 AM   #3576
quashlo

Kawasaki misses out on R-179 contract for New York MTA
http://journalstar.com/business/loca...#ixzz1qYKKNX88

Quote:
Kawasaki's local plant manager says losing out on a major contract to build subway cars for New York City's Metropolitan Transportation Authority will not affect jobs at the plant, at least in the short term.

The MTA announced Wednesday that it had picked Canada's Bombardier to build 300 new subway cars to replace ones that are nearly 50 years old.

Bombardier's bid was just under $600 million, about $57.5 million less than a joint bid from Kawasaki and French company Alstom, according to MTA bid documents.

Had the Kawasaki-Alstom bid been accepted, some of the cars would have been built in Lincoln at Kawasaki's rail car plant, Plant Manager Mike Boyle said in an email.

"These cars would not have been fully assembled in Lincoln, some of the finishing assembly and testing would have been done at Kawasaki's Yonkers, N.Y., facility," he said. "The remaining cars would have been built by Alstom in their Hornell, N.Y., plant."

Bombardier will make all the cars at its facility in Plattsburg, N.Y., and New York state officials touted that fact at Wednesday's announcement.

"We are one state and this shows how different regions of our state can support each other," New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said. "We will continue to rebuild New York's vital infrastructure, creating jobs for hard-working New Yorkers and generating economic growth in all corners of the state."

New York officials have lobbied actively to get more work for the rail car facilities in the state.

In 2010, when Kawasaki won an $886 million contract to build 428 new rail cars for the Washington Metropolitan Transit Authority, beating out both Alstom and Bombardier, New York Sen. Charles Schumer wrote a letter to the president of Kawasaki Rail Car Inc., imploring him to have some of the work done in New York.

The Lincoln plant will start production on those cars this year.

The plant currently is working on cars for the Metro-North Railroad that serves New York and Connecticut, which is part of MTA.

Boyle said there is plenty of work right now but that the failure to secure the latest MTA contract "will create a future, temporary vacuum in a portion of our Lincoln rail car manufacturing operations."

Boyle said the company actively is bidding on other rail car projects and has plenty of time to adjust its production plans if necessary.

"I want to stress that not winning this contract will not affect employment at our Lincoln plant," he said.
On a more positive note, however, it appears that Chicago Metra is pleased so far with Nippon Sharyō’s work on a 160-car order:
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/03/...-district-line

Quote:
The first half of the new cars will be fabricated in Japan but finished in a new plant 80 miles west of Chicago, in Rochelle, Ill. The second half of the order will be built from scratch in Rochelle — but only after Nippon-Sharyo is happy with what it sees.

“The first car that they build from scratch in the Rochelle plant they’re actually going to send back to Japan to make sure everything was done 100 percent the way they intended it to be,” Hardwidge said.

Extra steps such as that are what makes Hardwidge “very, very impressed” with Nippon-Sharyo.

Hardwidge said supervisors have already been hired for the Nippon-Sharyo Rochelle plant, and are receiving training in Japan so that identical construction methods are followed during assembly here.

He said the commuter rail agency is incorporating similar construction methods in the mid-life rehabilitation of some of its older bilevel cars, produced in the 1990s by now-defunct Amerail.

“That kind of attention to detail and that kind of commitment to quality is just very impressive and frankly, as we’ve looked at that, we’re looking at going forward to seeing about applying some of those standards to additional orders that we do here for equipment, whether it be locomotives,new cars or other processes,” Hardwidge said.
The Bombardier troubles with the L cars and Hyundai Rotem troubles with the SEPTA Silverliner Vs and MBTA commuter cars could perhaps be an unexpected benefit in the long-run for Kawasaki and Nippon Sharyō, both of which are looking to build up a backlog to keep expanded or new plants at Lincoln, NE and Rochelle, IL busy.
Old April 1st, 2012, 06:44 AM   #3577
quashlo

Japan gives Egypt $393 million to fund fourth metro line
http://www.thedailynewsegypt.com/tra...etro-line.html

Quote:
CAIRO: Egypt accepted a $393 million loan from the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) to begin developing the first phase of Cairo’s fourth metro line, officials said Monday.

This first tranche, worth about 32.717 billion Japanese Yen, is part of the initial loan package, worth an estimated $1.2 billion overall, according to Ashraf Mabrouk, Chief Program Officer for JICA in Egypt.

“Further loans will be discussed after we start implementing upcoming phases of the project,” Mabrouk told Daily News Egypt.

Signed by Fayza Aboul Naga, minister of international planning and cooperation, and Norihiro Okuda, Japan’s ambassador in Cairo, the fourth metro line will connect central Cairo to Giza.

“The project will be developed over several phases and we are expecting to begin working on the site within the next year,” Mabrouk added.

The new line, estimated to cost about $8 billion will run from the outskirts of the suburb of Sixth of October City through the site of the new Grand Egyptian Museum (GEM) near the Pyramids of Giza, to El-Malek El-Saleh, a district near central Cairo.

The first phase of the project will run for 18 kilometers. Overall, the new line will comprise 17 stations.

The goal of the underground system will be to connect Cairo city and the main tourist attractions, the Giza Pyramids and the Grand Egyptian Museum, which is still under construction and is also partly funded by Japan.

The GEM is expected to be open to the public by August 2015.

Aside from the project’s contracts, which were signed by representatives of Japan and Egypt, Mabrouk said that Sadako Ogata, president of JICA, and Egypt’s minister of transportation separately signed the loan agreement.

The line will be developed through collaboration between Egyptian and Japanese contractors and engineers.

“This is one of the conditions set by the officials signing the agreement, that the project includes cooperation between both countries, not just financial partnership,” said Mabrouk.

Just last month, Egypt opened its third metro line, connecting five stations between Attaba, south of downtown Cairo, and Abbaseya, two of the busiest areas in the capital.

The line is worth about LE 4.2 billion, about $700 million, according to Al-Ahram, the state newspaper.

According to Alaa Ezz, secretary general of Egypt’s Federation of Industries, the fourth line is part of a series of stimulus packages meant to get the Egyptian economy moving.

“There are a number of major infrastructures underway such as the metro line, power plants and water stations, which are supported by several development banks and donors,” said Ezz.

“It is the only way to get out of this economic crisis we are seeing, a big set of loans used for similar projects will help boost our foreign reserves,” he added.

By developing these infrastructure projects, the ministry hopes to directly and indirectly stimulate the economy and support the local currency.

“A big part of the foreign currency used will go towards buying local products and content for these projects, that is how you maintain your foreign reserves indirectly because it is cheaper to provide local products than to ship from abroad,” said Ezz.
Perhaps this will mean another order of cars for Kinki Sharyō?
Old April 1st, 2012, 08:43 PM   #3578
quashlo

Eba Carhouse
Really would have liked to visit here during the day, but oh well…

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old April 1st, 2012, 08:43 PM   #3579
quashlo

Hiroden office

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old April 1st, 2012, 08:44 PM   #3580
quashlo

Looking into the carhouse, we can see a one of the secondhand Nishitetsu units at far left. To the right of that is a former Dortmund articulated tram that was manufactured in 1959 and brought over in 1982. Hiroden originally had two, but one was scrapped in 2006, leaving only this one (Car 76), which still sports a silver, red, and white livery advertising König Pilsener. Currently, it’s only used on charters… Would love to see it in regular service, although I imagine the narrow width could be less than ideal in terms of capacity.

image hosted on flickr

If you can’t tell from the livery, the emblem at bottom also identifies this as an ex-Kyōto Municipal Tram. The same logo is used on the Kyōto Municipal Subway and municipally-operated buses in Kyōto.

image hosted on flickr

Next, a ride on a Green Mover Max 5100 series…
Starting at Hiroshima Station:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr