daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 1st, 2012, 08:47 PM   #3581
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Moquettes have a leaf theme

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by quashlo, on Flickr

Interior is designed for high capacity, with mostly longitudinal seating, with transverse seating at the ends.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2012, 08:47 PM   #3582
quashlo

image hosted on flickr

Signs are LED… Maybe next series they’ll switch to LEDs.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old April 1st, 2012, 08:48 PM   #3583
quashlo

The builders’ plate bears the names of Kinki Sharyō, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, and Tōyō Electric. The development of the 5100 series was affectionately known as the “U3 Project”, standing for “ultimate”, “urban”, and “user-friendly”. Most of the Hiroden network is a flat fare of ¥150 for adults and ¥80 for children (the Hakushima Line is discounted to ¥100 for adults and ¥50 for children). However, the electronic fare chart is used for the Miyajima Line, which charges distance-based fares due to its length.

image hosted on flickr

Advertisement looking for part-time conductors. Pay is ¥1,100 an hour, and you are required to work five days a week for and average of 7h20m each day between 5:00 and 24:00.

image hosted on flickr

In addition to making announcements and controlling the doors, the other main duty of the conductor is as a coin changer. Every 5-10 minutes, the conductor does one walkthrough of the train to change coins or answer any ticketing questions.

image hosted on flickr

The conductor’s “booth”

image hosted on flickr

Old April 1st, 2012, 08:48 PM   #3584
quashlo

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old April 1st, 2012, 08:49 PM   #3585
quashlo

Kamiyachō Higashi (Kamiyachō East)
Besides being connected at street level, platforms at both Kamiyachō stations also have connections to an underground concourse tied into the Astram Line. Kamiyachō is approximately halfway between Kenchō-mae and Hon-dōri Stations on the Astram Line, which are only a few hundred meters apart.

image hosted on flickr

Back at Hiroshima Station

image hosted on flickr

A couple pics the next day on my way to Kyūshū… This is Hiroshima Staton, inside the platform bridge as I make my way to the Shinkansen platforms on the north side. A Kabe Line train for Midorii waits at Platform 2.

image hosted on flickr

Looking west towards Yokogawa, Miyajima, and Iwakuni

image hosted on flickr

Old April 1st, 2012, 08:51 PM   #3586
quashlo

Keihan Group ad campaign

Besides renovating their website, Keihan has also launched a new ad campaign called こころまち つくろう Kokoro-machi tsukurō (“Let’s make something to look forward to”). They have a gallery of candid Keihan-related pictures that I enjoyed… Here’s a few of them.

Kuzuha Station, 18:00

Kayashima Station

Let’s break for lunch

Trivial checks make for real safety

The men of Neyagawa

With you, to wherever

A small journey

First limited express

Afterschool in the sunlight

The future is yours

The rest are here:
http://www.keihan.co.jp/brand/photogallery/
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:35 AM   #3587
quashlo

Itoshima City petitions JR Kyūshū for new station on Chikuhi Line
http://mainichi.jp/norimai/train/tra...40304000c.html

Quote:
 糸島市や県立糸島高校同窓会などでつくる筑肥線新駅設置促進期成会(会長・松本嶺男市長)が7日、JR九州に筑肥線・筑前前原-波多江間の新駅設置を求め、2万5925人の署名を添え請願書を提出した。

松本市長らがJR九州本社を訪れ、青柳俊彦常務に手渡した。

請願によると、新駅は同市浦志の糸島高東側を想定し「中高層マンション建設や九州大伊都キャンパスの立地で交通需要が高まっている」ことを理由としている。

申し入れの後、松本市長は「JR九州は双方の事務方同士で協議を進めていただきたいとの答えで、前向きと受け止めている」と語った。【竹田定倫】
Google Map:
http://g.co/maps/v22sw

This is a petition for a new station on the Chikuhi Line between Chikuzen Maebaru and Hatae, signed by 25,925 citizens and submitted to JR Kyūshū on 2012.02.07. The proposed location for the new station is in Itoshima City’s Urashi district on the east side of Itoshima High School. The impetus is increased ridership demand as a result of construction of mid-rise residential towers and the nearby Ito Campus of Kyūshū University, a new campus that relocates and consolidates the university’s Hakozaki Campus, Haramachi Farm, and Ropponmatsu Campus.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:35 AM   #3588
quashlo

JR Kyūshū will develop experimental lithium ion battery EMU
http://mainichi.jp/select/biz/news/2...20068000c.html

Quote:
JR九州は21日、ディーゼル列車に代わって非電化区間を走る蓄電池電車を開発すると発表した。蓄電池電車の開発は、JR東日本が直流方式で手がけているが、交流方式はJR九州が初めて。

同社によると、817系近郊型交流電車(2両編成)を改造して、大容量高電圧の蓄電池(リチウムイオン電池)を床下に搭載する。電化区間は架線からの電力で走行し、架線のある駅で停車中に交流電力を変換して蓄電池に充電。ブレーキをかけた時の回生エネルギーも充電し、非電化区間を蓄電池の電力で走行する。

蓄電池を使った最高速度は時速80キロで、1回の充電で約30キロの走行が可能。エネルギー使用量(原油換算)は20%減り、環境負荷と運行コストは半減する見込みという。

12年度に設計、13年度に試験走行して経済性や耐久性などを検証する。福岡都市圏の香椎線、北九州市の筑豊線(若松線)での実用化を目指す。鉄道総合研究所と連携し、開発費は1億5000万円。【綿貫洋】
This makes JR Kyūshū the third JR company after JR East and JR West to look at battery-powered railcars, but JR Kyūshū will be the first to look at DC instead of AC. Approx. 40% of JR Kyūshū’s network is un-electrified.

The trial will involve a redesigned two-car 817 series inner-suburban DC EMU set which will be outfitted with high-capacity, high-voltage lithium ion batteries on its undersides. While stopped at stations with overhead, the train will draw power from the overhead, converting it to DC and recharging the batteries. Like JR East’s version, regenerative braking will allow the train to recharge the battery while braking.

Maximum speed under battery power will be 80 km/h, and the unit will be able to run approx. 30 km without charging. Compared to crude oil, the train will use 20% less energy, and environmental impacts (carbon dioxide emissions) and operating costs are forecasted to be cut in half.

JR Kyūshū, together with the Railway Technical Research Institute (RTRI), will carry out design of the unit in FY2012, beginning trial runs in FY2013 to determine the financial feasibility and durability of the technology, which is being targeted for the Kashii Line in the Fukuoka urban area and the Chikuhō Line (Wakamatsu Line) in the Kita-Kyūshū urban area. R&D costs are expected to be approx. ¥150 million.

817 series in 2+2 formation at Space World Station (2011.07.20):

Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:36 AM   #3589
quashlo

Akashi City permanently shelves new station proposed by JR West
http://www.kobe-np.co.jp/news/shakai/0004879960.shtml

Quote:
 JR西日本が兵庫県明石市に提案していたJR神戸線明石‐西明石間の新駅整備構想について、同市は12日、「新駅よりも優先すべき事業があり、今後の課題に位置付けたい」として、当面の事業化を見送る方針を明らかにした。構想をめぐっては、地元住民から生活環境の悪化を懸念する声が相次いでいたほか、巨額の事業負担もネックになっていた。

新駅構想は2004年12月、JR西が同市に打診した。06年12月に「新駅設置」の覚書を交わした両者は、同市硯町1丁目を候補地とし、1日当たりの乗降客を約1万7千人と見込んで11年度の開業を目指していた。

だが、地元では、市が頭越しに計画を進めたことへの反発に加え、放置自転車の問題などを懸念する声が続出。さらに、総事業費40億円の3分の1とされた市負担金もネックとなり、08年以降、計画は棚上げにされていた。

事態打開に向け、市は10年度に有識者や地元住民による研究会を設置。地元からの要望が強かった大久保‐魚住間も含め、新駅の必要性などを議論した。しかし、いずれも賛否が分かれ、研究会は今年2月末、明石‐西明石間は「今後の課題」、大久保‐魚住間は「将来の課題」とする報告書をまとめた。

同市は「新たな事業については、今後の社会情勢や財政状況を見ながら、選択と集中による事業展開を図る必要がある」などと説明している。(森本尚樹)
Google Map:
http://g.co/maps/4pvyt

JR West originally proposed this new station between Akashi and Nishi-Akashi on the San’yō Line in December 2004, and JR and the city signed a memorandum of understanding. The candidate location was Suzurichō 1-chōme, and daily ridership (entries and exits) was estimated at 17,000. The station was originally scheduled to open in FY2011.

There was some local opposition later on, mostly related to the funding arrangement, which would have required Akashi City to pay one-third of the total cost of the new station. There were also some concerns about the new station bringing a new problem with it (illegally-parked bicycles). As a result, the plan was temporarily shelved in 2008.

In FY2010, the city established a working group of experts and local residents to examine the need for the new station, as well as for another proposed station between Ōkubo and Uozumi, which enjoyed some local support. There was no consensus though, and the city has now announced that there are other “more pressing” concerns than new stations.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:36 AM   #3590
quashlo

Fate of additional rail access to Itami Airport still uncertain
http://www.kobe-np.co.jp/news/shakai/0004895823.shtml

Quote:
The Rail Access proposal to connect Ōsaka (Itami) Airport and the area around JR Itami Station by railway, a plan that has been considered by Hyōgo Prefecture and Itami City, has effectively been shelved for the time being. In the hope of increasing convenient access to the airport from Hyōgo Prefecture and revitalizing the local area, the proposal has been investigated for 20 years, but there is still no prospect that the line would be profitable. Operating in the red has become matter-of-fact for the non-stop airport buses launched as a temporary measure by Itami City seven years ago. While a consolidation of operations with Kansai Airport is set to take place at Itami Airport in July, the rail proposal stands on very thin legs.

In terms of access to Ōsaka Airport, the monorail offers direct service to the airport from the Ōsaka side, but from the Hyōgo Prefecture side, passengers are forced to either take the airport express coaches from Sannomiya or Himeji or take city buses from JR Itami Station and Takarazuka Station.

The proposal has its roots in 1989, when the then-Transport Policy Council suggested the possibility of a monorail connection from the Hyōgo Prefecture side, and a plan surfaced in 1992 to build a branch from the JR Takarazuka Line near JR Itami Station connecting to the airport.

Hyōgo Prefecture and Itami City focused their investigations on three route alternatives, but the proposal ran aground due to the project cost, which would reach at least approx. ¥61 billion. Officials later investigated the possibility of introducing light rail transit (LRT) for the project, but that option failed the profitability analysis. Hyōgo Prefecture hasn’t included any expenditures related to the project in its budget since FY2008.

Meanwhile, Itami City launched non-stop municipal bus service to the airport from JR Itami Station in 2004, but the service continues to operate in the red together with the existing all-stop airport bus route. The total cumulative deficit between FY2005 and FY2010 for both routes is approx. ¥356 million.

The consolidation of operations with Kansai Airport is anticipated to increase passenger volume at Ōsaka Airport. According to an estimate by Hyōgo Prefecture and Itami City, however, ridership projections for a profitable rail alignment are approx. 28,000 to 30,000 passengers daily. Total annual ridership on the non-stop buses, however, is less rosy, and only reaches approx. 116,000 passengers (FY2010).

“The Rail Access project is a long-term issue, but as long as the number of airport users doesn’t increase, we’ll have to continue putting off efforts to fully flesh out the project,” says Hyōgo Prefecture’s Transport Policy Division.
Google Map of the original three alignments:
http://g.co/maps/kfw6y
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:37 AM   #3591
quashlo

Work on JR Zeze Station upgrades to begin in FY2012
http://www.kyoto-np.co.jp/shiga/article/20120304000074

Quote:
大津市は、同市馬場2丁目のJR膳所駅周辺整備事業の第1期工事を2012年度から本格的に始める。JR西日本に工事委託し、地上にある駅舎を橋上化し、新たに南北連絡道路を新設する。

総事業費は約66億円で、第1期工事(12~17年度)は約43億5千万円。駅舎を橋上に移転し、南北に分断された市街地を結ぶ連絡道路(長さ85メートル、幅6メートル)を新たに整備。エレベーターやエスカレーターも設置し、利便性の向上をはかる。北側の駅前広場を拡張し、南側は国道1号までの暫定歩道を確保する。

市は11年度一般会計補正予算案に、JR西日本への工事委託契約と駅舎移転補償として計26億8800万円の(11~15年度)の債務負担行為を設定する。
Groundbreaking for upgrades to JR Zeze Station in Ōtsu City will begin in FY2012. The work involves replacement of the ground-level station concourse with a new elevated concourse and platform bridge, and construction of a new north-south connecting road (85 m long, 6 m wide). Construction will be contracted out to JR West. Total project cost is approx. ¥6.6 billion, with Phase 1 (FY2012 to FY2017) costing approx. ¥4.35 billion. The north-side station plaza will be expanded, while on the south side, a temporary pedestrian connection will be secured all the way to National Route 1.

The station upgrades are only one part (although definitely the largest part) of an improvement plan for the entire area around the station:
http://www.city.otsu.shiga.jp/www/co...446/index.html
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:38 AM   #3592
quashlo

ecomyca expands to all Toyama Chihō Railroad lines
http://hokuriku.yomiuri.co.jp/hoksub...1_12030201.htm

Quote:
 県内の公共交通機関が発行するICカードの普及が進んできた。2007年の開業時から導入している富山ライトレール、10年に富山市の市内電車と路線バスに導入した富山地方鉄道の両社の発行枚数は計10万枚超。利便性向上のため、富山地鉄はICカード「ecomyca(えこまいか)」の利用範囲を17日から鉄道全線に拡大する。

12年1月現在、ライトレールの「passca(パスカ)」の累計発行枚数は4万8000枚超で、「えこまいか」は約3万2000枚。両社を割安で利用できる65歳以上の高齢者向けICカード「おでかけ定期券」は今年2月までに約2万3000枚発行された。

共通利用が可能で、1枚で市内の公共交通の大半をカバーできることが好評のようだ。

さらに利便性を向上させるため、富山地鉄は、市内電車と路線バスだけでなく、17日からは鉄道線本線、立山線、不二越・上滝線でも「えこまいか」の利用を可能とする。また、富山地鉄は市内電車と路線バスで運賃の15%割引(13年3月末まで)を実施中だ。鉄道線もICカードを利用した場合は1割引きとなる。

交通系ICカードの利便性の良さから、富山大では13年4月から、IC化した学生証に「えこまいか」機能を持たせる計画を進めている。

一方、大手コンビニチェーン「セブン―イレブン」の県内全71店舗(2月末現在)には、JRのICカードで代金を支払える端末が整備されている。運営する「セブン―イレブン・ジャパン」(東京)は、県内企業が発行する交通系カードへの対応について、「今後、要望があれば検討したい」としている。
On 2012.03.17, Toyama Chihō Railroad expanded ecomyca coverage to its mainline railway network, including the Toyama Chihō Railroad Main Line, Tateyama Line, and Fujikoshi–Kamidaki Line

As of January 2012, total transport IC card circulation in the Toyama area has reached over 100,000 cards, with approx. 48,000 passca cards (issued by Toyama Light Rail) and 32,000 ecomyca cards (issued for the city trams operated by Toyama Chihō Railroad and fixed-route buses). As of this February, total circulation of the special discounted commuter passes for seniors was approx. 23,000 cards. Currently, Toyama Chihō Railroad gives a 15% discount on fares if you use ecomyca on the city trams or fixed-route buses and now gives a 10% discount on fares if you use it on its mainline railway network.

As far as other developments go, Toyama University is moving forward with a plan to issue student IDs with ecomyca functionality starting in April 2013. All 7-11 stores in Toyama Prefecture (71 total as of February) are also rolling out ICOCA readers, so we may eventually see some e-money interoperability between ICOCA and passca / ecomyca, later followed by full (farecard) interoperability.

Cab view on the City Line from Ōte Mall-mae to Toyama Station, inside a Centram unit:

Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:38 AM   #3593
quashlo

Aimi Station on JR Tōkaidō Line opens: Part 1

This is a new station that opened on the JR Tōkaidō Line in the Nagoya area on 2012.03.17. Specific location is Kōta Town, Aichi Prefecture, between Kōda and Okazaki Stations. Apparently, this has been a long-time coming, as locals have been pushing for a new station since 1900.

It’s only a minor station on the line, with only 79 local trains and 7 rapid trains total stopping (according to the weekday schedule), coming out to a base service of at least 2 tph in each direction. Estimated daily boardings and alightings are 2,500 to 3,000, which the city hopes to increase to 5,000 in the long-term. A station plaza (with bus service by Meitetsu Bus and a local community bus operated by Kōta Town) and 500-space garage (one-time fee is ¥300 for 6 hrs or less, monthly fee is ¥4,000) surround the station, and there is a 14-story residential tower and other residential development on the way.

Some pictures:
Source: http://okirakuhobby.blog114.fc2.com/

The new station fills in one of the many large station-to-station distances on the JR Tōkaidō Line in the Nagoya area—it’s 4.3 km from Okazaki and 3.1 km from Kōda.

From Platform 3 (for Toyohashi, Hamamatsu) looking at Platforms 1 / 2 (for Okazaki, Nagoya)

This is an outer suburban station, and has been designed to minimize costs—the station is a “petition” station, so the full cost (¥4,587,450,000) has been borne by Kōta Town.

This is a three-track station and includes an elevated public passage / platform bridge spanning the tracks.
Looking north towards Okazaki

Looking south towards Kōda

Moving towards the West Exit

Kōda Town has a large kite festival every January.

West Exit station building

Land readjustment looks to be mostly complete, but it’s all empty lots at the moment.

Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:39 AM   #3594
quashlo

Aimi Station on JR Tōkaidō Line opens: Part 2

The East Exit of the station, which has the existing residential neighborhood, schools, and retail facilities.

East-side stairwell has a large kite decoration of Ōkubo Hikozaemon, a local hero from the Edo Period.

These are supposed to be public restrooms.

East Exit station building

It’s a standard design, with a public passage that allows for free passage over the tracks.

Station plaza

Still awaiting some landscaping work

What’s going in adjacent to the station:

Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:40 AM   #3595
quashlo

Ensuring profitability of Saitama Railway extension to Iwatsuki likely difficult
http://mainichi.jp/area/saitama/news...10259000c.html

Quote:
 埼玉高速鉄道(SR)を浦和美園駅(さいたま市緑区)から、東武野田線岩槻駅(同市岩槻区)まで7・2キロ延伸する計画について話し合う市の「地下鉄7号線延伸検討委員会」(高松良晴委員長)は12日、現状では採算性を確保するのは困難とする最終報告書を清水勇人市長に提出した。沿線の開発の進展によっては需要が増える可能性があると含みを残した。清水市長は9月末までに延伸について結論を示す方針を示した。【西田真季子】

報告書によると、延伸の費用と効果を比較した指標「B/C」(便益を費用で割る)を0・9と試算した。B/Cが採算ラインの1を下回ると、国の事業認可が下りない可能性が高い。

委員会は採算性の改善策として、浦和美園駅や岩槻駅周辺の開発▽SR線と延伸線内での快速運転▽東京メトロの経営参画--などを提案した。市は需要の増加に向けた行程表をつくり、市長の判断を仰ぐという。清水市長は「提案いただいた(需要増加の)手法がどのタイミングでできるか考えた上で総合的に判断する」と述べた。

一方、地元は「延伸断念」の判断が下らなかったことに胸をなで下ろしている。岩槻区の自治会関係者らでつくる「市民協議会」の田中岑夫会長は「周辺住民にとって延伸は数十年来の悲願。市長の判断次第」と期待する。協議会はこの日、さいたま商工会議所と延伸実現に向けた期成会を発足する考えも表明し、田中会長は「期成会がしっかりと旗を振れば市民がまとまってくれるのでは」と語った。

==============

■解説
 ◇明確な戦略提示求める

最終報告書は、延伸計画は採算性に乏しく実現には沿線の需要増加策が必要と判断した。仮に延伸を決断するならば需要増加につながる明確な戦略を市民に提示せよ、とボールを清水市長に投げ返した形だ。

報告書が「(延伸のための)方策の成功を当て込んで事業化を図ることは難しい」と念押ししたことは評価したい。浦和美園駅周辺開発は、SR開業前年の00年に始まったが、進捗(しんちょく)状況は総面積の約21%にとどまるなど、需要予測の甘さはすでに明らかだ。

委員会で再三指摘されたのは「沿線の街づくりのビジョンが見えない」ということだった。にぎわいを取り戻すため、赤字覚悟で延伸するのか。

さいたま商工会議所の松永功会頭は12日、期成会の結成についての会見で「赤字になったリスクを負うことまでは我々は考えていない」と突き放した。延伸ありきで赤字路線を抱え込めば、そのつけは行政サービスの低下で市民、県民の生活に跳ね返る。街づくりと財政を踏まえ、延伸の意味を市長が判断すべき時だろう。
Google Map:
http://g.co/maps/ry84v

The future of the 7.2 km extension of the Saitama Railway from Urawa Misono Station to Iwatsuki Station on the Tōbu Noda Line is a bit uncertain, as the report by the Saitama City special committee estimated a benefit-to-cost ratio of 0.9. However, the report also identified possible areas of improvement, including increased development around Urawa Misono Station and Iwatsuki Station, limited-stop service along the Saitama Railway and proposed extension, and participation in the project by Tōkyō Metro. Apparently, development is proceeding much slower than expected around Urawa Misono Station, where only 21% of the total area has been developed since the opening of the Saitama Railway in 2000.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:40 AM   #3596
quashlo

Narihirabashi Station becomes Tōkyō Sky Tree Station: Part 1

On 2012.03.17, Narihirabashi Station was renamed to Tōkyō Sky Tree Station (to be exact, “Tokyo Skytree Station”). Together with these changes, the Isesaki Line from Asakusa / Oshiage to Tōbu Dōbutsu Kōen was renamed the Tōkyō Sky Tree Line.

There is some disapproval regarding the renaming… Personally, I think it’s fine to rename it Tōkyō Sky Tree (I also think keeping it as Narihirabashi wouldn’t have hurt anyone), but I still can’t fathom why they went with hiragana instead of kanji for “Tōkyō”. Doesn’t really help anyone except foreign visitors who can’t read kanji, but they’d still be able to read “Sky Tree” anyways… The hiragana also makes it unnecessarily long. In any event, Oshiage Station (Tōkyō Metro Hanzōmon Line, Toei Asakusa Line, and Keisei Oshiage Line), the other station serving the Sky Tree site, also got a second name (“Sky Tree-mae”).

asahi.com video report (2012.03.17):

Narihirabashi Station, as preparations are being made for the transition (2012.013.16).

The station ends its duties as “Narihirabashi Station” (2012.03.17):

Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:41 AM   #3597
quashlo

Narihirabashi Station becomes Tōkyō Sky Tree Station: Part 2

A short tour through the portions of the renovated station that opened… There’s still much of the station that’s being worked on. Also of note, with the station renaming, all inbound and a handful of outbound limited expresses now began stopping at the station to improve access to the Sky Tree for visitors from areas along the Tōbu Line in Saitama and Gunma.

Dawn scenes with the Tōkyō Sky Tree and the Tōbu Isesaki Line’s Sumida River bridge (2012.03.11):

About a week ago, Tōbu also began broadcasting a new CM to advertise the Spacia limited express service and the 2012.05.22 opening of the Tōkyō Sky Tree. They also revamped their website.

Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:41 AM   #3598
quashlo

Narihirabashi Station becomes Tōkyō Sky Tree Station: Part 3

Tōbu has also begun introducing renovated 100 series Spacia limited express units for services to Nikkō and Kinugawa. Perhaps the most interesting thing about the renovation is the three new paint schemes—“Sunny Coral Orange”, Iki “Refinement”, and Miyabi “Elegance”—and the new Spacia logo based on the Sky Tree.

Some pictures of the Miyabi set:
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/toubu11635f/[/i]

The pantographs are still the original double arms. These are old sets, so the renovation was mostly redoing the paint scheme and the interior a bit.

Rollsigns haven’t been switched out, but the new paint scheme includes the new Tōbu Railway logo introduced last year.

The new Spacia logo. The “I” is shaped like the Sky Tree, while the three stars represent the three landmark destinations served by the Spacia: Asakusa, Tōkyō Sky Tree Town, and Nikkō.

Intermediate car
Pretty good lines.

Video (2012.03.04).
All three paint schemes feature Tōbu Group’s new corporate color “future blue”, combined with a second color: the Miyabi features an elegant and dignified Edo purple, the Iki a light blue reminiscent of the Sumida River, and the third set the “sunny coral orange” standard for Nikkō and Kinugawa limited expresses. Miyabi and Iki are actually the two main illumination schemes for the Sky Tree. Some of the seat moquettes inside the trains were also replaced with new ones based on a Sky Tree motif. Can also see the headmarks on the trains counting down the remaining days until the Sky Tree opening.

Overall, I’m very impressed with the Sky Tree efforts by Tōbu, which have completely revamped my image of the railway and continued the very best of the private railway tradition. While there are other large trackside developments being carried out by railways like Hikarie, I can’t recall anything in recent memory of quite the same scale and importance as the Sky Tree, excepting of course JR East’s mega-developments. The Sky Tree should be a big boon for Tōbu passenger numbers, as I expect a lot of people will want to link a journey to the tower with a day in Asakusa, bringing many visitors to a forgotten part of the metropolis.

Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:42 AM   #3599
quashlo

Grade crossing near Sky Tree will be eliminated
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/otona/railw...OYT8T00827.htm

Quote:
 東京スカイツリー(東京都墨田区押上)の開業で、最寄りの東武伊勢崎線・業平橋―曳舟駅間の踏切周辺で渋滞が起きる恐れがあるとして、墨田区は両駅間の線路約750メートルを高架化することを決めた。区が事業主体となり、総事業費は275億円に上る見通し。2017年度に着工し、23年度末の供用開始を目指す。

都と区の負担額は117億円に上るとみられ、区は今後、事業費の負担割合などを都と協議する方針。

区によると、両駅間にある同線第2号踏切(押上1)は、朝方のピーク時は通過するのに最大約30分かかり、地元から改善を求める声が出ていた。

都は04年、主に交通量が多く、遮断機の下りている時間の長い踏切を含む都内20区間について、都が事業主体となって立体化を検討する計画を決定。しかし、今回の区間は「区間内に遮断機が下りている時間の長い踏切が一つしかない」として計画から漏れたため、区が事業主体となって整備を目指すことにした。

区の負担が増える可能性があるが、区拠点整備課は「区民や観光客の利便性を考え、早く高架化を実現するためにはやむをえない」としている。
This crossing (Isesaki Line Grade Crossing No. 2) is located in Oshiage 1-chōme a couple hundred meters east of the Sky Tree site. With the opening of the Sky Tree, there is some worry about the increased traffic generated by the Sky Tree development. During the morning rush hour, it can take as long as 30 minutes to cross the tracks, and locals have been pushing to have a solution implemented.

The Isesaki Line is already grade-separated on the west side of the Sky Tree site at Narihirabashi Station, but this project would add another grade-separated road connection on the east side. Approx. 750 m of the Isesaki Line surrounding the crossing will be elevated, with a projected total cost of approx. ¥27.5 billion, of which the Metropolitan Government and Sumida Ward are expected to bear as much as ¥11.7 billion. Apparently, this is not one of the 20 worst sections within the limits of Tōkyō Prefecture, and the Metropolitan Government is not required to become project lead, leaving Sumida Ward to push the project forward.

Groundbreaking will take place in FY2017, and the new elevated track will enter service in late FY2023.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:42 AM   #3600
quashlo

Tōbu breaks ground on Takenotsuka Station continuous grade-separation
http://www.tobu.co.jp/file/pdf/86aab...20120330170602

Quote:
東武鉄道(本社:京都墨田区 東武鉄道)では、 足立区が進めている都市計画事業である、東京都足立区内の東武スカイツリーライン(伊勢崎線)「竹ノ塚駅」付近の約1.7km区間の連続立体交差事業(高架化)において、このたび同区との施行協定を2012年3月30日(金)付で締結し事業に着手いたます。

この事業は、鉄道の高架化により2か所踏切が除却され安全性が向上ほか、周辺道路網の整備により交通渋滞が緩和されるとともに、鉄道により分断されていた市街地を一体化することによって総合的なまちづくりを進めるもので、2020年度完成を目指します。

また、この高架化により、竹ノ塚駅が高架となり、より安全・安心にご利用し駅に生まれ変わる予定です。

この事業は、足立区・近隣地域の皆さまなどの熱意と努力により、立体化の手続きがに進捗しているものです。工事期間中は、お客さまおよび近隣に住まいの方々にはご不便をおかけすることになりまが、安全を最優先に工事を進め、安心してご利用いただけるよう努めてまいります。

東武伊勢崎線(竹ノ塚駅付近)連続立体交差事業の概要

事業種別
単純連続立体交差事業

事業区間
東武スカイツリーライン(伊勢崎線)西新井~谷塚間 延長約1.7km
住所 東京都足立区栗原四丁目付近 ~ 東伊興三丁目付近

解消される踏切数
2か所
なお、解消される踏切には、平成17年3月15日に事故のあった赤山街道の
踏切(伊勢崎線第37号踏切道)が含まれております。

高架化される駅
竹ノ塚駅(東京都足立区竹の塚6-6-1)

施行協定締結日
2012年3月30日(金)

事業期間
2011年度~2020年度

事業費
約544億円
(負担額 足立区:約456億円 東武鉄道:約88億円)
なお、足立区の負担額は国費及び都費を含みます。

位置図

駅部横断図(イメージ)
This involves the elevation of approx. 1.7 km of the Tōbu Sky Tree Line (Isesaki Line) surrounding Takenotsuka Station. In terms of cost, this is a pretty impressive project, as it will cost ¥54.4 billion, ¥45.6 billion of which will be borne by Adachi Ward and the rest by Tōbu Railway. Project timeline will stretch from FY2011 to FY2020. Two grade crossings will be eliminated, including the crossing with Akayama Kaidō (Isesaki Line Grade Crossing No. 37) where four people were injured or killed in an accident in 2005.

At first, I was a bit curious as to why the outbound express track would be separate from the other three tracks, but it probably has to do with the Tōkyō Metro yard just south of the station—it appears that a separate track connection from the yard will need to remain at ground level, similar to the setup on the Tōkyū Tōyoko Line at Moto-Sumiyoshi.

This is one of the infamous crossings that never (or rarely) open during rush hour due to the train traffic to / from the Tōkyō Metro yard, the quadruple track (technically, five tracks), and the train traffic from the storage tracks just north of the station (some trains start / end at Takenotsuka). The crossing was manually operated by railway staff for many years, but was automated following the accident.

The crossing is still staffed today (2012.04.01):