daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:08 PM   #3601
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Takei Emi is new face of Tōkyō Metro

After a year-long run, An has been replaced by Takei Emi, who has been enjoying increasing popularity as a model recently, doing ads for an array of household corporate names including Shiseidō, Lotte, Softbank, Coca-Cola Japan, Aeon, Nissin Foods, and Nintendō. As typical, I missed the last sets of An’s posters since they take them down immediately after the end of the fiscal year, but anyways, here’s the new CM:

To be honest, last year’s campaign with An didn’t grow on me much, despite having daily (maybe it was weekly?) radio shows on Tōkyō FM … This year’s campaign appears to be substantially more toned down than last year’s, but I think it’ll end up being something between An’s campaign and Aragaki Yui’s campaign.

There’s also another CM out for the ANA and Tōkyō Metro partnership… Airline + railway partnerships are pretty common, often involving joint cards that combine point cards for both the railway group and the airline group, a regular IC farecard with e-money functionality (PASMO, Suica, etc.), and a credit card onto a single card.

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:48 PM   #3602
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5763

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
In any event, Oshiage Station (Tōkyō Metro Hanzōmon Line, Toei Asakusa Line, and Keisei Oshiage Line), the other station serving the Sky Tree site, also got a second name (“Sky Tree-mae”).
Is that a whole new name or a secondary name?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:17 PM   #3603
quashlo

Sorry... Secondary.

押上
(スカイツリー前)

Oshiage
(Sky Tree-mae)

The above is just the Romanization... On the signage, it actually appears as

押上
(スカイツリー前)
Oshiage (SKYTREE)
Old April 3rd, 2012, 08:22 AM   #3604
quashlo

New 817 series classes debut: Part 1

JR Kyūshū’s new 817-2000 and 817-3000 series for the Fukuhoku Yutaka Line and Kagoshima Main Line debuted in revenue service on 2012.03.17. Some videos:

817 series VM3003 + VM3002 + 813 series RM1106 depart Koga in 3+3+3 formation on run 3128M:

Inside and outside an 817-2000 series:

Running sound comparison between 813-1100 series (RM1115) with Tōshiba inverter and 817-3000 series (VM3003) with Hitachi inverter:

Cab view on unit VM3001 on Kagoshima Main Line rapid run 4220M, coupled together with VM3003 and 813 series RM1115 in 3+3+3:
Part 1: Araki – Futsukaichi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm6n5YwuhnM&hd=1
Part 2: Futsukaichi – Minami-Fukuoka http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cY9d1vBqRY&hd=1
Part 3: Minami-Fukuoka – Fukkō Dai-mae http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODBFdqklOm0&hd=1
Part 4: Fukkō Dai-mae – Orio http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cdYu_Q673s&hd=1

Cab view on unit VG2006 on Fukuhoku Yutaka Line run 4634H:
Part 1: Hakata – Sasaguri http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA1bGZACxFw&hd=1
Part 2: Sasaguri – Tentō http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk_3yeCTWDU&hd=1
Part 3: Tentō – Nōgata http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olkTXNjyY7I&hd=1
Old April 3rd, 2012, 08:23 AM   #3605
quashlo

New 817 series classes debut: Part 2

A few pictures at Hakata Station. Not great, but maybe later on we’ll get a better set.
Source: http://ameblo.jp/maimai24/

The existing 817 series sets are unpainted, but the white full-body paint on these latest units really catches the eye.

With the characteristic jumbo LED signs

As indicated on the marker at bottom right here, these were manufactured by Hitachi.

Would have liked some better shots of the interior, as these are the first 817 series to go with all-longitudinal seating.

Yes, this is a Mitooka design…

Apparently, the recent scheduled changes also brought 817 series units down to the Kagoshima area for the first time.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 08:23 AM   #3606
quashlo

Keihan 13000 series to debut April 14

The new Keihan 13000 series will debut on 2012.04.14. The first units have already arrived at the Keihan yard and have begun testing and burn-in.

Sankei video report of the press debut on 2012.03.29.
A very smart train, in keeping with the 3000 series. I suspect any future trains will also feature a similar design.

Testing on the Keihan Main Line. Looks a bit out of place with just four cars on quadruple-track.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 08:24 AM   #3607
quashlo

Ginza Line 1000 series trains will debut April 11

Tōkyō Metro recently announced that the first of the new “retro” 1000 series trains for the Ginza Line will begin revenue service on 2012.04.11. There’s supposed to be two invitation test rides open to the public on 2012.04.04 and 2012.04.07, so hopefully we’ll get some decent pics and videos from that.

For now, some recent clips (2012.03) of testing:

On the Ueno Station curve:

In and out of Asakusa Station:

Old April 3rd, 2012, 01:03 PM   #3608
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Likes (Received): 14462

quashlo, thanks a lot for your decent updates! I enjoy reading them

By the way:

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Advertisement looking for part-time conductors. Pay is ¥1,100 an hour, and you are required to work five days a week for and average of 7h20m each day between 5:00 and 24:00.
given that I am a complete rookie in size of Japanese salaries (and cost of leaving), is ¥1,100 per hour is decent or not?

Last edited by Equario; April 3rd, 2012 at 02:22 PM.
Equario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 02:10 PM   #3609
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6998

not bad. it would be 160000+ per month. 130 times larger than my salary, though i don't work full day. is it after or before tax/social payments?
Old April 3rd, 2012, 04:50 PM   #3610
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
is ¥1,100 per hour is decent or not?
Actually, it's not very good, considering the average hourly wage for part-time jobs in the Kanto area is ¥1045, which basically could be any fast food burger flipper or izakaya server job. A conductor (if it is indeed for this type of job) involves vastly more responsibility in terms of railway operations and passenger safety. A wage like that would be more appropriate for the security contractor-supplied platform attendants used during rush hours.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 05:02 PM   #3611
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

k.k.jetcar, thanks for explanation!
Old April 4th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #3612
quashlo

An interesting little tidbit from a local news station in Illinois:

Japanese Railroad Car Manufacturer to Build Plant in Rochelle, Create 100+ Jobs
http://www.wifr.com/news/headlines/J...145833595.html

Quote:
This will be the company's first plant outside of Japan building rail cars. Nippon Sharyo signed a 560-million dollar contract with Metra Electric line to make 160 rail cars. The plant will produce electric rail cars for Chicago and diesel cars for California and Toronto. Nearly a hundred assembly line workers will be hired this year, with an additional three-hundred by 2013. Nippon Sharyo says many locations were considered, but the Stateline won the contest hands down.

The Metra contract with Chicago runs till 2015, but the company has plans to sign more contracts made between Chicago and St. Louis.
I'm a bit curious what they specifically had in mind here... Chicago may just be more of the standard bilevel commuter cars, but not exactly sure what the St. Louis prospect is.
Old April 4th, 2012, 03:00 AM   #3613
zerokei

Likes (Received): 8

I don't know how much attention this has got in foreign media but western and eastern Japan was hit by strong winds yesterday which disrupted rail and flight traffic among other things. The bad weather is supposed to move north during the day.

Here is some footage from yesterday:

Furthermore, a Marine Liner with about 170 people onboard was stranded for more than 7 hours on the Seto bridge due to the strong wind:

zerokei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #3614
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Pretty severe storm! As I understand it happens every year in Japan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerokei View Post
I don't know how much attention this has got in foreign media
Yes, this issue was highlighted in the media, but of course not that detailed.
Old April 4th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #3615
quashlo

Severe natural events happen maybe a few times a year... This was officially just a low-pressure front, but there are also typhoons, blizzards, etc. Not much use fighting Mother Nature in these situations... All you can do is throw your hands up and tell everyone to stay inside, although the earthquake last year has given all the railways a chance to re-evaluate their emergency procedures.
Old April 4th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #3616
quashlo

New East Exit at Hanshin Sannomiya Station opens: Part 1

Must say I’m very pleased with the results… Overall interior design is quite similar to the Namba Line stations. I assume Hanshin does the architectural design in-house (?), but in any event, the end-result is quite nice. They managed to make a very low ceiling at the concourse level feel pretty open with creative elements like embedding the departure boards in the ceiling and using wave-form ceiling panels. The faux brick actually looks good, too.

Kōbe Shimbun video report on opening day (2011.03.20):

Another video with some better clips of the platform:

A video construction update:
0:05 Start out at the West Exit, Tracks 2 and 3. This end of Platform 2 has been boarded up.
0:15 Track 2 will eventually be a stub track, while the previous stub track (Track 3) will become a through track.
0:30 Track 2, behind the fencing. They’ve already begun demolishing a portion of the platform here.
0:40 Wall panels are progressing along Track 3.
0:50 An overview of the Ōsaka (east) end of the station. Quite a bit of difference between the east (new) and west (old and historic) ends.
1:20 Signage is Hanshin’s modern standard, similar to the Namba Line. This is Platform 3, and we can see they’ve temporarily blotted out the arrowheads since it’s still a stub track at the moment.

Old April 4th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #3617
quashlo

New East Exit at Hanshin Sannomiya Station opens: Part 2

A few photos to finish it off:
Source: http://building-pc.cocolog-nifty.com/map/

Only a small exit at the moment (four gates).

Departure boards on the concourse level are two-row, full-color LEDs:
11:12 Local for Kōsoku Kōbe
11:16 Through-service limited express for Himeji

Concourse, outside the faregates. This not only houses the ticketing area but also doubles as an underground connection north-south between the JR station, Mint Kōbe, the Hanshin station, and the south area (Sogō department store, etc.).

Only three TVMs at the moment, but it’s been built for expansion. The spaces to the side of each pair of TVMs are for the station staff to pop out of the wall to assist you in case you have a question or they detect something faulty with the machine. This is why in most stations, the TVMs are placed adjacent to the manned ticket gate.

Hankyū–Hanshin brand convenience store

The north end of the connecting passage ties into Mint Kōbe, a vertical mall next to the station.

Exit A23, one of the new exits. This is on the south side of Mint Kōbe.

Following the connecting passage on the southwest end takes us to the existing underground mall on the south side of the Sannomiya Station complex.

The other new exit, on the south side of the main road.

Like other large underground complexes, exits within a certain area are grouped by letter and then given a unique number. They’ve gone one step further for Sannomiya and color-coded the letter groups.

Old April 4th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #3618
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

quashlo, thanks for update!

The design of the exit remains me the interior of spaceships that I certainly admit
Old April 4th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #3619
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Kobe metro:

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #3620
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote