daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 7th, 2012, 06:02 AM   #3661
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Tōkyū Corporation to invest ¥100 billion in 7,800-unit urban development project in Vietnam
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/economy/new...8310001-n1.htm

Quote:
 東京急行電鉄はベトナムのビンズン省で、投資額約1千億円規模の都市開発に乗り出す。東急電鉄は、東京西南部の多摩丘陵の一画に、緑豊かな上質の街「多摩田園都市」を開発した実績を持つ。こうした街づくりのノウハウを海外で生かす計画だ。

ビンズン省は、ホーチミン市中心地から17キロメートルに位置する人口約162万の地域で、2020年に首都ハノイや南部商業都市のホーチミンなどと並ぶ主要都市の「中央直轄市」となる。外資系企業の進出先として注目を集め、今後の経済発展が期待されている。

今回の都市開発は、このビンズン省内で行う。約110ヘクタールの土地を取得し、マンションや戸建て住宅など約7800戸を整備するほか、商業施設などで構成される新都市を開発する。

街づくりを進めるため東急電鉄は今月、工業団地などを手がけるベトナムの開発業者「べカメックス」と不動産開発の合弁会社を同省内に設立した。出資比率は、東急電鉄65%、べカメックス35%。資本金は約327億円。

日本企業が街づくりの知見をパッケージ化してベトナムに輸出する取り組みは初めての試み。東急電鉄は現地の人々から憧れの的となるような街づくりを後押ししたい考えだ。
As part of an increasing trend among Japan’s major private railways, Tōkyū Corporation will invest ¥100 billion in an urban development project in Bình Dương New City (Bình Dương Province, Vietnam), located about 17 km from central Ho Chi Minh City, taking advantage of knowhow gained in the Tama Den’en Toshi (Tama Garden City) development in the western suburbs of Tōkyō.

Tōkyū happens to be the most profitable private railway in Japan… They certainly have a bit of prestige about them in the Tōkyō area thanks to all of their trackside development over the years, but they have brand-name recognition all across Japan thanks to Tōkyū Hands and Shibuya 109. With declining business prospects at home, they’re now trying to leverage their profits and expertise in overseas markets, purchasing approx. 110 ha of land in Bình Dương New City to build 7,800 new homes and new retail facilities. They’ve already teamed up with Becamex, a Vietnamese developer of industrial parks and other projects, to form a JV for real estate development. Tōkyū owns 65% of the JV and Becamex 35%. The Becamex press release is here:
http://becamex.com.vn/en/news-events...-ca-mt-o-th-tr

News of these efforts came with the recent release of Tōkyū’s latest three-year plan, in which overseas urban development is one of four key strategic policies:
http://www.tokyu.co.jp/contents_inde.../120327-1.html

The three-year plan also mentions a development in Yanchep, Western Australia, a suburb of Perth, where Tōkyū and its subsidiaries own 2,100 ha of the 7,000 ha total development area. The entire development will eventually house 150,000 residents and 55,000 new jobs.

Not sure if I ever posted these CMs for Tōkyū Group… The emphasis is entirely on the attractiveness of Tōkyū’s neighborhoods, which are some of the most desirable places to live in the metropolis.

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2012, 06:02 AM   #3662
quashlo

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries develops prototype unit for intelligent platform doors
http://www.nikkei.com/tech/news/arti...E2E2E2E2E2E2E2

Quote:
 三菱重工交通機器エンジニアリング(広島県三原市)は、扉数の異なる鉄道車両が走る線区で使えるホームドア(可動式ホーム柵)を展示用に1両(20m)分製作し、報道機関に公開した(図1)。

図1 三菱重工交通機器エンジニアリングが公開した鉄道車両1両分のホームドア

展示用機は、支柱6本とホームドア10枚で構成し、2~4扉いずれの車両にも対応できる配置にした。今後、顧客に当たる鉄道事業者を招いての説明に用いる。

同ホームドアは、片側2扉、3扉、4扉の車両がホームに停車した際、その扉の場所に合わせて通路を開く「どこでもドア」機構を採用(構造などについては下記の「日経BPの関連記事」を参照)。多様な運行形態を採る国内のJR在来線や私鉄向けに売り込む。

ホームドアはこれまで新規開業路線での設置が多かったが、国土交通省は乗降人員の多い駅(1日10万人以上)については既存の路線にも設置するよう努めるべきであるとの考え方を2011年8月に公表している。しかし既存路線はさまざまな形式の車両が走っていたり、相互乗り入れの相手線区の車両が来たりするなど、扉位置の異なる車両に対応する必要がある。開口部の場所が決まっている通常のホームドアは「既に価格競争になっている」(三菱重工交通機器エンジニアリング)ことから、扉位置の異なる車両にも対応できることを付加価値として訴求していく。

開口部が一定のホームドアに比べてコストは少し上昇するが「支柱とドアで構成することは変わらないので、コストが2倍も上昇するようなことはない」(同社)。むしろ、設置コスト全体で見ると工事費の比率が高くなっており、短時間で設置できることの方が重要になっているという。このため、現場での基礎工事や配線工事を簡略化できるよう配慮した設計にした。例えば、配線には点字ブロックの幅で深さ数cmの溝があれば十分なようにした(図2)。

同社はホームドアのデモ用機の公開と同時に、曲線区間にあるホームと車両のすきまをふさいだり、ホームとの車両の段差をなめらかにつないだりする「どこでもステップ」を発表した。折り畳んだ状態で収納されているスロープを、ボールねじでリンク機構を押すことによって車両の方へ持ち上げるように突き出す。隙間と段差を同時に解消できるところが特徴という(図3図4)。

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Transportation Equipment Engineering & Service (MHI-TES) has developed a prototype for a platform door capable of handling trains with different door positions. The prototype unit is one carlength (20 m) and has a total of six stanchions and ten leaves, making it possible to handle trains with two, three, or four doors per side.

In order to reduce installation costs compared to regular platform door systems, they’ve designed it for quick installation, such as by housing all the electrical wiring underneath the tactile detection tiles (the second image).

The other interesting feature is an advanced type of gap filler that actually doubles as a ramp so that it eliminated both horizontal and vertical gaps. This is illustrated in the third and fourth images.
Old April 7th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #3663
quashlo

Platform doors enter service at Ōsaka Tenmangū Station, on Tōkyō Metro Yūrakuchō Line

In other platform door news, JR West inaugurated their second platform door installation for zairaisen (non-Shinkansen line) on 2012.03.28 at Ōsaka Tenmangū Station on the JR Tōzai Line in central Ōsaka:
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/region/news...2010002-n1.htm

The first installation was at Kita-Shinchi Station, also on the Tōzai Line. Like the Kita-Shinchi Station installation, these are half-height doors, 140 m long and 1.3 m tall, for two tracks. Cost was approx. ¥330 million, or about ¥5.9 million per train door. Daily ridership at the station is about 46,500 (FY2010). I haven’t heard anything about future installations, but I suspect the rest of the Tōzai Line stations would be high on the list of candidate stations.

In the Tōkyō area, installation of platform doors is continuing on the Yūrakuchō Line. They are more than halfway with done with the line, and with the scheduled completion of installation at Wakō-shi Station on 2012.07.07, a total of 78 of 179 Tōkyō Metro stations will have received platform doors (44% completion).

The platform doors open for the first time at Sakuradamon Station (2012.02.11):

Last edited by quashlo; April 7th, 2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old April 8th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #3664
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5739

Excellent updates on platform door installation
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 04:21 AM   #3665
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 460

I've got something that involves platform doors too-- plus some other Tokyu related items...

Tōkyū Oimachi Station Platform Doors
Apparently they went and installed platform doors on the Oimachi line's terminus about a month and a half ago. As I only use this station to go to Oidaiba using the Rinkai line (to go to Tokyo Big Sight, the convention center) I hadn't been through here in a few months.

As you can see, door and car locations are clearly marked. Oimachi line trains run in 5 or 6 car formations, so there's a chance you could be standing in an area where the doors won't open when the train comes.
This is the same signage that is found now on the Meguro Line platform doors as well.

I love Tokyu's 6000-series train design. Reminds me a little of Kintetsu's Urban Liners.

Tōkyū Route Marker signage installation in progress

As Quashlo reported earlier, new signs are going up on all Tokyu routes to identify the different routes. A two letter code is assigned now to the different lines, along with a particular color. Oimachi Line is represented by the letters "OM" and the color orange. Stations have a number assigned to them as well. I assume Oimachi station is "OM1" but I didn't see a sign for it when I was there that day... but I did see this one.

Tōkyū Tōyoko line trains receiving new one-man operations equipment

All the trains in the 5050 series and 4000-5050 series need to have certain equipment in order to run one-man operations on the Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin line later this summer. This includes these monitors that allows the motorman to view the platform via video camera, so they can operate the doors from the front end of the train.

Tōkyū's new Hikarie development gets an "Ad-Train"

The new Hikarie building in Shibuya will be Tokyu's new flagship department store when it opens 26 April. It will also be a part of the new terminal station when Toyoko line trains switch to the Fukutoshin line tunnel later this summer. As such, here's a wrapped train. The entire train's interior ad space also carries the theme as well. (sorry about the blur--was rushing to work that day)

Also I can completely agree about Tokyu and their planned developments. Hiyoshi was a planned neighborhood by Tokyu back in the early '70s. (it looks just like Den'en Chofu from the sky) I enjoy living here, that's for sure--not to mention the convenient train connections. Taking the Fukutoshin line later this summer into account, a total of 4 Tokyo Metro subways will stop at Hiyoshi while thru-servicing. At the other end, Yohohama station, and Minato-Mirai in 15 minutes. 7-10 years from now, it'll also be a one-train ride to Shin-Yokohama station as well. ...I wish I could own some property here!!
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #3666
quashlo

Thanks, I had no idea about the platform doors at Ōimachi Station... Caught me completely off-guard with that one.

Looks like the setup is similar to Haneda Airport International Terminal Station on the Keikyū Airport Line... The train door and platform door systems are operated independently.

Interesting that you caught the Tōkyū Car Co. logo there, as these platform doors may actually be one of the last products produced under that name. They were only officially founded after the war, but they've done quite a variety of work, including Shinkansen units. They've now get the generic-sounding name of J-TREC, or Japan Transport Engineering Company.
Old April 8th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #3667
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post

The first EV bus in regular (non-trial) revenue service began operating on 2012.03.10 on Hamuran, Hamura City’s “community bus” service. Since 2005, there have been only three routes on the community bus network, but the EV bus has been introduced on a new fourth route (7.4 km) linking Hamura and Ozaku Stations on the JR Ōme Line, stopping at Hamura City Hall, the Hamura Citizens’ Hall, and the Hamura Public Library. The route is operated by Nishi-Tōkyō Bus (majority owned by Keiō Corporation), becoming the first EV bus in regular (non-trial) revenue service.
Is that line really 7.4km? It doesn't seem that it should be much more than 3.5 km if it's just running between Hamura and Ozaku stations.
Old April 8th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #3668
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Is that line really 7.4km? It doesn't seem that it should be much more than 3.5 km if it's just running between Hamura and Ozaku stations.
The length is a round trip with Hamura City Hall being the start and end point.

http://www.city.hamura.tokyo.jp/0000004479.html

http://www.city.hamura.tokyo.jp/cmsf...43/busstop.pdf
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #3669
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
The length is a round trip with Hamura City Hall being the start and end point.

http://www.city.hamura.tokyo.jp/0000004479.html

http://www.city.hamura.tokyo.jp/cmsf...43/busstop.pdf
Thanks for the map link. Makes more sense now.
Old April 8th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #3670
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Thanks, I had no idea about the platform doors at Ōimachi Station... Caught me completely off-guard with that one.
Me too! I almost ran into them getting off the train, because I had no idea it would be there. The platform got widened a few years back remember? But I'm sure the A.M. rush is ridiculous here so they needed them.

Quote:
Interesting that you caught the Tōkyū Car Co. logo there, as these platform doors may actually be one of the last products produced under that name....They've now get the generic-sounding name of J-TREC, or Japan Transport Engineering Company.
Don't remind me. After Kintetsu, Tokyu is my 2nd favorite car builder here. I can't imagine riding a Tokyu train made by some other company... But in Nagoya everything there is made by Nippon Sharyo... which may as well call itself JR Tokai Car Company, right?
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #3671
hakubi

Likes (Received): 0

Nippon Sharyo is, according to Japanese Wikipedia, a consolidated subsidiary (連結子会社) of JR Central, with JRC owning 50.1% of the company. It looks like a lot of JRC's EMUs are actually spread across a few manufacturers. Some 373s were built by Hitachi, some 383s by Hitachi and Kawasaki, some 311s by Hitachi, Kawasaki, and Kinki, and some 313s by Kinki and Tokyu. Nippon Sharyo was involved in all of them. The new KIHA25 is interesting in that it was built by Nippon Sharyo, without the involvement of Niigata Transsys or whatever it's called now. A lot of older DMUs were built by them or Fuji, and Fuji no longer builds railcars iirc.
hakubi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 01:27 AM   #3672
quashlo

Since we’re somewhat on the topic of the demise of the Tōkyū Car brand, I thought it might be fun to see some of their overseas legacy… Especially if one can’t easily make it to Japan.

Iarnród Éireann (Irish Rail) Dublin Area Rapid Transit (DART) 8520 Class EMUs

Iarnród Éireann 2800 Class DMUs

Singapore MRT C151 cars… Kawasaki seems to get most of the credit here, but I was surprised to learn that Tōkyū also produced some cars for them, alongside Nippon Sharyō and Kinki Sharyō.

Cleveland RTA Red Line cars

Old April 9th, 2012, 01:28 AM   #3673
quashlo

Buffalo Metro Rail LRVs

Boeing Vertol LRVs for Boston MBTA and San Francisco Municipal Railway (I was wondering why the Metro Rail LRVs looked so much like the old Boeing LRVs… Turns out the car shells were manufactured by Tōkyū). I’m surprised this thing still runs, considering the shape it’s in… Used to ride these as a kid.

Metro North M4 cars

And, while secondhand, ex-Tōkyū cars in Jakarta:

Old April 9th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #3674
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Iarnród Éireann's 22000 Class DMUs were built by Hyundai Rotem but have Tōkyū bogies. Perhaps Hyundai Rotem didn't have any bogie designs that could be adapted to Irish broad gauge (1600 mm).
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #3675
quashlo

There’s probably a lot more like that… Tōkyū licensed Budd’s stainless steel car and bogie designs, but the info online is so sparse (particularly the further back you go), that it’s difficult to piece together a full picture. Even for whole trainsets, I can’t find any decent pics or videos of the one train manufactured for the Beijing Subway in 1984, at least a few cars of which eventually found their way to the Tianjin Metro. There’s also some smaller orders, like the 10 prototype bilevel commuter cars for the LIRR (C1 cars) and the VRE commuter cars.

Here’s some older Tōkyū-manufactured stock in Thailand:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=591780
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:13 AM   #3676
quashlo

New 225-6000 series enters service on the Fukuchiyama Line

This is a new class of 225 series specifically for the Fukuchiyama Line (Takarazuka Line) services., replacing the 113 series and 221 series on the line. Doesn’t appear to be substantially different from the 225-0 series for rapids and special rapids on the Tōkaidō Line / San’yō Line groups and the 225-5000 series for the Kishūji rapids and Airport rapids on the Hanwa Line / Kansia Airport line groups. Base formations are 4 or 6 cars.

An out-of-service train at Amagasaki:

Rapid from the Takarazuka Line arriving at Ōsaka:

Old April 10th, 2012, 02:13 AM   #3677
quashlo

JR Hokkaidō 733 series makes press debut
http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2012/03/15/060/

Quote:
JR北海道は14日、学園都市線(桑園~新十津川間)のうち、札幌圏で唯一の非電化区間となっていた桑園~北海道医療大学間(28.9km)を6月1日より電化すると発表した。これにより札幌~北海道医療大学間の列車の約7割が電車となり、札幌~石狩当別間の所要時間は最大9分短縮される。10月には、札幌~北海道医療大学間の列車をすべて電車化する計画だ。

同社はこれに合わせて、学園都市線を含む札幌圏(小樽~札幌~滝川間、札幌~新千歳空港・苫小牧間)に新型通勤電車733系・735系を投入。733系は6月に18両、10月に残り18両の計36両を導入予定だ。同車両はステンレス鋼製、オールロングシートで、定員439人(座席数148)。最高運転速度は時速120km。現在運行している通勤電車731系より客室床面が10cm低く、ノンステップで乗降できる。車体幅は従来の車両より約9cm広く、客室スペースの拡大により混雑緩和を図れるとしている。さらに、従来よりスペースを拡大した車いす対応トイレや車いすスペースも設けるとのこと。

新型通勤電車733系の外観

新型通勤電車733系の客室

On 2012.03.14, JR Hokkaidō announced that EMUs would begin revenue service on the Sasshō Line (Gakken Toshi Line) on 2012.06.01. For the past couple of years or so, they’ve been working on electrifying the 28.9 km Sōen – Hokkaidō Iryō Daigaku section of the line, the only un-electrified JR section in the Sapporo area. Approx. 70 percent of the trains between Sapporo and Hokkaidō Iryō Daigaku will be operated with EMUs, with travel time between Sapporo and Ishikari Tōbetsu being reduced by as much as 9 min. By October, the section to Hokkaidō Iryō Daigaku will only be operated with EMUs.

As part of the electrification, new 733 series EMUs will enter service on JR’s Sapporo area network (Otaru – Sapporo – Takikawa, Sapporo – Shin-Chitose Airport / Tomakomai), starting with 18 cars in June and the remaining 18 cars in October. The 735 series trains, featuring an aluminum alloy body to test the potential for this design in Hokkaidō’s snowy environment, have been in testing in the Sapporo area for some time already. Based on the results of those tests, JR Hokkaidō switched back to a stainless steel body for the 733 series. Base formation is three cars, with a capacity of 439 passengers (148 seated). The car body is about 9 cm wider than existing stock, increasing passenger space, and the wheelchair space and accessible restroom have been widened. The units are compatible and can be coupled with the other EMU series in the Sapporo area (721 series, 731 series, 735 series), but not with the DMUs (Kiha 201 series). These are being manufactured by Kawasaki.

Two units being hauled by locomotive in Hokkaidō from Kōbe:

A 735 series on tests arrives at Asahikawa coupled to a 731 series.

Old April 10th, 2012, 02:14 AM   #3678
quashlo

Groundbreaking for new east-west public passage at JR Shinjuku Station
http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/na...202000061.html

Quote:
 駅の東口と西口の往来が不便なJR新宿駅で、東西を自由に行き来できる通路の工事が、四月にも始まる。現在、同駅の東西出口にある改札を移動し、二〇二〇年ごろと予想される完成後は、切符がなくても通れるようになる。JRだけで一日約百五十万人が乗降するマンモス駅は、周辺を回遊する人波も大きくなりそうだ。

商業施設が並ぶ東口と高層ビル群がある西口を直結する通り道は現在、「中央通路」と「北通路」があるが、東西各二カ所、計四カ所の出口はすべて改札。改札を通らずに行き来するには、北通路のさらに北約八十メートルを並行する東京メトロ丸ノ内線側の地下通路などを使うが、自由通路が完成すれば二分程度短縮できる。

JR東日本や新宿区によると、自由通路は北通路を改修して造る。駅の地下一階部分に当たり、長さ約百メートル。東西の両端にある改札を通路の南側に移し、幅も現在の十七メートルから二十五メートルに広げる。

事業費は約百十五億円を見込み、JR東と区、国がほぼ三分の一ずつ負担する。

自由通路は、地元商店街などが「駅周辺の回遊性が高まることで、街の活性化につながる」と設置を要望。〇八年に区とJR東が基本協定を結び、事業を進めてきた。終電後、始発までのわずかな時間で作業するため、工期は八年近くに及ぶ。

JR東は事業に合わせ、一階部分に当たる線路やホームを支える盛り土を掘削。柱を新たに設けるなどして、地下一階に大きな空間(面積約三千平方メートル)を造る予定。

この空間は、JR東が品川、東京駅などで展開する構内型の商業施設になるとの見方もあり、地元商店街は「利用者を囲い込むのでは」と動向を注視している。

JR東は「今のところ新空間の利用法は決まっていない。仮に商業展開することになっても、自由通路で東西の街に駅利用者を誘導できるようにする」と説明している。
This is a new public passage connecting the East and West Exit areas of the JR station. Construction starts this month.

Currently, the JR station has two underground passages (the Central Passage and the North Passage) with a total of four exits (two on each side), but both passages are inside the paid area of the station, and only accessible by passing through the faregates. To cross east-west underground requires going approx. 80 m north to the parallel underground passage along the Tōkyō Metro Marunouchi Line. The other option is simply staying on the surface and taking a detour on the 大ガード route underneath the JR viaduct.

This would create a new east-west public passage through the station, shaving a couple minutes off the current route via the Marunouchi Line underground passage. The new 100 m passage will be constructed by widening the existing North Passage (Level B1 of the station) from 17 m to 25 m so that people can pass through without using the faregates. This a station upgrade project, so JR, the local jurisdiction (Shinjuku Ward), and the national government will split the ¥11.5 billion cost evenly in thirds.

JR alone has 1.5 million daily entries and exits at Shinjuku, and given the high pedestrian flows between the west side office district and east side entertainment / retail district, this should be a marked improvement. It’s currently a bit of a pain to get from one side to the other... If you somehow get out on the wrong side, you’re forced to take the long detour around.

The initial petition for the project came from the local commercial district, and JR and Shinjuku Ward later signed a memorandum of understanding in 2008. The construction will take close to eight years (completion in FY2020), as they are limited to doing the work after the end of service each night and before the start of service the next day. The work isn’t easy, as they will need to excavate the earth supporting the JR tracks and replace it with new structural columns to create enough open space for the new passage. There’ll likely be some retail zone in the passage as well, although the exact scope has yet to be determined.

Apologies for the size, but this really is the best visualization of the entire station complex in 3D…
The paid area of the JR station is in orange, with the corridor on top being the North Passage and the diagonal corridor at bottom the Central Passage. The east-west purple corridor just north of the JR North Passage is the Marunouchi Line passage.

Old April 10th, 2012, 06:14 AM   #3679
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Wow, that diagram is balling! (and not just because it includes an outline of male genitalia)
Old April 10th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #3680
quashlo

E233 series coming to Saikyō Line, Yokohama Line

Official JR East press release, hot off the presses:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2012/20120404.pdf

Well, if you were wondering when they were eventually going to get rid of those ratty 205 series trains on the Saikyō Line and Yokohama Line, you don’t have to wonder any more.

Saikyō Line / Kawagoe Line / Rinkai Line:
10-car formations (6M4T)
31 trains (310 cars total)
Entering service starting FY2013

Yokohama Line / Keihin–Tōhoku Line / Negishi Line:
8-car formations (4M4T)
28 trains (224 cars)
Entering service starting FY2014

Capacity of the E233 series is 10% greater than the 205 series (1,564 pax vs. 1,424 pax for the Saikyō Line, 1,244 pax vs. 1,136 pax for the Yokohama Line), which should be a great improvement, particularly on the sardine-can Saikyō Line. These units will be the first to use LEDs for 100% of interior lighting, consuming about 40% less electricity than fluorescent lighting. Overall, these trains will consume about 30% less electricity than the 205 series trains they will be replacing. What’s not clear is whether these will contain six-door standee-only cars (some of the 205 series cars on these lines were originally from the Yamanote Line), but I suspect those will be dropped, as not every 205 series train on these lines has them anyways.

There was some hearsay that the Saikyō Line and Yokohama Line would get the Yamanote Line’s E231 stock when their replacement cycle came up, replaced by a new “E235 series”. Now we know that’s no longer the case.