daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 16th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #3881
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Good video. Notice that the drivers control stand is located on the right side of the cab (most controls in Japanese trains are on the left). This is because the monorail is a driver-only operation with no guard/conductor ("one-man"), and as the stations are island type layout, this places the driver closest to the platform and allows visual check of the platform barriers closing.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #3882
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

New technology for Kawasaki City subway may take time
http://news.kanaloco.jp/localnews/article/1205300032/

Quote:
 川崎市は30日、初期整備区間として新百合ケ丘と武蔵小杉駅を結ぶ地下鉄(川崎縦貫高速鉄道)事業のあり方を検討していた有識者組織「新技術による川崎縦貫鉄道整備推進検討委員会」(大西隆委員長)の提言書を発表した。事業の整備意義や必要性があるとする一方で、新技術(動力に燃料電池、蓄電池)の実用化には時間がかかると指摘。中長期的な観点から、2012年度中に策定する川崎市総合都市交通計画の中での位置付けを検討する必要があると結論づけた。

委員会の提言を受け、市は中長期的な観点に立って事業計画を検討する一方で、JR南武線の連続立体交差化(武蔵小杉―尻手)など既存路線の利便性向上などに優先して取り組む方針だ。

委員会は09年12月に発足。地下鉄事業をめぐり、コスト削減や環境への配慮などの観点から新技術導入の効果などを検証してきた。検討テーマは(1)交通システム(トンネル断面縮小によるコスト削減)(2)動力システム(蓄電池、燃料電池による社会的ニーズへの寄与など)(3)トンネル施工技術(工期の短縮によるコスト削減)―の3点。

既存路線との直接運転や既存車両基地・駅の活用、需要予測などに基づき五つのパターンを検証した結果、新技術導入によるコスト削減は、いずれも目標の3割減には届かなかった。一方で、中長期的な損益収支や費用対効果の面から事業性が見込めるとした。その上で、「導入意義のある蓄電池、あるいは燃料電池といった動力システムは実用化に向けた技術開発に時間を要する」と指摘。

結論として▽新技術の実用化に向けた技術開発動向のモニタリング▽関係機関との合意形成への取り組み▽社会環境の変化のモニタリング―の三つの視点を踏まえ、「中長期的な視点に立ち川崎市総合都市交通計画の中で位置付けを検討する必要がある」と提言。効果が十分に表れる事業化の時期を見極めることの必要性があるとの認識を示した。

◆地下鉄整備計画
 2001年、初期整備区間(新百合ケ丘―宮前平―元住吉)について国の鉄道事業許可を取得したが、市民アンケートの結果などから03年に「5年程度の着工延期」を決定。事業再評価を行い許可の廃止届を国に提出する一方、元住吉を通らず武蔵小杉駅に接続する計画に変更した。
The committee of experts tasked with analyzing the potential use of new technologies for the proposed Cross-Kawasaki Rapid Railway (i.e., the Kawasaki Municipal Subway) from Shin-Yurigaoka to Musashi Kosugi published its report on 2012.05.30. The committee was responsible for evaluating the potential of new technology as a means to reduce overall project cost, including reducing the tunnel diameters, introducing new propulsion technologies (batteries, fuel cells), and accelerating the construction schedule.

The committee looked at five different scenarios that considered through-servicing with existing lines and shared use of existing railyards and stations, but concluded that the cost savings from use of a new technology for the subway would still not be able to reach the desired target of 30%. However, they still concluded that the line was feasible based on a positive benefit-cost ratio (1.5 for a 30-year timeframe and 1.7 for a 50-year timeframe) and complete payoff of construction and associated debt in the long-term (18 years after opening based on profit and loss and 11 years after opening based on cash flow). However, it will still take time to develop any useful new forms of propulsion such as batteries or fuel cells.

Based on the committee recommendations, the city will continue evaluating the project as a long-term improvement, but plans to prioritize it over projects that would improve the convenience of existing lines, such as the continuous grade-separation of the JR Nambu Line (Musashi Kosugi – Shitte).

This project has been on the radar for some time, with the first phase from Shin-Yurigaoka to Moto-Sumiyoshi via Miyamaedaira securing basic approvals from the national government way back in 2001. After a survey of Kawasaki City residents in 2003, groundbreaking on the project was delayed by five years. The city later called for a re-evaluation of the project in 2005 and applied with the national government to have the original approvals for a route through Moto-Sumiyoshi rescinded in 2006. The latest proposal now has the line going through Musashi Kosugi instead of Moto-Sumiyoshi, and proposes through-servicing with the Odakyū Tama Line (instead of a separate station at Shin-Yurigaoka) and shared use of Karakida Yard (instead of a new, separate railyard at Mizusawa, connecting into the line at Zōshiki).
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #3883
quashlo

Some more detailed info on the project:

Alignment, profile view:

Track layout, plan view:

Basic project summary (from the committee report):

Project lead: Kawasaki City (Category 1 railway operator)
Operating length (construction length): 16.7 km (16.8 km)
Stations: 11
Standards:
  • Design maximum speed: 90 km/h
  • Gauge: 1,067 mm
  • Running method: Adhesion propulsion
  • Rolling stock: 20 m cars, 136 pax capacity per lead car, 145 pax capacity per middle car
Ridership demand: Approx. 204,000 pax / day
Service plan:
  • Stopping patterns: Express, local (one-man operations)
  • Travel time: Express approx. 16 min, local approx. 26 min
  • Trains per hour: Morning rush: 15; midday off-peak: 6; evening rush: 10
  • Formation length: 6 cars
  • Fleet size: 15 trains, 90 cars
Project cost: ¥433.6 billion
Bilateral through-service:
  • With Odakyū Tama Line: Prerequisite for the project
  • With Keikyū Daishi Line: Prerequisite for the project (when the full line opens)

Ridership forecasts:
Kawasaki City ↔ Kawasaki City: 42,000 (21%)
Kawasaki City ↔ Outside Kawasaki City: 112,000 (55%)
Outside Kawasaki City ↔ Outside Kawasaki City: 49,000 (24%)

Station summary
All stations except Shin-Yurigaoka will be underground to reduce land acquisition costs, with the alignment in several sections designed as stacked single-track tunnels when traveling underneath narrow roads. All stations except Shin-Yurigaoka will have platform doors. The line will share Odakyū’s Karakida Yard to store and maintain trains.
Code:
Station            Design (levels)  Platforms   Station concept
=======            ===============  ==========  ===============
Shin-Yurigaoka       Aboveground      Island    Improving regional hub functionality of Shin-Yurigaoka Station
                                                Shared use of existing station to allow for bilateral through-servicing with Odakyū Tama Line

Nagasawa            1 aboveground     Island    Improving convenience for two prefectural high schools and local residents
                    4 underground

Idai-mae            3 underground     Island    Improving convenience for users of St. Marianna University School of Medicine Hospital

Zōshiki             3 underground     Island    Improving convenience for passengers connecting with fixed-route buses

Inukura             2 underground     Island    Improving convenience for retail facilities and local residents

Miyamaedaira        3 underground     Island    Improving convenience for passengers connecting with Tōkyū Den'en Toshi Line
                                    (2 levels)  Revitalizing Miyamaedaira as a regional lifestyle hub and improving convenience for users of public facilities

Nogawa              3 underground      Side     Improving convenience for local residents
                                    (2 levels) 

Hisasue             3 underground     Island    Improving convenience for passengers connecting with fixed-route buses

Shibokuchi          3 underground     Island    Improving convenience for passengers connecting with fixed-route buses and users of Ida Hospital

Todoriki Ryokuchi   4 underground     Island    Improving convenience for users of the soccer stadium and other facilities

Musashi Kosugi      3 underground     Island    Improving regional hub functionality of Musashi Kosugi Station
                                                Improving convenience for passengers connecting with JR and Tōkyū lines
Cost summary
Code:
Item                     Construction cost  Details
                          (billions yen)
====                     =================  ==========
Land acquisition cost          21.8         Cost of acquiring land necessary for construction of structures, cost of establishing surface rights, cost of compensation for building relocation, etc.
Buildings                       2.0         Construction cost of general HQ, etc.
Track                           8.4         Cost of rails, sleepers, concrete trackbed, etc.
Station cost                   35.1         Construction cost of station platforms, stairs, entries / exits; cost of vertical circulation, safety equipment, architectural finishes, etc.
Tunnel cost                   233.2         Construction cost of station box and tunnels between stations
Transformer cost                6.6         Cost of transformer wiring, etc.
Electrical lines cost           7.5         Cost of electrical and signalling / train safety equipment
Communication lines cost       11.0         Cost of communications equipment
Other construction cost        19.1         Construction cost of railyard
Rolling stock cost             10.9         Cost of purchasing trains
Incidental costs               34.7         Cost of surveying work for construction, structural design, etc.
SUBTOTAL                      390.3

Consumption tax, etc.          43.3         Including construction interest, etc.
TOTAL                         433.6
Old June 17th, 2012, 07:00 AM   #3884
k.k.jetcar

I applaud the move to have interline running with the Odakyu Tama Line. But I don't understand the proposal for through service with the Kawasaki Daishi Line, what about the gauge difference?
Old June 17th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #3885
quashlo

Neither the committee recommendations nor committee evaluation report (see here) go into that in any detail, I assume because it's part of Phase II of the project. All the costs and service plan assumptions are for Phase I, between Shin-Yurigaoka and Musashi Kosugi.

I would think dual-gauging the Daishi Line would be the most likely option, though.
Old June 18th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #3886
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
I would think dual-gauging the Daishi Line would be the most likely option, though.
Yes, indeed. Difficult to conceive that Keikyu would regauge their Daishi Line to 1067mm, as it would also require new maintenance facilities be built for what essentially would be an orphan line vis-a-vis the rest of their network. Though the image of Keikyu red trains running on the Odakyu Tama Line does intrigue.
Old June 18th, 2012, 05:53 AM   #3887
quashlo

Kyōto to finalize LRT implementation plan by FY2015
http://kyoto-np.co.jp/top/article/20120614000029

Quote:
 京都市が次世代型路面電車(LRT)の導入に向け、学識経験者を交えた研究会を近く発足させることが分かった。今出川通で大規模な社会実験を行うなど一時は導入を本格的に検討したが、財政難や住民の反対で計画が立ち消えになった経緯がある。車の流入抑制などを理由にした計画の復活で、2015年度中にも整備計画の策定を目指す。

研究会は市職員と大学教授、経済や金融の専門家で構成。7月から導入路線や乗客需要、資金調達、路線整備の手法を調査する。12年度中に整備の方向性をまとめ、その後、市民参加の意見交換会や道路管理者との協議を進める。

LRTをめぐっては01年に京都商工会議所が出した提言などを機に導入議論が始まった。05年に京都駅-四条河原町間の河原町通や北野白梅町-出町柳間の今出川通など7路線に導入した際の採算性や整備費に関する報告書をまとめた。07年には今出川通で市バスをLRTに見立てた走行社会実験も行った。

しかし実験区間のLRT導入だけで326億円の事業費が見込まれ、また今出川通沿線住民の約半数が導入に反対したことで事実上、計画がとん挫。今出川通へのLRT導入を推進してきた市民団体も10年4月に解散した。

市は「車中心社会からの転換を図り、観光客5千万人を維持するにはLRTは不可欠だ」と判断し、再検討する。路線によっては反対も予想される。

■次世代型路面電車(LRT) 低床式の軽量車両を使う新しい路面電車。乗り降りが容易で、省エネ性にも優れる。路上の専用軌道を走るため定時運行が可能で、建設費は地下鉄の10分の1程度とされる。
It was revealed that Kyōto City is looking to establish an investigative committee including academic experts in preparation for introduction of a light rail transit (LRT) system. LRT has been considered in Kyōto in depth before, including a trial bus-based service, but the proposal was shelved as a result of municipal budgetary issues and opposition from residents. The latest version of the plan aims to reduce the influx of vehicles into the city, and the municipal government hopes to publish an implementation plan as early as sometime in FY2015.

The committee will be comprised of city staff, university professors, and experts in economics and finance. Starting in July, the committee will study potential routes, estimated ridership demand, funding strategies, and implementation methods. The committee will establish a policy direction sometime this fiscal year, followed by public workshops to gather public opinion and negotiations with the agencies responsible for the roads.

Debate regarding introduction of LRT began in 2001 when the Kyōto Chamber of Commerce and Industry submitted a formal proposal. In 2005, a report was published, looking at the financial feasibility and estimated project cost of seven different routes, including a Kawaramachi-dōri alignment between Kyōto Station and Shijō–Kawaramachi and an Imadegawa-dōri alignment between Kitano Hakubaichō and Demachiyanagi. There was also trial service along Imadegawa-dōri in 2007 using municipal buses designed to imitate the possible LRT line.

However, introduction of a real LRT service on the trial bus segment alone would cost ¥32.6 billion, and about half of residents along Imadegawa-dōri objected to the project, which was eventually shelved. The citizens’ group pushing for an LRT along Imadegawa-dōri eventually disbanded in April 2010. But the city now says that LRT is critical to turning away from an auto-oriented society and maintaining the city’s 50 million annual visitors.

Someone uploaded some new clips of Kyōto’s municipal streetcar system, particularly shots from 1970 of the Fushimi Line / Inari Line right before it was to be abandoned. If they had only preserved the network, they probably wouldn’t be having all these issues trying to get it rebuilt.

Old June 18th, 2012, 05:54 AM   #3888
quashlo

Hitachi delivers first of new Tsukuba Express trains

On 2012.06.11, Hitachi delivered TX-2171F, the first of three additional trains (18 cars total) for the Tsukuba Express (TX) that will enter service this fall to help ease overcrowding on the line during the morning rush hour. These are 6-car TX-2000 series units, and the TX’s first new units in four years. More good news for the TX, which continues to surprise me with ridership growth… It’s pretty much a full-fledged line now, with 20 tph during the morning rush hour and 10 tph off-peak.

Scenes at Minami-Urawa, Higashi-Urawa, Higashi-Kawaguchi, and Tennōdai (2012.06.11):

A quick tour (with Portuguese subtitles) through Moriya Station, perhaps the station seeing some of the largest new development on the line.

Racing a 15-car Jōban Line rapid between Minami-Senju and Kita-Senju (and leaving it in the dust… ).

Old June 18th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #3889
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 460

Latest Tokyu Toyoko line/ Metro Fukutoshin line report: Shibuya Station

Workers are moving rapidly to finish up the platform door installation on what will become the new tracks 4 and 5 (inside tracks) by the deadline of 1 July 2012. As such, there won't be a false floor over the middle tracks so they also must install signage as well to properly us to where the trains will be stopping.

I noticed that this stairwell down to platform 3 was re-opened this morning, so I decided to use it-- and what's this?? It's a bank of LCD monitors that will show the destinations of upcoming trains. Notice the stickers over the tops of install. Where it says "3-4 Ikebukuro/Wako-Shi", it's actually covering up the destinations that are utimately meant for that platform-- Jyuugaoka, Yokohama, Motomachi-Chuukagai. If you stand close to it, you can see the embossed edges. The other monitor has "5-6 Ikebukuro/Wako-Shi" covered up.

On the B4 level, they installed LED boards right as you get off the escalator. Again, they're covering the true nature of tracks 3-4 here too. Also looking to the left of that sign, that gray panel is really covering up the LED boards for tracks 5-6.
It looks like these 2 panels will actually function as one with a lot of information per line. The first panel is labeled with Track#, Service level (Local, Exp), Destination, and Departing Time. The second panel continues with a long "remarks" line that will show what stations the train will make stops for and what other lines it's thru-running over and what level of service it'll be come there too (i.e. an express becoming a Tojo line local)

Should be interesting to see what happens on the 1st of July! That's a Monday, so I'll take my SLR to work with me and see if I can get some really good shots of the new gates once the walls come down.

Temporary wall while construction goes on. They've already installed the rails for the platform doors underneath the black mats. It'll take them about an hour to re-install them once the deck is gone.

Last edited by starrwulfe; June 24th, 2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: image rehost
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #3890
hakubi

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Hitachi delivers first of new Tsukuba Express trains

On 2012.06.11, Hitachi delivered TX-2171F, the first of three additional trains (18 cars total) for the Tsukuba Express (TX) that will enter service this fall to help ease overcrowding on the line during the morning rush hour. These are 6-car TX-2000 series units, and the TX’s first new units in four years. More good news for the TX, which continues to surprise me with ridership growth… It’s pretty much a full-fledged line now, with 20 tph during the morning rush hour and 10 tph off-peak.
Is there a physical connection somewhere between JRE's track and Tsukuba's? Or do these need to go on the road for some distance?
hakubi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #3891
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakubi View Post
Is there a physical connection somewhere between JRE's track and Tsukuba's? Or do these need to go on the road for some distance?
Looks like the rolling stock was trucked from Tsuchiura Station:
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #3892
TWK90
Infrastructure

Likes (Received): 3171

Quote:
Standards:
  • Design maximum speed: 90 km/h
  • Gauge: 1,067 mm
  • Running method: Adhesion propulsion
  • Rolling stock: 20 m cars, 136 pax capacity per lead car, 145 pax capacity per middle car
Ridership demand: Approx. 204,000 pax / day

Adhesion propulsion = linear motor propulsion?
TWK90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #3893
quashlo

Sorry, I had a bit of difficulty finding an appropriate terminology in English for that, so it does sound a bit odd... The Japanese is 粘着駆動.

You can see the details on the Japanese Wiki, but it's basically any system where friction between the train's wheels and the rails or tracks is used to propel the train forward. This is in contrast to cable systems, (rack / cable railways or funiculars / ropeways), maglev systems (like Linimo), and linear motor systems (like Toei Ōedo Line).

So, the answer to your question is no. The line will be through-servicing with both the Odakyū Tama Line and Keikyū Daishi Line, anyways, and these are standard steel-on-steel rail.
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:28 AM   #3894
hakubi

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Sorry, I had a bit of difficulty finding an appropriate terminology in English for that, so it does sound a bit odd... The Japanese is 粘着駆動.

You can see the details on the Japanese Wiki, but it's basically any system where friction between the train's wheels and the rails or tracks is used to propel the train forward. This is in contrast to cable systems, (rack / cable railways or funiculars / ropeways), maglev systems (like Linimo), and linear motor systems (like Toei Ōedo Line).

So, the answer to your question is no. The line will be through-servicing with both the Odakyū Tama Line and Keikyū Daishi Line, anyways, and these are standard steel-on-steel rail.
The term 'adhesion' is always used in the context of railways rather than traction. I guess there's some difference but I don't know what it is. I figured adhesion propulsion was a conventional railcar on tracks. Also, notice that Japanese wiki article links to the Rail Adhesion article on the English wiki.
hakubi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #3895
k.k.jetcar

For "new technology", maybe they can use the B-CHOP system as described in a previous post. I think an identical or similar system has/had been testing on the Den'en Toshi Line.
Old June 21st, 2012, 06:27 AM   #3896
quashlo

Fuji Electric tapped for door motors for Macau LRT
http://www.fujielectric.co.jp/about/...000053896.html

Quote:
富士電機株式会社(東京都品川区、代表取締役社長:北澤通宏)は、三菱重工業株式会社(東京都品川区、代表取締役社長:大宮英明)から、マカオ政府が建設を予定している軌道系交通システム(Macau Light Rapid Transit: LRT、以下「マカオLRT」)向けに「電気式戸閉装置」を受注しましたのでお知らせいたします。

商談概要
マカオでは、人口の増加を背景に郊外の住宅化が進んでおり、市中心部と郊外を結ぶ新たな交通手段が求められています。マカオLRTは、マカオ北部とタイパ島を結ぶ全長20kmの新たな交通機関として、2015年4月に開業を予定しています。
当社は、マカオLRTの全自動無人運転のゴムタイヤ式車両(APM)用に「電気式戸閉装置」を2012年秋より約1年間で合計440台を納入する予定です。

製品の特長

(1) 高い信頼性
電気モータ駆動方式を採用し、当社が得意とするパワーエレクトロニクス技術により高度な開閉制御が可能な「電気式戸閉装置」を開発・製作し、鉄道運行における厳しい安全機能の要求に対応しています。

(2)軽量化の実現
マカオLRTは高架橋を運行するため、車両および車両搭載機器に対し厳格な軽量化が求められます。納入する「電気式戸閉装置」は従来製品比約30%の軽量化を実現しました。

(3)安全性の追求
安全性をさらに高めた製品を提供するため、鉄道用機能安全規格(SIL)の認定を取得する予定です。安全機能の設計開発において第三者認証による審査を行い、より安全性の高いものづくりを目指します。

In more Macau LRT news, Mitsubishi gave the contract to supply the door motors on the new rolling stock to Fuji Electric. According to the press release, Fuji Electric equipment was selected because of the high reliability, lightweight design (about 30% lighter than existing designs), and commitment to safety.
Old June 21st, 2012, 08:38 PM   #3897
quashlo

If you've been looking for a detailed list of urban rail in Japan, there's now an exhaustive tabulation available:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...stems_in_Japan

So far, it's only for the 10 largest metropolitan areas in Japan:
  • Fukuoka‒Kita-Kyūshū
  • Hiroshima
  • Nagoya (Chūkyō)
  • Niigata
  • Okayama
  • Ōsaka‒Kōbe‒Kyōto (Keihanshin)
  • Sapporo
  • Sendai
  • Shizuoka‒Hamamatsu
  • Tōkyō (Kantō)
Data includes route km, stations, and ridership, down to the line level where the data is available. All the source data is readily available on the Web, but it’s scattered in hundreds of websites… This is the probably the only list that compiles everything in a single location. Everything is included except for airport people movers, cable / funicular systems, and other trivial systems like the Ueno Zoo Monorail.

Greater Tōkyō / National Capital Region clearly dominates:
  • Public subways: 139 stations, 162.4 km
  • Major private railways: 842 stations, 1,425.9 km
  • Semi-major private railways: 24 stations, 26.5 km
  • JR East metropolitan network: 623 stations, 2,279.2 km
  • Other major railways: 251 stations, 318.8 km
  • Other minor railways: 262 stations, 501.9 km
JR East’s share is especially impressive, as the network length is almost as large as all the other groupings combined. JR East is also the largest single operator in terms of ridership, carrying approx. 14-15 million daily, or 5.1 to 5.5 billion annually. However, the major private railways (Keikyū, Keiō, Keisei, Odakyū, Sōtetsu, Seibu, Tōbu, and Tōkyū, plus Tōkyō Metro) aggregated together account for the largest grouping by ridership (approx. 19.5 million daily, 7.1 billion annually) and number of stations despite a smaller overall network length—obviously since their services are generally geared towards the center of the metropolis. In contrast, the publicly operated subways (Toei Subway + Yokohama Municipal Subway) only carry approx. 2.9 million daily, or 1.1 billion annually. There’s double-counting since a not-unsubstantial number of passengers use more than one operator, but it’s still interesting to see the relative size of the groupings.

The Keihanshin area also does pretty well, although it’s clearly several notches below Tōkyō:
  • Public subways: 164 stations, 199.6 km
  • Major private railways: 510 stations, 743.6 km
  • Semi-major private railways: 59 stations, 83.4 km
  • JR West metropolitan network: 361 stations, 985.7 km
  • Other major railways: 178 stations, 179.3 km
  • Other minor railways: 109 stations, 185.8 km

Also a bit interesting to look at places like Niigata and Sendai, where JR trains comprise the entirety or majority of the urban rail system.

Blackraven liked this post
Old June 22nd, 2012, 02:01 AM   #3898
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

I am surprised that the Ginza line carries so many people, given its short, narrow trains.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:07 AM   #3899
quashlo

Yeah, Marunouchi Line actually has more riders, but the Ginza Line comes pretty close with only 2/3 of the stations and half the route km. Probably helps that it hits some very important districts, including Asakusa, Nihonbashi, Ginza, Shimbashi, Toranomon / Kasumigaseki, Omotesandō, and Shibuya—for several of these, it's the only Tōkyō Metro line serving that area.

I can only imagine what it would be like without the Hanzōmon Line paralleling from Shibuya... With the headways already at the minimum during the rush (2 minutes, on the dot), all those Tōkyū passengers would probably overload the line.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:57 PM   #3900
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

In addition to the fewer stations and shorter length, I thought the Ginza line had only 6-car trains (while the Marunouchi Line had 10 car trains?) which makes the Ginza Line's numbers even more impressive...
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote